GUILTY WA - Bethany Storro charged in acid attack hoax, Vancouver, 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Updating the list to add another "blame someone of another race" criminals:

Diane Downs, who claimed that a black man flagged her down, while she and her children were driving down an isolated, country road.

HOAXER Tawana Brawley
, who claimed white men raped her, and covered her with excrement.

Charles Stuart, who murdered his wife and blamed it on a black man. Hundreds of black men were hauled in, until police figured out the lie.

Susan Smith, who killed two sons, and blamed it on a black man. I saw through her story as soon as I saw her "Amos N' Andy" perp (who'd have faced her, yet the perp was shown in profile).

HOAXER Ashley Todd, the McCain volunteer who claimed a "dark-skinned man" (Obama supporter) carved the letter "B" on her cheek.

HOAXER Bonnie Sweeten, claimed that "black men kidnapped us and shoved us into the trunk of this car" and took her daughter to Florida.

HOAXER Bethany Storro, who claimed that a black woman threw acid in her face on a downtown Vancouver, Washington Street.

Add Casey Anthony, blaming the presumably hispanic Zenieda Gonzales!

You're right - I can't find info if she said he was black or white?

From that warm spring night on May 19, 1983, when Downs claimed a "shaggy-haired stranger" had shot her kids, to the bizarre spectacle a year later when a very pregnant Downs appeared at her six-week trial in Eugene, to her brief escape from the Oregon State Penitentiary three years later, the entire tale has seemed like a made-for-TV murder mystery.

linky: http://www.katu.com/news/94284344.html

Dairygirl is correct, and I found a reference, mgardner:
" She described the man as "white...in his late twenties...about five feet, nine, 150 to 170...dark hair, a shag-wavy cut and a stubble of a beard." He wore "a Levi jacket (and) an off-colored T-shirt."
Reference: TruTV.com.

I was absolutely wrong, and never mind admitting it.

The white supremacists are dancing right now, after they read what others had dug up: CLICK HERE.

Bethany's sister is married to a very handsome black man, and has a child.
The sister is a very beautiful blonde.
The husband's blog is very right-wing, anti-Obama.

Kinda fits, IMO, with the "Obama-looking perp sketch".

There's enough going on in this case, to make Freud :sick: :crazy:

The Discovery Channel has a very good op-ed piece HERE.

Another one for the list:

Jennifer Carol Wilbanks (The Runaway Bride) ran away from home on April 26, 2005, in order to avoid her wedding with John Mason, her fiancé, on April 30. Her disappearance from Duluth, Georgia, sparked a nationwide search and intensive media coverage, including some media speculation that Mason had killed her. On April 29, Wilbanks called Mason from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and falsely claimed that she had been kidnapped and sexually assaulted by a Hispanic male and a white woman.

While I can appreciate the fact that this 'victim' is ill and needs serious medical intervention for her mental health, I would hope that she is in fact charged with offences that will warrant her appearance before a judge. I hope that the judge will mandate care for her but also mandate a very high number of community service hours working in homeless or women's shelters.

Another one for the list:

Jennifer Carol Wilbanks (The Runaway Bride) ran away from home on April 26, 2005, in order to avoid her wedding with John Mason, her fiancé, on April 30. Her disappearance from Duluth, Georgia, sparked a nationwide search and intensive media coverage, including some media speculation that Mason had killed her. On April 29, Wilbanks called Mason from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and falsely claimed that she had been kidnapped and sexually assaulted by a Hispanic male and a white woman.

I've been looking on the web for a comprehensive list of such claims - and don't see one.

Would it be worth creating one, for reference -- or would it get forgotten? (It's one of those things that would need constant updating and help from other people.)

While I can appreciate the fact that this 'victim' is ill and needs serious medical intervention for her mental health, I would hope that she is in fact charged with offences that will warrant her appearance before a judge. I hope that the judge will mandate care for her but also mandate a very high number of community service hours working in homeless or women's shelters.

Police have charged her with theft.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/20/woman-in-acid-attack-hoax-charged-with-theft/?hpt=T2

I've been looking on the web for a comprehensive list of such claims - and don't see one.

Would it be worth creating one, for reference -- or would it get forgotten? (It's one of those things that would need constant updating and help from other people.)
We had a whole Forum here on Jennifer Wilbanks, it got archived. I almost got banned for daring to speak out against her when her hoax got exposed! Just ask JBean, she went through it with me...

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...towels_to_wipe_drain_cleaner_on_her_face.html

Bethany Storro charged in self-inflicted acid attack

"A suicidal Bethany Storro disfigured herself using drain cleaner, then invented an attacker after realizing that she could use the injury to get a new face, according to documents filed in Clark County Superior Court.

Prosecutors plan to charge the 28-year-old woman with three counts of second-degree theft in connection with money she accepted through bank accounts set up in her name.

"When I realized it wasn't killing me, I thought maybe this was the answer to all my problems, to have a completely different face," The Columbian newspaper of Vancouver quotes from an affidavit filed Monday in Clark County Superior Court...."

more at link

....and lots more details of what she told police.

