WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all-

This is my first time posting here but I've been following the forums for several weeks... The pictures from the vigil are great! I was just wondering if anyone else thought it odd that more people didn't attend the vigil? Maybe someone local or even those that attended tonight provide their views on how the community is feeling. Are they still highly supportive? Do they seem to have formed opinions about who is responsible, etc?

Also I do write at eHow and KK used to post regularly to the forums there with updates about the investigation, etc. However, she has slowed down considerably.

As much as I hate to say this, there might not have been very many people because there has been some aggressive "fundraising" for the family...and people are kind of getting tired of it. At the Bear Festival there was a guy working the crowd with a container to put money in and some fliers who was rather adament that people give money to help MB pay her bills...and very rude when people wouldn't give him money. I've heard people have gone door-to-door looking for donations, there are jars in the stores...

It's not that people don't care, some of them are scared it'll happen again, everyone is suspicious of everyone else, and no one wants to think they might know the person. There's just been so much suspicion and frustration, and people are tired of being hounded for money.

JVK - These pics are better than "Ok" - they are {{{Fantastic}}} and really "give a feel" as to the emotion of the vigil!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Morning NMK's, All ~ :coffeecup:

I've been thinking about this since you posted it yesterday. It bothers me to think that there is a possibility that towns in a fairly close proximity (I didn't mile it, but it looked like Hoodsport was pretty much a straight shot from McCleary when I Mapquested it), wouldn't have received some sort of Amber Alert/Missing Child posters for the local businesses to post.

I wonder if doing mailings and email alerts to surrounding & or far-reaching communities (within State) to print off and post up is something that has been done? If so, I wonder if it's just LE to LE. I'd sure be willing to put a little effort and money towards printing off a few flyers and mailing them off addressed to "The City of .........", also emailing the city clerk of towns, that sort of thing. It would be a snap.

Of course, it would be a lot easier in rural areas. I'll have to ask "His Mayorship" (hubby) if & how City Hall receives emails, mailings, etc. on missing children and Amber Alerts. Especially local missing children. I honestly don't ever recall him mentioning receiving these types of Alerts.

I understand that in time, once organized, they probably do reach out to more distant communities, but I'm thinking it's critical the word get out quickly, so if anyone wants to help organize such an effort, for Lindsey, or in the future, just give me a hollar.

As an elected official in the NW, I will say that NO, we get NOTHING. I even brought it up at a council meeting one time after we'd had our power out for two days and was told we have an emergency system, was given a packet of paperwork with mumble jumble in it and kept quiet. Now, that was early on in my service, so I'm bringing it up again - and will include the Amber Alert this time! Thank you for bringing this up!!!

Not my kids, yes, you can set Myspace to any city, state, country you wish.

And Hoodsport Washington is about 35 miles north of McCleary.

I *Knew a local such as yourself would have a better idea as to the distance between McCleary and Hoodsport than Mapquest would! {{{Thank you!!!}}}}

(heck - Mapquest doesn't even have *my street listed right) :confused:

Hi all-

This is my first time posting here but I've been following the forums for several weeks... The pictures from the vigil are great! I was just wondering if anyone else thought it odd that more people didn't attend the vigil? Maybe someone local or even those that attended tonight provide their views on how the community is feeling. Are they still highly supportive? Do they seem to have formed opinions about who is responsible, etc?

Also I do write at eHow and KK used to post regularly to the forums there with updates about the investigation, etc. However, she has slowed down considerably.

{{{{{ Welcome KansasMama !!!! }}}}}:wave:

I posted a while back - thinking along the same lines as you - that mayhaps someone witnessed the bike being left or attempting to be retrieved - wondering if anyone knew if the Shell Station was open that night, (and I apologize - I'm new and don't yet know how to "bump up" a post :eek: (but I'll learn, I promise!) ) - and if it was possible that someone there witnessed the bike being taken back there and/or Lindsay going back there and not returning. I was also curious about one of the 2 camera's that is not working, and why it's not working (intentional or random mechanical breakdown) and how long it's been inoperable.

If no-one knows the hours - I'll put on my "researcher cap" tomorry and call and get the hours. I think I've got to get a refill on my antibiotics (ouch) - but do have my voice back (much to my hubbys dismay! :) )

Ok - Have the answer to the Shell Stations Hours - I called and per "L" , during the weekday (M-F) they close anytime between 10 - 11 PM "depending on how busy they are" and the "decision is made by the night staff". Same applies to weekends. They open between 5 - 6 am. The person I spoke with was very friendly (probably sympathetic towards my still raspy voice (a combination between a sexy/smoky Demi Moore and a squeaky squashed frog :eek:- all I know is when I open my mouth here - everyone laughs...(including the dog :( ) but I did not know how to approach the broken camera thingy - so let it be.......

So - it is possible someone witnessed someone going behind the station and/or the sibling fight and may not realize it. (If this belongs on the bike thread - please let me know and I will repost over there - I do not yet know how to do the "bumpy thingy" ) :crazy: I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place!

As much as I hate to say this, there might not have been very many people because there has been some aggressive "fundraising" for the family...and people are kind of getting tired of it. At the Bear Festival there was a guy working the crowd with a container to put money in and some fliers who was rather adament that people give money to help MB pay her bills...and very rude when people wouldn't give him money. I've heard people have gone door-to-door looking for donations, there are jars in the stores...

It's not that people don't care, some of them are scared it'll happen again, everyone is suspicious of everyone else, and no one wants to think they might know the person. There's just been so much suspicion and frustration, and people are tired of being hounded for money.

Thank you for sharing that. It's unfortunate that the fundraising has caused some tension. I live in a small town that is very close knit (about the size of McCleary) and I think that could cause some problems in our town also. I hate to say this but I really think that MB and her family need a PR expert to come in and help them work with the media. While she shouldn't have to worry about impressions while her daughter is missing it does make a difference in the way the media covers and presents a case. She just really can seem very detached or unconcerned at times. I'm sure that's not the case and it is probably nerves. But I think having someone in PR work with her would really benefit them and increase coverage and possibly help rebuild some of those community connections. Just my opinion.

I sent email alerts pretty much nationwide for Haylee Donathan, I think it's time I send some for Lindsey. I'm off to find business emails for Hoodsport, just in case.

Hiatus over.

Ok - Have the answer to the Shell Stations Hours - I called and per "L" , during the weekday (M-F) they close anytime between 10 - 11 PM "depending on how busy they are" and the "decision is made by the night staff". Same applies to weekends. They open between 5 - 6 am. The person I spoke with was very friendly (probably sympathetic towards my still raspy voice (a combination between a sexy/smoky Demi Moore and a squeaky squashed frog :eek:- all I know is when I open my mouth here - everyone laughs...(including the dog :( ) but I did not know how to approach the broken camera thingy - so let it be.......

So - it is possible someone witnessed someone going behind the station and/or the sibling fight and may not realize it. (If this belongs on the bike thread - please let me know and I will repost over there - I do not yet know how to do the "bumpy thingy" ) :crazy: I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place!
I bet that sultry voice except for the squeak sounds good over the phone! Hope you get better soon~

Thanks for getting the hours. You did a great job so it is time to save your voice. ;)

To bump a post from a previous thread you can either quote it (hit the quote button on the post you want to bring forward) or to move up a thread from a previous main page simply write BUMP and save it. :) It moves it back up to the first page where people will notice it. To carry a post over from another thread, hit quote then copy/paste it into the new thread. Hope this helps! Now...go gargle with saltwater again. :D

Someone should really tell the family or the spokesperson for that group this is happening. First, to make certain they are aware of the person who was collecting at the Bear Festival. Second, so it can be addressed either at the next vigil or from the center once they get it set up. If the spokesperson is worth anything, she will put a halt to the door to door donation gathering and people asking for donations on the street. It isn't acceptable for many reasons and safety being one them, imo.

The store venues are acceptable places to allow donation cans where there is no pressure to give something and the money can be accounted for by the person collecting them. Since there are two bank funds, people simply need to be made aware of those and make it safe for everyone to help out this family or to increase the reward.

As an elected official in the NW, I will say that NO, we get NOTHING. I even brought it up at a council meeting one time after we'd had our power out for two days and was told we have an emergency system, was given a packet of paperwork with mumble jumble in it and kept quiet. Now, that was early on in my service, so I'm bringing it up again - and will include the Amber Alert this time! Thank you for bringing this up!!!
While you are at it, you should check into Lifesaver International which can be run out of the Fire Dept. or the Sheriff/PD agencies. It is designed to assign gps tracking for patients with Alzheimers and also used for Autistic children. It is a minimal cost to taxpayers and the families, but with a great return when someone goes missing since the search cost is saved and they can basically go right to an area to find them. ;) (Haddie~ This goes for you, too!! Talk to that hubby!)

You and the board are welcome Jen. I feel as a member here, being a local, it is almost my duty to try and get the info for other members. The more accurate information we get, the better chance we have to solve this mystery. Much thanks to Jvk too! We talked before hand and took different angles. Worked out pretty well I thought.
You both did an excellent job and we are so grateful! The photos are wonderful! Once again, our members came through for us. We are so lucky to have this group! :) Bravo!

Btw~ Did you happen to notice the man in the photo of the bleacher crowd (with the grandmotherly person) was giving you the "eye"? If you will look to the far right almost out of frame, he is wearing a black shirt. (Hope that isn't JVK and I am just being suspicious! LOL) However, everyone else seems oblivious to you except him.

ETA: Has anyone noticed there has been nothing mentioned about grandparents? I could have missed it, but I would think they would want to be there with the family if possible. Anyone know anything about this situation?

All caps "how do you know my email address?" Obviously not very computer savvy.

ETA above was the response of the AC that left the comments in Lindseys guestbook.
Sorry, I got excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member