Found Deceased WA - Jenise Wright, 6, Bremerton, 2 Aug 2014 - #10 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for her qualifications as an attorney and this was literally the first link I clicked https://www.mywsba.org/DisciplineNotice/DisciplineDetail.aspx?dID=1484 (if this is not allowed please remove and do not put me in WS jail)

KOMO 4's article on GG's atty, a few years back http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2008/10/02/video-defense-attorney-in-court-for-own-dui/

I watched the video....given that she was contrite and assisted the victim with a civil suit for his injuries, the court took pity upon her. I wonder if she's going to use the same tack w/GG -- she 'womaned up' and I hope she will impart similar wisdom to GG

They answered this in the Kitsap Sun article. They keep updating the article, so you probably missed it. There's a backlog of people to evaluate and they're not sure how to house him since he's a juvenile. They're doing what they can in Bremerton but the IQ test has to be done in Steilacoom.
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/suspe...se-to-be-arraigned-on-murder-charges_16681876

That is a dilemma isn't it? If they house him w/minors he might kill again or harm a minor....if they house him w/adults there is potential for harm to him or potential litigation I guess.

That is really odd. Neither Jenise or Jeniece have been in the Top 1000 for baby names in the past 100 years. In the year 2011, there were 28 babies born named "Jenise" and 6 babies born named "Jeniece".

Don't ya love it? :heartbeat:

Then do the eval out patient ! FFS, what is going on here? I thought the purpose of the eval was to determine how his mental health was at the time of the crime. What good would it possibly to if it's 6 months from now after he's been sitting in a quiet cell and probably medicated? They don't have a bed, my a$$. Grrr

ETA ,, I'm telling you something is up . I said it few wks back when his first eval did not take place. Someone , somewhere is pulling some strings to keep this eval from happening.
( im not only a ws'er , I'm also a tinfoil hat wearer and I smell a conspiracy here :O )

Then do the eval out patient ! FFS, what is going on here? I thought the purpose of the eval was to determine how his mental health was at the time of the crime. What good would it possibly to if it's 6 months from now after he's been sitting in a quiet cell and probably medicated? They don't have a bed, my a$$. Grrr

ETA ,, I'm telling you something is up . I said it few wks back when his first eval did not take place. Someone , somewhere is pulling some strings to keep this eval from happening.
( im not only a ws'er , I'm also a tinfoil hat wearer and I smell a conspiracy here :O )

:maddening: I agree with you SCHMAE, it is maddening!! :pullhair:

p.s. I wear a tin foil hat too :autumn:

It's only the IQ test that has to be done at Western State Hospital. The other tests are being done (or have already been done) in Bremerton. I have no doubt there's legal wrangling being done to delay the process and keep him in our out of certain facilities for safety reasons. However, I don't necessarily discount the fact that they're backed up at Western State. It's doing evaluations for the entire west side of the state.

Is it just to determine his mental health at the time of the crime? I thought it was to determine if he was competent to stand trial, which could be an entire life issue of his that had not yet come to light. This article explains it quite well:
http://www.psychlawjournal.com/2012/07/what-happens-if-someone-is-found.html

This is from Colorado, but I would assume being found incompetent to stand trial is similar in other states. My point being, if GG is found incompetent to stand trial, it is possible that he could never be "restored to competency" because he may never have been competent in the first place, depending on the results of these tests. In which case, he could end up in a state hospital for the remainder of his life. JMO, based on some of the articles I have read.

Then the following article states:
"The American Psychiatric Association observed that a mentally ill defendant who pleads guilty becomes a party to “a bargain to which he did not competently agree” (Ref. 9, p 5). "
http://www.jaapl.org/content/34/4/458.full

I think they really need to determine he is competent without taking any shortcuts to keep from opening up a bag of appeal worms. JMO, again.

Unless he suffered a complete breakdown since he was arrested, I do not see how he can be judged incompetent.

He was functioning just fine until the arrest. He was out with his mother driving as we saw on the news. He was on FB. He was at the vigil. He in no way appeared psychotic.

Perhaps he has gone into some breakdown in jail. That would make sense. Who wouldn't have a breakdown if they realized what they have done? And I don't mean having a breakdown because you realize you are going to prison. I hope he had a breakdown because he realizes the horror he has committed.

Unless he suffered a complete breakdown since he was arrested, I do not see how he can be judged incompetent.

He was functioning just fine until the arrest. He was out with his mother driving as we saw on the news. He was on FB. He was at the vigil. He in no way appeared psychotic.

Perhaps he has gone into some breakdown in jail. That would make sense. Who wouldn't have a breakdown if they realized what they have done? And I don't mean having a breakdown because you realize you are going to prison. I hope he had a breakdown because he realizes the horror he has committed.

BBM , I have wondered about this.

As I mentioned above, they do this with pretty much everyone--in this part of Washington, anyway--charged with brutal crimes like this. We've had cases where low IQ and mentally ill people were charged, tried, and convicted, only to have the convictions thrown out on appeal. I'm sure the Kitsap County prosecutor doesn't want anything like that happening with this case.

Regarding the delay in having him evaluated, I just saw a story on King 5 where the prosecutor said mental health is so underfunded that there are all kinds of people waiting for evals. I'm sure those people are important too.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loc.../jenise-wright-murder-gabriel-gaeta/15522757/

As I mentioned above, they do this with pretty much everyone--in this part of Washington, anyway--charged with brutal crimes like this. We've had cases where low IQ and mentally ill people were charged, tried, and convicted, only to have the convictions thrown out on appeal. I'm sure the Kitsap County prosecutor doesn't want anything like that happening with this case.

Regarding the delay in having him evaluated, I just saw a story on King 5 where the prosecutor said mental health is so underfunded that there are all kinds of people waiting for evals. I'm sure those people are important too.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loc.../jenise-wright-murder-gabriel-gaeta/15522757/

The state's been struggling for years to accommodate the growing number of inmates needing pre-trial competency evaluations. Shrinking funds means no new facilities and long waits for beds in the Forensics Center so there's definitely a backlog. Nothing in the statutes prohibits an in-jail evaluation but I think you and Ghostwheel are correct, the prosecution is treading carefully to insure that the evaluation is thorough, including adjusting his meds if necessary.

And if he's had some sort of breakdown in jail, as human suggested, then it's doubly important that he be assessed in a mental facility as an inpatient in order to avert an appeal down the road.

All MOO only, of course.

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/main/legrep/Leg1006/Forensic0606.pdf

Roll with me here. There were reports that GG was on some kind of medication. I don't know what kind. (Anybody?) Being competent has nothing to do with being psychotic. "He must have a rational and factual understanding of the criminal proceedings against him and he must have sufficient present ability to rationally cooperate with his attorney to assist in his defense. If he does not have either of these abilities, it must be determined that his "incompetence" is caused by either a mental disability or developmental disability."

A person could be able to drive a car (with his mother), attend a vigil (with his parents), and be on FB(heck, you don't even have to be literate to be on Facebook...) and still have a mental or developmental disability. If GG refuses to answer every time his attorney asks him something, GG cannot rationally cooperate with his attorney to assist in his defense. This is not the same as being Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity.

I'm not saying he is NOT competent, but I could see how he might not be, depending on the outcome of the evaluation. JMO, based on pictures and comments I have seen attributed to GG.

How can refusing to answer be incompetent?

Roll with me here. There were reports that GG was on some kind of medication. I don't know what kind. (Anybody?) Being competent has nothing to do with being psychotic. "He must have a rational and factual understanding of the criminal proceedings against him and he must have sufficient present ability to rationally cooperate with his attorney to assist in his defense. If he does not have either of these abilities, it must be determined that his "incompetence" is caused by either a mental disability or developmental disability."

A person could be able to drive a car (with his mother), attend a vigil (with his parents), and be on FB(heck, you don't even have to be literate to be on Facebook...) and still have a mental or developmental disability. If GG refuses to answer every time his attorney asks him something, GG cannot rationally cooperate with his attorney to assist in his defense. This is not the same as being Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity.

I'm not saying he is NOT competent, but I could see how he might not be, depending on the outcome of the evaluation. JMO, based on pictures and comments I have seen attributed to GG.

If so, I'll save my thoughts for the mitigation stage where :Moo: I think it belongs iykwim

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

BBM

Personally, I am not going to give him that much credit. If he didnt have a breakdown BEFORE he got to prison, then I think it was being in prison that freaked him out. And NOT the horrors he had created.

If he was going to break down over what he had done, I think he would have broken down after the FBI came knocking. Or at the vigil. Or after they came the 2nd time for his DNA. Or after seeing it on tv. There are many times that the reality would have kicked in. jmo

BBM

Personally, I am not going to give him that much credit. If he didnt have a breakdown BEFORE he got to prison, then I think it was being in prison that freaked him out. And NOT the horrors he had created.

If he was going to break down over what he had done, I think he would have broken down after the FBI came knocking. Or at the vigil. Or after they came the 2nd time for his DNA. Or after seeing it on tv. There are many times that the reality would have kicked in. jmo

Agree. It seems to indicate if he had a breakdown it was all about "him" not what he had done.

I am in the middle of a book that many of you may find interesting. Manhunters:Criminal Profilers by Colin Wilson. There is a wealth of information.

I am in the middle of a book that many of you may find interesting. Manhunters:Criminal Profilers by Colin Wilson. There is a wealth of information.

Any tidbits to share?

How can refusing to answer be incompetent?

Seriously!

It's not incompetent. If he refuses to answer, that means he doesn't want to. It doesn't mean he can't.
I mis-posted. I'm not saying he would be REFUSING to answer. It doesn't mean he doesn't want to. It MIGHT mean he doesn't want to, but it could also mean he can't. As an example, if he truly doesn't know why he did it, he can't answer. He doesn't HAVE an answer. This is IF he actually has any kind of mental disability or developmental disability.

I have seen people with a very mild mental disability where they picked up a pet and accidentally killed it, one because he didn't realize he was holding it too close and smothered it. When asked why he killed the cat, he had no answer, because he only cuddled the cat. He didn't (intentionally) kill it. From the outside, he functioned like any other really shy 14 year old. He was mortified when he realized that he was the cause of the death of the cat (which, BTW took us several hours to explain).

Again, my point is that they really need to make sure there isn't any such mental disability or developmental disability that has up to this point not been identified. Because if there is, and it isn't discovered until later, it opens up a whole slew of additional available types of appeals. JMO. If I didn't explain it well enough this time, I won't mention it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CooperDeVille