I'm not buying the "suicide attempt" claim. I think she knew exactly what her goal was ... and she was close to achieving the fame and money, when people started questioning her.

MSNBC.com has some surprising details, based on the affadavit of her confession:

There are records of her buying drain cleaner and gloves.
She says she put it on her face, in the park, "hours before" she claimed the attack took place.
She didn't think people would question her for as long as they did.
Money raised could total $30,000+

Three counts of theft with aggravating circumstances, based on her (and the family's????) misuse of the money people had donated to her:
"...she spent about $1,500 of the money on dinners for her parents, a train ticket for her sister, "stuff at Target" clothes for herself and round-trip train tickets to Seattle for her and her mother for the weekend of Sept. 12. She also used the money to pay off a $620 bill to a Portland clinic where she had a laser peel on Aug. 30, according to KGW TV."

LASER PEEL the same day she put acid on her face????

We had a whole Forum here on Jennifer Wilbanks, it got archived. I almost got banned for daring to speak out against her when her hoax got exposed! Just ask JBean, she went through it with me...

Me too, somewhere else.

I think we are GREAT at supporting victims, but sometimes in our rush to do so, we diminish the true victims by falling for obvious hoaxes.
Once I heard that Wilbanks' cut hair had been found, I knew it was a hoax. (Plus, the fact that her fiance looked like a very large woman - ha ha)
Remember, that one had a religious angle to it, also.

The Vancouver Voice was the only media entity brave enough to publish what many were thinking -- and they have more details of her statement HERE.

The three theft counts are for misusing over $750 from three parties:
--Michael Kite, a California resident who gave Storro $1,000 using a Pay Pal account
--Anytime Fitness, which held a fundraiser for Storro,
--Safeway gave her a personal check for $3,000 at the hospital.

They're going to pick her up as soon as she's released from the hospital.

Maybe make a wikipedia topic out of it. That way it could be added to by those so inclined. I am not inclined to want to tend to it, however.

I didn't read the brother in law's website, but I could tell by a few of his tweets that he is VERY far to the right, as Laytonian mentioned previously. Probably as extreme, if not more, as those Stormfront people.
Personally, I would steer clear of all of them.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...towels_to_wipe_drain_cleaner_on_her_face.html

Bethany Storro charged in self-inflicted acid attack

"A suicidal Bethany Storro disfigured herself using drain cleaner, then invented an attacker after realizing that she could use the injury to get a new face, according to documents filed in Clark County Superior Court.

Prosecutors plan to charge the 28-year-old woman with three counts of second-degree theft in connection with money she accepted through bank accounts set up in her name.

"When I realized it wasn't killing me, I thought maybe this was the answer to all my problems, to have a completely different face," The Columbian newspaper of Vancouver quotes from an affidavit filed Monday in Clark County Superior Court...."

more at link

I don't believe the suicide idea. Why would she think putting it on her face would kill her? I notice she didn't drink it, which would have been a much more obvious way to commit suicide.

I didn't read the brother in law's website, but I could tell by a few of his tweets that he is VERY far to the right, as Laytonian mentioned previously. Probably as extreme, if not more, as those Stormfront people.
Personally, I would steer clear of all of them.

I agree, and thought the same thing: "kinda odd for a black man to out-hate the white supremacists."

The whole family.......stay away, stay away.

I don't believe the suicide idea. Why would she think putting it on her face would kill her? I notice she didn't drink it, which would have been a much more obvious way to commit suicide.

I believe she was unhappy with the laser peel (a Safeway deli worker getting a LASER PEEL?????) -- and found a way that she could earn better money by "inspiring people".

I truly believe she had a plan. She'll emerge from her psychiatric stay, plea bargain, beg forgiveness, be SAVED AGAIN, and go on her speaking tour.

Oprah's waiting.

I think she should have been charged for wasting LE's time and making false claims too. I know she has problems but the more we read about her, the more it seems it was for a new face, look and attention.

Goz

This case makes me so sad. WHY would she do this to herself, and why blame it on a black woman, when she herself is white. I just find that totally disgusting. If you want to F yourself up, go ahead. But don't blame it on a black woman - we have enough problems in this world. I definitely hope she's charged with a hate crime, and has to pay back all the money LE has spent trying to look for this fictitous person.

And I wonder who's paying all her medical bills? Is this an attempted suicide? And her poor co-workers at the grocery store who collected money for her. I hope they get it all back!

MOO

Mel

It's like women who file false rape claims or kidnapping or car jacking.. they go for the worse case scenario, the things they know will outrage people the most.

imo

And to add mo about the SI aspect of this case... I just don't see it. I am a self inflictor and while I realize not everyone who self inflicts is the same or engages in the same types of behaviors, this just doesn't fit IMO. If she had a history of SI it wouldn't go from cutting or banging or biting types of behaviors to all of a sudden throwing acid at or disfiguring yourself. There would have been signs that people close to her would have seen, could not have missed if she were that deep into SI.

I think it was simply for attention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamonara
Back