WA WA - Cowlitz Co, AmInd/NativeFem 20-29, UP10449, passngr in MVA, scoliosis, May'91

Someone answered the city-data post saying they spoke to his mom who even gave the investigators all his credit card records so they could check every place he stopped along the road. Through that, they found a witness who saw her and was able to describe how she looked and what she was wearing. The passenger was not his gf and is believed to be Native American or Hispanic. A drawing of her reconstructed face has been released and the story is airing on TV in the Wa area. Someone came forward with information of a person from Portland who went missing in WA in that timeframe, and they are checking that out as a possible match.

Forensic artist works to recreate face of woman killed decades ago - UPDATE April 4, 2014 –

Another update on the mission to identify a woman killed in a fiery crash.

This week, Washington State Patrol detective Greg Wilcoxson began visiting truck stops between Tacoma and the crash site, posting fliers and asking for anyone who may think they know her name to contact them.

Investigators think she may be Native American based on people who saw her before she and long haul truck driver Lester Harvel died in the accident on I-5 in 1991.

Her body was exhumed in January. Then forensic artist Natalie Murry created a sketch of her. It’s generated many leads, even one from Canada.

Now, Wilcoxson hopes the flyers he’s handing out finally solves the mystery of who she is.

“We will continue to post the truck flyers along the route of the truck,” he said. “We will contact the truck stops and weigh stations and ask them if they will post this flyer in their facilities as well.”

He is also going to send the fliers to law enforcement agencies and the media in cities along the route between Washington and Missouri where Harvel’s trip started.

Authorities release facial reconstruction drawing of 1991 'Jane Doe' “I want to make sure she gets back to her family,” said Cowlitz County Coroner Tim Davidson. “So they can have some closure after wondering what’s happened to her for all these years.”

The woman was traveling with trucker Lester Dean Harvel of Illinois when both of them died in the May 14, 1991, crash on Interstate 5 near Kalama. She wasn’t supposed to be in his truck, and authorities believe Harvel picked up a hitchhiker somewhere between Missouri and here. He stopped in Tacoma and was headed to Portland when the crash happened.

The woman’s body was burned in the fire that followed the crash, hampering the identification. All officials knew in 1991 was that she was between 5-foot 1-inch and 5-foot 4-inches tall and had been treated for scoliosis. Her age was estimated as early 20s and officials thought she might be Native American. Unable to identify her, the woman was buried as a Jane Doe in Longview.

According to the video at my 2nd link; this is the route Lester took to get to WA. Maybe it will help to figure out who she was...

It was May 14, 1991 on I-5 South near Kalama when one semi-truck crashed into another killing two people instantly.

Lester Harvel., 26, was burned in the crash beyond recognition and so was his passenger, a woman who has never been identified...

Do you know the date that he set out on his westerly run?

Emily Ballantyne was last seen in Winnipeg on April 27th. If she headed straight south out of Winnipeg on highway 29, she would arrive in Kansas City, and might have arrived in plenty of time to hitch a ride to WA with L.H., even if it took her a week to get there.

Awh, maybe it's too much of a stretch.

Do you know the date that he set out on his westerly run?

Emily Ballantyne was last seen in Winnipeg on April 27th. If she headed straight south out of Winnipeg on highway 29, she would arrive in Kansas City, and might have arrived in plenty of time to hitch a ride to WA with L.H., even if it took her a week to get there.

Awh, maybe it's too much of a stretch.

I haven't seen that info, but Emily's kids are posting here

Emily Ballantyne has been ruled out. I received a reply from CanadasMissing.

Just read through this and thought I would point something out. I don't see that anyone has focused on this, but the article Roselvr posted above says: "All officials knew in 1991 was that she was between 5-foot 1-inch and 5-foot 4-inches tall and had been treated for scoliosis.". If they knew for a fact she had been treated, it would had to have been surgical treatment, correct? If nothing to identify her survived the fire, and the list of her belongings/clothing didn't include a brace, isn't it safe to assume the treatment for scoliosis was surgical?

It would sound likely. Generally surgical treatment of scoliosis involves inserting rods to support and straighten the spine, so it would be quite obvious.

But not serial numbers on the hardware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno. Probably something but the record keeping isn't always as good as you might expect :(

Highly doubtful. Benjaman Kyle had hardware in his elbow; they did not track them back then. My lumbar fusion was done in 2001 & again in 2006; doubt either of mine were tracked either. The only thing they can tell is what yrs they used certain hardware.

The main reason they keep track of medical hardware at all isn't anything to do with identifying patients, it's for keeping track of information for recalls and complications. So I'm not surprised they wouldn't care about the details.

That's crap though. It could be really useful.

You're right, it is crap! Especially these days when it's so easy to add a few numbers to the hardware itself to track that specific part and who it's going into; then add to a database. They do it with breast implants why not hardware?

I can also say the same thing about tattoo's. It should be mandatory that every tattoo parlor takes a photo and uploads to a NamUs type database. In this day & age, it is so easy!

A voluntary opt-in would be good. I'd agree to having my name connected to something if it meant (God forbid) something were to happen my loved ones could have closure.

Yeah, I'd be all for a voluntary database where you could register whatever identifying information you wanted for yourself. You could even have your DNA profile done and stored that way.

Yeah, but it's an extreme violation of the privacy of millions of individuals for a reason the government has no legal reason to require.

Agreed. Personally, I would not want pictures of my tattoos on file anywhere. The chances of me needing to be identified by my tattoos is very slim. I do have metal rods and screws in my spine; if those have serial numbers on them, I'm perfectly fine with that.

So here's the rule out list from NamUs (https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10449 ) as of 5/3/16:
Emily Ballantyne 1966 Washington
Barbara Cotton 1965 North Dakota
Angela Hammond 1971 Missouri
Nguyet Phung 1971 Washington
Barbara Sterbinsky 1959 Washington

It's kind of surprising she hasn't received more attention -- but hopefully, since we have this reconstruction, she can come home! Fingers crossed 2016 is the year for her.

Yeah, I'd be all for a voluntary database where you could register whatever identifying information you wanted for yourself. You could even have your DNA profile done and stored that way.

And then you would have peeps yelling *Mark of the beast*. Can't win for losing...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back