WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in the northwest, I can also vouch for the fact that it is still light at that time of the night. We have some loooooooooong days up here! And Washington's days are longer than ours here in Oregon!

This is soooooo skeery as I also live in a small town! Everyone knows everybody and everybody knows everything, so no one seeing her disappear is also skeery. I wonder what she and her brother were fighting about and was it very serious? Did brother have friends with him during the arguement? It is hard to determine for sure that this is a stranger abduction at this point.

Was an Amber Alert issued?

Hi Distracted, I thought when a kid goes to Juvie he stays there and only leaves for preplanned trips or occasions. They can't just leave without permission.

Being in there only 1 week makes me think he wouldn't be outside the facility, so it would mean then she would have had to go visit him in person, right?

We just haven't heard that part of the story yet. xox

You're right. A kid can't leave without permission. But the length of stay can vary from a few hours to several years, depending on the offense and whether they have a bed. It's not unusual for kids to stay for a day or two if the offense is minor or it's a first offense.

I just read the post by the woman whose daughter was the last to see her that night (the one referenced upthread). There is quite a bit of info there. Lindsey only has one sibling, the brother that she fought with that night. He was supposed to walk her home but didn't.

http://www.komonews.com/news/49383897.html
The friend's father, Scott Williams, said he asked Lindsey to go home before it got too dark.
"She was here 10, 15 minutes, and then, you know, we said, 'You should probably get going before it gets dark,' and that was the last we heard of her," he said.
Witnesses say Lindsey seemed normal as she headed out around 9:15. Another friend even walked her part of the way, but Lindsey never showed up at her home.

In response to #62 above-info not confirmed by LE, not quoted by mother and not written in any of the news articles
So IF her brother was supposed to walk her home, how would he know when to come get her if the friend's father told her she had to leave within 10-15minutes of her arrival?
Was there a phone call to her mother saying she was leaving then and to send the brother and he didn't show up? -or- was there a planned time ? he was suppose to get her but she left earlier then 'planned' since she was asked to leave shortly after she arrived,therefore he wouldn't have been there to walk her.

Has anything been reported regarding 'where' the brother was during that time frame?

The friend's father, Scott Williams, said he asked Lindsey to go home before it got too dark.
"She was here 10, 15 minutes, and then, you know, we said, 'You should probably get going before it gets dark,' and that was the last we heard of her," he said.
Witnesses say Lindsey seemed normal as she headed out around 9:15. Another friend even walked her part of the way, but Lindsey never showed up at her home.

In response to #62 above-info not confirmed by LE, not quoted by mother and not written in any of the news articles
So IF her brother was supposed to walk her home, how would he know when to come get her if the friend's father told her she had to leave within 10-15minutes of her arrival?
Was there a phone call to her mother saying she was leaving then and to send the brother and he didn't show up? -or- was there a planned time ? he was suppose to get her but she left earlier then 'planned' since she was asked to leave shortly after she arrived,therefore he wouldn't have been there to walk her.

Has anything been reported regarding 'where' the brother was during that time frame?

I have a lot of questions about the brother too. He was supposed to walk her 'to' the friends, I don't know about home. Also, why was she going to a friends when she would only be there 10 minutes.

And yes, where was the brother? was he back home within 5 minutes of leaving? How long would it take him to get back if he walked her 4 blocks?

What was he in juvie for?

Good questions. Maybe there were text messages being sent back and forth? I read that Lindsey left her cell at home but maybe her friend or friends family members texted back and forth with Lindsey's brother or mother?

Just thinking of how our family communicates sometimes.

McCleary is a small town, and the bad part about that town is the roads to nothing but woods. Lots of them.

I'm really worried about the kidnapping angle, but yet another angle I was thinking about if she's such a Twilight freak is maybe a trip to Forks (Twilight haven) with someone she wasn't supposed to. I am heading with my niece up to Forks tomorrow. I will keep an eye out for her as much as possible, hoping that she will be found safe.

