WA - Four killed in Pilchuk High School shooting, Marysville, 24 Oct 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Providence hospital has it narrowed down to handful of family members involved - one girl had to back into surgery as they had to relieve pressure on the brain.

Tribal members are stopping by hospital, one said 'I think my family member is inside, don't know for sure', many family members are gathering and are shocked.

FBI has set up outside of the school, multiple LEO agencies involved in the investigation, large crime scene,

KIRO is praising the 1st year teacher who rushed in & tried to break up the shooting, grabbed the gunman, he didn't shoot her, he got shot.

5 pm Police briefing:

Timeline
10:39 anon. 911 Call
10:41 ??
10:43 shooter down
?? Police cars arrive
11:00 ?? I think evacuation begins.

Sorry, husband needed my attention - it's dinner time...he's cooking.

2 fatalities. Shooter's was self-inflicted

2 victims @ Harborview
2 @ Providence
All under 18

School closed for week of 27th. No activities this weekend. Campus and pool closed. Grief counselors.

Oak Harbor HS, Marysville-Pilchuck football playoff cancelled - OH agreed to take second place in honor of victims

Herman Williams, Sr., from Tulalip Tribe speaks, expresses grief at involvement of tribe member.

Ty Trenary, Snohomish Sheriff, Cmdr. Robb Lamoureux, Marysville PD, speak.

Naming of vicitims – questions all over social media. Will not name names at this time. Will not promote attention to the shooter. Praises students and immediate response of various LE.

Next briefing 9 pm

Missed Q & A. Nothing new anyway.

Good local, updated, lengthy coverage from Seattle Times:

2 dead, 4 wounded in shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High

---
Four young people — two boys and two girls — were taken by ambulance to Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett. Three victims are alive and in very critical condition with gunshot wounds to the head, said Dr. Joanne Roberts, chief medical officer for Providence.

One of them, Andrew Fryberg, a 15-year-old cousin of Jaylen, had surgery then was transferred to Harborview Medical center in Seattle. One of the girls came out of surgery and is in intensive care. The other girl remained in surgery Friday afternoon, Roberts said.

The fourth, a 14-year-old boy shot in the jaw, was earlier transferred to Harborview. He was out of surgery and in serious condition Friday afternoon. He also is a cousin of Fryberg.

“His family is coming to grips with what happened,” a hospital spokeswoman said.
---
more at the link above

All identifications of the girls have been made, please allow the family to be left alone tonight. Neurological assessments of the girls, nurses in ICU will be very frequent checks for seizure activity, movement, to see what kind of brain damage there might be as they are coming out of anesthesia. The hospital will not release more info for a few days as it will take time to determine how the girls will fare. The hospital has provided different rooms for the families to be together, both girls are in the ICU. Please respect the family privacy with respect to the hospital information.

per Kiro - medical update from Providence Hospital

Providence Med. Ctr. Update

ID of all patients made. Families are with them, asking for privacy.

Both girls are in Critical Care Unit, in critical condition.

Doing neurological assessments, looking for brain damage. No short term prognosis. Family asking no information be released.

“No one in ICU is ever out of danger.”

Family are staying in rooms for family. Chaplins have been called in.

Reiterates need for family's privacy.

Per KIRO
Meghan Silberberger or Silverberger (not sure of spelling) who was the first year social studies teacher who ran in to disrupt the shooter.

Fight started with yelling at the lunch table per students @ the scene today. Jaylen was laughing and joking with friends earlier this morning. Shooter was really just frozen after shooting his friends, not sure if he was reloading or what happened but thankful for this teacher hero!

She is new to this school and risked her life running straight to the shooter. (Sounds like Silverberger)

KIRO reporting that Megan Silverberger grabbed Jaylen's arm while he was attempting to reload and they struggled. Not sure if the gun went off or if he shot himself. Marysville, Snohomish, FBI, ATF, and other LEO's involved involved. The gun used was legally acquired gun. Marysville highschool vs. Oak harbor game cancelled tonight -OH accepted defeat due to tragedy today.

They have been showing pics of Megan Silverberger on KIRO - she appears to be a petite young pretty blond. KIRO is attempting to contact her for an interview.

Daily Mail with lots of pictures:

Pictured: Homecoming king gunman, 15, who had just returned from suspension
opened fire in school cafeteria killing one & injuring 4 before he shot himself dead

◦ Jaylen Fryberg, 15, opened fire at 10.39am Marysville-Pilchuck High School
◦ He shot five people, killing one, before fatally shooting himself
◦ Four of the victims are in critical condition in hospital, one may be his cousin
◦ Classmates described Fryberg as popular, he was a homecoming prince
◦ Fryberg, a Native-American, was 'suspended from the team for fighting'
◦ Witnesses said he had a 'blank stare', there was 'blood all over the cafeteria'
◦ The presumed murder weapon, a .40 caliber Beretta handgun
◦ It is believed to be his father's gun, recovered at the scene
◦ A classmate said Fryberg was angry that a girl at the school rejected him
◦ He posted his last tweet last night, it read: 'It won't last... It'll never last...'
◦ School in Marysville, 30 miles north of Seattle, closed until November 3

Hello everyone . . . I see you all lurking!

You can join in the conversation, I'm just transcribing what I am hearing in bits & pieces. I appreciate MsMarples transcription too - I think it helps to have two people that way if I miss something - it's usually picked up by the other.

A shout out to guests . . . join us!

Jarron Webb, 15, said the shooter was angry at a girl who would not date him, and that the girl was one of the people shot. He said he believes one of the victims was his friend since kindergarten.

Zach Yarbrough, a junior, said he saw the shooter “extend his arm across a round table and fire his gun three to four times.”

Marysville is among three school districts recently chosen to share a $10 million federal grant for improved student mental-health services

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/10/shooting-reported-at-marysville-pilchuck-high-school/

TV: A fire alarm went off

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/10/shooting-reported-at-marysville-pilchuck-high-school/

Jaylen sent texts to family members just before the shooting telling them to do certain things when he was gone - per KIRO. Silverberger rushed the shooter, eye witness says she grabbed his arm while he was reloading or fussing with the gun. They tusseled and the gun went off, Jaylen was the one who went down.

You know, given that Ms. Silberberger grabbed JF, stopping the shooting, after which he shot himself, I have to wonder if he didn't intend to shoot himself but rather was looking for a “death by police” ending.

I suppose it doesn't matter at this point but still, it might provide some insight into what his plan was. IOW, was he reloading, and if so, did he intend to continue shooting students? Some students said he shot randomly – is that really the case?

That's what the shooting appears to be – just a random shooting of whoever was nearby. OTOH, since it seems to have been inspired by anger over a girl so perhaps there's more to his story.

I guess we'll learn more over the next few days. In any case, my heart breaks for everyone involved, including Jaylen.

So disgusted looking thru Twitter. Members of mainstream press are literally tweeting people asking for them to call them- and I saw some to the victim's themselves. Of course they didn't know they were victims at the time- they just found their names on his Twitter.. but still.

A boy who witnessed the attack said at one point during the shooting, the gunman's handgun jammed, and the boy used that opportunity to flee the cafeteria.

I was in my classroom and someone pulled the fire alarm and we thought it was a fire drill and we ran out and they told us to go back in a classroom,; student Cindy Rodriguez, 17, told NBC News. 'We're scared.'

Officials at Marysville-Pilchuk posted a message on the school's website that read in part: 'Students who attend MPHS campus are being relocated to the Shoultes Community Church at the corner of 116th and 51st Street. Buses will take students home from there.

'Those parents in the area wanting to pick up their child will need to go to the church location and sign out their child out with school administrator or law enforcement.

These are beautiful children! they are so very young, 14 & 15 y/o kids - just starting to learn about relationships, life, the world, and their lives are forever changed in a second

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73
Back