DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chronicle
Posted: Monday, Feb. 15, 2010 - 4:15 p.m. PST

Investigation into Orondo girl’s death continues

Deputies and FBI agents went door to door (Feb. 15) asking citizens for any tips information which may lead to information about the girl’s death,” Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal said.

Gjesdal said officers would act quickly if circumstances warrant, but otherwise “we will be moving at a measured and deliberate pace, which may seem slow to citizens who are understandably anxious about this incident.”

There is no evidence the death is part of a wider criminal endeavor, he said.
“We ask that our citizens remain calm but vigilant, - snipped

http://www.omakchronicle.com/nws/n100215c.shtml

IMO....there are several factors in this case that may indicate that a girl/girls were involved. The body and the car were left in "nice" places that other girls would feel safe in accessing after dark. The body was found fully clothed. The shoes may have been missing....since the reports said her FEET were in the water, not her shoes were in the water. Boys would most likely not take a pair of black boots....girls might. Girls would know her beauty school schedule and not look out of place hanging around that area. Other girls also might know that she routinely went for coffee after class or during her breaks. This is all just my speculation, NO links or confirmation, of course.

I had thought of this angle too, as we've seen it happen before. However a few things make me think differently.

The reports that the crime and/or the perp was "monstrous". The most horrible of murders on young women usually have a sexual aspect or motivation to them.

The texts she exchanged with her BF. Reports say she texted up to 200 times a day. I can't see their communication being limited to just a "Hey". They texted, and then what? I think a phone conversation, maybe leading to plans for the afternoon.

Most of these revenge type killings that involve other girls are planned out. {ETA- the planning is often how they get caught.} Maybe planned for just a beating that leads to more. Mackenzie didn't detail any plans for the afternoon to anyone. If she was going out with the girls I would think it would have been talked about to someone.

I suppose it is possible though, we have seen it before.

I think City of Wenatchee has cameras at the west end of Sellar Bridge, and I know from reliable sources that the PUD has been contacted regarding their surveillance cameras at sites in the area of Squilchuck and Methow Rd. If the person was counting on no surveillance, coming back into Wenatchee was a bold move, considering all of the other places to put the vehicle that are closer and far more remote, such as Palisades, the Plateaus and Mesas surrounding the Palisades Valley, Rock Island Grade, and the Sunrise area.

Yes, but if this is a fledgling or panicked criminal they may have just thought of the basics like the most obvious traffic cams and the cell.

I also thought that there would be so many better places to dump a car on the way back from the Bar, like the Palisades or even Bluegrade (I think that's the same as Rock Island Grade? Anyway, the canyon that is right before the dam) which is much closer to Wenatchee proper. That's what makes me think that assuming the car was dumped after the crime that the perp lives within walking distance from Pitcher, and was just desperate to get home and cleaned up with some sort of half *advertiser censored* alibi.

The whole thing is baffling and so sad.

ETA- Yes, there would be cams at the newest substation on Methow, assuming he drove that way. I usually do; it's scenic. Not sure where else, but it's prudent to recognize that there is surveillance nearly everywhere now!

KOMO News Feb 15, 2010 4:41 PM PST

Search on for Wenatchee teen's killer

Investigators have said they found some evidence at the scene; however, they said none of it points to a specific person. They are still interviewing friends and relatives.

Items were also taken from a home that sits just 30 yards away from Cowell's body, but the Chelan County sheriff would not categorize those items as evidence.

But investigators hope it will give them a few new clues to at least narrow down their search for a killer.

"We don't know where she was killed. We are hoping the autopsy and the crime scene investigation at the hospital tomorrow will lead us to some conclusions on that," said Gjesdal. - snipped

http://www.komonews.com/news/84417422.html

The Chronicle
Posted: Monday, Feb. 15, 2010 - 4:15 p.m. PST

Investigation into Orondo girl’s death continues

Deputies and FBI agents went door to door (Feb. 15) asking citizens for any tips information which may lead to information about the girl’s death,” Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal said.

Gjesdal said officers would act quickly if circumstances warrant, but otherwise “we will be moving at a measured and deliberate pace, which may seem slow to citizens who are understandably anxious about this incident.”

There is no evidence the death is part of a wider criminal endeavor, he said.
“We ask that our citizens remain calm but vigilant, - snipped

http://www.omakchronicle.com/nws/n100215c.shtml

Thanks so much for this update, nothing in the WenWorld on these statements yet.

This is the kind of statement that makes me think that they have a line on a suspect. What makes an investigation go from frantic and confused to "measured and deliberate" is usually a good lead, plus it seems like they are trying to soothe the fear of the community now.

KOMO News Feb 15, 2010 4:41 PM PST

Search on for Wenatchee teen's killer

Investigators have said they found some evidence at the scene; however, they said none of it points to a specific person. They are still interviewing friends and relatives.

Items were also taken from a home that sits just 30 yards away from Cowell's body, but the Chelan County sheriff would not categorize those items as evidence.

But investigators hope it will give them a few new clues to at least narrow down their search for a killer.

"We don't know where she was killed. We are hoping the autopsy and the crime scene investigation at the hospital tomorrow will lead us to some conclusions on that," said Gjesdal. - snipped

http://www.komonews.com/news/84417422.html

Huh, wow. Wonder what the items were and why the agent didn't report a theft or break-in before discovering the body?

ETA- actually it sounds like they are talking about potential evidenciary items, not items that were stolen. Duh. Still, it may point to the inside of the house being accessed.

It does sound as if the inside of the house was accessed. There was an early article also, iirc, that made it sound like the house was entered.

If the car was dumped after the crime, and the crime was monsterous, how did the perp clean up? Was the shower accessed in this empty house?

Also, not knowing where Mackenzie was killed is interesting. Was it in the canyon? In the house? In the yard? or somewhere in between all those places?

Salem

Well, the body was found almost a week after she went missing. There were 2 hours between the time she left school to the time the cell phone left the grid, and another 2 hours before the care was located.

Just got word from someone I know who works at one of the gun stores in town: mace, tazers, ammo, etc. are in explosive demand.

Predictable Wenatchee, now we'll have a city of 100,000 people packing everything from stun guns and mace to small fire arms.

Well, the body was found almost a week after she went missing. There were 2 hours between the time she left school to the time the cell phone left the grid, and another 2 hours before the care was located.

Just got word from someone I know who works at one of the gun stores in town: mace, tazers, ammo, etc. are in explosive demand.

Predictable Wenatchee, now we'll have a city of 100,000 people packing everything from stun guns and mace to small fire arms.

Yeah, this same thing happened after the Huffman murders. WenWorld ran a big article about how gun sales were through the roof. It was a crazy time and all of this reminds me so much of it.

I have been following this thread from the start. I believe Girlfawkes mentioned the Editred site and certain information pertaining to that site.So, I believe there is an investigator in all of us, so I followed my investigated side and I checked the site out. Along with the other clues in the thread I found the person she mentioned. I also found his writings intriguing.
I took the time to print each one and revisit the clues that everyone knows from the media... and this is what Ive found in HIS writings.

Well, the body was found almost a week after she went missing.

smb

In that time (almost a week) did her parents ever beg for her return? Were they ever seen on camera at all? I don't believe so & wonder why not :waitasec:

Sally Showman | KXLY4 Reporter
Updated: 5:59 pm PST February 15, 2010

Deputies, FBI work together to find Mackenzie's killer

Sheriff deputies say they believe Mackenzie was murdered near where her body was found so on Monday a dive team headed into the river and several nearby ponds hoping to turn up evidence in her murder. Investigators also say they took what could be evidence from inside a nearby empty house.

On Tuesday a state forensic team will arrive to perform an autopsy on Mackenzie, hoping to turn up latent finger prints, hair or any other clues as to who killed her.

In the meantime behavioral psychologists with the FBI are working to put together a profile of her potential killer.

Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal says there’s no evidence of a wider criminal endeavor but suggested that people remain calm, aware of their surroundings. - snipped

http://www.kxly.com/news/22574570/detail.html

smb

In that time (almost a week) did her parents ever beg for her return? Were they ever seen on camera at all? I don't believe so & wonder why not :waitasec:

I don't think theres anything wrong with that at all. Their daughter went missing, and being in front of the cameras is not what everyone would want to do. I know personally I would stay out from in front of the cameras unless the police thought it would be a good thing.

Some people just don't want to become a media spectacle.

Comprehensive timeline, for prospective:

Tuesday, February 9:
3:30 PM - Mackenzie leaves Wenatchee Academy of Hair Design
- Mackenzie sends a text message to boyfriend; "Hey"
5:42 PM - Unidentified cell phone tower recieves last signal ping
10:00 PM - Vehicle found in Hurd Ranch of Pitcher Canyon Road

Saturday, February 13
12:45 PM - Body found at Crescent Bar/Trinidad area near Douglas County/Grant County Line

Comprehensive timeline, for prospective:

Tuesday, February 9:
3:30 PM - Mackenzie leaves Wenatchee Academy of Hair Design
- Mackenzie sends a text message to boyfriend; "Hey"
5:42 PM - Unidentified cell phone tower recieves last signal ping
10:00 PM - Vehicle found in Hurd Ranch of Pitcher Canyon Road

Saturday, February 13
12:45 PM - Body found at Crescent Bar/Trinidad area near Douglas County/Grant County Line

Thanks for the timeline, riderofthestorm.

I think I heard (back at the beginning of the investigation) that the text to her boyfriend was sent at around 4pm..

I have been following this thread from the start. I believe Girlfawkes mentioned the Editred site and certain information pertaining to that site.So, I believe there is an investigator in all of us, so I followed my investigated side and I checked the site out. Along with the other clues in the thread I found the person she mentioned. I also found his writings intriguing.
I took the time to print each one and revisit the clues that everyone knows from the media... and this is what Ive found in HIS writings.

2-9-10 Mackenzie went missing, her car was found and HOURS have passed.
His first writing on 2-9-10 has these phrases......It's the fact she wont take me back... its seeing her with him...it's the site of those two I cant stand....now I gather each piece to find 3 missing.....this unsolved puzzle force feeds my reminiscing.......

SECOND posting 2.9.10 time after time I crawl inside to try and UNWIND this knot I tied....inserts the key to twist and hold, an empty vault, AN EMPTY HOME.....by HER along with all my other assets....this track is soon EXPIRED and I am RUNNING fastest....How BIG can a problem get, this one's PAST MASSIVE

THIRD posting 2.9.10 titled LOCKDOWN....one of the 4 corners you're scared to death....preheating the body soon to bake......

I will let you ponder those and look up the other 5 postings and make your own conclusions.

I'm looking through Editred myself, and the problem I'm noticing with the site is there is no reliable timestamping anywhere that I can see (I'm not logged in, so this may be a feature for registered users??).

I'm looking through Editred myself, and the problem I'm noticing with the site is there is no reliable timestamping anywhere that I can see (I'm not logged in, so this may be a feature for registered users??).

It is for registared users... then type in his username which has been posted on here, and read his post by date..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!