WA WA - Cowlitz Co, AmInd/NativeFem 20-29, UP10449, passngr in MVA, scoliosis, May'91

New MP in NamUs.

Kelly Diane Sims
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19384/0

KellySims.jpg

(Note: The photo is located in the "Documents" section of the NamUs MP casefile)

LKA Info
Date LKA: October 16, 1990
Location LKA: Kelso, Cowlitz County, WA
Age LKA: 27
Circumstances: Kelly was dropped off at the corner of Allen and South Pacific she was going to walk 2 blocks to play some pool before going and picking up her son and going home. She never made it.​

Vital Stats
Height: 64 inches
Weight: 120 pounds
Race: Native American
Hair: Brown, Past Shoulders
Eyes: Brown
Piercings: Ears​

Identifiers
DNA: Available - Not yet submitted
Dental: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available​

Comments
The main negatives are (1) there's no indication about scoliosis, and (2), the date LKA (16-Oct-1990) is seven months prior to this Jane Doe's accident. The circumstances seem inconsistent, unless she abandoned her family.

But there are a lot of things that match up:

• She has a dark complexion and high cheekbones
  • Her age (27) is within range (20-29)
  • Her height (5'4") is within range (5'3" to 5'4")
  • Her weight (115 lbs) is within 5 lbs of the UID's measured weight.
  • Her location LKA is 10 miles from Kalama WA.

Carl, any idea why Kelly's photo is not on her NAMUS profile?

I guess this means she wasn't identified and her profile was off line for some other reason.

She has two ruleouts on Namus (https://identifyus.org/cases/10449):

Angela Hammond 1971 Missouri
Nguyet Phung 1971 Washington

I put Kelly Sims side by side with the new reconstruction photo. The circumstances make it sound like Kelly ran afoul of somebody on her way home, but if she decided she needed a mental health break or something? I dunno.

Attachments

• Kelly Sims with Kalama WA JD.jpg
    Kelly Sims with Kalama WA JD.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 110
She looks good, but no mention of scoliosis. However, that might not mean anything. I have it. Most people don't notice it, however it shows up on X-rays and has caused disc problems that surgeons would love to get a hold of but I won't let them.its been somewhat noticeable since I was a teen, however, its possible she could have the deformity on her spine, but never visited a dr for it or been treated.

Wow, that was a nasty accident. Those poor people.

Robin certainly looks like a good possible.

She looks good, but no mention of scoliosis. However, that might not mean anything. I have it. Most people don't notice it, however it shows up on X-rays and has caused disc problems that surgeons would love to get a hold of but I won't let them.its been somewhat noticeable since I was a teen, however, its possible she could have the deformity on her spine, but never visited a dr for it or been treated.

I agree. It really depends on the degree or severity of scoliosis. Sometimes it is barely noticeable, just one shoulder slightly higher than the other. They used to check all kids in school for it. But, unless they had a surgical intervention for it or wore a brace, often it is not something people were aware they really had and would be one of those details lost in some school file or medical record. With many of our UIDs they were people who fell through the cracks of society anyway, so family, friends, etc. weren't paying much attention to them or assuring great medical care etc. :twocents:

I agree. It really depends on the degree or severity of scoliosis. Sometimes it is barely noticeable, just one shoulder slightly higher than the other. They used to check all kids in school for it. But, unless they had a surgical intervention for it or wore a brace, often it is not something people were aware they really had and would be one of those details lost in some school file or medical record. With many of our UIDs they were people who fell through the cracks of society anyway, so family, friends, etc. weren't paying much attention to them or assuring great medical care etc. :twocents:

I have severe scoliosis and when I have clothes on, it just looks like I'm slouching. I've only ever had one layperson properly recognize it as scoliosis, and I was in a swimsuit at the time.

I often wonder if families don't report skeletal deformities, medical hardware, etc. when they report someone missing because they aren't thinking in terms of the missing person being found as skeletal remains. It's definitely a grim thing to have to think about.

I have severe scoliosis and when I have clothes on, it just looks like I'm slouching. I've only ever had one layperson properly recognize it as scoliosis, and I was in a swimsuit at the time.

I often wonder if families don't report skeletal deformities, medical hardware, etc. when they report someone missing because they aren't thinking in terms of the missing person being found as skeletal remains. It's definitely a grim thing to have to think about.

I don't know about then but when my cousin went missing the police wanted her complete medical record. She didn't have anything like medical hardware in her body but she had surgery when she was younger on her leg that left a scar and marks on her leg bone. None of us remembered. I mean that's not what identified her but it could have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about then but when my cousin went missing the police wanted her complete medical record. She didn't have anything like medical hardware in her body but she had surgery when she was younger on her leg that left a scar and marks on her leg bone. None of us remembered. I mean that's not what identified her but it could have.

Eta: she went missing August 2004.

I totally agree. Scoliosis is very common, but many people simply don't have the diagnosis or it is not obvious enough that people notice it. I think some of it is also general access to healthcare in general. There are such huge disparities in the quality of care people get in our country. Often much of the population does not know various diagnoses as well. Many people and families are unaware or don't fully grasp someone had a surgical device implanted as well. While well child/people visits are encouraged, the majority of people in America especially in the past simply never had the times, means, etc to do so. So many of these markers for our UIDs that we might identify people with are never documented, or families never knew. Not judging at all, just saying...:twocents:

This post is from the UID Slidell Lake Pontchartrain JD forum. What stood out to me is the fact that she had scoliosis, and had worn a brace for it. From what I can see, Lisa Bradley isn't in NaMUS, but she's a possibility....
e8udytu7.jpg

Unfortunately, the website the friend had set up is no longer....maybe that means she was found?

I have a website with my missing friend’s info, including pictures. See:

http://techmom.homestead.com/lisa_search.html

I am concerned my freind Lisa may have met a violent end, as I last knew her to be living with her ex-step-father Robert Wilmot (aka Wilmont & Wilcox), who she may also have married, & was reported to be the father of her daughter, Angela. I have reason to beleive she may also have a son named Adam, possibly born about 1983.

History:

Lisa & I met when we were both in the 5th grade in North Platte, Neb. I was 11 & she was 13. Lisa was raised by her single mom, Helen, but because of many problems at home, she was in & out of foster care. As a result she wound up falling behind in school, and was 2 grades behind when we met. We became best freinds, doing almost everything together. We were as close as sisters. Lisa had many problems at home, and spent most of her time at our house.

When I was in the 6th grade, we had to move to Shreveport La. We kept in touch by letters. That's when we found out about Bob.

Bob was an ex-carnie worker & drifter who seduced Lisa's mother, Helen, into marriage in about 1976/1977 while Helen & Lisa were living still living in North Platte, Neb.

After they married, they followed us to Bossier City, Louisiana (kind of a twin city to Shreveport) in the late 70's. Bob had told us he had lived there previously, but I have no way to verify that. (I know he told us he was originally from Wisconsin and told us he had a son from a previous marriage.)

Lisa & I were glad to be close again, but I immediately got bad vibes from Bob. He was overweight, somewhat unkempt, and never had a steady job. He tried selling Shaklee, Fuller, and Bissel door-to-door, without much success. Helen had to try to support them on her waitresses salary.

After we moved from Louisiana in 1979, I got word that Helen found out Bob was sleeping with Lisa, she kicked him out & divorced him. Bob continued to communicate with Lisa secretly, and later convinced Lisa to run away from home with him when she was 16.

Lisa wrote me a couple of times after that, then I lost contact with her in 1983.

I heard 2nd hand from her mother (who I also have now lost contact with) that she moved to Reno, NV after she left Redding, Calf, my last confirmed address. That would have been approx 1984/1985. (My own life was in turmoil at the time, so dates & events from that time period are a bit vauge).

Lisa had a Milwaukee brace for scoliosis when she was young, and also had braces on her teeth when very young thru the Nebraska state Medicaid, so she had very straight teeth.

There's no links in names for Shirley Porter, neither is there any news she was found. I'm scanning articles for missing women who may have some sort of walking problems. It just so happens that Shirley was African-American. Otherwise it wouldn't have caught my attention age range is about right but weight is off. If she's been reported found, sorry in advance. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...an-ryan-expressway-bus-station-shirley-porter

From your article; drivers name was Lester Harbol from Missouri. I looked on find a grave; he's not listed. Archives.com has 2 possibles. I posted his name at city-data to see if anyone has a paid subscription that can find where he lived & was buried.

Is there anyone listed in databases missing from Missouri back then?

Identifying the unidentified: Woman's remains exhumed 23 years after deadly crash The woman was killed in May 1991. She was a passenger in a semi driving on Interstate 5 near Kalama. Police said the driver, Lester Harbol, slammed into the back of a second semi that was stopped for roadway construction.

The truck burst into flames. Harbol and the unidentified woman were killed. The fire destroyed any identification she may have been carrying.

During the investigation, it was learned that the woman was not an authorized passenger. However, investigators said the circumstances of her death are not considered criminal.

Harbol had driven from Missouri and just dropped a load off in Tacoma. Police told Seattle station KCPQ that he had a girlfriend back in Missouri.

"She was an unauthorized passenger," Washington State Patrol Detective Greg Wilcoxson said of the unidentified woman. "But yet I don't know whether or not it was a relationship or if he was just giving her a ride."

Video at the 2nd link

According to another article; Lester was 26 Woman burned in fiery crash: Her death a mystery since 1991 - It was May 14, 1991 on I-5 South near Kalama when one semi-truck crashed into another killing two people instantly.

Lester Harvel., 26, was burned in the crash beyond recognition and so was his passenger, a woman who has never been identified.

“We don’t not believe that he was dating her, reason being he had a girlfriend back in the Missouri area to our understanding. And I have contacted the family and attempted contact with that girlfriend, but I have spoken to the family and it leads me to believe that she was an unauthorized passenger. But I don’t know if it was a relationship or he was just giving her a ride,” Wilcoxson said.

attachment.php

NamUs Case #10449

attachment.php

Unidentified Female (Race Unsure)
Found on May 14, 1991 in Kalama, Cowlitz County, Washington​

Vital Stats
Height: 5'3-5'4" (5'0" according to DoeNet)
Weight: 115-125 lbs.
Distinctive Characteristics: Dark complexion and high cheek bones, Severe Scoliosis

Clothing
Black cowboy vest, gray top possibly with pink in it​

Circumstances
The victim was a passenger in an auto accident on Interstate 5, near Kalama on May 14, 1991. The driver, also killed, was identified but the female passenger was not. May have been a hitchhiker.​

Body Condition:
Not recognizable - Traumatic injuries​

Identifiers:
Fingerprints: Not Available
Dentals: Available - Missing 1, 2, 16, 19, 30, and 32 antemortem. Fillings in 3, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, and 20. Root Canal in #9​

According to the video at my 2nd link; this is the route Lester took to get to WA. Maybe it will help to figure out who she was.

Google map link
He went through Kansas; Colorado; Wyoming, Utah; Idaho; Oregon.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Video at the 2nd link

According to another article; Lester was 26 Woman burned in fiery crash: Her death a mystery since 1991 - It was May 14, 1991 on I-5 South near Kalama when one semi-truck crashed into another killing two people instantly.

Lester Harvel., 26, was burned in the crash beyond recognition and so was his passenger, a woman who has never been identified.

“We don’t not believe that he was dating her, reason being he had a girlfriend back in the Missouri area to our understanding. And I have contacted the family and attempted contact with that girlfriend, but I have spoken to the family and it leads me to believe that she was an unauthorized passenger. But I don’t know if it was a relationship or he was just giving her a ride,” Wilcoxson said.

Attachments

• UP_10449Route1J.jpg
    UP_10449Route1J.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 277
  • UP_10449Route2J.jpg
    UP_10449Route2J.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 267

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online