WA - Civil rights activist Rachel Dolezal pretending to be black, parents say #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's her new reality show.

Interestingly, there's already a somewhat similar reality show on VH1 that tests does DNA testing (but not ancestry testing)

VH1's 'Swab Stories' unlocks secrets with mobile DNA truck - NY Daily News
[...]
The question “Who’s Your Daddy” takes on a whole new meaning with VH1's new reality series.

In “Swab Stories,” Jared Rosenthal helps people solve personal mysteries by having them jump aboard his DNA testing truck for a swab.

The show sees Rosenthal hit the road in his Winnebago, with its eye-catching, graffitied “Who’s Your Daddy” logo, on a mission to help people unlock their family secrets.

[...]

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainm...ks-secrets-mobile-dna-truck-article-1.2176353

----

The thought of her being given any sort of reality show platform, based upon her own actions thus far, makes my blood boil. She should not be rewarded for what she's done and continues to do. :twocents:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've struggled with it but as you say, something so ingrained is very difficult to change overnight.

It isn't as comprehensively ingrained as you set it out to be. People are always adopting new cultural habits. It may just not have been your experience. But people who move to different places or have changes in their lives or (hate the word) lifestyles will adapt to and adopt new cultures. It happens all the time.

That or maybe a show involving hair makeovers. She apparently did her own hair and I think in one interview I saw she claimed to have her beautician's license.

I posted up thread the link to confirm Rachel Dolezal does not have a license in Washington state to do hair. There is some controversy over whether just braiding requires a license, but the state has pursued sanctions on some braiders practicing with out one in the past.

This is very well written and a philosophy I teach here in our house. I told my kids that the color of your skin means absolutely nothing as far as who the person is, how they behave. It's a cultural difference that catches our senses and often causes misunderstandings.

What is acceptable to one culture is not to another.

And example is the uninvited, 'drop-in' guest. In my culture that is considered highly rude. However, I moved here and this culture thinks it's highly rude NOT to just drop in if you are visiting the area. Totally unannounced, without a care in the world or thought to what that person might be doing.

I've struggled with it but as you say, something so ingrained is very difficult to change overnight.

I am an uninvited guest. My grandmother was born in Surabaja. Her husband was Dutch. It was clear in 1953 (revolution) that descendants of anyone born in Surabaja and a white man (a general - who else would dare have mixed children in the 1800s) could not be Indonesian because skin is the wrong colour.

I can't understand how anyone could not be proud of their own heritage, even if it is grandparent mixed race. I don't understand the race problems that are prevalent in the US. Other countries don't get it, and the sooner people in the US get it, the better.

Canada has always been a tolerant country.

I am an uninvited guest.

Perhaps nobody in Canada invited you, per se, but you are certainly welcome here. And I hope that it is not that Canada is tolerant, but that it is friendly -- tolerance implies that there is something negative that is accepted, but we know that we're a country of immigrants and aboriginals.

She lied to people who trusted her. It is not okay.

He lied to people who trusted him. This is certainly not okay: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Dylann-Roof-charged-2&p=11865945#post11865945

The common thread is misleading people to believe you are something you are not to gain an advantage on a personal level. For one, it was a job and an ego. For the other, it was hatred and murder. But they both lied to the same community. They both created a false sense of security. They both should have to pay for their deeds. One with his life.

http://www.inlander.com/Bloglander/...ombudsman-commissioner-abused-their-authority

As the legacy and lies of Rachel Dolezal have been debated nationwide, there’s been one defense of Dolezal that has cropped up again and again: Sure, Dolezal may have been dishonest about her race — but she’s done good work in her professional roles.

Posed that argument outside of Council Chambers after a press conference, Spokane City Council President Ben Stuckart fired back with two words: “Obviously not.”

“It’s definitely a narrative. Dink! Dink! Dink! You’ve done wrong things here and wrong things here…” Stuckart says. "If somebody is behaving unacceptably and they do it multiple areas, it’s just — there’s a lot of people in Spokane hurt right now.”

In truth, I can't see a difference between my blue eyes and those of others. Blue is blue, and only Caucasian has blue eyes - by classification.

It seems like there's racial ******** in the US ... a ******** that is always looking for a payout.

Perhaps nobody in Canada invited you, per se, but you are certainly welcome here. And I hope that it is not that Canada is tolerant, but that it is friendly -- tolerance implies that there is something negative that is accepted, but we know that we're a country of immigrants and aboriginals.

Absolutely. Canada has been a country of acceptance and tolerance since at least the 1950s. Do you not find it mind boggling that the US is still hung up on the colour or eyes and skin - 70 years later? As children, we believed that so much happened in our childhoods - those 20 years - and then we learn that after 70 years people from the US are still unable to see past the colour of skin? That's like three generations of stupidity! Where else in the world does that happen?

Absolutely. Canada has been a country of acceptance and tolerance since at least the 1950s. Do you not find it mind boggling that the US is still hung up on the colour or eyes and skin - 70 years later? As children, we believed that so much happened in our childhoods - those 20 years - and then we learn that after 70 years people from the US are still unable to see past the colour of skin? That's like three generations of stupidity! Where else in the world does that happen?

All OT -- With respect, my friend, no country has a monopoly on prejudice. That doesn't mean that it's the same everywhere.

Right now, with so many countries in borderline economic recessions or depressions, I expect that there will be more hostility between people of different colors, religions, ethnicities, etc. It make me sad. Inequality or scarcity of resources are the greatest predictors of hostilities between groups.

RD just returned to Spokane and was asked questions by media: she stands by her record for the ombudsman position. She refused to answer most questions but did say what she is going to do next "I'll figure it out".

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/rachel-dolezal-returns-to-spokane/33679658

Wearing the same outfit again.

An interesting opinion piece on the Root:

http://www.theroot.com/articles/cul...is_what_a_real_black_american_experience.html

It’s really not that “complicated,” #RachelDolezal. Because, no, you didn’t “go there with the experience”; no, you’re not a black hairdresser; no, you didn’t have to play black to be your black children’s mom; and no, this discussion about race and what it means to be black—while rich and important and long overdue—hasn’t occurred “at your expense.” But other people will let you have it for those transgressions. I’ll just share my personal experience because I think, just by laying it out, that you’ll see the problem.
So this, Rachel, is why I am challenging you to do better, for these reasons and the fact that mixed in with your very human and understandable identity issues is your racial privilege, multiplied by your opportunism, to the cultural-appropriation power. (That’s my hairstyle you’re wearing, sweetie, but it probably never occurred to you that some of us, in order to wear it and other natural styles, have to overcome a cultural beauty standard that tells us that the way God made us is ugly.)

For the most part, I think you mean well, and I don’t want to minimize the good deeds that you’ve done. But please do “the work” and become a true ally and stop playing the community that you say you love, as though we’re not intelligent enough to peep your B.S. Instead, please support us by doing the things you can do that we can’t, from your identity position as a white woman.

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_gr...l_s_blog_shows_deep_seeded_family_issues.html

One has to wonder what the home life of Rachel Dolezal consisted of, but one also can’t take her word for anything nowadays, considering that she lied about her background. But a recently unearthed blog written by Rachel’s black adopted sister, Esther, shows a family in strife and conflict.

The 20-year-old Esther Dolezal’s blog provides a telling look at some of the issues plaguing the family, and even in her own relationship with Rachel. In a deleted post dating to last January, Esther outs her sister as a liar when it comes to her race.

Screencapture here
http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/16/r...-shes-white-and-pretending-to-be-black-video/

says the post was dated January 2014 though

http://boingboing.net/2015/06/18/tackling-the-question-can-y.html
a vlogger makes a couple of good points

Late to this conversation (new poster here). But I had to post anyway because this woman just infuriates me.

Let me start off by saying that I am a pale, red haired, freckle faced young white woman. My mother is white and my bio dad (sperm donor as I refer to him as) is white. However, my bio dad disappeared when I was an infant. My mother met and married my technical step dad (he is daddy to me and will always be) when I was 2 years old. He is a black man. He adopted me legally and raised me as his own. I have two younger half siblings who are biracial. Growing up in the household made race a non issue for me, I did not realize my family was different than any other. My bio dad was never talked about and I was young enough when step dad came around that until I was 9 years old, I really thought step dad was my real dad. That is until 3rd grade when some mean hick on the playground told me "he can't be your dad! He's a N*****!" This was back in the rural part of NC in the mid 90's so, tolerance was not what it is today.

My reason for sharing this info with you all is to demonstrate that maybe more than typical people, I can relate to feeling a strong affinity to another culture than my own. I am also very passionate and active in civil rights issues, racism, black lives matter, etc., just like Rachel. I have marched for Trayvon, Eric, Michael and Freddie. I get her passion (if it is genuine and not just a mask she wears).

However, what I do not get and what I take issue with is her blatant privilege and appropriation and the (most likely) falsified reports of hate crimes committed against her. What she has done has allowed what I stand for as a white woman involved in the cause to become a joke. She has reduced my passion and my life's work to nothing but a punch line. Worst than that, she has made the very people that I am working to try and help and advance distrustful of people like me coming into their circles and trying to fight the good fight even more than they already were.

God forbid she had gotten to experience police brutality during one of her many traffic stops or God forbid she had been attacked by neo nazi's or whatever the hell it is in some dark alley way while leaving work- what then? All because of a costume? Ah, I bet she would just love it, actually, to further her victim role and martyr status.

I have seen my younger siblings get picked on and bullied for being biracial. They are bullied by the white kids for being black and bullied by the black kids for being white or "not black enough." I have had the devastating experience as a little girl of seeing my 6 foot 5 inch, 250 lb bear of a step dad try to hide his tears while driving us home because the restaurant we had been excited to try would not even acknowledge our blended family's presence, literally. To think that someone would "dress up" to try and live that and even worse, capitalize off of it is sick.

I will add that my step dad is in his mid 50's, a large black male, in the south no less, and said RD has supposedly experienced more blatant racism/hate crimes against her in 5 years than he has in the last 20 so, that should tell you something about the truthfulness or likely lack thereof her claims...

To think I almost started to feel bad about her having her name and face plastered everywhere with horrible comments about her under every article... I am so glad she opened her mouth this week, omitted even any hint of making an apology or admitting what she did was wrong and slapped me back into the reality that she is a self absorbed, self serving, lying *advertiser censored* who deserves it all.

So unfair and so biased. Otto: your a great poster here IMO. I'm floored you think this. Sad and sick all at the same time. :sick:
I can post links about the treatment the Canadian "aboriginals" and their treatment, if you wish?

I am an uninvited guest. My grandmother was born in Surabaja. Her husband was Dutch. It was clear in 1953 (revolution) that descendants of anyone born in Surabaja and a white man (a general - who else would dare have mixed children in the 1800s) could not be Indonesian because skin is the wrong colour.

I can't understand how anyone could not be proud of their own heritage, even if it is grandparent mixed race. I don't understand the race problems that are prevalent in the US. Other countries don't get it, and the sooner people in the US get it, the better.

Canada has always been a tolerant country.

Not true, IMO. Not tolerant of aboriginals. Laws had to be passed:
indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/12/14/canadas-senate-passes-bill-c-45-aboriginals-vow-not-honor-it-146328

www.ohrc.on.ca/en/paying-price-huma.../impact-racial-profiling-aboriginal-community

BombShell,

Great Post! You said so much and said it so well. Thank You

And :welcome: to WS. :fireworks:

It isn't as comprehensively ingrained as you set it out to be. People are always adopting new cultural habits. It may just not have been your experience. But people who move to different places or have changes in their lives or (hate the word) lifestyles will adapt to and adopt new cultures. It happens all the time.

BBM
Can you please provide a link to this?

So unfair and so biased. Otto: your a great poster here IMO. I'm floored you think this. Sad and sick all at the same time. :sick:
I can post links about the treatment the Canadian "aboriginals" and their treatment, if you wish?

Or missing 'aboriginal' women there. Or anything to do with that in Canada.

I went snowmobiling about two hours north of Quebec in about 1992, spent 10 days there and met lots of very nice people, but the people there could give two chit about the people in Quebec. They flat out would tell (us american's) their disdain for the people of Quebec. I would have to say that those people were and are not a tolerant bunch. jmo idk btw The people there (2 hours north of quebec) were very nice people. jmo idk

respectfully snipped quote to save space and focus:

My reason for sharing this info with you all is to demonstrate that maybe more than typical people, I can relate to feeling a strong affinity to another culture than my own. I am also very passionate and active in civil rights issues, racism, black lives matter, etc., just like Rachel. I have marched for Trayvon, Eric, Michael and Freddie. I get her passion (if it is genuine and not just a mask she wears).

However, what I do not get and what I take issue with is her blatant privilege and appropriation and the (most likely) falsified reports of hate crimes committed against her. What she has done has allowed what I stand for as a white woman involved in the cause to become a joke. She has reduced my passion and my life's work to nothing but a punch line. Worst than that, she has made the very people that I am working to try and help and advance distrustful of people like me coming into their circles and trying to fight the good fight even more than they already were.

Yes and IMO what she either doesn't get or doesn't care, (or both), when she embarked on her blackface mission, is that her dishonesty endangers all her positive accomplishments, as well as those who worked beside her.
¨
Let's say she really cares about The Cause. Let's say she's really passionate about injustice, and that part of her is all real.

Let's further suppose she managed to pull through some wonderful project in the NAACP to further racial justice. Let's say she successfully helped someone protest police brutality. Let's suppose she wrote some brilliant journalistic pieces about racism and injustice. Let's suppose she mentored the hell out of black girls who wanted their hair braided and changed their lives telling them how important it is to feel good about who you really are.

Now let's say she's based her relationships and her own life story on a bunch of creative mistruths. I'm not saying lies or deception, because she takes exception to those words but she indulges in a certain number of misleading implications and omissions daily with those that she talks to personally and also allows a large number of people to get a false impression of her by the articles by or about her that spin fairytales and the videos on Youtube where she claims experiences as her own that she didn't have. (Eg. the struggles with the African hair...)

Once her own elaborate fake life story is exposed, how many of the black girls she mentored are going to believe a word that she said about being true to one's own self and respecting one's own heritage?

Once the fact that she's been so creative with her personal truths comes out, how is she ever going to be able to be trusted in places that deal with furthering transparency and justice and depend on integrity and things being true not only for the person claiming them but for others too?

How is she going to be an effective police overseer once it comes out that she probably manufactured a host of hate crimes against herself? If she claims in that role that someone was treated unfairly, how is anyone to know if it's the truth or her bias? Is she fighting for justice? Does she just love to paint people as victims?

She's made everything she accomplished so far at best a joke and at worst suspect - did she lie about that too? Did people in fact further more injustice if they believed her and took her side?

And it doesn't only affect her, it affects her co-workers in the Spokane NAACP, etc. For quite some time now, Spokane NAACP isn't going to be remembered for whatever good things they've done but for the woman who put on blackface and fooled people there. It's going to take them a while to get back the legitimacy and support that they've lost thanks to Rachel Dolezal. How is that fair to them? Their efforts are set back, diminished and ridiculed too.

It affects the people in the Africana studies programs... How much of what they learned there was the truth and how much was Rachel Dolezal's agenda? Even if she told the absolute truth scientifically and historically the reliability of her teachings is cast in the shadow because she gave them a personal tint that was a forgery. No one likes to be a laughing stock but there will be jokes. How good is your Africana studies program anyway if you can't even tell a spray tanned white chick from an African teacher. That sort of thing.

BTW, great post and welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop