WA WA - Oakley Carlson, 5, missing during welfare check, Oakville, 10 Feb 2021 *mom guilty, identity theft*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Let's be realistic, we have eyewitness statements that the last time anyone had seen Oakley, she didn't look well and was not treated well. LE has leaned on the parents HARD in attempts to get them to say where she is.

That baby is dead (possibly beaten to death, more likely meth related) and thrown in the river.

MOO
Sadly with her sibs having meth in their systems I'm sure she did too. I think her poor little body just gave out. It's sickening,and them not talking is infuriating. Saturday protests at the jail are great though. Even the other inmates participate. Can't make them talk,but you sure can rattle their cages. #Where is Oakley. # Make them Talk. # Say her Name Oakley Hiles. MOO

This is for Oakley's siblings. I really am hoping they negotiated a plea agreement with him to talk about Oakley in exchange for dropping the abandonment charges.
Today in court
Andrew Carlson
Abandonment charges dropped
Plead guilty to 2 counts of child endangerment with a controlled substance
Sentencing March 28 at 9:00am

I so hope he is right! How amazing of him to offer this reward. There has been no reward offered that I'm aware of. Hopefully this will generate some good leads.

At the recent dependency hearing for the other two children AC's lawyer asked for visitation. Oakley's sister's attorney stated that she tells her foster family every day that she does not ever want to talk to or live with her old family again. The attorney said visitation would be harmful to the little girl and thankfully the judge denied it. JB looked like she was crying (probably fake tears MOO). There was a delay with her portion due to her lawyer being delayed and she was returned to the jail without being heard.
Does anyone think that "dad" wanted visitation so that he could try and get the children to tell more lies about what happened to Oakley? Or threaten them. I hope that foster family, where Oakley's sister feels safe enough to say she never wants to go back to her parents, provide her with a good and loving family for the rest of her life. So tragic.

Does anyone think that "dad" wanted visitation so that he could try and get the children to tell more lies about what happened to Oakley? Or threaten them. I hope that foster family, where Oakley's sister feels safe enough to say she never wants to go back to her parents, provide her with a good and loving family for the rest of her life. So tragic.
I think it's pretty standard for a lawyer to ask for visitation and I didn't read too much into that. And it's very rare for visitation to be denied, as the judge stated.

I haven't read the whole thread I'm just on the first couple page discussion about the foster care system. I don't know if you are aware but most counties in the country have a program Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for children in foster care. You have to pass a background check and stuff but anyone can train to do it you don't have to have a college degree or be a lawyer or anything else like that. You meet with the kids and you meet with the foster families and you meet with the biological families and then sometimes you have to go to court and just tell the judge what you observed and what your opinion is of the situation. But if you're upset about the push towards reunification, and you want to try to do something about it, you could look into that program in your local county.

I haven't read the whole thread I'm just on the first couple page discussion about the foster care system. I don't know if you are aware but most counties in the country have a program Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for children in foster care. You have to pass a background check and stuff but anyone can train to do it you don't have to have a college degree or be a lawyer or anything else like that. You meet with the kids and you meet with the foster families and you meet with the biological families and then sometimes you have to go to court and just tell the judge what you observed and what your opinion is of the situation. But if you're upset about the push towards reunification, and you want to try to do something about it, you could look into that program in your local county.

Start here, click to your location & make the world a better place for kids in alternative care:

Home

Note that CASA needs volunteers to work towards legislation protecting kids are for fund raising.

This may be your calling....

jmho ymmv lrr

Start here, click to your location & make the world a better place for kids in alternative care:

Home

Note that CASA needs volunteers to work towards legislation protecting kids are for fund raising.

This may be your calling....

jmho ymmv lrr

Already mentioned by Steff13, but just wanted to emphasize that CASAs do not need to be attorneys (but it is probably a great opportunity for law/paralegal students with an interest in family law!).

Then click on the Legislation box:

Advocate for Legislation

CASAs voice matters around here.

jmhe ymmv lrr
My mother is a CASA volunteer in AR.
Casa's don't hold a lot of weight in court and anyone who is against reunification is frowned upon. Trust me, I know from personal experience fostering.
My mother is a CASA volunteer here in AR. She is a very busy lady that values her time and energy. I honestly don't believe she would make such a commitment if she didn't believe she was making a difference.

MAR 23, 2022
Carlson/Bowers court update; no charges related to missing Oakley Carlson - KXRO News Radio
Carlson’s sentencing hearing is scheduled for Monday, March 28.

Grays Harbor County Prosecutor Jason Walker tells KXRO that a plea offered to Bowers, the mother of the children, was declined and she has instead chosen to take her case to trial.

Her trial is scheduled for April 19.

Both Bowers and Carlson have been held at Grays Harbor County Jail since December 6, 2021.

The parents have not faced any charges related to the disappearance of missing/endangered 5-year-old Oakley Carlson of Oakville. According to reports, Oakley was last seen alive on Feb. 10th, 2021.

MAR 25, 2022
Evidentiary hearing for mother of missing girl Oakley Carlson underway | KOMO (komonews.com)
The evidentiary hearing for Jordan Bowers, the mother of missing 5-year-old girl Oakley Carlson, regarding the abandonment and endangerment charges concerning Oakley’s brother and sister, begins Friday morning.

You can watch the hearing below.

[Video embedded]

MAR 25, 2022
Statements Made By Missing Oakville Girl’s Mother About 6-Year-Old’s Medication Can Be Used in Trial, Judge Rules | The Daily Chronicle (chronline.com)
[...]

Bowers and Carlson were initially arrested on suspicion of manslaughter on Dec. 6. After the couple was booked into the jail, Oakley’s sister’s temporary foster parents asked law enforcement about a medication prescribed to the 6-year-old, and Corrections Deputy Lee Saline asked Bowers where the 6-year-old’s medication was.

Bowers reportedly told Saline the 6-year-old was not on any medication, according to court documents.

Bowers and Carlson were charged on Dec. 7 with second-degree abandonment of a dependent person and accused of failing to provide prescribed medication to the 6-year-old for approximately 15 months.

Bower’s hearing on Friday was to determine whether the statement she made in response to Saline’s question could be used in Bowers’ upcoming trial.

[...]

After hearing testimony from Saline and the Grays Harbor County detective who had initially requested Saline ask Bowers about the 6-year-old’s medication, Judge David Edwards ruled that the question was not interrogative and thus would be admissible as evidence in trial.

Edwards said he had “overwhelming evidence” that Saline did not know his question would “illicit an incriminating response” from Bowers.

There will be a second hearing on April 4 to formally enter in Bowers’ statement as evidence.

Her four-day jury trial is scheduled to begin on April 19. In addition to the second-degree abandonment of a dependent person charge, Bowers faces two counts of endangerment with a controlled substance for allegedly exposing her 6-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son to methamphetamine.

[...]

*** Updated timeline at the bottom of the article

Andrew Carlson was sentenced to 12 months in prison. This is a long article about his sentencing hearing. Because of the TOS, only excerpts of the beginning portion are being posted, but the entire article is worthwhile reading. Carlson's comments, and his attorney's comments are really nauseating to read.

Missing Oakville Girl’s Father Gets a Year in Prison for Exposing Children to Meth: Grays Harbor Superior Court: Still No Charges Filed in Disappearance of Oakley Carlson

Andrew Carlson, the biological father of missing 5-year-old Oakville girl Oakley Carlson, has been sentenced to 12 months in prison after pleading guilty earlier this month to charges unrelated to Oakley.

In addition to the prison sentence, Carlson will be required to undergo a chemical dependency evaluation within 45 days of his release and complete any recommended treatment.

Upon his release, he will not be allowed to possess controlled substances without a prescription and will not be allowed to have unsupervised contact with children under 18. Judge Katherine Svoboda granted Carlson an exception to have contact with his biological children, pending separate dependency hearings. He is allowed to have contact with his 11-year-old child from his previous marriage.

“I would like to say that I deeply regret my failings as a father,” Carlson said. “I haven’t done a lot of things correctly in the last seven years or so. I’m very ready to turn that around and if I can’t be a father to my children at least I can be an example they can look at and say I did the right thing.”

Carlson pleaded guilty to the two counts of endangerment with a controlled substance on March 14. The second-degree abandonment charge was dismissed.

The dismissal of that charge was “a significant benefit to (Carlson),” said Deputy Prosecutor Jason Walker, who recommended that Svobada sentence Carlson on the high end of the 6- to 12-month sentencing range.

“These cases are frustrating for the court because we are limited by what the prosecutor brings before us and what the Legislature gives us as sentencing authority,” said Svoboda on Monday, adding that, despite the crimes being Class C felonies, her only option to sentence Carlson outside of that 6 to 12 month standard range would be to grant him a first-time offender waiver — which would reduce his jail sentence to a 0 to 90 day range but would place him on community custody.

Svoboda said community custody would have been a benefit because “I’m not convinced you are going to follow through unless someone is watching.” She said the 0 to 90 day sentencing range allowed by the first-time offender waiver was not fitting to the crime.

“Based on the limitations before me, I’m going to do the most that I can,” she said, later adding, “I don’t know how you dig yourself out of this, Mr. Carlson, but you’ve earned every day.”

Carlson, who has been in custody on $150,000 bail since his initial arrest on Dec. 6, is eligible for early release in August.
“On behalf of Mr. Andrew Carlson in this matter, he comes before you today humble, very sensitive,” said Carlson’s attorney, Jonathan Feste, during Carlson’s sentencing hearing on Monday.

Feste stated that Carlson has been cooperative with police and that in the 3 1/2 months since his arrest “there’s been much opportunity for (Carlson) to have a clear head.”

When informing the court that Carlson intended to give a brief statement, Feste said, “He is under advice to be careful of words. We obviously know there are more things associated with this matter. We simply want to acknowledge for the community the great pain that is felt, that there is compassion for children who are placed in such risky environments. He cannot undo the past seven years but if he can take constructive steps going forward, I think Mr. Walker has shown grace with this matter.”

(IMO, there is only one thing he could do that would prove that he wants to turn his life around and be a responsible person -- and we all know what that is.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back