WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article has been updated today at 9:27 PM

Neighbors say the riverside property where the girl's body was found has been vacant for months. But they noticed some strange changes to the yard Saturday morning, the same day her body was found.

Gary and Judy Ovenell's home overlooks the crime scene along the Columbia River.
"Saturday morning Gary said, 'Look at the brodie marks down there. That's really unusual,'" said Judy Ovenell.

Although the property has been vacant, they say they noticed new tire tracks there Saturday morning.

"There was something I just grabbed onto, focused on it, because it was so strange, 'cause that place, anybody hadn't been to for so long," said Gary Ovenell.
Around noon the same day, a young female's body was found along the shore with her feet in the water. - snipped

http://www.king5.com/news/local/No-suspect-in-slaying-of-girl-at-Crescent-Bar-84393312.html

[bbm]

what's a brodie mark???

Theoretically you could commit libel, but in this case (keep in mind I'm not a lawyer, just a freelance journalist, anything I say after this should be taken as the mere rantings of a freelance journalist and not a trained law professional. Seek thy legal beagle's advice if at all concerned.) almost everyone here has done good to keep from stating "Person X should be a suspect" and stayed along the lines of "he was obviously an acquaintance with her and his writings are _________". Stating an opinion is usually free from libel/slander, especially if there was no malice behind the act.

So, in short, if you post poems in public and someone says "Hey that's kind a creepy considering he's connected online with a deceased girl" would be a stretch. Stating that person X killed person y because their poetry is creepy could be a slam dunk and probably not advised.

I don't have FB and refuse to get one, so I can't search there. I'm old-fashioned in that I like my privacy. This is only the second message board that I've ever registered for or written to. And, yes, I still write checks at the grocery store, instead of using a debit card.

I'm always fussing at my teen about being careful what she puts out there because once it's out there, it's out there. She can't take it back.

I'm wondering if anyone knows about the laws concerning what someone can or cannot post about what is out there in the public internet domain? For example, if someone uploads their writing to a website for the public to see and comment on, can a person be held liable for sharing their opinion on these writings?

This doesn't really have anything to do with this case, per se. Just wondering.

Also, would someone be so kind as to tell me the difference between "Post Reply' and "Quick Reply?" Thanks.

In almost every case it falls under the "fair use" doctrine when it's being quoted for purposes of satire, commentary and criticism. Generally this refers to using the material only in part. This is why when we quote from an article we only use part. Of course anyone can be sued for anything, so fair use is kind of subjective. Posting your opinion only is completely fair game. Otherwise movie and book critics would be bankrupt, LOL.

[bbm]

what's a brodie mark???

Where someone has driven on wet dirt/grass, leaving tire trails. Brodie implies they gunned the gas and the marks were deep and messy.

I've seen the ORV trails and I really don't think that this property could be easily reached by those. The hillside is very steep and there is no direct way to get to the property except by road.

I found another J. connection to Mackenzie - connected to photography - modeling photos/videos

initials JL - lives in Wenatchee - has MS

can't actually see his photos/videos unless you friend request him

quoting myself to add:

I found this person through google and then discovered afterwards that he is fb friends with people connected to Mac (can't exactly recall who now)

Where someone has driven on wet dirt/grass, leaving tire trails. Brodie implies they gunned the gas and the marks were deep and messy.

I've seen the ORV trails and I really don't think that this property could be easily reached by those. The hillside is very steep and there is no direct way to get to the property except by road.

Yah, you may be right. I wonder if any neighbors of this property have kids with expensive ORV's they were just itching to take out that day? In any case, I'm sure they are asking to find out.

ok, so could 'brodie' marks refer to ATV tracks? just a thought I had ...

oops, what's an ORV? is that an ATV??

I don't think theres anything wrong with that at all. Their daughter went missing, and being in front of the cameras is not what everyone would want to do. I know personally I would stay out from in front of the cameras unless the police thought it would be a good thing.

Some people just don't want to become a media spectacle.

I get that but today most parents will get their face out there for the sole purpose of keeping their missing child's case in the media..The police, I believe, encourage this cos it helps to bring in tips..I'm sure most parents don't want to do it but if it helps find their child (dead or alive) how can they not?

Yes. Off Road Vehicle or All Terrain Vehicle are very similar.

ok, so you said the trails don't look easily accessible but what if this person suggested to Mac that they go riding there and that's why she parked her car, only took her phone/debit card (debit card doesn't make much sense unless she thought they might be stopping at a store or something for a drink?) b/c she didn't want to carry her purse on the ATV - then that would account for the one set of footprints (hers) leading away and stopping at the road (where she got on the ATV or even motorbike)

I know that when I go riding at my brothers, I always take a phone in case I wreck in the woods and people have been known to take off from my brother's house with only money/debit card to go to the store

I get that but today most parents will get their face out there for the sole purpose of keeping their missing child's case in the media..The police, I believe, encourage this cos it helps to bring in tips..I'm sure most parents don't want to do it but if it helps find their child (dead or alive) how can they not?

I know that her mom said on FB that she's a very private person
she had to ask for friends to put family up and said it's very hard for her (to ask)

I don't think she would have gone with someone ATV/ORV riding. She's in beauty school so it leads me to believe she's a girls-girl, and she certainly looked more effeminate than the female ATV/ORV riders around here.

Besides I would gander if that was the case she would have changed into her street clothes rather than muddying up her school uniform.

I don't think she would have gone with someone ATV/ORV riding. She's in beauty school so it leads me to believe she's a girls-girl, and she certainly looked more effeminate than the female ATV/ORV riders around here.

Besides I would gander if that was the case she would have changed into her street clothes rather than muddying up her school uniform.

oh lol around here girly girls do it too (former make-up artiste myself)

but perhaps it was a spur of the moment thing ... there were some reports (and her aunt on FB) said that she met someone outside of beauty school

ETA: just throwing ideas out there - trying to brainstorm ...

oh lol around here girly girls do it too (former make-up artiste myself)

but perhaps it was a spur of the moment thing ... there were some reports (and her aunt on FB) said that she met someone outside of beauty school

Anything seems possible at this point!

One thing, unless they were local to the Bar they would have had to transport ORV's in the back of a truck, they couldn't ride there from Wenatchee. I would think a truck with ORV's at that house would have been noticed.

hey I just found the joaquin connection!!!

ok, search um user name 'mondo' on MS - location Brewster, WA age 26

his status update says "R.I.P. Mckenzie...im sorry joaqin..." (& a bit more with profanity)

btw mondo is just a friend of J's ...

um I think I forgot to say how I got there ... Joaquin's last initial is V. and I found him through a simple MS search that I think someone else also posted about ... he is the one whose mood is listed as sad and his MS is private - however googling him produces lots more

um I think I forgot to say how I got there ... Joaquin's last initial is V. and I found him through a simple MS search that I think someone else also posted about ... he is the one whose mood is listed as sad and his MS is private - however googling him produces lots more

Super good find, WTG. I will try and look into this more tonight!

BTW, Brewster is fairly far north, upriver.

Also wondering how this guy is friends with J, he's quite a bit older and in another city?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Featherock