WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Kadence is still with MB.

Thanks Salem. Sorry about that. Is it ok to use the minor's full name if listed in the media? TIA!

Hi Jules, Yes, her full name was printed in the media, and I won't bring that link here but instead post one other line from that link:

" . . “She was my best friend,” ________ said. “The FBI has been to my house, like, two times.”

If there is anything to this it will come out anyway. xox

... total stretch, I know, but the first scenario that came to my imagination was the possibility of an old surveillance tape from Shell showing a man forcing a young girl into his car - the image not clear enough for a positive ID on the child - and the man claiming it was his own daughter, not our precious Lindsey. But then how would this lady from Elma even know about such a thing even if it were true?

Just a flight of imagination here, but decided to post this anyhow.

That's actually pretty plausible. They might have had a video like that all along. If it's not clear enough to identify anybody, it wouldn't have helped the investigation and they certainly wouldn't have made it public.

Anybody could know about it -- station employee, family member of station employee, eavesdropper, anybody involved with paperwork at the sheriff's department or police station, etc. etc. etc. People do talk...

Thanks Salem. Sorry about that. Is it ok to use the minor's full name if listed in the media? TIA!

Actually - no. Even when the minor is named in the media, if we snip the part of the article that includes their name, we change the full name to initials within the snip. Unless the minor is the victim. We do this for minors - because we want to protect them the best that we can.

We change the name of adults to initials in our posts, but if they are named in the media and we snip that part of the article, we let it stand.

Hope that helps,

Salem

Actually - no. Even when the minor is named in the media, if we snip the part of the article that includes their name, we change the full name to initials within the snip. Unless the minor is the victim. We do this for minors - because we want to protect them the best that we can.

We change the name of adults to initials in our posts, but if they are named in the media and we snip that part of the article, we let it stand.

Hope that helps,

Salem

Yes that definitely helps!! Thank you, I didn't know that, but it does make sense to keep the minor's name out.

In the beginning we talked a lot about the possibility of Lindsey stopping by the Nelson home to see if she could stay the night there (after she left the Kampen's). What about the possibility she went to CR's house to ask the same - was told no, so she proceeded to walk home and then ran into LR around the Shell station? Maybe he drove up and told her he changed his mind and yes she could stay the night??

In the beginning we talked a lot about the possibility of Lindsey stopping by the Nelson home to see if she could stay the night there (after she left the Kampen's). What about the possibility she went to CR's house to ask the same - was told no, so she proceeded to walk home and then ran into LR around the Shell station? Maybe he drove up and told her he changed his mind and yes she could stay the night??

Hi Jules, Good take on that.

Actually there is a quote from a post which I can't bring here. But the meat of it says that Lindsey did see another friend as she walked up south on 6th, {the unexpected way she walked instead of going straight down Maple}. It either said it was this CR or implied it - maybe implied, putting together the fact this child said in an article that she saw Lindsey soon before she disappeared. ETA: Plus that CR does live up a few blocks off 6th from 6th and Fir.

I am running out the door, will go re-read that tonight and give a better or more accurate overall interpretation of what that post said. xox

And it could be that it is not LR but maybe his younger brother who lived on his property, who could have said it was LR to cast aspersions away from himself or someone else.

That is only subjective speculation - NOT A FACT, but I think worth throwing out there in trying to open up the whole possible scenario. xox

I am split on a rumors thread because after 2-3 pages rumors start getting construed as otherwise. I've seen it many times. Rumors can pass to another place & then back again.

I also disagree with the rules by the inability to copy/paste. This hinders an ability to cite information, leaves things to interpretation & accuracy to be disputed.

JVK, doesn't look like we will get a rumor thread. I hadn't read this before but Tricia has a thread that says no rumor threads.

New Rules on Sex Offenders and Rumors. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

<snipped>
NEW RULES ABOUT POSTING OUT AND OUT RUMORS.
Many posters have been requesting Rumor Threads on several cases. We do have a Rumor Thread in the members only part of WS about Haleigh Cummings. The reason we did this was because an overwhelming amount of locals who knew both families wanted to post. The best way to handle that situation was to have a rumor thread in the private area. However, I don't want rumor threads on all the cases. Too much time is needed to moderate a rumor thread and it can get very weary.

It would be naive of me not to recognize the aspect of rumors in cases like Elizabeth Olten and Somer. Therefore we are going to try something different.

If you are a local and you have heard a rumor that is not ridiculous post it clearly as a rumor.

I won't check if you say you are a local. This is different than saying you know the family.

If this doesn't work out because people start relying on rumors or repeating rumors as fact we will change it back.

If anyone has any questions go ahead and ask me, PM me or email me at tgrif@xmission.com

JVK, doesn't look like we will get a rumor thread. I hadn't read this before but Tricia has a thread that says no rumor threads.

<snipped>

Thanks for that Jennifer,

I know how rumors on a thread can spread like wildfire and be dead ends then taken as fact. And none of us want to victimize any person with a rumor. So I understand Trisha's thinking and laud her creative effort on the matter.

The other thing I know is that often, after months of the case not being solved, posters need to broaden their horizons and look at other possibilities that might fit for some good reason or another. The problem with that is then one is looking outside of the box to get in instead of starting on the inside, working their way out as LE does. :banghead:

I am split on a rumors thread because after 2-3 pages rumors start getting construed as otherwise. I've seen it many times. Rumors can pass to another place & then back again.

I also disagree with the rules by the inability to copy/paste. This hinders an ability to cite information, leaves things to interpretation & accuracy to be disputed.

Actually - it doesn't because you add the link to the site. You can link all media, LE reports and social sites of Adults. It does get tricky if you want to link the site of a minor. We can't do that, unless the minor is the victim or a NAMED and charged perp.

Does that help? Adding the link allows the reader to go directly to the site and read for themselves. It is a bit difficult if the site is facebook and the reader does not belong to facebook - but that is where the paraphrasing comes in.

Salem

<snipped>

Aye - JenniferO - you are right. I ran the request by the Mods and a rumors thread will not be allowed. Tricia's post says it clearly, so I will just leave it at that.

I'm like jvk about the rumors thread, personally. I think they get out of control quickly and ruin good discussion. JMO.

Salem

Actually - it doesn't because you add the link to the site. You can link all media, LE reports and social sites of Adults. It does get tricky if you want to link the site of a minor. We can't do that, unless the minor is the victim or a NAMED and charged perp.

Does that help? Adding the link allows the reader to go directly to the site and read for themselves. It is a bit difficult if the site is facebook and the reader does not belong to facebook - but that is where the paraphrasing comes in.

Salem

Links cannot retrieve lost or altered information. Copied data can be quite valuable even to LE. Certain links/sites are considered a violation here.

In reviewing the case today I thought of Mr JM who lived across from the Beehive on 6th, south of Maple.

As I remember LE went back to his property 14 times between the time Lindsey went missing and Sunday - 1 1/2 days later.

I don't think they suspected JM at all as he was involved in a S & R organization there . But I'm now wondering if JM or anyone at his residence saw Lindsey walk past his house on 6th, maybe even walking south past Fir, and told LE right away what they had seen. And then LE decided to keep this bit of info close to the vest. ???

In reviewing the case today I thought of Mr JM who lived across from the Beehive on 6th, south of Maple.

As I remember LE went back to his property 14 times between the time Lindsey went missing and Sunday - 1 1/2 days later.

I don't think they suspected JM at all as he was involved in a S & R organization there . But I'm now wondering if JM or anyone at his residence saw Lindsey walk past his house on 6th, maybe even walking south past Fir, and told LE right away what they had seen. And then LE decided to keep this bit of info close to the vest. ???

Very good thought! There was an unknown witness reported by the media who saw Lindsey on Maple between 6th and 7th - or was it 5th and 6th? I really think Lindsey did turn South on 6th.

Very good thought! There was an unknown witness reported by the media who saw Lindsey on Maple between 6th and 7th - or was it 5th and 6th? I really think Lindsey did turn South on 6th.

Hi Jules, I'd have to read the Affidavit again, although I don't know if everything put in there was correct. :angel: I believe it said between 5th and 6th. I believe she was determined she didn't want to go home that night and did turn south up 6th to stop by her friends, got a no as you said earlier, headed over to the Nelson's, got another no and then maybe someone said OK to her as he pulled over in the area behind the Shell station.

IMO, an educated possibility ;} It seems like such a plausible possibility to me.

Hi Jules, I'd have to read the Affidavit again, although I don't know if everything put in there was correct. :angel: I believe it said between 5th and 6th. I believe she was determined she didn't want to go home that night and did turn south up 6th to stop by her friends, got a no as you said earlier, headed over to the Nelson's, got another no and then maybe someone said OK to her as he pulled over in the area behind the Shell station.

IMO, an educated possibility ;} It seems like such a plausible possibility to me.

Me too Scandi... me too.

Has anyone come out and confirmed for sure if Lindsey stopped by the Nelson house that night?

Me too Scandi... me too.

Has anyone come out and confirmed for sure if Lindsey stopped by the Nelson house that night?

As far as I've read it is 50/50. One source for another poster says definitely yes and another source for them says no. LOL So we don't have a confirmation on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonnyfastball