GUILTY Wa - Pat Shunn, 45, & Monique Patenaude, 46, Arlington, 11 April 2016 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the Everett Herald crime reporter just now:

rikki king ‏@rikkiking
DEVELOPING: Missing Oso couple reported their suspected killer for squatting a few weeks ago. History of property disputes. Story posting.

rikki king ‏@rikkiking
John Reed, wanted on suspicion of murder, reportedly blamed people in Oso for the #530slide, had threatened to shoot others and hide bodies
Ugh. This entitled freak makes me so !@#$%--R I P Monique and your kind Hubby

That is definitely its reputation locally. I grew up a town away from Arlington and now live about about a half hour away. Freedom County was not an isolated man. It was at least 100 strong in very vocal supporters, and thousands purported to be within the county as they recognized it. Ironically, the laws they fought against are the ones that if properly followed might have protected them during the Oso mudslide. That's not to say everyone in Arlington is Freedom County, but that's the history there and contributes to how neighbors treat land issues, how neighbors treat police, how police and the system responds to neighbor disputes, etc. The online dockets are down or I would see who denied their prior request for a restraining order. It was denied, right?

It was indeed denied. My dealings with SnoCo LE, fire etc have not revealed anything like that though it is less likely to come out in a professional setting.

I still think making comments about the area impugns the victims, because.... they lived in the area too. How do we know the Reeds are more or less involved in the than the victims? And of course, does it matter? I believe the only direct link on the religious front was the purchase of neighboring property, not by the Reeds.
Please jump in if I missed something.

Now, would I believe the brothers could have had assistance and that their family and friends may not have cooperated with police? Sure.

I found an old story on Freedom County: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20001029/NEWS01/10290717
Interesting stuff.

And not to imply it was purely a local phenomenon, even King County had its own secessionist movement.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7894

Now there are places near where I live where you can "hear the banjos playing" but as you say it doesn't mean most people in an area are of that ilk.

LOL. Interesting doesn't even begin to describe it. It was literally insane.

SnoCo sheriffs that they throw out here are not the finest. Google the case of Dayna Fure in Stanwood. Her family was awarded a substantial settlement because of how poorly trained they were. Among their missteps? Forcing a 17yo DV victim to have interaction with her assailant so that they could end his armed standoff. He told her he'd kill her and, sure enough, he did right after that. Later, Stanwood Police (staffed by low SnoCo officers) admitted they'd never even logged his restraining order violations. That's how DV was and still is treated there. It's literally a different world living 20 miles away.

It is my opinion LE in the area are HANDS off in personal disputes and that contributes to these crimes occurring.

As I said, not everyone there is like that. Frankly, given the descriptions of the victims, I really ponder how they'd fit in with those neighbors. But, to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will vote for another governor, at election time, because I disagree with Inslee not allowing the death penalty. There are quite of violent killers in WA who need to be executed. If the brothers are proven guilty, and convicted.....they need the ultimate punishment.

New Article:: posted at 4:00
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...le's-deaths-was-squatting-search-warrant-says

[Tony Reed has a felony history dating back to the late 1980s in Snohomish County, including a 1996 pursuit after he drove into a police car and took off. When arrested, he allegedly kicked an officer in the head. In 1993, he and another man were accused of assaulting others with a pool cue and pliers.
“Drinking and fighting are things they both do with some regularity,” prosecutors wrote of Reed and his accomplice at the time. ]

Let's please keep the parents on both sides out of this please. No Sleuthing Family Members!

Thanks!

I've been watching FOX news and CNN and checking for updates if this information was getting out to the nation. I'm not having much luck, wondering if that is strategic or MSM just not picking the case up.
These 2 could be anywhere by now, the whole northern route (though I don't believe they took that) is full of wilderness. Straight shot from Ellensburg to Oregon and the cascades as well.

Dr Drew featured this case on his show this afternoon.

After this I'm never going to sue my neighbors no matter how much I can't stand a few of them. Last week on the news two neighbors ongoing feud one guy got his gun and killed his neighbors dog right in front of him. I would be horrified. Not worth losing your life over that's for sure.

New Article:: posted at 4:00
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...le's-deaths-was-squatting-search-warrant-says

[Tony Reed has a felony history dating back to the late 1980s in Snohomish County, including a 1996 pursuit after he drove into a police car and took off. When arrested, he allegedly kicked an officer in the head. In 1993, he and another man were accused of assaulting others with a pool cue and pliers.
“Drinking and fighting are things they both do with some regularity,” prosecutors wrote of Reed and his accomplice at the time. ]

My opinion...these violent criminals should have been in jail a long time ago before they could kill anyone.

It was indeed denied. My dealings with SnoCo LE, fire etc have not revealed anything like that though it is less likely to come out in a professional setting.

I still think making comments about the area impugns the victims, because.... they lived in the area too. How do we know the Reeds are more or less involved in the than the victims? And of course, does it matter? I believe the only direct link on the religious front was the purchase of neighboring property, not by the Reeds.
Please jump in if I missed something.

Now, would I believe the brothers could have had assistance and that their family and friends may not have cooperated with police? Sure.

I found an old story on Freedom County: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20001029/NEWS01/10290717
Interesting stuff.

And not to imply it was purely a local phenomenon, even King County had its own secessionist movement.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7894

Now there are places near where I live where you can "hear the banjos playing" but as you say it doesn't mean most people in an area are of that ilk.
BBM

ANZAC, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect what you have contributed to Cheryl DeBoer's thread. It's very kind of you to be concerned about the reputation of the victims. However, those of us who have lived in areas with a "reputation" do not consider our own reputations tarnished because of what goes on there. It is what it is, and talking about it helps sleuthers to know the lay of the land. It's fact. Whether the Reeds were involved with any of the offbeat things mentioned remains to be seen. These things do not represent the entire area. But an area can have an overall or underlying "culture" that impacts how LE functions, how neighbors function, etc. It's just a fact, and has nothing to do with individual reputations, or the reputations of the majority, and least of all the victims in this particular case.
JMO

Has anyone heard anything about the search for the Reeds lately? I checked downstairs in the scanner thread...but no one was there. Does LE have any idea where these guys could be? Or could it simply be anywhere?

The county bought out Reed's house last month to ease any risks from future flooding, but investigators believe Reed had been returning to the home since then, the sheriff's office said.
In 2013, Shunn and Patenaude joined two other property owners in suing neighbors David and Shelly Dick over the use of the old logging road, which crosses their property. They alleged that the Dicks had been allowing people to trespass on their land with recreational vehicles so that they could access an unoccupied riverfront parcel owned by the Dicks.

Last month, the Dicks filed a motion asking the court to dismiss the complaint.

John Reed's property was further along the logging road, and he too used it regularly, but the couple didn't want to sue him, Adams said. It's possible he had a right to use the road because of his historical practice of doing so, Adams said, but the couple was also concerned because of things they had heard about him — though exactly what they had heard remains unclear.
http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2016/04/missing_couple_from_washington.html
ETA: From the same article - not many priors on JR but TR looks like a real bad egg. I'm wondering if TR escalated a confrontation with the S/Ps?
John Reed has been cited for a number of mostly minor offenses, including driving without a license and collecting wood without a permit, for which he was fined $87. He served five years on Department of Corrections supervision in the late 1990s for attempting to elude police in Whatcom County.

Tony Reed has amassed dozens of arrests and twice was under state supervision — from 1989 to 1991 on drug charges, and from 1994 to 2003 for three misdemeanors, one count of attempting to elude police and one count of third-degree assault.

<snip>
Searchers using a helicopter also spotted a tarp placed over what appears to be a mound in the woods. The location is down an embankment not far from where the couple’s vehicles were found. The tarp appeared to have been placed recently and covered with freshly cut branches, according to the search warrants.
As of Monday afternoon, it was unclear whether ground crews have reached the tarp for a more thorough search. The sheriff’s office earlier had obtained permission to search from the private property owner, a logging company, court papers show. The Reeds may have been using all-terrain vehicles to access the site in the days after the couple disappeared, police wrote.
Also found in the couple’s vehicles or nearby were rubber gloves, lumber, cables and camouflage tarps. A receipt was found for the items dated April 13.

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs....atting-search-warrant-says&template=MobileArt

so sad to hear of the updates today... hope the brothers are caught soon without harming any others.

<snip>
Searchers using a helicopter also spotted a tarp placed over what appears to be a mound in the woods. The location is down an embankment not far from where the couple’s vehicles were found. The tarp appeared to have been placed recently and covered with freshly cut branches, according to the search warrants.
As of Monday afternoon, it was unclear whether ground crews have reached the tarp for a more thorough search. The sheriff’s office earlier had obtained permission to search from the private property owner, a logging company, court papers show. The Reeds may have been using all-terrain vehicles to access the site in the days after the couple disappeared, police wrote.
Also found in the couple’s vehicles or nearby were rubber gloves, lumber, cables and camouflage tarps. A receipt was found for the items dated April 13.

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs....atting-search-warrant-says&template=MobileArt

I wonder if the tarp spotted from the air is camouflaged like the ones found in the vehicles? How many items on the receipt were unaccounted for?

The perps prints are probably all over the receipt. Did they pay cash for the items or were they dumb enough to use a credit card?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Detectives spoke with the neighbor the couple is suing. He said he found a shotgun in his garage that didn’t belong to him. He also said that Reed was familiar with the garage. The gun was loaded with shells similar to ones found in Reed’s former bedroom, court papers said.

Wow! So much info in that article. Looks to me like they were possibly ambushed while they were sleeping.
So much beauty surrounded by so much hatred.

Detectives spoke with the neighbor the couple is suing. He said he found a shotgun in his garage that didn&#8217;t belong to him. He also said that Reed was familiar with the garage. The gun was loaded with shells similar to ones found in Reed&#8217;s former bedroom, court papers said.

Wow! So much info in that article. Looks to me like they were possibly ambushed while they were sleeping.
They didn't make it to the Iron Maiden Concert, which was in Tacoma. Something happened that afternoon, maybe when Pat got home to pick her up/ maybe she was supposed to drive to meet him, then became unreachable...

Detectives spoke with the neighbor the couple is suing. He said he found a shotgun in his garage that didn&#8217;t belong to him. He also said that Reed was familiar with the garage. The gun was loaded with shells similar to ones found in Reed&#8217;s former bedroom, court papers said.

John Reed threatened to kill people after the 2014 mudslide.I was looking through pictures of the mudslide and you would think after witnessing his neighbors and community devastated by the destruction he would have a new found respect for life and people.

BBM

ANZAC, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect what you have contributed to Cheryl DeBoer's thread. It's very kind of you to be concerned about the reputation of the victims. However, those of us who have lived in areas with a "reputation" do not consider our own reputations tarnished because of what goes on there. It is what it is, and talking about it helps sleuthers to know the lay of the land. It's fact. Whether the Reeds were involved with any of the offbeat things mentioned remains to be seen. These things do not represent the entire area. But an area can have an overall or underlying "culture" that impacts how LE functions, how neighbors function, etc. It's just a fact, and has nothing to do with individual reputations, or the reputations of the majority, and least of all the victims in this particular case.
JMO

Thank you.

It was previously suggested that the suspects were possibly mixed up with either the "religion" or the secessionist movement in the area; there's no evidence yet to suggest either of those things about even the suspects - it certainly is possible as you say. They seem like frequent fliers within the criminal justice system for sure. My experience with people in the area (at least the Arlington town, and Oso-Darrington side) has been positive. (I have a long list of areas in this region where I wouldn't say that so my glasses aren't rose colored, maybe I've just been lucky)

Also just as a future FYI and unrelated to this line of discussion, if I stop replying to a local thread it means that I'm either away somewhere :) or somehow got involved in the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back