GUILTY WA - Colton Harris-Moore - A criminal with a fan base of +18000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm sorry they released so much personal information. Why did they do that?

I feel sorry for this boy. I know that probably won't score me any points 'round here, but that's how I feel.

His "mother" is a freak and I don't believe Colton ever stood a chance to be a normal kid.

He needs to pay his dues. But then I hope he'll get the help he needs and becomes a productive member of society.

I feel the same way you do. He never stood a chance. He does need to pay for the crimes he's committed. I am especially mad that the "mother" will most likely make money off of this whole thing, and she's the one who treated him poorly to begin with.

I'm in agreement. He needs help, as to making restitution, selling his "story" and a book deal would go a long way towards that and perhaps getting him both the help and education/skills he needs to make a full recovery and become a valuable member of society. This kid needs a second chance and the chance to show that he deserves one.

He needs help and a really good job with the FBI...that was sure something how he managed to be on the run for so long...I think they could learn a thing or two from this young man.

Yeah, Indianagirl, sadly it's looking that way.

It really surprises me that he wasn't charged with more in the Bahamas. Didn't he commit a series of crimes there besides "illegally entering the country"? Breaking & entering, etc.?
Doesn't sound to me like they wanted to keep him there. A pity.

Just wondering if anyone could change the title of the thread, as Colt is not from Oregon. He is from Camano Island, WA. and a personal friend of mine was one of his stolen/wrecked plane victims!!

Thanks!

Just to add quickly-----there is a great deal of talk amongst attorneys around me that Colt's mother *may* be eventually facing criminal charges of her own. This is just opinion and speculation on my part. There is an excellent chance I will be given some more info on Colt and his Mom by next week. Lots of things going on behind the scenes up here.....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/10/washington.barefoot.bandit/index.html

(CNN) -- Accused "barefoot bandit" Colton Harris-Moore was indicted Wednesday by a federal grand jury in connection with a series of airplane and boat thefts in the Pacific northwest, federal prosecutors in Washington state said.

The 19-year-old gained notoriety for allegedly stealing planes and flying without a pilot's certificate -- sometimes without shoes.

The teen had been on the run since he walked away from a juvenile halfway house in Renton, Washington, in 2008, according to court records. He was captured on July 11 in the Bahamas after flying 1,000 miles in a stolen plane from Indiana, authorities said.

:(

Story on 48 Hours Mystery tonight.

Sorry - I know he's a criminal, but I feel for this kid.

An update:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/118169669.html

5 men split 'Barefoot Bandit' capture reward
March 17, 2011

"A $10,000 FBI reward offered for the capture of Colton Harris-Moore has been split among five men who helped Bahamian authorities in last summer's arrest. The young man dubbed the "Barefoot Bandit" was sought after a two-year string of burglaries and thefts that included five planes and dozens of cars and boats. FBI Special Agent Fred Gutt confirmed the reward payout but offered few details...."

and

"...Harris-Moore faces a five-count indictment in federal court, plus more than a dozen felony charges in three counties in Washington and in Nebraska. Trial is set for July 11. Defense lawyer John Henry Browne says he has been working toward a plea agreement with federal prosecutors.

more at link

(names are given here of the recipients of the reward money but I didn't want to post them)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110409...jb3JkaW9uX3Vfc19uZXdzBHNsawNsYXd5ZXJzaW5iYXI-

SEATTLE – Washington's "Barefoot Bandit," who is accused of evading authorities for two years as he pilfered cars, boats and airplanes in a daring cross-country crime spree, could wind up reaching a blanket plea agreement that would avoid trials in more than a dozen jurisdictions, his lawyers said Friday.

Colton Harris-Moore, 20, crash-landed a stolen airplane in the Bahamas last year and was arrested at gunpoint before being returned to the U.S. Though he has pleaded not guilty, his attorney, John Henry Browne, has freely discussed Harris-Moore's intent to accept responsibility if a deal resolving state and federal charges in about 17 jurisdictions can be reached.

Browne declined to discuss Friday how much prison time he expects his client to receive under any deal, but he previously said Harris-Moore is looking at anywhere from four to 12 years if convicted. A deal could also involve Harris-Moore donating any movie- or book-deal profits to repaying victims, Browne said.

I know the owner of the boat he fled to the Bahamas in...they're good people and I highly doubt they would want Colt to suffer punishment - I'll even ask. The captain felt badly for the kid, too. I sure as heck don't want him convicted to hard time. Why doesn't the govt find a great use for his skills? I know this isn't going to be popular, but I admire his spirit. I understand conviction, but please no prison time - that would be ridiculous. This kid (yep, in my eyes he's still a kid) needs love and a chance to use his skills to help people. MOO.

I hope he turns out to be really successful in life. I'll even write him if he does get time (and I've never considered such a thing until this moment!).

Too bad he didn't do his homework on the bahamas and go further south=)

I'll admit it.. i was a member of his facebook fan page while he was on the run LOL
I even told my husband "Ohh that sucks" when i heard he was caught.. I sooo know i shouldn't feel that way.. a crime is a crime.. i cannot explain why I was so much in his corner.

I know the owner of the boat he fled to the Bahamas in...they're good people and I highly doubt they would want Colt to suffer punishment - I'll even ask. The captain felt badly for the kid, too. I sure as heck don't want him convicted to hard time. Why doesn't the govt find a great use for his skills? I know this isn't going to be popular, but I admire his spirit. I understand conviction, but please no prison time - that would be ridiculous. This kid (yep, in my eyes he's still a kid) needs love and a chance to use his skills to help people. MOO.

I hope he turns out to be really successful in life. I'll even write him if he does get time (and I've never considered such a thing until this moment!).

Too bad he didn't do his homework on the bahamas and go further south=)

This guy is a criminal that stole millions of dollars worth of property from people. He even stole a gun from one home and reportedly pulled it on another home owner and shot at him when he caught him burglarizing his home. This wasn't some kid out for a joyride, this is a criminal that was willing to shot somebody to keep from being caught.

And I'm all for the government putting his talents to use. How about making license plates or crushing rocks on a chain gang.

I never ever heard of him pulling a gun on a homeowner, but I did hear of him donating money to an animal shelter

I never ever heard of him pulling a gun on a homeowner, but I did hear of him donating money to an animal shelter

I fail to understand all this support of this man. Was it his money to donate? I'd think first one should work for the money, then donate it to whatever cause he or she pleases. Stealing money then donating it-is that really a good deed?

It was on I Dateline I think, or one of the other news shows that are on. When they were covering his story they interviewed a guy that caught him in his house. The guy said while he was chasing him out of the house he pulled a gun and threatened him with it. Their was even security camera footage of the incident that showed a person fitting his description turning and pointing something at the guy.

Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions/feelings. Money isn't everything - that's what insurance is for =) I do not support thievery, etc. but geeze...it's just money and objects. Still criminal, but in my eyes, he certainly can be rehabilitated.

Really? You'd want to waste his intelligence/resourcefulness making license plates? The facts are, he DIDN'T shoot anyone. If i was on the run, I'd prob carry a gun too! The paranoia must have been intense.

Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions/feelings. Money isn't everything - that's what insurance is for =) I do not support thievery, etc. but geeze...it's just money and objects. Still criminal, but in my eyes, he certainly can be rehabilitated.

Really? You'd want to waste his intelligence/resourcefulness making license plates? The facts are, he DIDN'T shoot anyone. If i was on the run, I'd prob carry a gun too! The paranoia must have been intense.

Most people work for their property and therefore are attached to it. There have been many instances where people were murdered trying to defend their property. And in some states such as TX the laws allow deadly force in defense of property (not life, but property). So, again, I fail to understand the idea that it is o'key to take someone's property because that's what the insurance is for.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back