WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point... taking that line of thinking fits in rather well with the RUMOR of someone with her at car wash -- MC moving her purse to back seat to allow the passenger a spot to sit up front.

What if the car wash was a way for the passenger to say "thank you" or payment for the ride the suspect had asked for? MC, being kind, wouldn't take cash, but the passenger wanted to do something to repay her for the ride. "Let me at least pay for a car wash for this dirty beast."

If this was the case, and this passenger/suspect has been questioned and admitted to being with her at the car wash, there is no reason for LE to jump all over questioning the car wash attendants because they would have already had this knowledge.

It just occurred to me (and I got a chill thinking about it!) that the perp could have talked her into going to the car wash knowing that later he/she would need to wipe off fingerprints and it wouldn't be as obvious on a clean car.

Not wanting to :eek:ther_beatingA_Dead but I don't put my purse in the back seat, when I have a passenger in the front I put my purse between me and the door. There is the odd time I have had to put my purse in the back and it would be on the floor especially if I was leaving my car, on the floor tucked under the seat as much as possible.

Maybe I missed the answer to JF being at the candlelight service or memorial. If so please disreguard question, but could Melissa ask JV if JF was at either one since he was around the family more or he could ask RC if he (JV) was to distraught to notice?

Maybe I missed the answer to JF being at the candlelight service or memorial. If so please disreguard question, but could Melissa ask JV if JF was at either one since he was around the family more or he could ask RC if he (JV) was to distraught to notice?

Yeah, it has been posted by 2 people that were at the candlelight vigil that JF was infact there standing behind WC.

Well, I'm going to go with the media, which talked directly to LE, and with the photos, which show LE standing over the site that Mackenzie was found, which is on the river. Every photo or video that I've seen always focuses on the same spot on the river, by the two trees on the bank. The investigator pathway of double-tape even goes out into the river a foot or two to keep responders from walking through the place that her body was found. Simple Occam's Razor.

If you consider the media a "third-party source," then you have to discount everything that the media has reported. In my profession, newspaper articles, television news footage, and radio transcripts are considered primary sources.

Well, I'm going with Del Rio. I tend to trust a total stranger more than LE right now.

ChuckM, I think you and I are at 99% agreement on this, and 100% as to the order the injuries were inflicted.

But... in the above you wrote: "If MC was still alive after the BFT and strangulation..." This can't be an "IF" statement unless you believe the medical examiner got it wrong, as the stab wound to the neck would not have been listed as a COD if it happened after death. (Unless we both have the order wrong and the stab wound happened first or second in the order...)

From the wikipedia quote you used I'll pull this sentence:

BBM

Although I believe it is likely she was unconscious from the blunt force trauma, (as the suspect would have continued to apply the strike(s) until MC was no longer a danger to fight back), if the head wound(s) didn't cause a complete loss of consciousness, the strangulation should have within less than a minute. But remember, this is manual strangulation, so the suspect must continue to apply pressure(1) for minutes with an 'S'. Just one full minute of applying pressure(1) would feel like a long time - try squeezing something(1) and watching a clock tick-off a minute. I think this was when the murderer did the stab wound to the neck.

I also believe there was lots of blood from this wound as the murderer would most likely have been aiming for the carotid artery - plus, since it was listed as part of the COD the heart would have been beating when the stab was applied. (2)

footnote:
(1) "Manual strangulation" doesn't necessarily mean using bare hands, but without any rumors as of yet to an instrument used for this act, I'm leaning towards bare hands - well, not exactly bare, as I also believe the killer had put gloves on.

(2) From the slight amount of information we have been given in the COD news articles, I believe it is uncertain about the number of neck wounds. If there were multiply attempts at hitting the carotid artery, only the stab which severed the artery might get listed as part of a COD report. Also, the rumored tool used looks like it would make a stab/slash type wound, covering enough area to likely hit the artery on the first try??? Still an unknown for me.

This is SPECULATION and MOO. Many other scenarios are possible, likely even probable based on your knowledge and opinion.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/mar/12/teen-was-stabbed-strangled/

Mackenzie Cowell died from “manual strangulation and stab wound to the neck,” according to the death certificate signed after her autopsy.

Does that imply death would not have been considered imminent (in this case) if only one or the other attack method was employeed? No, I suspect that it means either attack injury could have caused death.

“Blunt impact to the head” also significantly contributed to her death, the certificate said. It notes that the time interval between the homicidal violence and death was “brief.”

I read that as the impact caused a hematoma condition, based on there being no mention of 'fracture', and that it might not have resulted in immediate death.

http://classic.muhealth.org/neuromed/epidural.shtml

The death certificate does not list a date of death but states that her body was found Feb. 13.

The death certificate provides no more details about Cowell’s death.

'Homicidal violence' means there were multiple injuries, any of which alone could have caused death.

'Brief' means one or more injuries caused death within a short time after initial infliction.

I am not sure how to interpret that no date/time of death was indicated on the autopsy except that perhaps it was purposefully left off pending future state of the investigation and / or it simply was indeterminate based on body condition alone?

I see the missing TOD as the most likely reason LE did not want to release the autopsy report ... the ME did not / was unable to determine TOD, which might affect the prosecution case if this goes to trial.

Yeah, it has been posted by 2 people that were at the candlelight vigil that JF was infact there standing behind WC.
And if I recall those two people said he was acting different. Maybe that is the reason he wasn't at the memorial. Feeling Guilty about something perhaps?

I still wonder if she was wearing other clothing. And...I still wonder what became of that burt suitcase, of burnt clothing, found on the side of the road, in Chelan County?

I think if she had been in different clothes, the folks that discovered her would have said something as the description of what she was wearing when she left the hair academy was very public. However; I also wonder about the half burned suitcase that was found and wonder why we have seen nary a word anywhere about it.

I have been gone for 4 days and I see soooo many new members viewing this thread. That is awesome! I just wanted to say that... :)

Not wanting to :eek:ther_beatingA_Dead but I don't put my purse in the back seat, when I have a passenger in the front I put my purse between me and the door. There is the odd time I have had to put my purse in the back and it would be on the floor especially if I was leaving my car, on the floor tucked under the seat as much as possible.

I never put my purse in the back seat either. However; teens typically do throw everything in the back seat! IF, the killer hit her and put her in the passenger seat of her car, which is what I suspect and that's why the seat is back all the way, I could see them throwing her purse in the back seat and just forgetting about it. I think the clean spots on the car below the passenger door tell a story. speculation

I just read several conflicting answers. Which one is right?

I think you may be confusing the candlelight vigil with her memorial. They were two separate events (for lack of better word). The vigil was held Friday Feb.12th and her memorial was held Thursday Feb. 25th. I hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiestews06