WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The spec house would be on the way to Leavenworth from the dock/salon/car wash... Or on the way from Leavenworth to CB, for that matter.

What do we know for sure about the spec home, and why is it relevant, again? I'd thought it was important, but then someone said maybe not so much, and now I'm a little confuzzled.

I said wasn't going to repeat everything I have heard. But, here's a rumor that i have read here, several times, so I will tell you I have heard it, too. Crime was done by gang. Some of you seem to think there must several suspects, so I thought I mention what I heard. Of course...it's possible, I guess.

The gang theory helps on many levels. But gangs generally don't go to any trouble to hid evidence, such as what was done to the body. They generally rely on the anonymity of being in the group to avoid getting caught. (It also generally fails them, hence why so many have criminal records).

In the Somer T. case the majority opinion (& investigation) here began with the perp was def a SO in the area (many) but then it eventually switched to her own family & ppl they know but most of all the mother &/or her bf..The investigation (court records, MS/FB, etc) of them was very similar to what's happening in this case except there were not very many locals 'who knew someone who knew something' or IOW a "source"..I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing..Sometimes I feel it leads more away from the truth then towards it..OTH! There is some valuable info we would not have otherwise but those are verifiable facts vs gossip (?) by ppl who live there..To be clear this is not a putdown of any local posters cos I'm confident they are all desperately trying to solve who killed this beautiful girl just like the rest of us.

Back to Somer..After all that family 'sleuthing' for months it turned out to be a SO afterall so I learned that going with your first instinct & most of all what makes the most sense to you is the best way to go..That's not to say there are NO exceptions & this case could turn out to be one..We have to wait & see but I do believe one day we'll find out what was 'fact' & what was 'fiction'..I truly hope that's very soon!

I have asked this before but it got buried-----and then there is a new question.

1. Does anyone know if the R brothers were in or out of jail on 2/9? ---could they be involved in the "group" activities of 2/9............

2. What happened to the post related to the group of cars up by Sunnyslope the other night that looked like a SWAT team advance? Did that lead to anything?

I don't think we can back date the chelan county court roster, but I THINK I can see that on 2-3-10, one of them failed to appear in court? (think) It says incourtnonappear (?) So if that is the case, how long until they knock on his door and pick him up? Would he still be out on 2-9-10?

from salon/dock/car wash area, is PC on the way to Leavenworth??

Totally opposite direction. Pitcher Canyon is on the south end of Wenatchee. Leavenworth is approx. 25 minutes N.W. of Wenatchee.

{"Yes, says Mike Harum, Chelan County sheriff. He wasn’t familiar with Websleuths but said investigators “read everyone of them” posted about Cowell on The Wenatchee World’s site"}

For some reason this comment made me less confident in local LE.

In the Somer T. case the majority opinion (& investigation) here began with the perp was def a SO in the area (many) but then it eventually switched to her own family & ppl they know but most of all the mother &/or her bf..The investigation (court records, MS/FB, etc) of them was very similar to what's happening in this case except there were not very many locals 'who knew someone who knew something' or IOW a "source"..I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing..Sometimes I feel it leads more away from the truth then towards it..OTH! There is some valuable info we would not have otherwise but those are verifiable facts vs gossip (?) by ppl who live there..To be clear this is not a putdown of any local posters cos I'm confident they are all desperately trying to solve who killed this beautiful girl just like the rest of us.

Back to Somer..After all that family 'sleuthing' for months it turned out to be a SO afterall so I learned that going with your first instinct & most of all what makes the most sense to you is the best way to go..That's not to say there are NO exceptions & this case could turn out to be one..We have to wait & see but I do believe one day we'll find out what was 'fact' & what was 'fiction'..I truly hope that's very soon!

BBM: I don't think the SO in Somer's case has been charged yet, he's just a POI?? So maybe he's not the right guy. Just saying...

I was just gonna write how I don't like the Leavenworth theory - nothing solid takes us that way. Then I realized how great this forum is -- You guys can go on the Leavenworth angle and if it leads somewhere I'll wander up there with you too.

Personally, I'm gonna think about the gang angle. Maybe one of them had worked down at the CB house as a laborer, (or whatever), so he knew about the out of the way location. The gang theory makes for better sense of the dumping of the car up Pitcher Canyon, (thinking MC had parked her car near one of their hang-outs in South Wenatchee). Driving her car from North Wenatchee/Eaglerock area, I would think insane. Who would want to be scene driving that car back through town? (Especially someone trying to cover their tracks so much as to do what they did to the body and the failed attempt to hid body at the CB location???)

Also, car up Pitcher Canyon, (if dumped by suspects), means it was previously parked at a location near suspects house or known hang-out. Pitcher Canyon is one of the quickest ways to move it out of a neighborhood in South Wenatchee with a reasonable assurance that someone won't see you when you get out of the car and hop in with your accomplice.

Still thinking on this one.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

wow---that 911 call from Pitcher Canyon on 2/12 is certainly suspicious. Is that address one of the WC listings?

BBM: I don't think the SO in Somer's case has been charged yet, he's just a POI?? So maybe he's not the right guy. Just saying...

I haven't followed the case in weeks so you may be right but everything LE has done to this point leads in that direction..I don't believe they want him back in FL (is he there yet?) just on child *advertiser censored* charges..Any info will be appreciated..TIA!

I STILL think the family should have come forward to take a polygraph. If they are innocent, and have nothing to hide, take a polygraph and get the focus where it need be. I ALSO think someone should have made a public statement, via the media. This case could have been blown WIDE open on CNN. (Nancy Grace, Jane Velez) Beautiful girl, strange circumstances, body located, multi crime scenes, surveillance, abandoned car, cell missing etc. This case could have been ALL over the country. SOMEONE wants to keep it quiet. Someone doesn't want the focus on them. Someone needs to remember this is about a 17 yr. old girl, and for once it's not all about her. Or is it??

The gang theory helps on many levels. But gangs generally don't go to any trouble to hid evidence, such as what was done to the body. They generally rely on the anonymity of being in the group to avoid getting caught. (It also generally fails them, hence why so many have criminal records).

Yes, I agree. They are more "out in the open" and don't hide bodies. That's more of a mafia thing......................naw.....................!

I STILL think the family should have come forward to take a polygraph. If they are innocent, and have nothing to hide, take a polygraph and get the focus where it need be. I ALSO think someone should have made a public statement, via the media. This case could have been blown WIDE open on CNN. (Nancy Grace, Jane Velez) Beautiful girl, strange circumstances, body located, multi crime scenes, surveillance, abandoned car, cell missing etc. This case could have been ALL over the country. SOMEONE wants to keep it quiet. Someone doesn't want the focus on them. Someone needs to remember this is about a 17 yr. old girl, and for once it's not all about her. Or is it??

I've never seen a case where the parents (mother!) refuse to get out in the media to help solve the case of their slain child..It's beyond bizarre not even one appearance & this case also needs a Kathy Belich since even the local media has basically remained silent too & don't seem to be doing ANY investigating on their own..What the heck is with that? :waitasec:

Some interesting snippets regarding child murders and media attention...
Perhaps the biggest determinant in getting the attention of law enforcement and reporters is whether there are signs of foul play that may put other children at risk. The skill of a victim's family at working with the media and mobilizing supporters also helps decide which cases capture public interest. Children from wealthy families tend to generate more attention, partly because the parents seem to be more adept at working with the media and building networks.
"Any evidence that confirms foul play will definitely bump up the visibility," said the director of the University of New Hampshire's Crimes Against Children Research Center. "If there's a homicidal maniac in the community and there's a threat to you and your kid, that always increases the fever about a case." (associated press 3-6-10)

It still bothers me that the Dad has been pretty absent here. No comments, no media. Plus, someone did post awhile back that the parenting plan between WC and RC only pertained to the sons. I just found that odd. However; it's nobody's business. Dad is grieving, I'm sure, but it all just points to LE already having a POI, regardless of what they tell the public.
None of this makes sense for a brutal murder and no arrest nearly a month later and requests for public help weeks after she disappeared. Any involvement in the searching by family members seems minimal. No public plea, etc. It does make ya wonder. Perhaps they just already know and are waiting for LE to make the arrest and the announcement and the rest of us are scratching our heads and going in circles! :banghead:

I wonder if MC being left at a house that WC had listed was some sort of message to WC.. :(

I spoke to someone I know who works at Lowes and they confirmed that MC did infact have a friend who works there. I was told that they were not romantically involved and that their parents were close friends.

I've never seen a case where the parents (mother!) refuse to get out in the media to help solve the case of their slain child..It's beyond bizarre not even one appearance & this case also needs a Kathy Belich since even the local media has basically remained silent too & don't seem to be doing ANY investigating on their own..What the heck is with that? :waitasec:

I think partly because everyone that works there lives here and they don't want to 1) harm the investigation or 2) cause undue suffering on an already grieving family or possibly dirty up reputations, etc. I did hear that they did obtain some very pertinent information through the freedom of information act but did not release it because of that. LE owes them, big time!

and no, I do not work for WW, but agree with their decision.

I'm in the process of building the timeline based on confirmed, sourced information. Still have a lot of info to add, but this is what I have thus far:

MACKENZIE COWELL TIMELINE
Confirmed Info Only - No Rumors​

09 February 2010 (Tuesday):

3:01 PM - Mackenzie leaves the Academy of Hair Design where she works, gets in her car, and drives away.

3:40 PM - Mackenzie's phone data indicate that she is at/near the Riverfront Park boat ramp. While there, she sent a message to her boyfriend ("hey") and received a message from her boyfriend ("hey").

5:42 PM - A cell tower bounces a signal off of MacKenzie's phone. This is the final activity on McKenzie's phone. Location has not been released by investigators.

8:02 PM - Residents report to Rivercom finding a 1997 red Pontiac Grand Prix in Squilchuck area, 2395 Pitcher Canyon Road, parked near a cattle gate. LE uses the registration info on the car to identify Reid Cowell as the owner, who confirms that his daughter has been out past curfew. One set of foot prints led away from the locked car toward road asphalt. "Somebody got the car there and parked it without anybody knowing about it.” Mackenzie's purse was inside the car, but her cell phone, debit card with $20 on it, and gas card were missing. Initially, Washington State Crime Lab processed the car, but found no indication of anything unusual, and computers at both parents' residences were checked with nothing unusual found. Later, local press says that some evidence has been discovered in the car and sent to the State Crime Lab.

11 February 2010 (Thursday):

FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment agents arrive Thursday afternoon to aid in the search for Mackenzie.

12 February 2010 (Friday):

Investigators fax warrants to Facebook, Myspace, and Verizon. A team of 10 detectives search the Pitcher Canyon area and interview and re-interviewing all of Mackenzie's friends and family. Mackenzie's mother and the mother's boyfriend are also being interviewed by the FBI.

13 February 2010 (Saturday):

Mackenzie's body is found near the Columbia River at 156 Crescent Bar Road just inside Douglas County by someone walking along the beach. She was fully clothed and her feet were in the water. The Chelan County Sheriff's spokesman said "It appears she was put there by someone....We've got to find this monster. Anybody who is willing to take a child and commit a crime with that child is a monster." Investigators find evidence of homicide at the scene and inside the vacant home. FBI profilers arrive late Saturday to assist with the investigation.

15 February 2010 (Monday):

A task force made up of local law enforcement and FBI is formed to investigate circumstances surrounding Mackenzie's death. Mackenzie's mother tells NWCN (see video) that she's been instructed by investigators not to discuss the investigation with media.

16 February 2010 (Tuesday):

An autopsy performed by Dr. Gina Fino and witnessed by Dr Steve Clem, Douglas County prosecutor and coroner, and a State Patrol Crime Laboratory’s forensics team confirms that the body is that of Mackenzie Cowell. The autopsy also revealed that her death was a homicide, but the cause of death has not yet been released. Autopsy results will not be released until the person responsible is identified and charged.

18 February 2010 (Thursday):

As law enforcement officials advise women to walk in pairs and be more aware of their surroundings, local gun stores report a spike in sales of tasers, mace, and handguns.

22 February 2010 (Monday):

1:36 AM - Someone at Mackenzie's mother's residence calls 911 to report "harassment/threat."

25 February 2010 (Thursday):

Memorial service is held for Mackenzie Cowell at Wenatchee Town Toyota Center. 1800 people attend. Mackenzie is remembered as "a bright, energetic girl who endured heartless teasing through much of her adolescence because of an underbite. She persevered, however, eventually becoming prom queen." Mackenzie's mother, maternal grandfather, father, father's fiance, two brothers, and boyfriend attend the memorial. Noticeably absent is Mackenzie's mother's boyfriend. Mackenzie's brother Trevor made the family's first statement to the media: "It's incredible. It meant the world to me because we all loved her. And that's what this all shows is how much everybody loves her."

01 March 2010 (Monday):

The Cowell Task Force believes that Mackenzie's phone is a key piece of evidence and asks the public to call the tip line if it is found. The phone is a maroon LG EnV2.

03 March 2010 (Wednesday):

A local task force continues to work full-time on the Mackenzie Cowell murder case. Chelan County has four deputies and two administrative assistants assigned to the task force. Douglas County has four detectives, Wenatchee Police has three officers and East Wenatchee police has one officer assigned to the case. The FBI, U.S. Marshal’s Office and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are assisting the Cowell Task Force.

05 March 2010 (Friday):

Local businesspeople unite and announce the creation of a new reward fund to help find Mackenzie's killer. The group, Wenatchee Valley Citizens Against Crime, has pledged $38000 to be added to the existing $7000 reward fund in the event that someone provides a tip that leads to a conviction of Mackenzie's murderer. “This case broke the camel’s back. For this one, we said, ‘Enough is enough. We want this valley to be a safe place.'"

CLICK HERE to see a map of points of interest in the Mackenzie Cowell investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaseyBee