GUILTY Wa - Pat Shunn, 45, & Monique Patenaude, 46, Arlington, 11 April 2016 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Detectives spoke with the neighbor the couple is suing. He said he found a shotgun in his garage that didn’t belong to him. He also said that Reed was familiar with the garage. The gun was loaded with shells similar to ones found in Reed’s former bedroom, court papers said.

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs....atting-search-warrant-says&template=MobileArt

Wow! So much info in that article. Looks to me like they were possibly ambushed while they were sleeping.
So much beauty surrounded by so much hatred.

This guy is the nightmare neighbor!! I'm so, so, so sorry Pat and Monique stuck it out and paid with their lives. I'm sure they never thought it would end up like this, but Reed warned them. Speaking from experience, you cannot "win" with a neighbor this unstable. Getting out alive is "winning." We can all learn from this tragedy. JMO

Shunn in 2013 also had called 911 to report that John Reed was threatening him and his wife over a property dispute involving brush cutting, court papers show. Reed reportedly had warned Shunn he would “shoot or assault (Shunn and Patenaude) if they didn’t leave Reed alone.” At that time, the problems between them were described as “ongoing and constant.”

John Reed isn’t named in a lawsuit the couple filed in 2013 against two other neighbors, but Patenaude cited problems with him in her petition for an anti-harassment order against the named neighbors.

She claimed that Reed and the other neighbors were trespassing on her easement when Reed told her he’d make her move away from her property. She said the other neighbors were nodding their heads in agreement.

“They were aggressive and calling me vulgar names. I did not feel safe,” she wrote.
BBM

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20160418/NEWS01/160419071/Suspect-in-couple%27s-deaths-was-squatting-search-warrant-says&template=MobileArt

This guy is the nightmare neighbor!! I'm so, so, so sorry Pat and Monique stuck it out and paid with their lives. I'm sure they never thought it would end up like this, but Reed warned them. Speaking from experience, you cannot "win" with a neighbor this unstable. Getting out alive is "winning." We can all learn from this tragedy. JMO

Shunn in 2013 also had called 911 to report that John Reed was threatening him and his wife over a property dispute involving brush cutting, court papers show. Reed reportedly had warned Shunn he would “shoot or assault (Shunn and Patenaude) if they didn’t leave Reed alone.” At that time, the problems between them were described as “ongoing and constant.”

John Reed isn’t named in a lawsuit the couple filed in 2013 against two other neighbors, but Patenaude cited problems with him in her petition for an anti-harassment order against the named neighbors.

She claimed that Reed and the other neighbors were trespassing on her easement when Reed told her he’d make her move away from her property. She said the other neighbors were nodding their heads in agreement.

“They were aggressive and calling me vulgar names. I did not feel safe,” she wrote.
BBM

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20160418/NEWS01/160419071/Suspect-in-couple%27s-deaths-was-squatting-search-warrant-says&template=MobileArt

It's very sad that this couple lived with all of this ^^^ and now it's ended with the loss of their lives.......

This story is already bad enough, to make it worse I'm really hoping Monique wasn't sexually assaulted….I was hoping their murder swift and fast so they weren't aware of what was happening and were maybe shot as they drove up to their home in their vehicles.

Sadly, it seems they might have been kidnapped first. I can't help but think of the emotional torture they might have ensued before their deaths. This case really irks me and I hope the loser killers are found. I hope the bodies are recovered soon for the family's sake as well as forensics.

"Detectives say they believe the brothers kidnapped and murdered the couple before coming back to their former property shortly after the crime."

http://q13fox.com/2016/04/18/blood-...linking-brothers-to-missing-arlington-couple/

Crazy that this madman was walking around as he pleased even after he told a deputy he would kill people. Insane.

http://koin.com/ap/missing-couple-feared-man-sought-in-their-disappearance/

When they sued other neighbors over a property dispute more than two years ago, they avoided naming him [referring to Reed] as a defendant because they didn’t want to irk him, their former lawyer said Monday.

I saw a photo of Pat and Monique this morning on the news that looked like it was taken on the Playa in Black Rock City. It was in a quick montage of photos so I'm trying to find it again, but if I do and it's from Burning Man I'll post it. They looked super happy.

I hope their bodies are found soon. The brush-covered tarps mentioned earlier sound promising.

ETA found it, though it looks cropped from the one I saw this morning

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancou...elonging-to-missing-bc-woman-and-husband.html

It's very last photo in the article. Sorry my posting skills are terrible, and I don't know how to link to just the photo.

I'm in Canada and IIRC, here restraining orders can only be granted for familial issues/bloodlines. If there is harassment or stalking we get granted peace bonds which are similar.

I'm not sure the US laws (sorry, I'm ignorant lol!), but it sounds like restraining orders can be granted for any type of harassment? It's too bad this situation wasn't dealt with by authorities earlier.

You and your wife vs brothers with guns that live next door with the nearest cop being 10 miles away is never a good thing. Jmo.

Exactly! What a terrifying thought. Patrick probably didn't want to rock the boat when his brother Erik confronted JR either. Patrick probably knew JR was capable.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/monique-patenaude-missing-washington-1.3536608

Cynthia Fawcett, a friend who has known Patenaude for 25 years, describes Monique Patenaude as "a friend who's got your back no matter what."

"They're amazing people. They go out of their way to help anybody. Monique is a friend who's got your back no matter what."

Fawcett says she and Patenaude worked together as care aids for people with developmental disabilities for more than two decades in Burnaby, B.C.

FWIW Moses Lake is about 70 miles east of Ellensburg and 100 miles west of Spokane. Unless they turned south, I can't think of where they think they're going. ML is a town of about 22k, and there really isn't another town between here and Spokane.

FWIW Moses Lake is about 70 miles east of Ellensburg and 100 miles west of Spokane. Unless they turned south, I can't think of where they think they're going. ML is a town of about 22k, and there really isn't another town between here and Spokane.

I could see these guys doing some kind of home invasion, and holding a family hostage (or worse) and taking over someone's farm or house would be a good way to lay low for a while, especially if it was someone who lived in a remote area and didn't get a lot of visitors.

The victims owned guns, and the husband was an airborne ranger, so they were capable of defending themselves. This means they were definitely surprised.

What I'm wondering is, which brother pulled the trigger and started the whole thing?

I could see these guys doing some kind of home invasion, and holding a family hostage (or worse) and taking over someone's farm or house would be a good way to lay low for a while, especially if it was someone who lived in a remote area and didn't get a lot of visitors.

I agree with both of your posts. I mentioned the I-90 because there are many directions they could have taken, but they came almost directly east. So I assume the 90.

I'm definitely locking up! Good thing my brother in law is next door locked and loaded!

I'm not sure what we're supposed to be learning here, Lilibet. That a property owner should not use the legal system to protect their land rights? That folks should get what they want by intimidation and threats and your life is in peril if you go to the authorities? I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but the first part of your post sounds a little bit like victim blaming. Why should Pat and Monique have given up their property just because some a-holes were threatening them? Turning tail and selling would have been a big loss, not a win.

IDGI

Hi La Louve. :loveyou: I always value your opinions, and you feel strongly about this. I'm so sorry my comment came across as victim blaming. I tried to word it carefully so it wouldn't, because that isn't what I mean at all. But thank you for your reply so that I can clarify and explain my personal experience that motivated my post. Sorry it's so long, but I still think there is a lot we may be able to take away from this tragedy.

The tragic reality is that there are some people in the world, who may end up as a neighbor, who have no respect for law or the lives of those who live within their selfish, unstable sphere. While each situation is different, and each property owner needs to make their choice based on the facts at hand, and their own values, there is a lot to learn: It is safer to believe the threats these evil people make. Using the legal system to protect your land rights may not work and may escalate a bad situation. Seeking protection may not work and may escalate a bad situation. Nothing you do may fix the situation, but make it worse. That's the possible cruel reality we can recognize and take into consideration in our own decisions.

Do I want such a person to get what they want by intimidation and threats? Not at all! It angers me that they can get away with this garbage! But when I am dealing with an unstable, lawless, dangerous neighbor, as I have, my life is worth way more than my property. Standing up to them on principle or because I want to live somewhere that I love is less important to me than my life and the lives of my family. Others may make a different decision but my hope is that they look at all factors when doing so.

Here's where I'm coming from...We had a very dangerous and unstable neighbor who moved next to our acreage in the Humboldt redwoods. He shot at houses, mailboxes and drilled a well to deliberately drain our spring. We had to haul water for months and spend $$$ drilling a well. He threatened to kill us and the other neighbors. The sheriff was at least thirty minutes away and was called repeatedly by all of us. He was sympathetic, but there wasn't a lot he could do without catching this neighbor in the act. We could tell that our neighbor was so unstable that restraining orders and lawsuits would just endanger us even more. So we kept a low profile. One particularly bad night when we could hear him screaming from his house that he was coming to kill us, we fled our home and waited in a safe place for LE. They came, but the neighbor had disappeared. Eventually, he was arrested. When he was released, he drove to our home with a gun in his gun rack to let me know he was home. I was alone and scared, but I stood on our porch and quietly assured him we wanted peace and were not a threat. Thankfully, he left us alone. We sold our property (with full disclosure) and moved within a year, for that and other reasons. Do I feel that we lost when we sold. Not at all. I am still here to tell this story (and plenty more!), and it could easily have turned out differently. I consider that a win. There are lots of great places to live and we moved to one of them 32 years ago. :)

Are there some things I feel strongly enough about to die for? Absolutely. But property isn't one of them. And again, in no way am I blaming Pat and Monique for what happened to them. They thought that they could fix the situation, and unfortunately Reed was more than willing to carry out his threats. I don't fault them for trying to stay on their land at all. But we do learn from every case we follow, so I was pointing out that there are some potential lessons we can draw from theirs. Hope that helps, my friend. :heartbeat:

These guys are numbskulls.
I've made it from Western Washington to Eastern Montana in less than 16 hours before. They are seen at a GOLF COURSE, they chose a place guaranteed to have heavy surveillance to get some snacks. Criminalling is harrrd! Shouldn't be too long now....

More interesting information from the article for those who may be mobile.

Apparent dried blood was found in John Reed’s former home, including in a bathtub and a bedroom. What appears to be blood also was found in the missing couple’s vehicles, according to the search warrants.

Searchers using a helicopter also spotted a tarp placed over what appears to be a mound in the woods. The location is down an embankment not far from where the couple’s vehicles were found. The tarp appeared to have been placed recently and covered with freshly cut branches, according to the search warrants.
As of Monday afternoon, it was unclear whether ground crews have reached the tarp for a more thorough search. The sheriff’s office earlier had obtained permission to search from the private property owner, a logging company, court papers show. The Reeds may have been using all-terrain vehicles to access the site in the days after the couple disappeared, police wrote.

Also found in the couple’s vehicles or nearby were rubber gloves, lumber, cables and camouflage tarps. A receipt was found for the items dated April 13.

One neighbor’s surveillance video showed Shunn and Patenaude’s vehicles being driven toward the area of the embankment about 3 a.m. April 12. Investigators believe the vehicles were driven or pushed over the embankment. Freshly cut branches also had been placed on top of the vehicles, apparently as camouflage.
Records show the victims’ cell phones were at their home until about 3 a.m on April 12. The phones appeared to travel about two miles west and stayed in one location. The phones appeared to return to the area near the couple’s home three hours later and were shut off. As of Monday afternoon the phones were missing.
About six hours after the victims’ vehicles were moved, John Reed’s pickup was recorded on surveillance video headed toward the embankment where the missing couple’s vehicles were later found.
On April 15, Reed’s estranged wife told police he had been staying with his parents. His red truck has since been found at his parents’ house.
On Saturday, the former Reed home near Oso was searched, and more rubber gloves and tarps were found, along with multiple firearms and ammunition. Under a metal outbuilding, detectives also found an underground room believed to be an old marijuana growing operation.

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs....atting-search-warrant-says&template=MobileArt

Two orders of suicide- by-cop coming up, with a side order of spike sticks.

Ugh, scary thought and I agree.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3