Identified! WA - Clark Co., Fem Skeletal Remains, near Fly Creek, Feb'80 - Sandy Morden

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Fly Creek Jane Doe groups has now announced a $500 reward for information leading to the positive identification of the FCJD. Additionally, we came out with a poster that will be distributed to businesses in the Clark County and Cowlitz County area. We have also reached out to Nikki Costa at the Clark County MEO to inform her of whats been happening lately. More on this as it develops!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled document-1.jpg
    Untitled document-1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 446
I’m not sure...I have to agree with the MEO in regards to the findings of this Jane Doe and Grissim. They don’t look alike and Grissim disappeared long before the Jane Doe was found. I also asked her sister about everything and she’s pretty confident the Jane Doe wasn’t her sister.

I h
Bombshell DNA links Warren Forrest to 2 murders

Given the proximity to Martha, Carol, and Jamie's recovered personal items, I think this young woman was likely a victim of Warren Forrest. I think we need to look at earlier missing women- prior to October 1974.
I have had some heavy suspicion about his possible involvement. But the only problem with this is that the CCMEO believes that the bones had probably been there a couple years prior to the discovery. He was apprehended in 1974. However, I can also argue that in the past, investigators have been wrong about estimated death ranges.

Also keep in mind that around this time, the Green River Killer was also doing his rounds about 2 and a half hours north of Fly Creek. I’m still wondering if this could have been a GRK murder; however the bullet to the head wouldn’t match Ridgway’s MO. He was more a strangler. And it appeared that the MEO had also dismissed the possibility of the Bundy murders because around the time of discovery he was in Colorado.

As I have mentioned, someone with great knowledge of the Fly and Canyon Creeks had to have done it, and Forrest was more than likely one of those people. It was either Forrest, someone local to the area or someone who was very active and was well versed on sporting and nature in the Clark County Valleys.

As I have mentioned, someone with great knowledge of the Fly and Canyon Creeks had to have done it, and Forrest was more than likely one of those people. It was either Forrest, someone local to the area or someone who was very active and was well versed on sporting and nature in the Clark County Valleys.

Agreed. I just don't see Gary Ridgway having intimate knowledge of that area of the county or choosing that place. There was so much certainty that Carol Platt Valenzuela was a Bundy victim, and I just couldn't see that. Turns out- no.

It's so rural in that area, I really believe it has to be someone with in-depth local knowledge. Either lived there at the time, or at least spent time there growing up.

If there is a firm estimate that the bones were only there a couple of years and definitely not as long as 6 years, then I am a bit stymied. It just seems near impossible that another killer would chose this place.

I do believe that Jamie is up there. I hope we find her soon.

After seeing the photos of the area, I wonder if she was camping there with a friend or partner, who murdered her there and just dragged her out of the campsite.

UPDATES: So today was a big research day, with a visit to the Ft. Vancouver Regional Library in Vancouver, WA. With the help of some librarians, I got to peruse and copy the maps of the Fly Creek/Canyon Creek area for part of our topography research. Unfortunately, these were standard Metsker Maps. Fortunately, it did still tell a story about the history of the area. In Map 1 (Dated 1961, Photo 1), Some of the roads that were near Fly Creek did not exist; noticeably the split when you get onto NF-54. It appears between 1961 and 1974 (when the other map was dated Photo 2), that road was built as an access road for Weyerhauser foresters.

However, as I was doing research, I also stumbled up a file cabinet full of microfilm from the Oregonian and the Clark County Columbian. Curious, I began to look for articles on this case and got very lucky.

This evening, I will be working toward getting those articles out to everyone. I believe they actually answered a lot of the questions other Sleuthers working this case have asked for years. The articles will reveal key information like location where she was found and the people who found her. Please stay tuned for those!

Any questions about the map in the meantime, feel free to ask away!
attachment.php

PHOTO 1: Metsker Atlas of the Fly Creek Area in 1961

attachment.php

PHOTO 2: Metsker Atlas of the Fly Creek Area in 1974

Thank you for your wonderful work JasonF.

I am resuming research on this case today. Going to tweak the website up a bit. However I do have some new information, more or less a followup to my email to the MEO in Clark County, WA.

I emailed Dr. Nikki Costa a couple of months ago to inquire about the case and to inform her of the reward I and others have decided to put up for the identification of the Jane Doe. I never received a response from her, hoping she would have been happy to discuss the case. I sent her another one last week to follow up with her and to see if she received my email. She never responded.
I would think that she would have been happy to see that someone was thinking of her Jane Doe, but apparently not. Also, because of Dr. Costa not following up with me NOR the genealogist that was wanting to work her case, we can't do anything with GEDMatch, which doesn't help anything at all. In fact Dr. Costa's not following up slightly angers me. I'm going to continue my research with or without the help of Clark County.

Another thing: In a couple of weeks, I am planning to finally get the reward posters out to businesses in that area, hoping that someone will come forward to police. I intend to distribute them to businesses from Battle Ground, WA to southern Cowlitz County and specific parts of the area (Woodland, Castle Rock, Toutle, Etc.)

Until next time.

So I was doing some local missing persons research for the Portland area and I came across this missing person, named Suzanne Rae Justis (Missing Person Case). She went missing in 1973 in Portnald after calling her mother telling her she was on the way back to Eugene, where she lived. She hasn't been heard from since; and there are few details available in her case. I am uploading her photo and the FCJD's composite here...what does everyone think? Is this a feasible match?

14710_88754.jpg image004.png

So I was doing some local missing persons research for the Portland area and I came across this missing person, named Suzanne Rae Justis (Missing Person Case). She went missing in 1973 in Portnald after calling her mother telling her she was on the way back to Eugene, where she lived. She hasn't been heard from since; and there are few details available in her case. I am uploading her photo and the FCJD's composite here...what does everyone think? Is this a feasible match?

View attachment 140170 View attachment 140171

That's looks like an extremely feasible match without knowing anything further about the MP!

TBH, no, I don't think it's likely. There's some facial resemblance but Suzanne would have been in her late 20s when the Doe is thought likely to have been killed and dumped. My understanding is that the bones and teeth of people up to their late teens show features and changes which are known to happen at specific ages or within tight age ranges which allow the person to be aged pretty accurately.

The ME would have to have got things very wrong to mistake someone aged 27-30 for someone thought to be 13-16.

TBH, no, I don't think it's likely. There's some facial resemblance but Suzanne would have been in her late 20s when the Doe is thought likely to have been killed and dumped. My understanding is that the bones and teeth of people up to their late teens show features and changes which are known to happen at specific ages or within tight age ranges which allow the person to be aged pretty accurately.

The ME would have to have got things very wrong to mistake someone aged 27-30 for someone thought to be 13-16.

Right but the age of Suzanne’s disappearance was 23, my thought is what if the coroner who re-investigated this case in 2005 was wrong in regards to the time of death? Originally, when FCJD was discovered, Dr. Arch Hamilton estimated the FCJD to have been dead 6 or more years. I feel like the TOD could be off in this case. It could be just me though.

One thing I noticed is that Justis’ case is very similar to Martha Morrison’s, in which Morrison was hitchhiking towards Eugene when she was picked up and murdered, supposedly by Warren Forrest or Ted Bundy; her body was found and identified many years later.

It was never proven Justis hitchhiked to Eugene, but that was her direction. It was 1973 when she disappeared. I wonder if she could have been a victim of Warren Forrest.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back