GUILTY WA - Bethany Storro charged in acid attack hoax, Vancouver, 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO, she only said the suicide thing to get MORE pity. She didn't intend to kill herself! Hello!!!!! Just wiping drain cleaner on her face in a restroom? MOO. Especially since she's had no previous history of mental illness (according to her family).

Looking at her website, http://www.willowmaurice.com/, BS's sister looks like a cross between Paris Hilton and Martha Stuart... what some people might consider the "perfect" cross between an ideal housewife and a beautiful woman.

I wonder if BS was feeling like a failure because of her divorce... especially when she compared herself to her sister who at least on the surface seems to have the perfect family. Especially if BS was considering herself to be too old to have a chance at having the same thing. Low self esteem would fuel that fire as well.

If her story had been true and she was forgiving of a black woman for disfiguring her she could in her mind be an example of someone without prejudice since as quick as she was to blame a black woman, she was equally as quick to forgive this fictitious attacker. Since her sister is married to a black man, I wonder if that was a trait she felt was important too.

She may even feel like she is to blame for the failed marriage and that others are blaming her as well. She may be trying to cover up that perception by making herself a victim who has an extra special relationship with God and was receiving national attention for this relationship and the strength it was giving her.

If she did not want to divorce her husband I was also wondering if she did all this in part so that her wasband would come to her rescue.

As far as I understand, to forgive quickly is supposedly the christian thing to do.
If she was able to forgive quickly, then she (at least in her mind) was a very good christian, was she not?
As for her motives, she says herself that it was suicide or get plastic surgery.
I don't buy "suicide" because had she wanted to kill herself, why did she not just drink it? But the plastic surgery sounds plausible. If she said she were a victim of an attack, then she could have reasonably expected good Samaritans would donate money to her (which she apparently was spending rather quickly), and as a victim she could potentially get free plastic surgery she wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. And of course she would get attention as a victim of such a horrible "crime."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat..._faces_felony_theft_charges_for_spending.html

I also don't buy the suicide motive. Who tries to kill themselves by neatly applying acid to their face with a towel, carefully missing the eyes and lips? That's not an impulsive act of self-loathing, and it's not a coldly calculated attempt at the most lethal and accurate way to die; it's a calm, calculated action towards some other sort of goal.

I think she's being let off the hook way too lightly because of the "mental illness" card, here. I think she's either got nasty racial motives, or she has some kind of character disorder like malignant narcissism. She doesn't need "counseling," she needs consequences.

As far as I understand, to forgive quickly is supposedly the christian thing to do.
If she was able to forgive quickly, then she (at least in her mind) was a very good christian, was she not?
As for her motives, she says herself that it was suicide or get plastic surgery.
I don't buy "suicide" because had she wanted to kill herself, why did she not just drink it? But the plastic surgery sounds plausible. If she said she were a victim of an attack, then she could have reasonably expected good Samaritans would donate money to her (which she apparently was spending rather quickly), and as a victim she could potentially get free plastic surgery she wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. And of course she would get attention as a victim of such a horrible "crime."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat..._faces_felony_theft_charges_for_spending.html

To forgive is Christian.
To bear false witness against your neighbor, is not.

In her case, the Christian thing to do, would have been to admit to the police IN THE FIRST INTERVIEW, that she did it herself.

Taking the money and going on a spending spree -- with the knowledge of her family? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and there's a snake in that garden of eden.

I think she should have been charged for wasting LE's time and making false claims too. I know she has problems but the more we read about her, the more it seems it was for a new face, look and attention.

Goz

She's still lying. Throwing out "suicide" makes no sense, unless she'd drunk the acid.

WHAT does she mean, "new face"? Does she mean "new skin"?
She'd already had a laser peel, two weeks before.
Was she unhappy that she didn't look any different afterwards?

All she was trying to do, was gain public sympathy, money, and a future career as an inspirational speaker.

Suicide, my big butt.

i also don't buy the suicide motive. Who tries to kill themselves by neatly applying acid to their face with a towel, carefully missing the eyes and lips? That's not an impulsive act of self-loathing, and it's not a coldly calculated attempt at the most lethal and accurate way to die; it's a calm, calculated action towards some other sort of goal.

I think she's being let off the hook way too lightly because of the "mental illness" card, here. I think she's either got nasty racial motives, or she has some kind of character disorder like malignant narcissism. She doesn't need "counseling," she needs consequences.

ita!!

To forgive is Christian.

In her case, the Christian thing to do, would have been to admit to the police IN THE FIRST INTERVIEW, that she did it herself.

Taking the money and going on a spending spree -- with the knowledge of her family? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and there's a snake in that garden of eden.

Sadly this world is full of half Christians. It's a title they use when it makes them look good- they don't actually practice lol

To forgive is Christian.

I'd think the christian thing to do would be to not make up a story like this in a first place.

By NIGEL DUARA

VANCOUVER, Wash. - The Washington state woman who falsely claimed a stranger threw acid in her face is due in court in what will be her first public appearance since she held a hospital press conference nearly a month ago with her head swathed in bandages.

Bethany Storro of Vancouver is expected to plead not guilty Wednesday to three theft charges.

More at link:
http://headlines.verizon.com/headli..._us_article&_article=3108679&_ref=articlePage

Please don't judge what a Christian is or isn't by what this woman did -- please don't mock Christianity by what this woman did. Some of us are Christians, and we really try to walk the right walk...but we're human, too, and prone to failure with no intention to hurt anyone (I'm not talking about this woman in particular, but talking about myself here).

By NIGEL DUARA

VANCOUVER, Wash. - The Washington state woman who falsely claimed a stranger threw acid in her face is due in court in what will be her first public appearance since she held a hospital press conference nearly a month ago with her head swathed in bandages.

Bethany Storro of Vancouver is expected to plead not guilty Wednesday to three theft charges.

More at link:
http://headlines.verizon.com/headli..._us_article&_article=3108679&_ref=articlePage

The Columbian just posted an update with a picture of BS: CLICK HERE to see her.

I would have expected her to apologize to the community by now.

Please don't judge what a Christian is or isn't by what this woman did -- please don't mock Christianity by what this woman did. Some of us are Christians, and we really try to walk the right walk...but we're human, too, and prone to failure with no intention to hurt anyone (I'm not talking about this woman in particular, but talking about myself here).

I'm agnostic, and also have no intention to hurt anyone. My family's morals are very high, and we expect the best of everyone. I don't think Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Mormons or other religions have a patent on moral actions.

I believe we're all individuals, and must be judged on our own actions.

In the case of Bethany Storro, I am judging her by her self-proclaimed statements, beliefs, and desires.

ETA: I should have added that I didn't mean this in reference to only the most recent posts, but the posts made on this thread as a whole, that seem to attack religion or Christianity as a whole. I suppose it's difficult to resist, though, when she, herself, points to her faith as a large part of who she is.

I sincerely wish this lady all the mental health care she so obviously needs. If she has to pay for her wrongdoing I can support that but I really really hope that while paying for her actions she be given intensive mental health assistance.

I will say again, anyone willing to go to that length has got to be filled with unimiaginable self loathing.

This is diferent that self-inflictors (cutters). From my research, cutters (SIs) are seeking to releive and inner (mental) pain by giving it an outward (physical) expression through the act of self harm.

I have known self harmers. I do not think this lady is one. I do think she has some sort of serious mental health issue that needs immediate attention.

I noticed that as well. But the doctor said it was something as strong as hydrocloric or sulfuric (excuse misspelling) acid, so I don't think she would have used that for a facial. However, it does appear that she purposely spread the acid on her face. Interesting idea though and I will be looking to see if anything comes up about this. Could someone really be that dumb to put acid on their face for a facial peel? I suppose stranger things have happened.

I honestly dont believe this was an innocent thing, wouldnt she have 'tested' the product on a small bit of skin first considering she knew it wasnt somethingone uses for a facial? Also, even if she didnt think to do a test the acid surely it would have damaged the cloth that she was attempting to use to spread it on her face as its strong enough to eat through clothes.

My assumption is this - she poured the acid into a towel and then pressed it against her face with both hands wide open, this would explain the pattern of the burns.

I honestly dont believe this was an innocent thing, wouldnt she have 'tested' the product on a small bit of skin first considering she knew it wasnt somethingone uses for a facial? Also, even if she didnt think to do a test the acid surely it would have damaged the cloth that she was attempting to use to spread it on her face as its strong enough to eat through clothes.

My assumption is this - she poured the acid into a towel and then pressed it against her face with both hands wide open, this would explain the pattern of the burns.

It's been reported she used drain cleaner to put on herself to either kill herself (which makes no sense) or get facial surgery. I've seen people suggesting she was trying to give herself a facial-but who is going to use drain cleaner for a facial?
She could have got glycolic acid for ~ 30 $ to use in a facial.

http://www.columbian.com/videos/2010/sep/29/84/
Video of her in court.

My biggest issue with this isnt about race or religion - Im angry that she did something that ended up taking a lot of resources that others actually needed. And seriously.. Since they were looking for the woman that she said did it Im certain there were people getting hassled if they had any sort of resemblance to the drawing.

The balloon boy while cruel, was quite different than this. We found the boy was safe within a couple hours of the news breaking, there was never a suspect and most importantly it didnt make people all over the country feel scared and nervous that it could happen to them.

I wonder if shes bi polar, they typically self harm in order to get attention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamonara
Back