WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your observation. But records show that it rained that Monday...and it rained Wednesday on. Why spend money on a car wash?

Granted, it rained only trace amounts, but that could be the explaination for the water trace marking...not car wash. The carwash scenario to date is heresay from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.

I hope and pray as much as anyone here that this leads to a credible witness, description of a suspect, and more pieces of the puzzle. But the responses I am hearing are suspect. :snooty:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/wa/wenatchee/98801/forecast-month.asp?mnyr=2-01-2010&view=table

We delved into this theory regarding the car wash several threads ago. IIRC, we ended up dismissing. Can anyone remember why?

I understand your observation. But records show that it rained that Monday...and it rained Wednesday on. Why spend money on a car wash?

Granted, it rained only trace amounts, but that could be the explaination for the water trace marking...not car wash. The carwash scenario to date is heresay from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.

I hope and pray as much as anyone here that this leads to a credible witness, description of a suspect, and more pieces of the puzzle. But the responses I am hearing are suspect. :snooty:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/wa/wenatchee/98801/forecast-month.asp?mnyr=2-01-2010&view=table

I don't live in the Wenatchee area, but I am from SE WA, aka "the dry side of the mountains." If the climate of Wenatchee is similar to here, it may rain or sprinkle in one area, but just a short ways away it will be dry. I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because it says it rained, doesn't mean it rained everywhere in that area.

ETA - Around these parts, it rarely rains hard enough to actually wash off the car. When it does rain, the car is dirtier after it rained since it rained just enough to bring the dust out of the air onto the car. :waitasec:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangling

bbm

Warning - what follows is somewhat graphic:

I expect an initial attack of violent blunt force to the head is of with intent to kill, with at minimum a result that renders a victim to lesser states of awareness and consciousness. The actual result is dependent upon the amount of force and location of strike(s).

If one of the rumored instruments (hammer or bbbat) was used we might expect the force to be quite significant.

A hammer is of solid metal or mallet design, with its work-mass concentrated in the head piece. Mass acceleration and velocity energies are concentrated to within a small area = concentrated, deep-affective damage at contact point.

A baseball bat might be solid wood, or hollow or foam-filled aluminum. It's mass is more evenly distributed in its longer-than-a-hammer length, and typically is lesser than a hammers at any given point but strike force velocity might be greater, also due to its longer-than-a-hammer length = greater land-area, broad-affective damage at contact point.

Either instrument is effective at incapacitating a victim to either death or at least to lesser states of awareness and consciousness.

Manual strangulation (as relevent to this case as per autopsy report) is easier to initiate after having introduced blunt force trauma but might still be difficult to complete to death, but certainly is not impossible - I expect it depends on the unsub's adrenaline level and focused-intent.

• If strangulation involves only blood-flow restriction (to the brain) the victim might fight back with lesser intensity due to reduced oxygenated blood in the brain in addition to the blunt force trauma.
  • If strangulation includes a choking component (I *assume* this to be applicable in this case due to the level of 'violence' implied by the autopsy) a self-preservation fight-back occurs when the victim's breathing becomes interrupted, making it more difficult to maintain pressure, etc., but in this case there also is a blunt force trauma component so we might expect at least slighty-less fight-back struggle.
If MC was still alive after the BFT and strangulation, bleed-out volume still could be minimal depending upon if the stab weapon was left in place until after expiration and / or whether or not an artery was in-path.

The only 'comfort' in this case is that the initial-violence-to-expiration time was 'brief' according to the autopsy - we might expect MC did not suffer an agony.

I am reluctant to submit this post .. but sleuthing such a case includes also working through the violence aspects. My apology to all.

ChuckM, I think you and I are at 99% agreement on this, and 100% as to the order the injuries were inflicted.

But... in the above you wrote: "If MC was still alive after the BFT and strangulation..." This can't be an "IF" statement unless you believe the medical examiner got it wrong, as the stab wound to the neck would not have been listed as a COD if it happened after death. (Unless we both have the order wrong and the stab wound happened first or second in the order...)

From the wikipedia quote you used I'll pull this sentence:
"The reported time from application to unconsciousness varies from 7-14 seconds if effectively applied [9] to one minute in other cases, with death occurring minutes after unconsciousness."
BBM

Although I believe it is likely she was unconscious from the blunt force trauma, (as the suspect would have continued to apply the strike(s) until MC was no longer a danger to fight back), if the head wound(s) didn't cause a complete loss of consciousness, the strangulation should have within less than a minute. But remember, this is manual strangulation, so the suspect must continue to apply pressure(1) for minutes with an 'S'. Just one full minute of applying pressure(1) would feel like a long time - try squeezing something(1) and watching a clock tick-off a minute. I think this was when the murderer did the stab wound to the neck.

I also believe there was lots of blood from this wound as the murderer would most likely have been aiming for the carotid artery - plus, since it was listed as part of the COD the heart would have been beating when the stab was applied. (2)

footnote:
(1) "Manual strangulation" doesn't necessarily mean using bare hands, but without any rumors as of yet to an instrument used for this act, I'm leaning towards bare hands - well, not exactly bare, as I also believe the killer had put gloves on.

(2) From the slight amount of information we have been given in the COD news articles, I believe it is uncertain about the number of neck wounds. If there were multiply attempts at hitting the carotid artery, only the stab which severed the artery might get listed as part of a COD report. Also, the rumored tool used looks like it would make a stab/slash type wound, covering enough area to likely hit the artery on the first try??? Still an unknown for me.

This is SPECULATION and MOO. Many other scenarios are possible, likely even probable based on your knowledge and opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangling

bbm

Warning - what follows is somewhat graphic:

. . . . RESPECTFULLY OMITTED . . . .

Manual strangulation (as relevent to this case as per autopsy report) is easier to initiate after having introduced blunt force trauma but might still be difficult to complete to death, but certainly is not impossible - I expect it depends on the unsub's adrenaline level and focused-intent.

• If strangulation involves only blood-flow restriction (to the brain) the victim might fight back with lesser intensity due to reduced oxygenated blood in the brain in addition to the blunt force trauma.
  • If strangulation includes a choking component (I *assume* this to be applicable in this case due to the level of 'violence' implied by the autopsy) a self-preservation fight-back occurs when the victim's breathing becomes interrupted, making it more difficult to maintain pressure, etc., but in this case there also is a blunt force trauma component so we might expect at least slighty-less fight-back struggle.
If MC was still alive after the BFT and strangulation, bleed-out volume still could be minimal depending upon if the stab weapon was left in place until after expiration and / or whether or not an artery was in-path.

The only 'comfort' in this case is that the initial-violence-to-expiration time was 'brief' according to the autopsy - we might expect MC did not suffer an agony.

The following information is from a former forensic pathologist of Douglas County:

* The front neck muscles in humans are large and extremely strong.

* The blood vessels that return blood from the head and brain are not protected by the front neck muscles.

* The larynx and the blood vessels that bring blood to the head and brain are beneath the big front neck muscles. Therefore, if the victim is conscious and actively resisting his/her attacker, the large front neck muscles are being flexed and provide complete protection from restriction via manual strangulation (but not ligature strangulation).

CONCLUSION: The result of manual strangulation depends largely upon whether the victim is actively resisting his/her attacker.

* If the victim was resisting, then only the return blood flow from the head and brain will be cut-off. This means that oxygen is still getting to the brain for quite a while (i.e., up to several minutes). Eventually, the pressure in the “return blood flow vessels” will build up too much and cause unconsciousness. When the pressure in the “return blood flow vessels” build up enough, the small blood vessels in the eyes burst. The burst blood vessels in the eyes can be seen and this is called Ptechia.

Specificity doesn’t equal veracity—especially when it’s a “third party source” like the media. I have first party source(s) who said "the stream." LE’s press release of February 13 stated “the water.” Based upon my personal knowledge of the CB property, it makes little sense for MC’s feet to have been in the river.

I did see an article, I believe it was "the Examiner", reported just a few days after MC was found and specifically stated that MC was placed with her feet in a "stream" that flowed into the river.

The other press releases made general statements that MC was lying on edge of the shore with her feet in the water (implying river).

ETA: Can't find it but AssociatedContent touched on it: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2702757/body_found_possibly_mackenzie_cowell.html?cat=17

The following information is from a former forensic pathologist of Douglas County:

* The front neck muscles in humans are large and extremely strong.

* The blood vessels that return blood from the head and brain are not protected by the front neck muscles.

* The larynx and the blood vessels that bring blood to the head and brain are beneath the big front neck muscles. Therefore, if the victim is conscious and actively resisting his/her attacker, the large front neck muscles are being flexed and provide complete protection from restriction via manual strangulation (but not ligature strangulation).

CONCLUSION: The result of manual strangulation depends largely upon whether the victim is actively resisting his/her attacker.

* If the victim was resisting, then only the return blood flow from the head and brain will be cut-off. This means that oxygen is still getting to the brain for quite a while (i.e., up to several minutes). Eventually, the pressure in the “return blood flow vessels” will build up too much and cause unconsciousness. When the pressure in the “return blood flow vessels” build up enough, the small blood vessels in the eyes burst. The burst blood vessels in the eyes can be seen and this is called Ptechia.

MC left the Hair Academy with a scarf around her neck. Are we certain of manual strangulation? speculation

I did see an article, I believe it was "the Examiner", reported just a few days after MC was found and specifically stated that MC was placed with her feet in a "stream" that flowed into the river.

The other press releases made general statements that MC was lying on edge of the shore with her feet in the water (implying river).

Yes, but we have eyewitness accounts from the folks that found her. The media has made several errors in their reporting of the facts. So, which one do we believe?

Accuweather: Wenatchee
Date High Low Precipitation
Fri 2/5/2010 46° 37° 0.01
Sat 2/6/2010 44° 37° trace
Sun 2/7/2010 46° 34° 0.00
Mon 2/8/2010 41° 37° trace
Tue 2/9/2010 47° 36° 0.00

IMO, those precipitation #s do not represent enough rainfall on the days previous to and on 02/09/2010 to have caused a consistent water volume needed to 'travel' around the perimeter of the spoiler to leak into under the seam at the weak-seal locations.

The spoiler-to-trunk-lid seal is not perfect all around, but appears to be sufficient along the front seam. The breach areas are to the rear-sides of the base.

I determined that by removing the spoiler on my 1997 (in 2000). There was an obvious 'flow' pattern that indicated where water entered and exited. The front seam was clean along the length, and showed no indication of infiltration along that edge.

Water has to be forced slightly uphill and sidewared to infiltrate into the breach areas. I have not yet located the pics of my '97 so I am including the pic of MC's car with the relevant areas marked with arrows / text:

Attachments

• GP_rear_water_entry_leak.png
    GP_rear_water_entry_leak.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
IMO, that's should be added to the 'speculative' timeline.

I believe that emphasizes the possibility of a second person in the car ... no where to place the purse so toss it to the back seat ... I assume a girl would not want to toss her purse to the passenger side floor if someone were sitting in that seat and would not want it to become 'dirtified' on a winter-seasoned floor mat.

Good point... taking that line of thinking fits in rather well with the RUMOR of someone with her at car wash -- MC moving her purse to back seat to allow the passenger a spot to sit up front.

What if the car wash was a way for the passenger to say "thank you" or payment for the ride the suspect had asked for? MC, being kind, wouldn't take cash, but the passenger wanted to do something to repay her for the ride. "Let me at least pay for a car wash for this dirty beast."

If this was the case, and this passenger/suspect has been questioned and admitted to being with her at the car wash, there is no reason for LE to jump all over questioning the car wash attendants because they would have already had this knowledge.

Specificity doesn’t equal veracity—especially when it’s a “third party source” like the media. I have first party source(s) who said "the stream." LE’s press release of February 13 stated “the water.” Based upon my personal knowledge of the CB property, it makes little sense for MC’s feet to have been in the river.

Well, I'm going to go with the media, which talked directly to LE, and with the photos, which show LE standing over the site that Mackenzie was found, which is on the river. Every photo or video that I've seen always focuses on the same spot on the river, by the two trees on the bank. The investigator pathway of double-tape even goes out into the river a foot or two to keep responders from walking through the place that her body was found. Simple Occam's Razor.

If you consider the media a "third-party source," then you have to discount everything that the media has reported. In my profession, newspaper articles, television news footage, and radio transcripts are considered primary sources.

MC left the Hair Academy with a scarf around her neck. Are we certain of manual strangulation? speculation

If we believe the COD report we are certain of manual strangulation and that the scarf was not used for strangulation, (IMO the difference would be evident enough that even a bad medical examiner could tell the difference).

But that does leave us to SPECULATE over when/who removed scarf. Does MC take off her scarf while driving? After car warms up... seems likely enough. Otherwise she takes it off herself when entering suspects houses or other warm dwelling. Of course, suspect could have taken it off after blunt force trauma caused her to lose consciousness.

Sidenote: Do we know if LE is still looking for the scarf? Maybe it was one of the items left in the car up PC?

Accuweather: Wenatchee
Date High Low Precipitation
Fri 2/5/2010 46° 37° 0.01
Sat 2/6/2010 44° 37° trace
Sun 2/7/2010 46° 34° 0.00
Mon 2/8/2010 41° 37° trace
Tue 2/9/2010 47° 36° 0.00

IMO, those precipitation #s do not represent enough rainfall on the days previous to and on 02/09/2010 to have caused a consistent water volume needed to 'travel' around the perimeter of the spoiler to leak into under the seam at the weak-seal locations.

The spoiler-to-trunk-lid seal is not perfect all around, but appears to be sufficient along the front seam. The breach areas are to the rear-sides of the base.

I determined that by removing the spoiler on my 1997 (in 2000). There was an obvious 'flow' pattern that indicated where water entered and exited. The front seam was clean along the length, and showed no indication of infiltration along that edge.

Water has to be forced slightly uphill and sidewared to infiltrate into the breach areas. I have not yet located the pics of my '97 so I am including the pic of MC's car with the relevant areas marked with arrows / text:

I DO believe MC washed her car, and appreciate you pointing out the flow patterns where water has obviously traveled down from the spoiler on MC's car. The top and front of the car are very clean, and the spatter on the back looks identical to times I have washed my car when I thought roads were dry, etc....only to travel home and hit either a slight sprinkling enough to spray up sludge off the road, or driven through an area that was sprayed with de-icer. I heard the car wash rumor very early on, from the best friend of an LE officer. I find the source credible.

Great observation! It would be a very convenient item to use for that purpose, if she had it on when she came into contact with the perp.

If we believe the COD report we are certain of manual strangulation and that the scarf was not used for strangulation, (IMO the difference would be evident enough that even a bad medical examiner could tell the difference).

But that does leave us to SPECULATE over when/who removed scarf. Does MC take off her scarf while driving? After car warms up... seems likely enough. Otherwise she takes it off herself when entering suspects houses or other warm dwelling. Of course, suspect could have taken it off after blunt force trauma caused her to lose consciousness.

Sidenote: Do we know if LE is still looking for the scarf? Maybe it was one of the items left in the car up PC?

LE did say that MC was wearing the same clothes she had on when she left the Hair Academy. If her scarf was fitted under the collar of her coat, she likely left it there and it would come off when she took her coat off and be on when she put her coat on. It looked to me like it was loose and hanging from her collar, vs being thrown over her shoulder on either side or tied loosely around her neck, when watching the parking lot video. speculation tho.

This would be a good question to ask JV or one of her friends from the hair academy....whether he scarf was part of her coat ensemble or if she put it on after she had her coat on.

Yes, it is rumored JF was not at the memorial.
Did he attend the candle lighting on Friday night?

Hi all,
This is my first time posting, but I have been following this site for weeks now. I am impressed by all of your posts! With that being said, I'd like to answer Nancee Drue...

I have a very good friend that attended the candle lighting vigil on Friday night and he said that JF was there. Infact, he spoke to him. My friend is in the construction business so he knows JF. He stated that JF acted very strange and rather distracted during their conversation. They didn't speak long, but he thought it was strange how distracted JF acted. Hope this helps.

Keep up the good work everyone!

There are no streams at the CB house, just the Columbia River.
Google Earth map.
CB.jpg

LE did say that MC was wearing the same clothes she had on when she left the Hair Academy.

I still wonder if she was wearing other clothing. And...I still wonder what became of that burt suitcase, of burnt clothing, found on the side of the road, in Chelan County?

It was never reported that that burnt suitcase, found on the road side, belonged to anyone, anywhere. So, I wonder if it could have had some of the crime scene clothing in it...all burnt up?

The above is fact about the Sheriff picking up a burnt suitcase of burnt clothing.

It is not fact nor rumor...just a guess; a theory...about the possibility of the suitcase being related to this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmayole