Identified! WA - Clark Co., Fem Skeletal Remains, near Fly Creek, Feb'80 - Sandy Morden

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it a fishing area?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Yes it is! I know from knowledge back in Oregon, the Lewis river is known for some good fishing; in fact it was one of the only river sources in the area not affected by Mt. St. Helens’ lahars!

I also wanted to add that pretty much when you turn onto Healy Rd., all of the side roads are pretty much private roads. Whenever I see signs like that, I tend to tread very lightly. Some of the land is for private hunting and also for farming. Also, because its a small community, there tends to be tight knit families out there. I just remember when I was filming the Healy Rd. area, I did have a truck pass by me and the man driving it did not look happy to see me.

I am planning to go back up there wither tomorrow when I come home from Vancouver, BC or Monday. It will all depend on the weather because I am going to do some video work there for my YouTube show coming up soon.

There aren't any new additions to the ruleouts, but the list hasn't been posted for a while so I wanted to bring it forward.

Linda Adams 1963 Washington
Andria Bailey 1963 Washington
Marie Blee 1964 Colorado
Niki Britten 1953 Oregon
Diane Buckley 1961 Washington
Diane Gilchrist Unknown Washington
Jamie Grissim 1955 Washington
Janice Hannigan 1955 Washington
Rita Jolly 1955 Oregon
Kimberly Kersey 1968 Washington
Karen Lee 1961 Oregon
Loralee Lhotka 1955 Washington
Elsie Luscier 1966 Washington
Angela Meeker 1965 Washington
Debra Otis 1961 Washington
Laurie Partridge 1957
Carlotta Sanchez 1967 Washington
Christine White 1967 Washington
Cheryl Wyant 1964 California

There aren't any new additions to the ruleouts, but the list hasn't been posted for a while so I wanted to bring it forward.

Linda Adams 1963 Washington
Andria Bailey 1963 Washington
Marie Blee 1964 Colorado
Niki Britten 1953 Oregon
Diane Buckley 1961 Washington
Diane Gilchrist Unknown Washington
Jamie Grissim 1955 Washington
Janice Hannigan 1955 Washington
Rita Jolly 1955 Oregon
Kimberly Kersey 1968 Washington
Karen Lee 1961 Oregon
Loralee Lhotka 1955 Washington
Elsie Luscier 1966 Washington
Angela Meeker 1965 Washington
Debra Otis 1961 Washington
Laurie Partridge 1957
Carlotta Sanchez 1967 Washington
Christine White 1967 Washington
Cheryl Wyant 1964 California

Thanks for the repost on the list. It’s good that the state is allowing NamUs to post the rule outs on her page.

Does this Jane Doe have a Facebook page? Or a color recon? I think she would benefit from both.

Does this Jane Doe have a Facebook page? Or a color recon? I think she would benefit from both.

I don’t think so. I would like to start up a Facebook page for her soon if it will help. I may reach out to DNA Doe Project soon as well.

I don’t think so. I would like to start up a Facebook page for her soon if it will help. I may reach out to DNA Doe Project soon as well.

Definitely do and link it here when you do! Also, it may be better to reach out to the investigator on the case and have them reach out to DDP, much higher chance of getting her included.

Definitely do and link it here when you do! Also, it may be better to reach out to the investigator on the case and have them reach out to DDP, much higher chance of getting her included.

Absolutely! I’ll work on it today...may even give her her own website!

CONFIRMATION: The location Fly Creek Jane Doe was found is indeed somewhere around the area I surveyed. I took another trip there yesterday with two others, one a local, and recorded the NF Road as NF-54; same as the documented road address on NamUs. There was some rumors that she was found elsewhere but I can confirm based on the road signage that this was where she was found.

I am so glad this case is having new discussions. It seemed like this one had laid dormant on WS for a while.

That makes sense. I was thinking if she was dismembered the reason could have been to remove an identifying mark in case she was found sooner. However, I don't actually know if she was dismembered or if her remains were disturbed by animal activity.

I was just recently in the Fly Creek area, Sunday as a matter of fact. I brought along someone who was familiar in the area and he told me there would not have been any animal activity due to the location. Bears and cougars would have had impossible access to her; however he says he was speaking on 2018 terms. We are going to visit the Clark County Library tomorrow to look at USGS maps to see what the area looked like then. Definitely a lot to consider. But we have concluded that it had to be a dumpsite and that she was dismembered. Her parts have probably more or less been scattered around by the perp.

I wrapped up some study at the Ft. Vancouver Regional Library in Vancouver, WA this morning. I obtained some maps of the area surrounding Fly Creek in 1961 and 1974 for topography purposes. I also found older newspaper articles I am excited to share with everyone today. The articles will definitely clear up a lot about location, who found her and how it went. I will have those out later on and summarize my findings.

UPDATES: So today was a big research day, with a visit to the Ft. Vancouver Regional Library in Vancouver, WA. With the help of some librarians, I got to peruse and copy the maps of the Fly Creek/Canyon Creek area for part of our topography research. Unfortunately, these were standard Metsker Maps. Fortunately, it did still tell a story about the history of the area. In Map 1 (Dated 1961, Photo 1), Some of the roads that were near Fly Creek did not exist; noticeably the split when you get onto NF-54. It appears between 1961 and 1974 (when the other map was dated Photo 2), that road was built as an access road for Weyerhauser foresters.

However, as I was doing research, I also stumbled up a file cabinet full of microfilm from the Oregonian and the Clark County Columbian. Curious, I began to look for articles on this case and got very lucky.

This evening, I will be working toward getting those articles out to everyone. I believe they actually answered a lot of the questions other Sleuthers working this case have asked for years. The articles will reveal key information like location where she was found and the people who found her. Please stay tuned for those!

Any questions about the map in the meantime, feel free to ask away!
attachment.php

PHOTO 1: Metsker Atlas of the Fly Creek Area in 1961

attachment.php

PHOTO 2: Metsker Atlas of the Fly Creek Area in 1974

Attachments

• Metsker 1961.jpg
    Metsker 1961.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 504
  • 30724454_166621704004089_7343907074113273856_o.jpg
    30724454_166621704004089_7343907074113273856_o.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 505
Awesome finds Jason!

Officials Seek to Identify Bones

FROM THE CLARK COUNTY COLUMBIAN, 2/25/1980
Clark County Sheriffs Deputies are checking old missing persons reports while their colleagues continue searching for the remainder of a skeleton found Sunday afternoon in the Chelatchie Prarie area.
Authorities said they had no idea this morning whether the human bones found by two county residents panning for gold were male or female. Clark County Coroner Arch Hamilton had not recieved the bones by midmorning today.
Jack Bannister and his son, also named Jack, both of 37221 NE County Road 5, Yacolt were panning for gold in the Fly Creek area about noon Sunday when they came upon the bones, Chief Criminal Deputy Chuck Brink said.
“The skull was found about 200 feet south of Fly Creek, and the others were spread about 100 feet beyond that,” he said. The bones were located in a dumping area about 1 1/2 miles east of International Paper Co. on Forestry Road 54.
Brink said moss growing on some of the bones was examined at the site by someone from the Southwestern Washington Research Unit in Hazel Dell. It was determined that the bones had been exposed for 12 to 15 months, Brink said.
Brink said there are no obvious signs of foul play and Hamilton said one of the first things he will do is examine the bones for any signs of bruises, gunshot or knife wounds. Identification may be more difficult because animals have chewed off the bones at the ends.
The only missing person unaccounted for so far, said Brink, is a Vancouver High School coed named Jamie Grissom, who last was seen in 1971 going toward school. Pieces of her identification later were found spread along Dole Valley Road, he said.

Bones Still Unidentified by Officials

By Cynthia Tank, Columbian Staff Writer---02/26/1980
The dental records of a 16-year-old girl who disappeared in 1971 are being sought today as authorities seek to identify positively the bones found Sunday morning in Clark County.
County coroner Arch Hamilton said this morning he is reasonably sure the skull and lower jaw he has examined are those of a teenaged girl.
Jamie Grisim, 16, who disappeared in 1971 and whose identity is thought most likely to match that of the remains found Sunday, last was seen walking toward Ft. Vancouver High School. Some time later, pieces of her identification were found strewn along Dole Valley Rd.
Chief Criminal Deputy Chuck Brink of the county sheriff’s office said Miss Grisim’s dental records are being sought today.
The coroner was hesitant about how long ago the person died.
“I could guess six to eight years maybe, but it might not be right,” Hamilton said. A case where the person has been missing for a longer or shorter time might get overlooked, he said.
Brink said his men will continue searching the area for the remainder of the skeleton, probably through Friday. The bones were found along Fly Creek just south of Forestry Road N-54 at Canyon Creek Bridge. The human skull was found by Jack P. Bannister, 50, of Yacolt and his son Jack D. Bannister, 2706 L St., Vancouver, while they were panning for gold Sunday.
In 1974, the skeletal remains of two bodies were discovered by a hunter in the Dole Valley area about 12 air miles south of Sunday’s find. Brink said there is no suspected link between the two locations at this time. He also dismissed any connection of Sunday’s find with the “Ted” murders--a series of at least 19 unsolved murders of coeds or young working women in Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado and Florida.
The FBI has shown little interest in the bones, despite the recent discovery near Vancouver of about $5800 of hijacker D.B. Cooper’s ransom money. Senior agent Ray Mathis of the bureau’s Seattle office joked, “If (the bones) had a parachute and $195,000 with them, we’d be interested.”
Cooper is believed to have parachuted over North Clark County after hijacking a Northwest Airline plane for $200,000 ransom.

Lost Teen’s Kin Sought

From the Clark County Columbian; 2/28/1980

(NOTE: This article more or less is about Jamie Grisim, the young lady that disappeared in 1971; however they discussed whether or not they could be one and the same. As we all found out in 2007, this wasn't the case.)

While Clark County Coroner Arch Hamilton sifts through the animal and human bones brought to him by sheriff’s deputies, other officials are trying to locate relatives of a Vancouver teenager who disappeared in 1971.
According to sheriffs deputies, the major lead in the case of the human bones found by two men in north Clark County Sunday is still Jamie Grisim, who was 16 when she disappeared. Her only survivor is apparently a sister who no longer lives in the area, said Chief Criminal Deputy Chuck Brink. Deputies are now seeking a Portland-area teacher with whom both girls may have lived at one time.
The object of the search for the Grisim girl’s survivors is to locate dental records that could determine whether the skeletal remains found Sunday are hers.
Deputies continued to search through the muddy ground near Fly Creek today in their efforts to find all of the remains. Hamilton said he received a number of bones Wednesday; many of them animal bones. He said a Portland anthropologist was to visit his office today to confirm that the human bones are those of a female in the mid teens and to try and determine the size of the body.

Dogs To Aid Deputies’ Search for Additional Human Remains
By Cynthia Tank, Columbian Staff Writer; 3/4/1980
Dogs trained to sniff out human remains will comb the Fly Creek area in Northern Clark County Saturday in an effort to unearth additional clues as to the identity of a partial human skeleton found there last week.
The dogs are from the Northwest Search Dogs; an organization of private citizens. Sgt. Robert Rayburn said the animals are specifically trained to locate bones and gravesites.
Deputies still do not know the identity of the remains. A human skull was found along Fly Creek just south of Forestry Road N-54 at Canyon Creek Bridge February 24th.
Sheriffs deputies said today the bones probably do not belong to Jamie Grisim, who disappeared in 1971, as they once suspected. A sister of the girl was located this week and descriptions she offered appeared not to match that of the remains found last week. Dental records expected to arrive later today will probably confirm that the skull is not that of Miss Grisim, a spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Rayburn said, authorities in adjoining counties are being contacted for descriptions of other missing persons. Chief Criminal Deputy Chuck Brink said deputies are 85 to 90 percent sure the skull is a female’s.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinkeydave
Back