Found Safe WA - Seraya Aung Harmon, 2, Pullman, 29 May 2024 *father and daughter went on a fishing trip in Montana but did not return* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I still don't see what they thought they would gain from crossing over into Mexico, instead of just staying in the US. There's really not a whole lot of difference when it comes to jurisdictional issues if you're an American wanted fugitive. Obviously, Mexico has an extradition treaty w/the US and honors it, and Mexican authorities seem to cooperate with American LE and will work with them without much trouble, imo.

There doesn't seem to be much practical difference whether they're caught in Mexico or in any American state. And I thought this was common knowledge. The only people for whom running to Mexico might be a good plan are those who have family or friends living in Mexico and who would be willing to help. But still, that presents a lot if problems too, and it still wouldn't be safe for them to run around freely, as if they weren't on the lam. I think it would be a pretty limited life.

But if you don't have family and other resources you would need in country, imo, it's a terrible plan. I don't see any benefits to it these days. Probably same with Canada really. If you could somehow get yourself to a non-extradition country, that's different. But that's a much bigger move than Mexico or Canada, and not just in distance, but culturally as well. I think the days of fugitives being able to successfully run from their crimes by hopping the border are behind us nowadays. I'm surprised no one talked them out of doing it. Maybe they didn't tell anyone, but I doubt that. All he ended up doing by leaving the country was make his charges more serious.

Aung made his first federal court appearance this morning:

"From the get-go, we were able to harness all of our local and federal resources to really effectively identify where the child was located. And then move quickly on these federal charges."

The United States is also asking for Aung to be detained until trial.

There is a preliminary hearing as well as a motion for detention hearing scheduled for Thursday, August 8 at 1:30 p.m. "

More at link:

What was that sentence we were fed -- good moral character? Federal. International. Kidnapping. Charges.

Thankfully he was detained before he could make additional, worse decisions. Forget his character, his judgment leaves him a danger to himself and others.

JMO

Hey Everyone,
Remember the days when I used to come on and whine and ask for money? Remember how annoying all those ads were on the forum? The good news is that thanks to our partnership with Othram, we are free of my whining and those obnoxious ads.
If you like the fact that we are ad-free then please consider making a monthly donation to DNA Solves.com CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR A MONTHLY DONATION TO DNA SOLVES
By subscribing and making a monthly donation, you will be helping the families finally get the answers they deserve.
The amazing people at DNA Solves/Othram care deeply about finding the families of the unidentified.
Even 5 dollars a month would go a long way to finding the families of the unidentified.
Please do not discuss this on this thread. CLICK HERE if you would like to discuss further or have any questions.
Thank you,
Tricia Griffith
Manager/Websleuths.com

AUG 2, 2024
[...]

The complaint further alleges that on July 4, 2024, Aung, the victim, and Aung’s fiancé, Nadia Cole, were contacted by Mexican officials in Mexico. Cole later was deported from Mexico to the United States, while Aung and the victim remained in Mexico at that time. Three days later, on July 7, 2024, Aung and the victim were encountered by Mexican officials near the United States-Mexico border in Nogales, Mexico. Aung and the victim were then deported by Mexican officials to the port of entry near Nogales, Arizona, where they were presented to CBP officials. CBP then took custody of both Aung and the victim. CBP also detained Aung on an outstanding felony warrant issued out of Whitman County, Washington for custodial interference first degree.

“Children deserve to live in a world where they are safe, surrounded by adults who love and care for them,” stated U.S. Attorney Waldref. “Our office prioritizes offenses against our community’s youngest and most vulnerable victims and will continue to aggressively prosecute those who harm children.”

[...]

Also see: Pullman man faces federal judge on international kidnapping charges after arrest in Mexico

The complaint further alleges that on July 4, 2024, Aung, the victim, and Aung’s fiancé, Nadia Cole, were contacted by Mexican officials in Mexico. Cole later was deported from Mexico to the United States, while Aung and the victim remained in Mexico at that time. Three days later, on July 7, 2024, Aung and the victim were encountered by Mexican officials near the United States-Mexico border in Nogales, Mexico.
I'm still really confused about the timeline. They were contacted by Mexican LE on July 4 but Nadia was detained and Aaron and the victim were allowed to go, even though Nadia had all of their passports?

I'm still really confused about the timeline. They were contacted by Mexican LE on July 4 but Nadia was detained and Aaron and the victim were allowed to go, even though Nadia had all of their passports?
Wellllllllllll...the July 4 date does match up with the statement her parents issued. No mention there of her being detained, however. They say she was safely transported and voluntarily came back to her parents. I guess that was after being deported (per the DOJ). :rolleyes: MOO

JUL 9, 2024
On July 4th, our daughter, Nadia Cole, was found safe and unharmed by Mexico police and was safely transported to the border to re-enter the U.S. where she voluntarily came back to her parents. Since her return, Nadia has been fully cooperating with authorities to help locate and aid in the safe return of Aaron Aung and 2-year-old Seraya Aung Harmon. She is recovering from her ordeal at a secure private location.

Wellllllllllll...the July 4 date does match up with the statement her parents issued. No mention there of her being detained, however. They say she was safely transported and voluntarily came back to her parents. I guess that was after being deported (per the DOJ). :rolleyes: MOO

JUL 9, 2024
On July 4th, our daughter, Nadia Cole, was found safe and unharmed by Mexico police and was safely transported to the border to re-enter the U.S. where she voluntarily came back to her parents. Since her return, Nadia has been fully cooperating with authorities to help locate and aid in the safe return of Aaron Aung and 2-year-old Seraya Aung Harmon. She is recovering from her ordeal at a secure private location.
Yeah I kinda threw in detained as a precursor to "deported" because she'd have to be detained first, right?

USA v. Aung

Criminal Court Docket Sheet

Eastern District of Washington

2:2024-mj-00442 (waed)

08/02/2024
Consent to Appearance by Legal Intern by Aaron Aung (1). (LTR, Case Administrator)

08/02/2024
ASSERTION OF FIFTH AND SIXTH AMENDMENT RIGHTS by Aaron Aung (1). (LTR, Case Administrator)

08/02/2024
ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF NOTICE OF RIGHTS - CRIMINAL COMPLAINT by Aaron Aung (1). (LTR, Case Administrator)

08/02/2024
ORDER FOLLOWING INITIAL APPEARANCE ON CRIMINAL COMPLAINT AND SETTING PRELIMINARY, DETENTION, AND STATUS HEARINGS **USM Action Required** as to Aaron Aung (1). Preliminary, Detention and Status Hearings set for 8/8/2024 at 01:30 PM in Spokane Courtroom 740. Signed by Magistrate Judge Goeke. (LTR, Case Administrator)

08/02/2024
Minute Entry for proceedings held before Magistrate Judge Goeke: Initial Appearance on Complaint as to Aaron Aung (1) held on 8/2/2024. (Reported/Recorded by: Digital Recording/S-740. (MO, Courtroom Deputy)

08/02/2024
ORDER APPOINTING FEDERAL DEFENDER as to Aaron Aung (1). On the basis of the sworn financial statement, the Court finds Defendant is financially unable to retain counsel. IT IS ORDERED the Federal Defenders of Eastern Washington are appointed to represent Defendant pursuant to Title 18 United States Code Sec. 3006A. Text entry; no PDF document will issue. This text-only entry constitutes the Court Order on the matter. Signed by Magistrate Judge Goeke. (DD, Judicial Assistant)

08/01/2024
MOTION for Detention by USA as to Aaron Aung (1).

08/01/2024
NOTICE OF HEARING - By Court (USM Action Required) as to Aaron Aung (1). Text entry; no PDF attached. Initial Appearance on Complaint set for 8/2/2024 at 10:00 AM in Spokane Courtroom 740 before Magistrate Judge Goeke. (MO, Courtroom Deputy)

USA v. Aung

Criminal Court Docket Sheet

Eastern District of Washington

2:2024-mj-00442 (waed)

08/02/2024
Consent to Appearance by Legal Intern by Aaron Aung (1). (LTR, Case Administrator)

08/02/2024
ASSERTION OF FIFTH AND SIXTH AMENDMENT RIGHTS by Aaron Aung (1). (LTR, Case Administrator)

08/02/2024
ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF NOTICE OF RIGHTS - CRIMINAL COMPLAINT by Aaron Aung (1). (LTR, Case Administrator)

08/02/2024
ORDER FOLLOWING INITIAL APPEARANCE ON CRIMINAL COMPLAINT AND SETTING PRELIMINARY, DETENTION, AND STATUS HEARINGS **USM Action Required** as to Aaron Aung (1). Preliminary, Detention and Status Hearings set for 8/8/2024 at 01:30 PM in Spokane Courtroom 740. Signed by Magistrate Judge Goeke. (LTR, Case Administrator)

08/02/2024
Minute Entry for proceedings held before Magistrate Judge Goeke: Initial Appearance on Complaint as to Aaron Aung (1) held on 8/2/2024. (Reported/Recorded by: Digital Recording/S-740. (MO, Courtroom Deputy)

08/02/2024
ORDER APPOINTING FEDERAL DEFENDER as to Aaron Aung (1). On the basis of the sworn financial statement, the Court finds Defendant is financially unable to retain counsel. IT IS ORDERED the Federal Defenders of Eastern Washington are appointed to represent Defendant pursuant to Title 18 United States Code Sec. 3006A. Text entry; no PDF document will issue. This text-only entry constitutes the Court Order on the matter. Signed by Magistrate Judge Goeke. (DD, Judicial Assistant)

08/01/2024
MOTION for Detention by USA as to Aaron Aung (1).

08/01/2024
NOTICE OF HEARING - By Court (USM Action Required) as to Aaron Aung (1). Text entry; no PDF attached. Initial Appearance on Complaint set for 8/2/2024 at 10:00 AM in Spokane Courtroom 740 before Magistrate Judge Goeke. (MO, Courtroom Deputy)

It's curious he's asserted his 5th and 6th ammendment rights. The right to not testify if it incriminates him, and his right to a speedy & impartial jury trial. It sure sounds like he might just want this over with, without delay. This might be the smartest choice he's made in the last couple of months.

jmo

Aaron may have invoked his sixth amendment rights because it also allows for the right to an attorney. I see that he claimed he couldn’t afford to pay one and so will be provided one by the court. That’s guaranteed by the sixth.

Whoa, check this protection order out against another Aung family member, filed on July 17:

ETA a protection order filed against Samara by Aaron’s family was denied on July 31.
This is fascinating. Looks like a retaliation from the Aungs - SLH's protection order was granted, then the Aungs filed for a protection order afterwards. Samara's original order was reissued the same day as their petition against her was denied.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placebo
Back