Latest was FBI stopping every car in McCleary and asking questions. Helicopters and dogs today.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/19886572/detail.html

I just read this thread today and I am struck at how 'mature' she is at 10 years old. At 10 most of the things she is interested in would not even be in my periphial. I was still playing with Barbies, wearing whatever mom gave me, talking to imaginary friends, innocent.

It is downright scary that a 10 yr old girl can post her picture on MySpace. Did her mother know she had a picture of herself up? I looked at the mothers myspace account and Lindsay was not one of her 'friends' so that's good. Anyway, I am afraid of the possibility that someone approached Lindsay via myspace and she agreed to meet them or he was able to find out enough about her to stalk her.

Another concern, given the fact she is already acting like a teenager, is she ran away and is staying with god knows who. Surely would not be a friend considering their ages they all live with their parents.

The last concern is one that echoes what is already being mentioned - her brother.

A divorce can turn a child's life upside down and leave one exhausted in a world that is no longer predictable. According to articles, her father is in Mississippi, a move that may have left Lidsey feeling abandonded and alone, and for certain, sad. Her brother is/was in juvee which is another disruption within the famiy unit. One thing is for certain - Lindsey is vulnerable...and the vulnerable are what predators prey on.

My heart goes out to all family and friends of this beautiful child...seems like the FBI and police are working 24/7 to bring her home. I hope she is found soon.

I had to go and glean some info so I could understand what is going on with Lindsey.

* She says Lindsey argued with her brother on her way to a friend's house Friday night

* The friend's father, Scott Williams, said he asked Lindsey to go home before it got too dark

* Lindsey J. Baum was last seen at 9:15 p.m. Friday when she left her friend's home on Maple Street

* Lindsey was going to walk the four blocks to her home on Mommsen Road, which is roughly a 10-minute walk.

* Her mother reported her missing at 10:50 p.m

( http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49343017.html)
( http://www.komonews.com/news/49383897.html)

While I was searching and reading an Amber Alert was released for Lindsey:
http://codeamber.org/baumwa/wa_062909_1207_CANS_alert_baum.php

Did anyone look at the friends homeowner where she was last seen? Has anyone looked for RSO's living in that area?

The way I am reading this (I'm sorry I may read things other people post on the internet but I assign them as rumor until LE or the media reports the same) so I am only reading media reports at this time.

She was at the home of Mr. Williams. She left. She never made it the four blocks home. In a very small town? Now that to me is more odd than the fight with her brother before she went to Mr. Williams home. We also have a fairly significant time from the time she was reportedly last seen, to the time her Mother reported her missing.

As for someone signing into her myspace page, it could be her...or it could be LE or it could be a family member that either figured out her password or saw it written down. I don't know what to think about that as of yet so I will hold my opinion.

Little girls do not walk off the face of the earth. Has LE cleared the last person reported to have seen her? TIA

National Guard chopper joins search for missing McCleary girl

The National Guard has joined the FBI, search and rescue teams and dozens of volunteers in looking for a 10-year-old girl who vanished Friday while walking home from a friend's house.

Meanwhile, friends and family members have planned a prayer vigil for Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. at Beerbauer Park.

[snip]

A wide-ranging search was launched early Saturday in the town and the surrounding forests. The town was criss-crossed three times, but not a trace of Lindsey has been found. Even bloodhounds failed to pick up her scent.

More: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49428097.html

I have a couple questions.
I'm sorry if they've been asked already.
Her mom said "my divorce"....do we know for sure that it was Lindsay's dad that she just got divorced from or could it have been a step father this time?
Also, it said her father lives in Tennessee and has been contacted and isn't a suspect...he's only been contacted?....why isn't he there searching?
Also has anyone seen anywhere else if they suspect anything about the brother being involved or how old is he?
Is he old enough to drive?

http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_062909WAB-Mccleary-girl-missing-LJ.1a971644.html

Conflicting reports:

Lindsey's friend, Michaela Campen, is the last person known to have seen her. The girls were at Michaela's home Friday night, hoping Lindsey could sleep over.

"I told her you need to head home, it's getting dark soon, a half hour of light left. She put on her shoes and headed home," said Kara Campen, Michaela's mother.

Lindsey was alone for that nearly half-mile walk.

The family says Lindsey argued with her older brother earlier in the day Friday and her parents recently divorced.

The article states that the RSO's have been contacted by LE.

I looked for RSOs. There aren't any in the near vicinity of the friends house, but there are 4 in the McCleary town limits, and I think 3 or 4 more around McCleary. I'm sure that local LE and the FBI have looked into the RSO angle. If she was taken, the perp was probably under the radar, as McCleary is such a small town.

I have just read over this thread.
Scary that a ten year old in a very small town could disappear like that.

It is also scary that scent dogs did not find her scent.
Odd, in that, she was said to be at the friend's house, the dad asked her to go home as it was getting dark, and a friend even walked her halfway home, according to the news article.

1. I cannot think of a reason why a father of a friend would lie about Lindsey B being there, if she never made it.
2. I cannot think of a reason why she would just disappear, 5 min. from home.
3. I do not know what kind of argument she had with her brother when her walked her to the friend's house.
Was it the name calling argument? Or the 'go live with dad, you are so dumb, argument?

There could be all sorts of possibilties:
She could be hiding out at a friend's house. Ten years old, now in major trouble, with police looking for her. But you would think another friend could not hide her from the parents for very long.

She could possible have been attacked by a cougar. I live in a small town, right by the mountains, and we have cougar sightings several times a year, but no one has been attacked.
If she had been, there would have been evidence where it happened.

If her brother came to meet her and we have no evidence that he did, I suppose they could have gotten into a fight and he hit her and she fell and he hid her somewhere.
Again, where is the blood evidence and why wouldn't the scent dogs track her?

What would be a distraction for a ten year old on the way home, at dusk?
Almost anything, I would think.

And of course, there is the RSO angle. There could always be some one like that around who happened to take advantage of an opportunity.

Major question in my mind: Why couldn't the scent dogs track her?

She was walking four block on Maple ST to Mommsen ST. Here's a map of the town.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...102,-123.266344&spn=0.006959,0.01929&t=h&z=16

Steadfast I did a white pages find your neighbors search and came up with this address for Lindsey? I think this may be her home.

Hope this map link works (maps aren't my thingy)

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourcei...i7Ag&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

I'll keep looking for the address from which she is reported to have left at 9:15 PM no luck so far.

I just wrote this long post, but it disapeared. :(
Here i go again....
Did Lindsey have permission from her mom AND her friend's parents to go over there? Like was there a plan? Did her mom call ahead? Were they expecting her?
It just seems kinda weird to me that if they knew she was coming that she'd be asked to leave almost as soon as she got there.
Also, doesn't 4 blocks seem like a long way for a 10 year old to walk home alone? Especially if it's almost dark?
Was her mom called when she was leaving? If she knew when she left, why would she wait till 10:50 to call the police?
I'm just saying....i dunno....i could be really overprotective w/ my kids, but when my kids go to their friends' houses that live only like 2 min away if you drive by more like 10 or 15 if you walk, me or the other parents have no problem getting in the car and pick up or drop off.
Too much can happen in that 10-15 min period of a child walking alone. :(
Another question is....did the friend's dad leave the house at all AFTER Lindsey left to walk home or was he home the whole time?

A CANS Alert has been issued for Lindsey. http://codeamber.org/baumwa/wa_062909_1207_CANS_alert_baum.php

CANS Alert Issued for 10 Year Old Washington Girl
[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL]Posted: Monday June 20, 2009 12:07 PM CT[/FONT]

Code Amber News Service (CANS) issued this Missing Endangered person Alert after the girl went missing on Friday evening (06-26) while walking home from a friends house in McCleary Washington. McCleary is a small town of about 1,500 residents and is about 15 miles west of Olympia. There is no evidence of foul play in this case but the FBI is joining the investigation and search today (Monday 06-29). The FBI will also be bringing in additional law enforcement personnel to help in the investigation and search. No Amber Alert has been issued in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme