WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how long before the analysis from the two labs is complete. I found this information at the following link - http://www.komonews.com/news/local/81938347.html

"Testing for DNA on average takes two months. Fingerprint exams take about 47 days. Microanalysis - looking at fibers, shoe prints and other evidence - can take about five months."...
and...
"Still, the backlog at the labs regularly delays investigations and charging decisions, Roe said.

Rather funny. Isn't this the state crime lab that was falsifying reports and analysis a few years back? Story here. Nevermind, that was in the year 2004. I'm sure they have policies against that kind of thing now... sigh...

Ok, I am of the understanding that the car was only driven a few yards into a dirt "driveway" but pavement was very close by. Police said footprints went to pavement and stopped, (we actually aren't told how far that is).

I quoted "driveway" because from google earth and pictures at WW of where they show vehicle left, it does not look to be the main "driveway" of the residence.

More likely a partially-paved access road, if I'm picturing it correctly?

If we are including an accomplice for moving the car up Pitcher Canyon in the theory, the accomplice could have helped carry body down towards river too. Therefor no drag marks, but no wheel-barrow needed either.

I was thinking late last night about the mechanics of moving a body and how difficult it would be. If there was an accomplice it would be a fairly simple matter, if not it would be extremely difficult to do so without leaving drag marks unless she was bundled and tied tightly in a tarp or something, or a wheelbarrow was used.

I used to work in a medical facility that specialized in hospice patients and for lack of a better description, deceased people are VERY difficult to move. Sorry to be graphic, but we would have to wash and prepare them for the family to view and for the funeral home to pick up. With absolutely no muscle tension it is extremely unwieldy to say the least, and that was in a hospital bed with several people helping.

So knowing the above if there were no drag marks it makes me believe she was either killed in situ or perhaps there was an accomplice or the single perp thought of a way to move her that would be easier. But then, we really don't know what the marks at the scene mean, how many of them are really relevant, ect...

I still tentatively go with LE's statement that they believe CB was the crime scene, since they have said that outright and everything else about the spec house, ect is rumor... but their statement is highly interpretable, so who knows.

Regardless, I think we will eventually find all of this out, during the course of the trial, and yes- I believe there will be a trial.

This post has been on my mind, since I read it, and I decided to just go ahead and ask about it. Do you (or anyone) have any thoughts as to why she might have been there? I can't stop wondering *why*.

I am SO glad you brought it up. I was shocked that no one commented on this post! I thought about it all night last night. Just seems odd... Although, I have to admit I drove down to the boat launch saturday and just looked around. It's true that you cannot be seen down below by the dock unless you are on foot or in the water. It is the perfect place to go unseen in my opinion.

More likely a partially-paved access road, if I'm picturing it correctly?

Driveway doesn't look even partially-paved from the pictures, (and footprints were left). But mostly my point is the road wouldn't have been dusty up until the last few yards it was driven into the "driveway".

This post has been on my mind, since I read it, and I decided to just go ahead and ask about it. Do you (or anyone) have any thoughts as to why she might have been there? I can't stop wondering *why*.

Maybe she wanted to go to the "last place" she thinks her daughter was alive...?

Ok, I am of the understanding that the car was only driven a few yards into a dirt "driveway" but pavement was very close by. Police said footprints went to pavement and stopped, (we actually aren't told how far that is).

I quoted "driveway" because from google earth and pictures at WW of where they show vehicle left, it does not look to be the main "driveway" of the residence.

You are correct. Where the car was dumped is a dirt feed lot, and a catchall for old farm equipment, debris, and just all sort of stuff, flanked by outbuildings. There are several no trespassing and keep out signs. It is all fenced in by barbed wire and can only be pulled into in one spot right off the pavement. It is not a driveway at all, in fact the Hurd's live farther up the hill accessed by a different drive all together.

The pavement starts mere feet from where her car was left, just a few feet to maybe 10 if the car was well pulled in to the empty space available.

It was a poor place to dump a car and not very well thought out IMO.

I was not disputing the fact that she did indeed wear braces. They are obviously noticeable in the picture of her that seems to be quite dated. The most current ones that they were showing when she went missing, I think it is safe to say "looked" like she was not wearing braces. That's why I had asked about invisalign. That was a couple weeks ago, and that is when I was told about her jaw problem and the lower teeth being braced. I was not disputing the fact that she wore braces. I just wondered why we weren't able to see them.

I was just confirming the facts that I know her orthodontist, who does NOT use Invisalign, and also giving the additional information that I know dentists were called to confirm the identity of the body. This is first hand, not a guess.

Maybe she wanted to go to the "last place" she thinks her daughter was alive...?

Exactly. Or the last place she wants to remember her daughter being alive. Everywhere else the daughter went after the boat launch could have been with the killer, which would NOT make for happy memories.

Oh. Meant to add that contained within this private feed lot are all the mailboxes for the few homes remaining further up the canyon. I think the Hurds must have given permission to the other homeowners to put them there. The dirt road further up is probably inaccessible to the postman. Not sure if this is relevant but thought I would add this info. :)

Some really interesting stuff here. Interview with Doug Jones--be sure to listen to the podcast.

http://www.kozi.com/NewsStory.aspx?NewsID=2101

That is very interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Is it just me or did he seem to be avoiding the interviewers questions on a possible POI? He did end up saying, "we have not named a POI" or something like that but still. I feel like they know, they just need all the evidence they can get before they pounce on this piece of GARBAGE!

I would have to go back and read the post but IIRC they were referring to the boat launch out in Orondo (near Mac's dad's house), not the one at the foot of Orondo street.

I would have to go back and read the post but IIRC they were referring to the boat launch out in Orondo (near Mac's dad's house), not the one at the foot of Orondo street.

Oh, I guess that isn't the way I read it... You could be right. But why would she be out in Orondo? Maybe... Hmm, maybe we need the poster to confirm this??

Thank you, girlfawkes. *That* is what I thought, and precisely why I was so intrigued.

That is very interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Is it just me or did he seem to be avoiding the interviewers questions on a possible POI? He did end up saying, "we have not named a POI" or something like that but still. I feel like they know, they just need all the evidence they can get before they pounce on this piece of GARBAGE!

Well, he did say flat out that they have gathered tips from the Pitcher Canyon/Squilchuck area and also vehicles/activity at CB, so that's one question answered.

I was thinking late last night about the mechanics of moving a body and how difficult it would be. If there was an accomplice it would be a fairly simple matter, if not it would be extremely difficult to do so without leaving drag marks unless she was bundled and tied tightly in a tarp or something, or a wheelbarrow was used.

I used to work in a medical facility that specialized in hospice patients and for lack of a better description, deceased people are VERY difficult to move. Sorry to be graphic, but we would have to wash and prepare them for the family to view and for the funeral home to pick up. With absolutely no muscle tension it is extremely unwieldy to say the least, and that was in a hospital bed with several people helping.

So knowing the above if there were no drag marks it makes me believe she was either killed in situ or perhaps there was an accomplice or the single perp thought of a way to move her that would be easier. But then, we really don't know what the marks at the scene mean, how many of them are really relevant, ect...

I still tentatively go with LE's statement that they believe CB was the crime scene, since they have said that outright and everything else about the spec house, ect is rumor... but their statement is highly interpretable, so who knows.

Regardless, I think we will eventually find all of this out, during the course of the trial, and yes- I believe there will be a trial.

If she was killed at CB, I still firmly believe that there would have been a great deal of blood. Do we think forensics were there long enough for a specimen collection of those sorts? Stabbing victims don't lose as much blood as if the person were cut. Did anyone notice how long they were there for? Maybe this was asked before, but would the water have been turned on in that house? I know sometimes electricity is left on, but water?? Would the river/lake area have been a means for clean up, or are we leaning toward the outdoor kitchen area? If there were multiple stab wounds and attempts at dismemberment, the blood loss would have been substantial. UNLESS it was done post mortem.

Yeah, wait... I just thought of something... this is freaky. Gonna roll with it again.

First two rumors than wild theory about to be thrown at you:

1st: We've heard rumors MC was gonna go for realignment surgery on her lower jaw to correct some over-bite, (or was it under?).

2nd: We've heard rumors WC had or was about to buy a truck for JF, (and that MC was at the dealership when they were looking at trucks).

Wild speculation follows: Does this make MC jealous that he's getting a new truck before she gets her surgery? Does that cause her to fight with JF, threatening to reveal some secret about him to WC? Does this enrage JF to the point of attempting the jaw realignment himself while torturing and killing her? Or does he hire some quack doctor who attempts to do it for cash and the surgery goes horrible wrong, making the death still an accident?

Ok, that last one was probably a bit too far. Weird, where my mind sometimes take me...

If she was killed at CB, I still firmly believe that there would have been a great deal of blood. Do we think forensics were there long enough for a specimen collection of those sorts? Stabbing victims don't lose as much blood as if the person were cut. Did anyone notice how long they were there for? Maybe this was asked before, but would the water have been turned on in that house? I know sometimes electricity is left on, but water?? Would the river/lake area have been a means for clean up, or are we leaning toward the outdoor kitchen area? If there were multiple stab wounds and attempts at dismemberment, the blood loss would have been substantial. UNLESS it was done post mortem.

I actually thought about that last night... I wonder if the water would have been turned off. Possibly not on the inside, if they have the heat set to a low temp to keep pipes from freezing but I doubt the outside water would be on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEnd