Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Unfortunately it was a group that he is a member of that shared their sons announcement regarding the Celebration of Life.

Absolutely heartbreaking. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So after all these days of going around with this we come down to the only plausible explanation is: some kind of attack happened while Cheryl was still parked at the library or possibly on the path. Does that sound about right?

ETA: no, it wouldn't be the path. She wouldn't have left her car. She was heading back home.

I don't feel certain of that at all. (Of anything yet, really!) It seems one possibility is that she was abducted (whether in her own car or led to someone else's car). But we don't even know for sure if she was the one who parked her car by the library or even if she is for sure the one who texted. (I don't necessarily think this is a strong possibility, but for all we know someone accosted her as soon as she left her house and joined her in the car.)

And I still think it's also a sad possibility that she took her own life but tried to stage it to look like an abduction/murder so that her husband would be able to collect life insurance. (I have NO suicidal tendencies and never have, but if I did, I would probably be stopped by the idea of leaving my family high and dry. I could see myself trying to make it look like someone else took my life just to make sure they were taken care of financially after I was gone.) That would also give her reason to put herself in a place where she would be found.

This case isn't exactly straightforward!

ETA: I googled suicide made to look like homicide and it's definitely not a new idea. I can't seem to copy the links on my phone right now, but Census worker Bill Sparkman is a good example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When an adult goes missing and is then found dead, although there are endless scenarios and possibilities, in general there are only a few causes:

1. Voluntarily Missing (Runaway): With Cheryl's body being found it is clear she didn't 'run off to Mexico' to start a new life. This theory/cause can't be true.

2. Suicide: Obviously sleuths on this thread are divided as to whether she did or did not commit suicide. I'd love to know how many people felt she committed suicide before they read about the 'self inflicted cuts'. The wording of that statement makes it sound as if Cheryl had been in the habit of harming herself or had harmed herself on that morning. Although that wording tweaked the idea of suicide in my mind, I really think it was meant to imply that the cuts were superficial, and caused by normal activities (such as an accident with knife or scissors) as compared to defensive wounds or injuries caused by an attacker. It is strange that the information about the cuts would even be released to the public, if it is in fact unrelated to the case. Perhaps those were the only marks/injuries on her body. With the family reporting no history of mental illness or drug/alcohol abuse, and Cheryl texting that she would 'probably ride home with her carpool (future plans) it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that she committed suicide. Dead bodies can't hide themselves. So if she did kill herself she would have had to do so in the culvert or in a place where she could fall/roll/stumble into the culvert. Toxicology results may help here.

3. Accident: Sometimes people fall off cliffs or get drunk and drown in lakes. When their body is found it might be unclear at first if it is an accident, suicide, or homicide. Based on where Cheryl was found in relation to her car I can't think of any plausible scenario that would account for an accidental death involving no foul play. If she was struck by a vehicle walking to the bus someone might have scooped up her body and disposed of it--but autopsy would have revealed more injuries and possibly forensic evidence at the scene of the accident. And that would not explain blood in her vehicle. It think there is no, or very low, possibility she died accidentally.

4. Abduction/Murder: MSM makes it seem as though there is evidence of Cheryl being alive and well on her way to work around 7:00am. Although it never explicitly says that Cheryl can be seen on video, or seen driving her car, the implication is there. The implication is also there that Cheryl sent the text about forgetting her badge--although some will debate. Since Cheryl didn't make it home to get her badge, and didn't make it to work that day, the most likely scenario is that she was abducted and murdered shortly after sending the text (her phone was reportedly powered down shortly after the message). I wonder if the autopsy has pinpointed a time of death (did she die soon after the text or many days later), and how long she was in the culvert (dumped on the first day or closer to the day she was found)? I think there is a high probability she was abducted and murdered, but why (motive) and who (random stranger versus friend/acquaintance/coworker/neighbour)?

Couple quick thoughts....

The red tape on her car to me is, like seal tape, you know, sealed up, towed, pictures taken before it is thoroughly gone over. Not tape marking any blood or prints.

And if it was a random stranger, he or she put Cheryl in THEIR vehicle or grab her, as she perhaps did walk through the park. Nope, doesn't work, she was still with her car..
If we go on the theory she left home, parked at the library, because the other lot was full as her car was found by her husband where it is believed she parked that morning? texted her friend and phone was turned off..what ever it was, it happened very fast, it had to have happened 7:02ish, 7:10ish, the last time, as it is stated somewhere, her phone was turned off. Just does not compute for me.

The only time Cheryl would have been stopped would be before she left home, stop signs or lights (if any), pulled over to text (possibly at library.) Abduction requires to stop unless the perp was already in the car.

When an adult goes missing and is then found dead, although there are endless scenarios and possibilities, in general there are only a few causes:

1. Voluntarily Missing (Runaway): With Cheryl's body being found it is clear she didn't 'run off to Mexico' to start a new life. This theory/cause can't be true.

2. Suicide: Obviously sleuths on this thread are divided as to whether she did or did not commit suicide. I'd love to know how many people felt she committed suicide before they read about the 'self inflicted cuts'. The wording of that statement makes it sound as if Cheryl had been in the habit of harming herself or had harmed herself on that morning. Although that wording tweaked the idea of suicide in my mind, I really think it was meant to imply that the cuts were superficial, and caused by normal activities (such as an accident with knife or scissors) as compared to defensive wounds or injuries caused by an attacker. It is strange that the information about the cuts would even be released to the public, if it is in fact unrelated to the case. Perhaps those were the only marks/injuries on her body. With the family reporting no history of mental illness or drug/alcohol abuse, and Cheryl texting that she would 'probably ride home with her carpool (future plans) it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that she committed suicide. Dead bodies can't hide themselves. So if she did kill herself she would have had to do so in the culvert or in a place where she could fall/roll/stumble into the culvert. Toxicology results may help here.

3. Accident: Sometimes people fall off cliffs or get drunk and drown in lakes. When their body is found it might be unclear at first if it is an accident, suicide, or homicide. Based on where Cheryl was found in relation to her car I can't think of any plausible scenario that would account for an accidental death involving no foul play. If she was struck by a vehicle walking to the bus someone might have scooped up her body and disposed of it--but autopsy would have revealed more injuries and possibly forensic evidence at the scene of the accident. And that would not explain blood in her vehicle. It think there is no, or very low, possibility she died accidentally.

4. Abduction/Murder: MSM makes it seem as though there is evidence of Cheryl being alive and well on her way to work around 7:00am. Although it never explicitly says that Cheryl can be seen on video, or seen driving her car, the implication is there. The implication is also there that Cheryl sent the text about forgetting her badge--although some will debate. Since Cheryl didn't make it home to get her badge, and didn't make it to work that day, the most likely scenario is that she was abducted and murdered shortly after sending the text (her phone was reportedly powered down shortly after the message). I wonder if the autopsy has pinpointed a time of death (did she die soon after the text or many days later), and how long she was in the culvert (dumped on the first day or closer to the day she was found)? I think there is a high probability she was abducted and murdered, but why (motive) and who (random stranger versus friend/acquaintance/coworker/neighbour)?

I'm pretty much thinking like you.

I don't understand why the ME would have disclosed and described the finger cuts the way he did if he wasn't comfortable leading people to the idea that it was suicide. (And that's a possibility.) But, barring an elaborate scheme by the victim to make her suicide look like a homicide, I'm now more inclined to think someone either car-jacked her or took the opportunity to abduct her when she parked.

I live in a super safe neighborhood in Seattle up on a hill, and several weeks ago on a Sat at noon in the midst of lots of activity on our little Main Street, a dude who had escaped from authorities days before tried to car jack a woman's car. Though he threatened her, she decided to yell and scream and go ballistic. But, had she not, he could have easily made off with her car, and her. TOTALLY random.

I know that CD's husband was shown by surveillance to have left the house at 6:50, but did it also show her leaving for sure minutes later? Anyone know? Thx!!

The buses at this station, are they city buses that make multiple stops or express buses?

The buses at this station, are they city buses that make multiple stops or express buses?

They are right on the highway, so I am assuming that if not all express buses, they would at least certainly be in the mix. I am going to take the long way to work tomorrow and go by all these places.

They are right on the highway, so I am assuming that if not all express buses, they would at least certainly be in the mix. I am going to take the long way to work tomorrow and go by all these places.

I can probably determine online. Don't want you getting grabbed!

The only time Cheryl would have been stopped would be before she left home, stop signs or lights (if any), pulled over to text (possibly at library.) Abduction requires to stop unless the perp was already in the car.

Interesting point to ponder--that the abductor was already in the car. Can anyone confirm if her vehicle was parked in a locked, enclosed garage, or if it was in a carport, on a driveway or street on the morning she left for work?

Still, I think she met up with foul play when she stopped to make the text. She may have gotten out of her vehicle to check her trunk for the badge, or check in a purse/bag in her backseat. She may have been overtaken as she got back in, or somebody could have jumped in the passenger side when she was either texting or searching for the badge.

@teatime Cheryl is shown leaving her house on surveillance that morning. How could she be in the culvert when she's physically on camera?

DatelineFan - unless this information was released today, the last I read is that the house surveillance camera catures Me. DeBoer leaving the house at 6:45am and a car that looks like Cheryl's was captured on a traffic cam or other surveillance camera at the intersection of 268th St. SW and 58th Ave., heading west.

There was no mention of her being seen in the car or leaving her house. Did I miss something?

This is probably not at all likely, but maybe the ME was being asked about her autopsy and couldn't reveal anything specific due to the ongoing investigation. Maybe something like "Can't you give us anything?" and he/she said "Sure, she had a couple of cuts on two fingers that may have been self inflicted/accidental." And we're all just jumping on that because its all we have? Maybe?

I really think the finger cuts are mentioned because they may be the most visible injuries to her body. I don't think finger cuts are indicative of self harm.

Interesting point to ponder--that the abductor was already in the car. Can anyone confirm if her vehicle was parked in a locked, enclosed garage, or if it was in a carport, on a driveway or street on the morning she left for work?

Still, I think she met up with foul play when she stopped to make the text. She may have gotten out of her vehicle to check her trunk for the badge, or check in a purse/bag in her backseat. She may have been overtaken as she got back in, or somebody could have jumped in the passenger side when she was either texting or searching for the badge.
Her car was quite small, and the windows were not tinted. I have a hard time believing she wouldn't easily spot someone in the car.

DatelineFan - unless this information was released today, the last I read is that the house surveillance camera catures Me. DeBoer leaving the house at 6:45am and a car that looks like Cheryl's was captured on a traffic cam or other surveillance camera at the intersection of 268th St. SW and 58th Ave., heading west.

There was no mention of her being seen in the car or leaving her house. Did I miss something?
Did you read the article? It states that Cheryl is shown leaving a few minutes later. I posted the article and quote twice, along with steelman.

I can't get this poor dear woman off of my mind.

My 53 year old best friend and I were discussing this timeline at great length. She lives 4 minutes away from me. If I was going to meet her and had to text her to say I would be running home for something, I can't imagine or envision stopping at the halfway point to text or to pull over to search my car. I'd drive the other two minutes to my house.

People have convincingly argued that she never made it all the way to the P&R that morning which tells me she turned around somewhere on the 4 minute drive.

I was out and about the morning of the 8th and it wasn't raining, but it was cool.

My immediate thought off the bat was that someone was in the car when she got in it. Someone said the car was too small to hide in... But I don't know... Maybe under a blanket?

I don't think she parked the car where it was left. I think she bled in it after she was forced back into her car on the passenger side. I think whomever got her saw her texts and left her car where they did as a stall. I am still clueless as to the why.

I have been on this forum a few times... And sometimes wondered about whether people who disappeared had committed suicide and sometimes it has been the case...but this really doesn't seem like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roiana