GUILTY Wa - Pat Shunn, 45, & Monique Patenaude, 46, Arlington, 11 April 2016 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, "Isolationist." I know this area is known for the making of meth and weed grows, so I'd be curious to know if part of the isolation and need for privacy has anything to do with protecting a drug business. It would certainly explain not wanting to go to court. Again, no plaintiffs, no court case. It sadly appears it worked.

Murder charges are probably bigger problems than drug charges...

Yes, "Isolationist." I know this area is known for the making of meth and weed grows, so I'd be curious to know if part of the isolation and need for privacy has anything to do with protecting a drug business. It would certainly explain not wanting to go to court. Again, no plaintiffs, no court case. It sadly appears it worked.
Maybe but he let cameras into his house as recent as 2014 and he sold it to the county just this year. I'm sure they would have it inspected.

I keep trying to figure out if these dudes are playing with full decks. It is totally possible that they became very recent meth addicts with all this stress and the money from the sale. JUST speculating! I just don't see these yokels as natural born killer types. Petty thefts and land disputes don't usually lead to cold blooded murderer type thinking...or do they? :thinking:

BBM

Of course there are lots of decent folks living in the area. And during a crisis, which is when you were there, the best in everyone usually comes out. Even the dirtbags and Sovereign Citizen types will pitch in and care about others. But there were clearly some with an agenda (Freedom County, etc) living there. And that's why the comments are relevant. When people have an ideology that allows them to be violent, they are much more dangerous than regular dirtbags or inner city criminals. Their violence (or threat of it) is for a "higher cause." We don't know yet which category the Reed brothers fit into yet, but having background information about an area is very helpful, not intended to insult the regular locals.
JMO

I am not sure it is real background information about the area. I live about 80 miles away and that's certainly not the reputation it has down here.
There are certainly different areas that have different reputations, but I've never heard anything like that about Arlington/Oso especially.

The guy who was trying to start Freedom County is dead. And he's just one guy. It doesn't mean people living in the area ascribe to the same values.
I went and did a bunch of research on the "religion" there and there's not much of a connection to this case. And comments about the area, it also impugns the victims who live right alongside the suspects. I'm not singling anyone's comments out here -- I just think that the direction is less relevant to the case.

The most relevant information so far on the suspects and the immediate area is the property disputes and land use post SR530 slide.

I keep trying to figure out if these dudes are playing with full decks. It is totally possible that they became very recent meth addicts with all this stress and the money from the sale. JUST speculating! I just don't see these yokels as natural born killer types. Petty thefts and land disputes don't usually lead to cold blooded murderer type thinking...or do they? :thinking:

This is a very interesting article about a guy who teaches a university class about murder. Here's what he has to say:

Most murderers, he says, are like “normal” people. “Murder is a crime of passion. It is often the only violent act committed in their life and maybe their last one.”

“It’s an impulsive act,” adds Keppel. “Many of the people have never been in trouble before. In most cases, your murder offenders are pretty clean criminally.”

What happens, Weis says, is that a catalyst is often involved that pushes an offender over the top. What might just be a fight between friends turns into a deadly confrontation if alcohol or drugs are involved. “Just the availability of a weapon is a catalyst,” he adds, as is the presence of an audience. “If your buddies or your girlfriend are around, you are more likely to save face.”

Much more interesting information at the link. The part I quoted is on page 3.
http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/march07/content/view/14/1/1/2/

I am not sure it is real background information about the area. I live about 80 miles away and that's certainly not the reputation it has down here.
There are certainly different areas that have different reputations, but I've never heard anything like that about Arlington/Oso especially.

The guy who was trying to start Freedom County is dead. And he's just one guy. It doesn't mean people living in the area ascribe to the same values.
I went and did a bunch of research on the "religion" there and there's not much of a connection to this case. And comments about the area, it also impugns the victims who live right alongside the suspects. I'm not singling anyone's comments out here -- I just think that the direction is less relevant to the case.

The most relevant information so far on the suspects and the immediate area is the property disputes and land use post SR530 slide.
I'm not really harping on it but the local media does do a lot of finger pointing to Snohomish County have a serious drug abuse and trafficking crisis(and its neighboring Skagit County)

Suspects on the run, police say

Manhunt under way for suspected killers in Washington state

Two brothers suspected of murdering a Washington state couple remained on the loose Monday as authorities continued a frantic hunt to find the dangerous duo.
Brothers John Blaine Reed, 53, and Tony Clyde Reed, 49, may be driving a 2007 Volkswagon EOS Coupes with Washington license plate AXH5106, but authorities, speaking during a Sunday news conference, did not know their current location. Both are convicted felons, though their previous crimes weren't named.

Snohomish County Sheriff Ty Trenary cautioned anyone who sees them to avoid contact.

“They are armed and dangerous and the public should absolutely be worried,”

TReed.jpg TReed2.jpg

Tony Reed

JReed.jpg

John Reed

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/1...eved-murdered-suspects-on-run-police-say.html

fox news.jpg

Detectives have acknowledged that there were property disputes between the Reed brothers and the missing couple. Shunn and Patenaude owned a large lot near the Stillaguamish River. They filed a lawsuit against the Reeds three years ago, claiming the brothers drove their RVs onto their property and let their dogs harass their farm animals.

After looking through their abandoned cars, the Snohomish County sheriff says they found evidence of murder and incriminating evidence in a home where John Reed once lived. Detectives said they were also able to obtain video surveillance footage tying the Reed brothers to the disposal of the vehicles.

http://mynorthwest.com/264999/sheriffs-office-public-absolutely-worried/

This beef has been stewing for a long time...................

I get what everyone is saying here about assumptions of drug use, isolationists, freedom parties etc. I don't think we should leap to conclusions which is why I was hoping we'd get some inkling to the nature of the Reed brothers' criminal history and more on the land disputes.

I think the idea of living off the grid, subsistence farming or survivalism and shady criminal practices can, in reality, become a dangerous melting pot in rural/remote areas. I can imagine that the vegetarian, yoga-practicing, free-range hen-raising nature conservationist that likes to hear a river, may be thrilled to buy a rural property but later finds that the neighbors keep odd hours hunting with ATVs, set traps, build huge bonfires and don't recycle. I know these are two extremes of the stereotypes that seem to be moving in droves to isolated areas (each for their own valid reasons) but it doesn't change the fact that neighbors often have to rub elbows with people with vastly different ideologies and sensibilities. And I'm sure that little patch of riverside paradise in Oso, tinged with recent disaster, has folks from all walks of life, trying, and this time failing, to coexist peaceably.

Here, in suburbia on the other side of the country, I can usually get by with biting my tongue occasionally ;)

I have a feeling they will not surrender alive. No basis for it, just a gut feeling I have.

This case reminds me somewhat of Mel and Elizabeth Grimes and their neighbor, John Kenney. I am heartbroken at this outcome. I am so sad that it is clear that they are dead but there are no bodies and the murderers are free.

I saw the FB picture that said, "Wherever they are, they are together." It touched my heart. I hope they were able to hold and comfort each other into eternity and beyond it.

A senseless tragedy. It makes me angry and sad.

Progessive, ex: John Charlton

I have this vague feeling that Tony Reed wasn't a big part of this entire situation until his brother actually committed murder. The confrontation between Pat's brother and John Reed was over John Reed sexually harassing/assaulting Monique, and then Pat not taking any action on so his brother stepped in and went over to John's house and had words with him (but John didn't come out of the house.) When he got back and got into it with his brother again they got into a fistfight and didn't talk again, for around a year.

I just envision John murdering P/M then calling his brother for help to cover it up.

If that happens to be the case then maybe Tony Reed will turn them both in?

Wishful thinking, maybe.

Snip>
Tony Reed has a felony history dating back to the late 1980s and mid 1990s in Snohomish County, including attempting to elude police and other offenses. During that same period he also amassed nearly three dozen prosecutions for misdemeanors and arrests that brought him before a judge for bail. His most-recent prosecution was 2014 in Kittitas County, where he was initially charged with felony second-degree assault in a domestic violence case. He later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor fourth-degree assault.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...suspected-killers-of-missing-Arlington-couple

I've been watching FOX news and CNN and checking for updates if this information was getting out to the nation. I'm not having much luck, wondering if that is strategic or MSM just not picking the case up.
These 2 could be anywhere by now, the whole northern route (though I don't believe they took that) is full of wilderness. Straight shot from Ellensburg to Oregon and the cascades as well.

That is definitely its reputation locally. I grew up a town away from Arlington and now live about about a half hour away. Freedom County was not an isolated man. It was at least 100 strong in very vocal supporters, and thousands purported to be within the county as they recognized it. Ironically, the laws they fought against are the ones that if properly followed might have protected them during the Oso mudslide. That's not to say everyone in Arlington is Freedom County, but that's the history there and contributes to how neighbors treat land issues, how neighbors treat police, how police and the system responds to neighbor disputes, etc. The online dockets are down or I would see who denied their prior request for a restraining order. It was denied, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Everett Herald crime reporter just now:

rikki king ‏@rikkiking
DEVELOPING: Missing Oso couple reported their suspected killer for squatting a few weeks ago. History of property disputes. Story posting.

rikki king ‏@rikkiking
John Reed, wanted on suspicion of murder, reportedly blamed people in Oso for the #530slide, had threatened to shoot others and hide bodies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back