WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
*SNIPPED*

I live on the east coast and am not in a position to be able to travel to WA and search for LB. I've thought about it but reality dictates that's all I may do. But if I were there searching, I can guarantee I would leave no stone unturned, no bush left unshaken, no valley unswept. I've watched some searchers on TV (news) and I sometimes become disgusted because what I see are people simply walking through the woods, past bush thickets or leaf burms and such. Walk over to the items, feel them, shake them, examine the underbrush. Footprints? Broken stems? Etc.

And, that brings me back to the discrepancies ... it certainly appears that some pieces of the time line and circumstances do not correlate for whatever reason, and that should not be ignored.

I just wanted to say that as one of the searchers who has been filmed while searching, no matter what you see on TV we really are doing pretty thorough searches. When being filmed it's just easiest to walk along and look like you're doing something, because if you actually were to find something while the reporters were there it could really cause some problems.

When I had to go out with a camera crew, I saw something I wanted to look at, but tried not to have any kind of reaction because a reporter's job is to be nosy, and if there was something important it didn't need to be on the 5 o'clock news before LE had checked it out. I even told the team I was out with that I didn't want them doing any real searching until we were alone, and then we went back over all the areas we'd glossed while the cameras were there.

One of the most important things that searchers are told before they go out is that you aren't to touch anything with your hands. So...many of us have sticks or other items that we use to move things around when looking.

I'm not trying to make this an attack, but as you haven't been out on the searches (I understand not wanting to fly across the country) you haven't seen how thoroughly people really are looking. I was offended and hurt because the words used made me feel like myself and other volunteers were having their efforts become insignificant because we weren't seen to be doing it the way you wanted to see it done. Please don't believe what you see on the news, people really are turning over every leaf and breaking open every box and bag of garbage they find.

Thank You McCleary for sharing your search experience! I think we all know how hard what you do is and we all appreciate everyone who gets out there in the trenches, honest!!!

Thank you McCleary for that.

I also want to point out (thanks to a dedicated mapper) that when news crews are allowed to tag along on any of these searches, the team being followed is sent to an area that has already been searched thoroughly and has often been re-searched earlier in the day prior to the news crews coming out. Typically the searchers are made aware of this prior to going out. Just as an added security that way no unwanted surprises end up on the 5 O'clock news.

Sometimes in this scenario it is easier to not appear to look to thoroughly until you are sure you are no longer under the watchful eye of the media.

We have many a searcher whose clothes tell the tale that there is no brush to thick or wet, and no black berry vines too prickly.....

I was wondering about the searches, I am still learning around here. Are they still searching for Lindsey Baum? and if so, to the post above, it seems odd to research an area that has already been searched because of the media. Can you not tell them to leave? It doesn't make sense to evenhave a search if the search day is spent worrying about being followed by the media. If I missed something somewhere please let me know

Marie

Both Chuck and you have brought up some vital issues that could help in some way in solving this case.

My rambling thoughts:

When the kids left MB's home the understanding was that the girls were going to MK's to collect some clothes so that she could spend the night at the Baum's. MB sent JB with the girls to walk them to and from MK's house. However, along the way to the house JB and LB got into an argument and JB was sent home by the witness who texted MB to tell her what had happened. MB has stated that JB did arrive back to the house. So, if MB was concerned enough to send JB with the girls why wasn't she concerned for them walking back alone without JB?

Is it possible that this is the event when Lindsey was "chastised"?

If MB understood that the girls were simply going to MK's house to collect outfits and returning why did she not become concerned much sooner?

The bathing suit probably shouldn't be discounted with a theory that MB was aware. Do we know who provided this information to LE? IIRC didn't one of these parents share that the girls changed plans WHILE walking to MK's? Just to throw an idea out, perhaps the girls had already come up with a plan before they left MB's house, hence the bathing suit along with KK's statement that LB put her shoes back on.

Perhaps MK is the person who provided the information about what bathing suit(s) Lindsey was wearing to LE.

Then there is always the time frame issue of these events. Everything so far has been inconsistent except the video store footage. Seems like LE would want to focus on this issue b/c it could help the investigation in several ways such as why do the stories continue to change about that evening and if a more accurate timeframe could be provided IMO think it would help in the investigation.

Novice Seeker

My comments are above in red.

I was wondering about the searches, I am still learning around here. Are they still searching for Lindsey Baum? and if so, to the post above, it seems odd to research an area that has already been searched because of the media. Can you not tell them to leave? It doesn't make sense to evenhave a search if the search day is spent worrying about being followed by the media. If I missed something somewhere please let me know

Marie

MarieG - Yes we are still searching for Lindsey Baum. As for researching an area it is not odd at all - it may appear that way if you are not familiar with the way that it works but I assure you it is not. Also, we could ask media to leave but we would not - there is one thing that you learn fast - the media can be your best friend in situations like this because it is what helps to ensure that people don't forget her face, her story or the fact that she is out there somewhere waiting to come home.

Hopefully this helps with your questions!

:truce:
Welcome Hairball, love your screen name :)

The affidavit written when the Golder property was searched, specifically mentioned the bathing suit and the fact LE was looking for it. You say the public and searchers are not looking for it along with the outer clothing and shoes?

Not sure exactly who you are referring to when you question what some of the WS'ers are looking at, but be careful there. Jumping on someone for their opinion or asking a question isn't cool. Around here, we agree to disagree, not say someone is absurd.
I stand corrected then. But none of the fliers I have mention a bathing suit, that's the main reason for that comment. And I'm glad you're not sure who I'm referring to in my post. That shows I did a good job in NOT naming names or directing my post toward a specific member. And it wasn't just ONE person or post that mentioned something I didn't see eye-to-eye on about a specific topic. When something IS absurd, it should be described as such IMHO. Had I posted that I think MB is hiding LB in her attic, don't you think I'd get a ton of hate mail and negative comments, if not banned from the forum? Precisely my point. I'm all for finding LB alive, and we will. But anytime I read ANYTHING mentioning MB or KK and how they should be looked at closer, it steams me to no end. A few posters had mentioned something that ruffled my feathers. I've been in other forums for literally years without anyone correcting or scolding me for what I write. This is because I never mean any harm or disrespect toward anyone specific. I don't join forums to upset anyone or step on toes. I try to remain a likable person. More often than not, my posts have a twinge of humor in them. I tend to say some pretty off-the-wall, hair brain things. I'm a fun-loving person. However, I realize WS is not the time and place to be cute or funny. So I'll keep my goofy comments on my other forums. But please, don't get the feeling I'm going to be one of those internet trouble makers who acts like they know everything about anything. Having a few years of Law Enforcement classes in college doesn't make me an expert at anything, and I would never claim to be an expert in the criminal justice area (but if ya wanna know about Landlord-Tenant Laws, watch out! LOL!). Anyway, I realize my first post here on WS wasn't exactly one that earned me any Brownie points, and I apologize. But keep in mind that I didn't mention names or point fingers in who I was referring to. I just signed up, then read the entire thread from beginning to end. When I came to certain things that seemed like they were insinuating MB or KK had something to do with LB's disappearance, I blew up. I'll show a bit more respect next time. I'll remember this isn't a Cat forum, Motorcycle forum, Electronics forum, Computer forum or any other of the several I'm in. THIS one is a lot more serious, and members may tend to be a bit more sensitive. I hope I haven't made any enemies here.

Me after reading a few certain posts :furious:
Me after posting my first opinions :blushing:
Me now :HBwhiteflag:

That's funny......Obviously from some of the posts I've read people not from this area just don't get it. It's a jungle out there, walk 2 ft off the road, any road anywhere within many miles of McCleary and you have a (Darn I can't think of a number large enough) such bush thickets, or leaf berms and broken stems....Oh and there are simply NO footprints....Too much brush, undergrowth, salaal, ferns, blackberries....leaves, fir needles...You could spend every waking moment of what's left of your life examining them and you won't get them all....People these aren't the open forest lands you see back east. These are rain forest... or at least the edge of rain forest.....The undergrowth is tremendously thick.......

Every time my wife and I drive from Elma, past McCleary to Olympia we talk about LB about how enormous the task of searching the whole area is. How she could be 5 feet off the road in either direction and no one might know....and that's just a 25 mile drive on one road....it's enormous.

Off my soap box now...

DD:banghead:

No doubt, it seems WA state is one big forest. DD, your description of the area only emphasizes the necessity for complete search performance.

I just wanted to say that as one of the searchers who has been filmed while searching, no matter what you see on TV we really are doing pretty thorough searches. When being filmed it's just easiest to walk along and look like you're doing something, because if you actually were to find something while the reporters were there it could really cause some problems.

When I had to go out with a camera crew, I saw something I wanted to look at, but tried not to have any kind of reaction because a reporter's job is to be nosy, and if there was something important it didn't need to be on the 5 o'clock news before LE had checked it out. I even told the team I was out with that I didn't want them doing any real searching until we were alone, and then we went back over all the areas we'd glossed while the cameras were there.

One of the most important things that searchers are told before they go out is that you aren't to touch anything with your hands. So...many of us have sticks or other items that we use to move things around when looking.

I'm not trying to make this an attack, but as you haven't been out on the searches (I understand not wanting to fly across the country) you haven't seen how thoroughly people really are looking. I was offended and hurt because the words used made me feel like myself and other volunteers were having their efforts become insignificant because we weren't seen to be doing it the way you wanted to see it done. Please don't believe what you see on the news, people really are turning over every leaf and breaking open every box and bag of garbage they find.

re: my commentary:

Posted by ChuckMaureen: I've watched some searchers on TV (news) and I sometimes become disgusted because what I see are people simply walking through the woods, past bush thickets or leaf burms and such. Walk over to the items, feel them, shake them, examine the underbrush. Footprints? Broken stems? Etc.

I did not intend to insult anyone. I indicated what I've seen, and what I have seen is not limited to searches / videos only of this case.

It has been explained by others here why the LB searches appear as they do on tv, and I am aware that occurs but it does not for all cases.

I was involved in two searches on this coast many years back and how we were not to disturb a potential scene or materials, etc., and I witnessed firsthand how some few in the volunteer groups simply walked past a flattened 30 gal. trash bag, ["because that's too small to hide anything" .. his excuse was unfathomable], pop cans, a cigarette pack and never looked under nor behind multiple bush groupings.

My statements regarding how I might search an area was not directed to insult how anyone might be searching in this case and perhaps I should have made that clear at the start ... it was a proclamation of how, if I were in a position to help in the good work searchers are doing, I would proceed with a best intensity I could muster, and leave no stone unturned.

I have to make this point: You indicate you were "offended and hurt" and that you felt you were "having your efforts become insignificant".

Please don't make this case to be about the searchers and their effort. If you feel you need confirmation and adolation of what you are doing then perhaps a motivation is skewed?

I understand searchers are under duress much of the time while trekking through such dense and inhospitable terrain, and a pat on the back is always a welcome comfort, but it was not necessary to attack another's opinion and commentary in attempt to affirm an importance to what you do. The searchers actions speak volumes.

My comments are above in red.

Thanks for your responses to my ramblings. So, if MK was the one who told LE about the bathing suit this could possibly indicate the girls were planning to go swimming again that evening? How,when and who provided the information about the change in plans b/w the girls? Considering all the inconsistencies with who did what and what time it does warrant a closer look. Hoping you guys have this information right there next to you otherwise it looks like a trip to that dang library again.

Novice Seeker

re: my commentary:

I did not intend to insult anyone. I indicated what I've seen, and what I have seen is not limited to searches / videos only of this case.

It has been explained by others here why the LB searches appear as they do on tv, and I am aware that occurs but it does not for all cases.

I was involved in two searches on this coast many years back and how we were not to disturb a potential scene or materials, etc., and I witnessed firsthand how some few in the volunteer groups simply walked past a flattened 30 gal. trash bag, ["because that's too small to hide anything" .. his excuse was unfathomable], pop cans, a cigarette pack and never looked under nor behind multiple bush groupings.

My statements regarding how I might search an area was not directed to insult how anyone might be searching in this case and perhaps I should have made that clear at the start ... it was a proclamation of how, if I were in a position to help in the good work searchers are doing, I would proceed with a best intensity I could muster, and leave no stone unturned.

I have to make this point: You indicate you were "offended and hurt" and that you felt you were "having your efforts become insignificant".

Please don't make this case to be about the searchers and their effort. If you feel you need confirmation and adolation of what you are doing then perhaps a motivation is skewed?

I understand searchers are under duress much of the time while trekking through such dense and inhospitable terrain, and a pat on the back is always a welcome comfort, but it was not necessary to attack another's opinion and commentary in attempt to affirm an importance to what you do. The searchers actions speak volumes.

Chuck, I always enjoy bouncing thoughts and theories about this case with you and can't see where your comments could be seen as attacks on another. Hopefully others will realize that this is about the case that involves a child who disappeared which not one person saw or heard anything on the street.

So, don't you dare stop sharing your thoughts, opinions and theories.:blushing:

Novice Seeker

I stand corrected then. But none of the fliers I have mention a bathing suit, that's the main reason for that comment. And I'm glad you're not sure who I'm referring to in my post. That shows I did a good job in NOT naming names or directing my post toward a specific member. And it wasn't just ONE person or post that mentioned something I didn't see eye-to-eye on about a specific topic. When something IS absurd, it should be described as such IMHO. Had I posted that I think MB is hiding LB in her attic, don't you think I'd get a ton of hate mail and negative comments, if not banned from the forum? Precisely my point. I'm all for finding LB alive, and we will. But anytime I read ANYTHING mentioning MB or KK and how they should be looked at closer, it steams me to no end. A few posters had mentioned something that ruffled my feathers. I've been in other forums for literally years without anyone correcting or scolding me for what I write. This is because I never mean any harm or disrespect toward anyone specific. I don't join forums to upset anyone or step on toes. I try to remain a likable person. More often than not, my posts have a twinge of humor in them. I tend to say some pretty off-the-wall, hair brain things. I'm a fun-loving person. However, I realize WS is not the time and place to be cute or funny. So I'll keep my goofy comments on my other forums. But please, don't get the feeling I'm going to be one of those internet trouble makers who acts like they know everything about anything. Having a few years of Law Enforcement classes in college doesn't make me an expert at anything, and I would never claim to be an expert in the criminal justice area (but if ya wanna know about Landlord-Tenant Laws, watch out! LOL!). Anyway, I realize my first post here on WS wasn't exactly one that earned me any Brownie points, and I apologize. But keep in mind that I didn't mention names or point fingers in who I was referring to. I just signed up, then read the entire thread from beginning to end. When I came to certain things that seemed like they were insinuating MB or KK had something to do with LB's disappearance, I blew up. I'll show a bit more respect next time. I'll remember this isn't a Cat forum, Motorcycle forum, Electronics forum, Computer forum or any other of the several I'm in. THIS one is a lot more serious, and members may tend to be a bit more sensitive. I hope I haven't made any enemies here.

I may be one of the particular group that you referee to and that's fine. However, I don't share your opinion about these individuals and prefer to discuss and look at the crime scene very much like LE such as the FBI do. My opinions may appear absurd to you or others but they are mine and my thoughts and questions come from looking at this case without any blinders on. Nor am I willing to believe someone is innocent including family until there is clear evidence that shows that. So far, MB and KK have both provided multiple statements of what happened that evening. I'm here for only one reason and that is to be one of many voices for Lindsey and the justice she deserves.

Novice Seeker

I am sitting here and can not stop crying thinking about what this poor baby Shaniya went through. If a child can not trust their mother who can they trust???? Mom needs to be dead!!!
As you all know I am involved in the search for Lindsey Baum and as I am sitting here I find myself getting angrier and angrier about Lindsey. Where are the 300 people we need to help us find this baby? I know you all must be aware of the weather up in Washington and how it is changing day to day for the worst. We have to find Lindsey there is going to come a time when we can not go out and search even though there is still so many areas that we the searchers have not been able to get to. I am begging for people in the entire state of Washington to come to the center in McCleary Washington to sign up and help us find Lindsey. We need to bring her home!! What I want to say is Shame on you the citizens of Washington and most of the town of McCleary for not helping us search for Lindsey. Also I want to say shame on you Washington media for not putting Lindsey out there more and our plea for searchers. Searching for Lindsey is not about her mother, her brother or how you may or may not feel about the family this is about a little girl named Lindsey Baum who at the very least deserves to be searched for, found and brought home to her family. Please once again I am begging for help in searching for Lindsey. I plan on being up in Washington the rest of this week pounding the areas that need our attention before it is covered with snow. Rain or shine some of us will be out searching all week!! I will be up there Tuesday and for how ever long it takes.

On A Mission

I am sitting here and can not stop crying thinking about what this poor baby Shaniya went through. If a child can not trust their mother who can they trust???? Mom needs to be dead!!!
As you all know I am involved in the search for Lindsey Baum and as I am sitting here I find myself getting angrier and angrier about Lindsey. Where are the 300 people we need to help us find this baby? I know you all must be aware of the weather up in Washington and how it is changing day to day for the worst. We have to find Lindsey there is going to come a time when we can not go out and search even though there is still so many areas that we the searchers have not been able to get to. I am begging for people in the entire state of Washington to come to the center in McCleary Washington to sign up and help us find Lindsey. We need to bring her home!! What I want to say is Shame on you the citizens of Washington and most of the town of McCleary for not helping us search for Lindsey. Also I want to say shame on you Washington media for not putting Lindsey out there more and our plea for searchers. Searching for Lindsey is not about her mother, her brother or how you may or may not feel about the family this is about a little girl named Lindsey Baum who at the very least deserves to be searched for, found and brought home to her family. Please once again I am begging for help in searching for Lindsey. I plan on being up in Washington the rest of this week pounding the areas that need our attention before it is covered with snow. Rain or shine some of us will be out searching all week!! I will be up there Tuesday and for how ever long it takes.

On A Mission

I have Thursday and Friday mostly free...I'm all for coming out searching with you.

Hi, Hairball, and welcome to Websleuths!
b025.gif
Peace.
I'm pretty new here myself, but I've found other posters to be pretty thick-skinned types, except when the issue at hand pertains to a hurt or endangered a child (or any other innocent life). Unfortunately, and all too often, we are discussing exactly that. We feel the same things you do. We understand your anger; we share it. We all want Lindsey to come home safe and sound, and yesterday if not sooner, and we hate with you anything that gets in the way of that.

We also mean no harm or disrespect to anyone, and most especially not to the parents and loved ones of a missing child. We cry with MB, and with KK, and so many others, and we lie awake at night thanking God for the grace that finds our children sleeping safely in the next room. And when the morning comes, if there are questions that need asking, we ask them, even if it's hard. Some of those questions will turn out to have been unnecessary. Most of the answers won't matter. But the hard truth is that Lindsey Baum is still missing, and LE has no viable leads to her whereabouts. That means all questions are valid.

