GUILTY Wa - Pat Shunn, 45, & Monique Patenaude, 46, Arlington, 11 April 2016 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder why the brothers, with criminal backgrounds, are not in jail/prison. Did either one serve time for the crimes they were found guilty of?

It's my opinion, that a convicted violent criminal, will likely commit another crime of violence, if allowed to leave jail/prison.

Trajectory. Wonder which way they are going to go in a RED car with an APB(?I would think) and license plate # blasted all over. You cant really make any time driving off I-90, so my thoughts are they are doing a survivalist thing in Eastern Washington past Ellensburg or they bombed along I-90 into North Dakota by now. Cant really see them trying to hide out in Montana, albeit there are many places to practice survivalist skills there....

Thinking the same thing!

Trajectory. Wonder which way they are going to go in a RED car with an APB(?I would think) and license plate # blasted all over. You cant really make any time driving off I-90, so my thoughts are they are doing a survivalist thing in Eastern Washington past Ellensburg or they bombed along I-90 into North Dakota by now. Cant really see them trying to hide out in Montana, albeit there are many places to practice survivalist skills there....

Yup. You never want to drive a red car if you don't want LE to notice you! I wonder if they were connected with any groups like Sovereign Citizens and their ilk who would hide them. Idaho has a lot of those lawless types. I'm sure they were well hidden before the BOLO was issued. I'd like to know how skilled they are in survival. We don't know a lot about them.

The
Reed property is only 3 acres. you might be confusing it

My property is 10, 000 square foot which is almost 1 quarter of an acre.

So i still wonder how some people can own own acres while still being meth heads.

So since I live in California. I guess that I must pay more.

Or maybe I wasn't as blessed to have 3 acres passed down to me.

Does anyone know the motive of why the Reed brothers would do this?

Thanks in advance.

"Erik Shunn, Patrick' Shunn's brother, wrote KIRO 7 about the missing married couple last week. He said they were missing under unusual circumstances after an ongoing land dispute with a neighbor.
The Everett Herald reports the couple were scheduled to be at a court hearing last week about the land dispute."

http://www.kiro7.com/news/arlington-couple-missing-since-monday/214988488

The 'Reed' property is technically owned by Snohomish County so theoretically both brothers were squatters. It was purchased by the county in March of this year after the mudslide caused damage/instability. Before this JR had been the rightful owner for the last 13 years having purchased the home from his parents in 2003 (sales price of $0 so possibly gifted or willed).

Property records indicate that relatives in 2003 deeded John Reed the Whitman Road property, which was immediately east of the land where Shunn and Patenaude made their home. The former Reed property borders the hillside that collapsed during the Oso mudslide. He sold to Snohomish County in March for $244,000.
“We believe Mr. Reed has been coming and going from the house since then"
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...suspected-killers-of-missing-Arlington-couple
https://www.snoco.org/proptax/(twlbjza0fhcqk02nl3vixt55)/search.aspx?parcel_number=32071200200900 Parcel # 32071200200900

I wonder if this was a FEMA-sanctioned property acquisition following the landslide? This can cause all kinds of issues. Especially if the owners don't want to move but the area is considered dangerous. A price must be agreed on but property values are often based on taxation records and can be way off market value. That said, $244,000 for a 3 bedroom on 1 acre seems pretty fair.

I think all of this could have led to JR and TR becoming very bitter and twisted about their situation. If the Shunn/Patenaude's were then confronting the brothers as they continued to come and go to a property that should be unoccupied, using the 'right-of-way' that crosses S/P's land...well, I can see how this situation could have exploded.

What a sad situation and a tragic loss of life.

The 'Reed' property is technically owned by Snohomish County so theoretically both brothers were squatters. It was purchased by the county in March of this year after the mudslide caused damage/instability. Before this JR had been the rightful owner for the last 13 years having purchased the home from his parents in 2003 (sales price of $0 so possibly gifted or willed).

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...suspected-killers-of-missing-Arlington-couple
https://www.snoco.org/proptax/(twlbjza0fhcqk02nl3vixt55)/search.aspx?parcel_number=32071200200900

I wonder if this was a FEMA-sanctioned, mandatory property acquisition following the landslide? This can cause all kinds of issues. Especially if the owners don't want to move but the area is considered dangerous. A price must be agreed on but property values are often based on taxation records and can be way off market value. That said, $244,000 for a 3 bedroom on 1 acre seems pretty fair.

I think all of this could have led to JR and TR becoming very bitter and twisted about their situation. If the Shunn/Patenaude's were then confronting the brothers as they continued to come and go to a property that should be unoccupied, using the 'right-of-way' that crosses S/P's land...well, I can see how this situation could have exploded.

What a sad situation and a tragic loss of life.

Oh wow. So technically/legally, the brothers had no business there at all... Way to make your mole hill the Cascades. So sad for this family.

Ah, thanks for the above. This now makes sense regarding the squatter allegation.

My property is 10, 000 square foot which is almost 1 quarter of an acre.

So i still wonder how some people can own own acres while still being meth heads.

So since I live in California. I guess that I must pay more.

Or maybe I wasn't as blessed to have 3 acres passed down to me.
BBM

OT (in-joke)--You live in CA?! Why did I think you live on the east coast? In NYC? I've been charging you waaay too much to ship the chihuahua and meerkat tutus, my friend. And I've been sending them to the wrong addess!! I guess my meerkats and I will have to make a special delivery trip to make it up to you. :D

Back to the topic--I don't think tweakers actually own land. Or if they did, they lose it soon enough. They either rent, borrow or squat...and make it toxic...and murder people IMO. The marijuana growers sometimes own the land, ruin the environment and murder people,,,unless they are conscientious. It's a mess.

You could not pay me to live on land in these isolated areas now. We did 15 years of "back to the land" with goats, chickens and garden on 10 acres in the redwoods over thirty years ago. No illegal crop, but the stories we lived to tell: Neighbors' "crop" getting ripped off, people getting killed up the road and on adjoining property, a water ripoff by a neighbor that could have gotten ugly, our home burgled by low life neighbors...and on it went. The beauty ceased to be worth it. It has now become an even scarier culture.

I feel terrible for Pat and Monique. I'm sure, like us, they had no idea when they moved there about three years ago what they were getting into...and then the slide added to the problems! You always hope that the worst in people won't come out or that relatively minor problems can be solved in a civilized, mature way. But some "locals" aren't capable of that, sadly. So now two kind, lovely people are gone. It easily could have been us 35 years ago. :(
JMO

From May 2014:
While Reed feels fortunate to be alive, the slide didn’t leave him unscathed. The foundation of his home has been damaged. The floor is buckled. A 500-foot section of the narrow, gated dirt road that leads to his home is covered with debris and mud 3 to 4 feet high. His well has also been compromised.

Reed has been given an estimate of $16,000 to fix the road and $11,000 more to cap the broken well and drill a new one. He can’t afford those repairs. He said FEMA has given him $3,400 for damage to the house and $1,500 for the road.

Reed, who does construction work, plans to use most of the money to fix the road and will try to do most of the work himself.
http://old.seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023709258_mudslideedge1xml.html

From March 2016
Snohomish County also has moved ahead, using $8 million to buy 100 parcels in the slide area that are now unlivable, with the feds contributing money and the state helping out.

But that, too, is moving slowly, with only 34 parcels having been purchased.
Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/state/washington/article67494562.html#storylink=cpy

Did the slow and expensive repairs to the access road result in the county/Fema declaring the property a write-off? While at the same time wearing thin on the tempers of the neighbors?

According to property records the sale of the Reed home to Snohomish County closed on March 30, 2016. As the home was possibly to be demolished, perhaps the brothers kept returning to retrieve belongings/material beyond the closing date... this could have compounded whatever issues the two property owners were contesting in court...

A woman named Sherry Brewer, and her husband, may have been the last to hear from John Reed. Apparently Reed told them that he was in Ellensburg at a Subway. He was supposed to be at his old residence, as Sherry and her husband were there to help him tear it down (because the county had purchased it on March 30th.) She talked to him on Thursday and he said that he was in Oso the day before, and then left for Ellensburg (the same day S/P were reported missing.)

I can imagine that Reed was really charged up facing the prospect of tearing down a house that he obviously cared a lot about and had lived in for nearly 20 years. Maybe charged up enough to confront his neighbors one last time?

Can you just imagine if the Reed brothers were in Ellensburg on Thursday, and here it is the following Monday, that they would have had a four day head start on figuring out where to hide! That's sort of terrifying!

Starts at about 1:30
http://www.king5.com/news/crime/sheriff-update-on-missing-couple/139031723

I'm not familiar with Washington State at all, but what are the chances these two fugitives made it into Canada before it was even realized that the couple had been harmed ? I mean sure, after a manhunt began LE would have notified border security to be on the lookout for the red car, but they didn't know for sure what happened to this couple up until just a couple of days ago. Pat and Monique were reported missing almost a full week ago, which would have given the Reed brothers plenty of time to make their way out of the country before LE was able to piece things together. Shunns brother was proclaiming from the very beginning that one of their neighbors was missing and held the answers to their disappearance. I don't know how seriously law enforcement took that, but I know there were a few people in this forum that were poo-poo'ing the entire idea.

I'm not saying that these two isolationist couldn't have gone out into the wilderness, camouflaged the car, and started leading the life of mountain men. However, if one was to decide that it was time to go live off the land and pretend to be Grizzly Adams, you would need plenty of gear, shelter, fuel, and camping supplies in order to do it for very long. I really can't see them getting all of the required necessities into a 2-door Volkswagen coupe, not to mention the need for items such as ATV's and snowmobiles.

Since these murders appear to be somewhat premeditated, I have to assume that their escape was premeditated as well. "After we kill these two and hide their cars, this is where we're gonna go"..........

If they did make it across the border, would the Canadian government ship them back pretty readily or would they make it a big hassle ?

I'm not too sure that finding the vehicles and processing them is going to lead to much, other than maybe a fingerprint or two.

Assuming the vehicles were driven from the property to the place they were found by unauthorised drivers, both should have good traces of DNA.

A couple of things about residents (the Reeds and others) being isolationists:
-After the landslide, the properties bordering the river became vantage points to the disaster zone. One of the articles from 2014 mentioned the difficulties of people living on the northern rise of the river becoming inundated with look-seers, press etc.

-The gate with the 'no trespassing', 'do not enter', 'no slide access' signs is actually the gate that is found at the eastern terminus of Whitman road which gives to the Shunn/Patenchaude property and the access track that served the Reed property and others, some that have since been purchased by Snohomish County after the mudslide. The S/Ps may have had issues with other residents of the area that continued to use the track for river access. I am not sure of the laws pertaining to 'right of access' thoroughfares...are they limited to use by residents who need them to access their property and county workers? If so, the S/Ps may have been defending their property line in the courts against multiple folk in the area that continued to treat the track as a normal street to access the river...

ETA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_way

ETA: property boundaries map from Snohomish County - Shunn/Patenchaude = 2-005, Reed = 2-009
http://www.snoco.org/docs/sas/parcelmaps/t32n/r07e/320712.pdf
The Reeds also owned the other two 1-acre lots to the north and east of the lot that has the house on it ( 2-006 & 2-007) which were also bought by Snohomish County in March for $900 each
ETA: interestingly property parcel #2-008 was sold by Snohomish county to a resident that owns the house to the west of the S/Ps recently for $1000!

Here is a very interesting article by a local Snohomish County news magazine.

http://snocoreporter.com/missing-couple-arlington/

I live in Snohomish County and have a brother who lives in Darrington. I literally will not visit him because it weirds me out to drive alone or with my kids through that area. It's isolated, there is no cell reception, and the people are a little more... "Rough".

My brother loves it. We grew up in Kentucky and he said it is just like home. Still not a place for a woman to be, alone.

Now that this case came out, I'm finding out about the Freedom county Wack jobs, and the Lavender Moon society, it definitely makes me want to avoid it even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good article. Thanks for posting. So if the Reeds are not the defendants in the court case that was coming up, then why did they do this? Are they part of this Lavender Moon Society? I'm confused . Maybe someone can read it and help to clarify. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with Washington State at all, but what are the chances these two fugitives made it into Canada before it was even realized that the couple had been harmed ?

If they did make it across the border, would the Canadian government ship them back pretty readily or would they make it a big hassle ?

Not over a legitimate border crossing. Their criminal histories make them ineligible to even visit Canada. And the agents at the WA crossings strictly enforce this. People with 15yr old DUI's can't cross in on day trips. Also, if going to Canada from Arlington, it'd make more sense to travel north. The border is only an hour away. A route through Ellensburg doesn't make much sense. If they were found there though, Canada would send them back without incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good article. Thanks for posting. So if the Reeds are not the defendants in the court case that was coming up, then why did they do this? Are they part of this Lavender Moon Society? I'm confused . Maybe someone can read it and help to clarify. Thanks.
This whole angle is interesting! They seem to be a coop of liberty-fighters:
Over the years, some of the neighbors would have been leery of any government intrusion. In 2000, the Lavender Moon Society was listed as owning lot 8 at Steelhead Haven. The society was a "corporation sole," a legal creation some property rights activists were using at the time to resist government regulation. The neighborhood later became home to Thom Satterlee, who died in the March 22 slide. He was best known for trying to create Freedom County, a place where state growth-management laws wouldn't keep people from using their land as they saw fit.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20140413/NEWS01/140419696

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinCaseBreakGlass
Back