WA WA - Lena Lang, 35, Olympic NP, Crescent Lake 27 MAY 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
(BBM)

"The lake is more than 600 feet deep in areas and about 500 feet deep near the search area, officials said... “Divers were able to reach depths of 100 feet,” said acting Superintendent Lee Taylor. “We have requested a ROV with special equipment and two operators from Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. This technology will allow us to explore deeper into the lake waters.""

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/...inues-for-woman-last-seen-on-inflatable-raft/

(BBM)

"The lake is more than 600 feet deep in areas and about 500 feet deep near the search area, officials said... “Divers were able to reach depths of 100 feet,” said acting Superintendent Lee Taylor. “We have requested a ROV with special equipment and two operators from Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. This technology will allow us to explore deeper into the lake waters.""

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/...inues-for-woman-last-seen-on-inflatable-raft/
I was afraid of this. Lake Crescent isn’t your typical weekend recreational lake. It’s treacherous due to depth and temperatures. I don’t remember any islands. (Grew up less than an hour away).

I grew up in Washington. Lake Crescent has no islands and the way the wind whips around the terrain surrounding it, it can be fairly rough water. I remember seeing some canoes and small boats out on it but no swimmers (the water is really cold).

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/...tion-about-missing-woman-as-search-continues/

Article from Saturday. Sounds like they are really looking for the person who was seen with the deflated raft that afternoon...

From that link:

Park authorities said in a press release issued Friday that rangers had received a tip that on May 27 a woman was seen carrying a deflated unicorn raft out of the woods and drove away in a dark colored SUV between the hours of 5:20 p.m. and 6 p.m. from a lakeside pull out near mile marker 226. “The woman in question is not the missing woman, Lena Lang,” the park said in the release.

Hmm well that is a bit concerning. Now, I guess it is possible that the person who took the raft had no idea there was a missing woman. It sounds like the woman with the raft was spotted the same day that Lena went missing, right? So it's possible word had not gotten around that there was actually a missing woman who had been on that raft. I guess a less nefarious explanation could be that this woman spotted the raft/float and since no one was around, she decided to take it for herself. Of course, that still doesn't get us closer to finding Lena.

A more nefarious explanation is that this person did something to Lena and made off with the raft to get rid of evidence? All MOO

Hmm well that is a bit concerning. Now, I guess it is possible that the person who took the raft had no idea there was a missing woman. It sounds like the woman with the raft was spotted the same day that Lena went missing, right? So it's possible word had not gotten around that there was actually a missing woman who had been on that raft. I guess a less nefarious explanation could be that this woman spotted the raft/float and since no one was around, she decided to take it for herself. Of course, that still doesn't get us closer to finding Lena.

A more nefarious explanation is that this person did something to Lena and made off with the raft to get rid of evidence? All MOO

The article says Lena was last seen on the float at approx 5:35pm and this lady was seen putting it in her car between 5:20 and 6pm the same day. So... probably nearer 6, and whatever happened to Lena, happened very soon after she was last seen. Strange!

I don't see someone stealing a deflated floatie, unicorn or not. How did it get in the woods anyway? I doubt the credibility of this sighting til confirmed

As someone who can't stand litter, if I was out and about in nature and saw some large piece of trash, I would potentially pick it up to be a good citizen. However, I would also be eager to let LE know that I did that as soon as I heard it wasn't just random litter!

A lot about this story is so odd. It isn't an appropriate place to use a floatie (although it is possible that she didn't realize this) and I haven't heard details about the sighting of her on the float - was she far from shore and in distress? Close by and having fun on the float?

I hope that LE gets the info they need to search the right places to bring her home.

As someone who can't stand litter, if I was out and about in nature and saw some large piece of trash, I would potentially pick it up to be a good citizen. However, I would also be eager to let LE know that I did that as soon as I heard it wasn't just random litter!

A lot about this story is so odd. It isn't an appropriate place to use a floatie (although it is possible that she didn't realize this) and I haven't heard details about the sighting of her on the float - was she far from shore and in distress? Close by and having fun on the float?

I hope that LE gets the info they need to search the right places to bring her home.

BBM. I prefer the pool over the beach, so I don't go to the beach often. But I would be too scared to bring a novelty float out in open water. I think a lot of people purchase unicorn type floats to use for instagram pictures, without thinking about safety. Regardless of what the product listing says - the majority of those types of floats are NOT safe for open waters IMO.

Upthread I mentioned a unicorn float I purchased last summer and what a it was. It was really only good for my stepdaughters to take cute pics with. There is NO WAY this float should ever have been near any type of water other than a pool, yet you can see on the attached screenshots that the pics in the listing depict a girl using it at the beach. Well, if there's one thing the listing got right, it's that it certainly was quick to deflate. lol. I've bought far too many of these type of crappy floats and they are all the same junk. Just my experience. /endrant

Anyway, I'm with ya on picking up litter whenever possible, and would likely take a large deflated float and throw it away. Maybe the lady seen taking the deflated float was just cleaning up what she assumed was litter, and hasn't seen any news coverage on Lena to put two and two together. Since LE knows who Lena was with that day, I would think they'd be able to determine fairly quickly if the friend was the person seen with the deflated float. Sadly, I am leaning towards this being a tragic accident. All jmo

Attachments

• Untitled0.jpg
    Untitled0.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 39
I haven't seen any updates about Lena. At first glance this appears to be a tragic accident but the witness accounts of a woman driving away with a deflated unicorn float shortly after Lena went into the water has me troubled.

I haven't seen any updates about Lena. At first glance this appears to be a tragic accident but the witness accounts of a woman driving away with a deflated unicorn float shortly after Lena went into the water has me troubled.
Do you really think someone would've caused her harm and then picked up the obnoxious unicorn floatie and drove off with the smoking gun? I think this is unlikely and just an unfortunate accident. May she be found soon.

Do you really think someone would've caused her harm and then picked up the obnoxious unicorn floatie and drove off with the smoking gun? I think this is unlikely and just an unfortunate accident. May she be found soon.

If the float showed signs of foul play such as being punctured from a knife or other sharp object and not from defective material and/or faulty manufacturing and then I would say yes. The responsible person would remove float leading others to believe this was some type of tragic accident. I know this an remote possibility but possible nonetheless. Most likely this is an tragic accident and hope Lena is found soon and her family and friends can have some closure.

Agree. I think this was a tragic accident. Those floats are not always easy to stay on, and if it was windy as several people have mentioned, it would have made it even harder. They’re nearly impossible to get on without assistance - when we had a big duck float someone had to hold it steady for anyone to get on it. If she fell off or even intentionally went in for a swim, it would have been nearly impossible for her to get back on the raft.

I think she fell off the raft, was unable to get back on, and succumbed to the cold temperatures and fatigue. A float that big isn’t even useful for hanging on to until you can be rescued because it’s so big and bulky. Also, if her nails were still as long and pointed as they were in that photo posted above, she could have punctured it and caused it to deflate. The wind likely blew it to shore.

If I was out at a lake and found a big float like that, if no one was nearby that it appeared to belong to, I’d probably grab it, take it home, check to see if it had any leaks, then patch it if possible. I know lots of kids who would love a free huge floaty. It would not have occurred to me prior to this to even attempt to find out if there was a missing person related to the float I found.

Any body of water besides a pool gives me so much anxiety. And even though my youngest kids are teens it’s still hard for me to let them go to the pool, even one with lifeguards!

Its been two weeks since Lena went missing and nothing new to report. Maybe she made it to shore and was disoriented a got a ride with someone but that person had nefarious intent.
The alternative is that she drowned in the Lake which isn't any better.
Hoping for the best for Lena.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lotsofelbowd
Back