WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She may not have to file taxes if she hasn’t sold any real estate and only makes a few hundred dollars from her online store. She also may not meet the threshold (income wise) to have to pay back student loans yet. Who knows! Would certainly be a bit peculiar if she was actively ignoring her taxes and student loans. I thought those two questions were off the wall. I also don’t think her followers can actually find out the answers to those two questions unless the other lost hikers’ parents come out and answer them. Neither income taxes nor student loans are public records.
This is turning into a big scapegoat mission. I understand mom is hurting, but how about some positive reinforcement and recognition for the efforts that have been expended. Catch more flies with honey, as they say.

Oh jeez! Among other questions she asks:
“How long is the average search for someone who doesn't pay their taxes?
How long is the average search for someone who doesn't pay their student loans?”

Is she saying her daughter didn’t pay taxes or her student loans? I think she’s barking up the wrong tree. Many young adults like Samantha don’t pay taxes and/or student loans because they don’t have full time employment yet. I would imagine that when LE started their investigation into her disappearance, they asked about these things to see if she voluntarily took off to avoid responsibilities. Her mother seems to forget that there was a 21-22 day official search. That is more than double what most other lost hikers have had in the past.

I was confused too but she posted a new video and she means how long do the various agencies look for tax evaders, etc. but won't put as much effort in searching for missing hikers. (Just paraphrasing her mother, I think the search for Sam was more extensive than most).

This is turning into a big scapegoat mission. I understand mom is hurting, but how about some positive reinforcement and recognition for the efforts that have been expended. Catch more flies with honey, as they say.
I just said something like this to my friend. People don’t like being attacked. Why would all these people want to keep helping if she’s throwing stones at them all? They’ve been out there for almost 40 days! These people have families and jobs too. She’s been in PA... if she can do it better than the professionals, maybe she could come back to the mountain. I’m sure that sounds mean, and I know she’s hurting, but my feelings would be massively hurt and aggravated if I was out there searching for weeks and still being attacked for “not doing enough.”

I was confused too but she posted a new video and she means how long do the various agencies look for tax evaders, etc. but won't put as much effort in searching for missing hikers. (Just paraphrasing her mother, I think the search for Sam was more extensive than most).

This was my interpretation, too. The IRS will hound people for years who owe past due taxes and loan people will track down and find people who owe student loans, but SAR stopped searching for Sam after three weeks, and she doesn't think that's right.

This was my interpretation, too. The IRS will hound people for years who owe past due taxes and loan people will track down and find people who owe student loans, but SAR stopped searching for Sam after three weeks, and she doesn't think that's right.
The amounts of money and resources expended in finding a tax evader versus a person lost on a mountain can’t be compared IMO. They don’t even come close.

The amounts of money and resources expended in finding a tax evader versus a person lost on a mountain can’t be compared IMO. They don’t even come close.
The thing is, if you are a person charged with finding missing people, and solving missing persons cases, that is the job. You don't get to find ways to not do the job. That's the problem in the US in nearly every human services profession. If the job is "too dangerous", someone who does not find the job "too dangerous" should be doing that job. There are warrants served and people hunted down for bail jumping for minor crimes as if they were public enemy #1. It is so obvious that our nation's priorities for solving actual crime is completely backwards. I understand all of the costs that are incurred in training people, dogs, staff, etc. Then it should be used for what it was intended. Nothing that saves lives and puts dangerous people behind bars should be "too expensive", considering the amount of money thrown at building prisons and housing minor criminals in them. That money and effort would be better spent training and using the best methods possible for life or death events. moo

I took it as more of the fact that they will continually search for someone who have big tax liens or for mild offenders (she said she knows it’s not the same) but they basically have given up on finding her daughter. That was the way I heard it.

I agree. It seems she is saying “My daughter is exemplary, and you gave up on the search. But you’ll keep searching for someone who doesn’t pay their debts.” I took it as a statement of a very distraught, angry mother using hyperbole, not a question.

One little detail that bugs me about the possibility of her falling taking a selfie -is that in all of those pics on her Instagram, she is not wearing any gear. She is in some precarious looking places but you can tell her method is to put the backpack down and then take the pic. So if that happened, you would think her gear would be somewhere visible.

Also think it’s realky weird about the cell phone. They smash easily but usually still power on.

Just throwing out things, this case bugs me. I wish they would’ve considered the possibility of an abduction or foul play.

One little detail that bugs me about the possibility of her falling taking a selfie -is that in all of those pics on her Instagram, she is not wearing any gear. She is in some precarious looking places but you can tell her method is to put the backpack down and then take the pic. So if that happened, you would think her gear would be somewhere visible.

Also think it’s realky weird about the cell phone. They smash easily but usually still power on.

Just throwing out things, this case bugs me. I wish they would’ve considered the possibility of an abduction or foul play.
Agree. Now depending on how many daredevil taking scenery pics she already has from previous visits to that summit.

We only need to guess the most obvious place she would want to take a daredevil picture next. Maybe a hidden den or on top the highest peak or something. Idk

Her boyfriend is trying his best to think her route. But he needs to think about her pictures she would want to take and then have groups cover those various possibles from a photographer point of view.

I hope that makes sense.:(

On July 4, 2012, Paul Michael LeMaitre disappeared during the running of the Mount Marathon in Seward, Alaska. The race trail is about 3.1-3.5 miles, and the elevation of the mountain is 3022 feet. LeMaitre was last seen about 200 feet from the top. His body has never been found despite extensive searches. This was during a race that had something like 800 entrants. If someone can disappear during those circumstances, it is not a stretch of the imagination to believe that someone hiking alone in at higher elevations could disappear as well. I don't think foul play was involved.

On July 4, 2012, Paul Michael LeMaitre disappeared during the running of the Mount Marathon in Seward, Alaska. The race trail is about 3.1-3.5 miles, and the elevation of the mountain is 3022 feet. LeMaitre was last seen about 200 feet from the top. His body has never been found despite extensive searches. This was during a race that had something like 800 entrants. If someone can disappear during those circumstances, it is not a stretch of the imagination to believe that someone hiking alone in at higher elevations could disappear as well. I don't think foul play was involved.
I agree with this completely. Last winter my daughter basically fell off a cliff while skiing (she’s totally fine). But even with all of the other skiers around, nobody saw her fall. The only reason anyone knew it had happened was that the people that were getting on the lift with her couldn’t find her (she fell near the mid- mountain lift). A fall can happen so quickly and I think it’s pretty easy to go unnoticed if no one directly has eyes on you.

Last edited:
I agree with this completely. Last winter my daughter basically fell off a cliff while skiing (she’s totally fine). But even with all of the other skiers around, nobody saw her fall. The only reason anyone knew it had happened was that the people that getting on the lift with her couldn’t find her (she fell near the lift). A fall can happen so quickly and I think it’s pretty easy to go unnoticead if no one directly has eyes on you.
I am glad your daughter was all right.

And the IRS doesn't spend a lot of money "finding" a tax evader! They send letters and then file a lien. There's no massive search for a person, they take your assets. Same for student loans. This is all movie villain type of thinking, not real life.

I think if they'd found any kind of clues or evidence about anything at all related to her, they'd have followed up. What kind of clues or evidence do you believe they missed finding?

She could have fallen while she was scrambling to a vantage point where she wanted to take a photo. Since her phone seems to have been on while she was hiking, I think the battery would have drained by the time the plane was out searching.

I am glad your daughter was all right.
It’s not even the only time she has fallen. A few years ago we were hiking in Acadia and she was right in front of me and the ground gave way underneath her. We were right over the Atlantic. She was “caught” by a bush about 6 feet down. It really shook us all up—it could have ended terribly. It can happen so fast!!

That's a very interesting case, thanks for bringing it up.

I found this info as well:

LeMaire's wife had sued race organizers for $5 million for negligence for causing his death. She settled for $20,000, which was only offered by the insurance company in order to avoid the burden of a lengthy trial, which she would lose.
LeMaitre Mount Marathon case settled for $20,000, but bitter feelings persist

This is a very good reason why no one wants to get involved without insurance coverage.

Although SAR and others in the outdoor community have great empathy for those who lose their lives, and are lost to loved ones, outdoor adventure is still an activity you enter at your own risk. The extreme example is Everest, where climbers walk past the bodies of people who didn't make it in past expeditions. It's too difficult and expensive to bring them down.

Growing up in the mountainous part of Washington I follow most if not all of the missing hikers. The amount of effort put into finding Sam has been extraordinary. Comparing it to the search for a tax dodger or criminal is insulting to those in SAR. Those type of "searches" are electronic, and may be no more than a phone or record check once a week as every agent has tons of different cases. It's nothing at all like a 24/7 physical search for a missing hiker. How SAR works - good article. Inside the Art of Backcountry Search and Rescue

I just said something like this to my friend. People don’t like being attacked. Why would all these people want to keep helping if she’s throwing stones at them all? They’ve been out there for almost 40 days! These people have families and jobs too. She’s been in PA... if she can do it better than the professionals, maybe she could come back to the mountain. I’m sure that sounds mean, and I know she’s hurting, but my feelings would be massively hurt and aggravated if I was out there searching for weeks and still being attacked for “not doing enough.”

Yes!!! This ^^^^^
Why isn’t she there? Why does she get to sit at home still working her MLM business earning big bucks, while others sacrifice their work time and family time in many cases? Where is Sam’s Dad (I assume mom’s husband)? I wish he would or hope he is trying to talk to her and help her get control and be realistic.

The fact she is totally sure Sam is still alive and bashes everyone trying to find her has me very concerned for her mental stability and well being. I truly hope they find her before the snow sets in and they cannot search anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l