You said that you read this entire thread before posting. Did you realize that there are fifteen 'general' threads that come before this, sixteenth, one? There are also many threads which address specific topics, like the one for MikeB's wonderful aerial photos (
h035.gif
thanks, MikeB!) and the one for
s070.gif
sex offenders in the area. Angel Who Cares (
a010.gif
) brings all the news and media reports every day, here to Lindsey's forum.
There is but one reason for all of it: to support MB in finding her daughter and bringing her home. We support MB. We trust McCleary PD, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Department, and the FBI. We are grateful to every person who searches, and for every photo and bit of research. We can even appreciate your fierce defense of MB and KK, because it means your heart is in the right place, and that makes you
h053.gif
one of us.

(Note: sorry for all those "we's". I am speaking for myself only, and too lazy to edit.)

So many of the early video reports of Lindsey's disappearance have been taken down. Wonder if it would help to write the news stations with request to save the links?

Maybe they have a sub-station near McCleary with cameras?

ACTi joins forces with Milestone to secure Grays Harbor PUD
ACTi Partners with Milestone to Secure Power Grid and Central Monitoring Station for Grays Harbor PUD
Grays Harbor PUD is a publicly owned utility district located just outside of Seattle in the rural areas along the coast of SW Washington state. Like many power companies, Grays Harbor PUD is dedicated to protecting the critical infrastructure their customers depend on while ensuring the safety of their personnel. In these remote areas, theft is also a concern, so the PUD is constantly monitoring its facilities to ensure cooper and other critical assets are protected. With 20 substations and a central monitoring HUB, Grays Harbor PUD needed to find a reliable IP surveillance solution, and an IP solution from ACTi was the logical choice.

Partnering with Custom Security, a local Systems Integrator out of Olympia, Washington, ACTi cameras and video servers were used to give Grays Harbor PUD a solution that was efficient, highly saleable and cost effective. When the PUD started to expand the scope of their surveillance system, some legacy PTZ Speed Domes were converted to IP using the ACD-2100 video encoder. Additionally, some substations were without 360-degree coverage so ACTi CAM-6630's IP Speed Domes were installed to give each substation a full view of its surroundings. These cameras give operators a full overview of the substation sites at 30 FPS at D1 resolution. For fixed positions, the ACM-7411 was an attractive choice. At 1.3 Megapixel, the ACM-7411 has an IP66 rated vandal resistant housing that provides operators with excellent video at 1280 x 1024 resolution. Aside from providing perimeter coverage to ensure the sites physical security, the 1.3 Megapixel resolution allows for technicians to assess problems faster and easier by providing digitally enhanced images to properly assess whether or not a technician is needed on site. Before these cameras, any alarm at the substations would summon a PUD technician, sometimes responding to false alarms. With the cameras able to clearly read gauges, Grays Harbor PUD is able to save resources from unnecessary time and travel costs. In certain instances, ACTi cameras and video servers were used to give Grays Harbor PUD a solution that was efficient, highly saleable and cost effective
IR illuminators are strategically placed to give the cameras the ability to capture better detail in extreme low light environments.

Each substation sits on a high-speed fibre optic backbone that is directly connected to the central monitoring HUB. These connections allow for real time monitoring of all facility operations. The HUB itself consists of 18 separate buildings that are also connected with a high speed fibre optic backbone. Video is managed and recorded using Milestone's XProtect video management software. Mike McCahan, a project manager for Custom Security has been involved in this project from the beginning. Mike points out: "The cameras give the PUD eyes in the middle of nowhere including mountain top communication sites which serve many purposes including safety of employees working in remote areas, dangerous areas or in some cases alone at remote sites. The cameras also help with fence alarm signals," adding "they (technicians) can rapidly pull up a camera and see what is going on. This is where the PTZ units shine as they replace many cameras to gain full coverage of yards, substations, parking areas, storage facilities with valuable items behind fences."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214