WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying the couple lied about letting her in? Maybe killed her and fed her body to some local wild pigs?

Where did you get that she felt the couple lied? She said she can't believe someone would open their door to a stranger like that. I can't either. In these times, that's a pretty damned risky thing to do. So I stand by what I said earlier --- there's no way this couple would have allowed her to drive off with that little boy if there were any signs she'd been drinking.

Hmmm...

According to RS:

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

Sounds like she must have left a message for him on his cell, but by HIS account, he spoke to her.

Now why would he lie about such a thing, hmmm?

You still have the question of how he found her. Three hours later she was still wandering around the general area where the van was found. LE would know if he got another call later telling him where they could meet. If she made it all the way to Castle Rock and met him there then did he go back up to Olympia and ditch the van? Very tough to reconcile all those pieces of info.

I think we get a very warped sense of what happens to people here.

Witness the focus on Katherine Huether recently - coverage claiming she had been murdered, frantic discussion about a mysterious man, and it turned out that she, well, fell off a cliff on a hike.

Or Sarah Rogers; the fingers were pointed at the husband, and then it turns out she died from exposure not too far from the car crash.

Both the threads on these poor people (I hate to use this phrase) died, and drop out of page 1, because they are the cases that turned out to be accidents, rotten luck, or something much, much more boring than someone hunting her down at night.

IMHO.

Lt. Barton had an alibi, too.

http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.com/2008/06/oh-police-lt-who-had-his-wife-vickie.html

So I stand by what I said earlier --- there's no way this couple would have allowed her to drive off with that little boy if there were any signs she'd been drinking.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around that also. If someone came to my door, asked to use the phone, was drunk, and had a child with them my first response would be to let her use the phone but have the husband or my kid call the police from their cell in another room.

This disappearance is just way bizzare. May the Lord help that little guy if he's trying to find his way and help a sick mother.

You still have the question of how he found her. Three hours later she was still wandering around the general area where the van was found. LE would know if he got another call later telling him where they could meet. If she made it all the way to Castle Rock and met him there then did he go back up to Olympia and ditch the van? Very tough to reconcile all those pieces of info.

The officer who responded to the call said he had a difficult time finding the road where the van was abandoned, even in the daylight. Even though he is local LE. RS, on the other hand, stated he drove "immediately" to that spot and took photos. He also questioned why she would turn down a "dead end road". What makes him think she knew it was a dead end?

Hello All!

I was wondering did RS try to contact her between the time he was let out early from Scout Training at 4:30 and 6:45 when he states she contacted him??

I'm sure if he would have contacted her within that time he would have realized that either she didn't have her phone or something was wrong.

I would think that he would have at least tried to contact her to let her know that he was leaving out earlier than expected and to make sure that everything was ok with them. That doesn't make sense to me that he would just leave out early and not try to contact her to let know.

Some quotes from Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office.

Cops Have No Clue Where Shantina Smiley And Her Son Are
Smiley and her Son Were Last Seen Asking For Directions in Olympia, Wash.

March 16, 2010

"We don't have a suspect because we don't know if it's a crime," said Mealy. "Our options are open. We're not saying it's foul play and we're not saying it's not, and we're not saying she didn't voluntary leave."

"We can't explain what the hell she was doing out there, if she was even out there at all," the lieutenant said.

Divers searched the waters for a second day Tuesday, but found nothing.

Asked whether it's possible that they got lost in the nearby woods, Mealy said that there are too many houses with porch lights on for them to not have been able to get help.

"This woman had no enemies, no history of domestic abuse and no spousal abuse. From all indications she was a very stable woman, a very loving woman," said Mealy. "And she had a job as a medical coder."

"I don't have any freaking clue what happened."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shantina-smileys-disappearance-stumps-cops/story?id=10116896

Missing Woman's Family 'Really Concerned'
Woman, 8-Year-Old Son Last Spotted In Olympia

UPDATED: 6:12 am PDT March 17, 2010

Thurston County sheriff's deputies said they found no sign of violence or foul play around the minivan. The disappearance is considered suspicious, but investigators said they don't have any suspects or persons of interest.

http://www.kptv.com/news/22860661/detail.html

The officer who responded to the call said he had a difficult time finding the road where the van was abandoned, even in the daylight. Even though he is local LE. RS, on the other hand, stated he drove "immediately" to that spot and took photos. He also questioned why she would turn down a "dead end road". What makes him think she knew it was a dead end?
He says he was with her stepfather from 7:40 on. He says they searched the Olympia area late that night, only got a few hours of sleep and set out again the next morning. I know it looks like he lied about the phone call but maybe it was some kind of mix-up. Anyway, it looks like it comes down to the stepdad corroborating his alibi.

He says he was with her stepfather from 7:40 on. He says they searched the Olympia area late that night, only got a few hours of sleep and set out again the next morning. I know it looks like he lied about the phone call but maybe it was some kind of mix-up. Anyway, it looks like it comes down to the stepdad corroborating his alibi.

Well, for someone who was so detailed in describing his every step along the way, that seems to me to be deliberate. Why lie about the call?

Hmmm...

According to RS:

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

Sounds like she must have left a message for him on his cell, but by HIS account, he spoke to her.

Now why would he lie about such a thing, hmmm?

I don't see a lie. I've been going through news reports again this morning (actually looking to see if they've changed their minds and will be doing ground searches today) and I haven't seen him say specifically that he spoke to her. His wording could easily be a message she left.

Do you have any quotes to support your accusations that he lied?

I don't see a lie. I've been going through news reports again this morning (actually looking to see if they've changed their minds and will be doing ground searches today) and I haven't seen him say specifically that he spoke to her. His wording could easily be a message she left.

Do you have any quotes to support your accusations that he lied?

Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were:

It's clear he's saying he talked to her when she called.

So you're saying the couple lied about letting her in? Maybe killed her and fed her body to some local wild pigs?

Uhhh, no.

My point was in today's day and age I am surprised by open and trusting people who open their doors to disoriented strangers and welcome them into their home.

I wouldn't even consider it.

How could he leave her a message of he knows she did not have her cell phone?

It's not clear to me that he's saying he talked to her. His wording could easily mean he left a message.

And then she left another message, right?

No, I'm sorry. It's clear he is claiming he spoke to her, and when she asked him to bring her phone along (remember, he wasn't supposed to be out of his training until 6:30), he told her where he was.

BTW, according to him, she called twice around 4:15 to tell him she was heading out. If the training ended within 15 minutes of those two calls, did he have no clue that he would be leaving soon? He didn't realize the session was drawing to a close?

Shantina Smiley: Mom Suffered Alcoholic Relapse Before Disappearing With Son
Smiley's Last Hours Before Disappearance Showed Bizarre, Erratic Behavior

By EMILY FRIEDMAN and SARAH NETTER
March 17, 2010

The bizarre behavior of a Washington mother who disappeared Saturday with her young son came just days after she suffered an apparent alcoholic relapse.

The worries of Shantina Smiley's fiance are fueled by concerns that the recovering alcoholic has slid back into addiction just days before she vanished on her way to visit her stepfather.

"I don't know how I'm able to keep going right now," Robb Simmons told "Good Morning America" today.

Simmons said he last talked to Smiley Saturday afternoon before she and her 8-year-old son Azriel Carver set out for her stepfather's home, about two hours away.

"She said she's getting ready to hit the road and I said 'Okay I'll see you on the road,'" Simmons said. He expected to catch with them so they could drive down together, but he never saw them again.
"We could be the last people to have seen her. Like, ever," resident Taylor Williams said. "I really hope that's not the case."

Williams said Smiley didn't appear to be drunk or otherwise impaired, but seemed nervous and looked as if she'd been crying. She told the family she'd left the highway to find her son a bathroom.
Mealy was baffled how Smiley's car ended up in a pond at the end of a tiny road through the woods.

"I couldn't even find the access road, and it was light out," Mealy said. "You really have to know where it is. It's the kind of road you don't want to take because it's so steep and narrow."

"It's very rare for someone who doesn't know the area to wind up where her van wound up," Mealy said.

more here

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/shantina-smiley-suffered-alcoholic-replase-fiance/story?id=10122149

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery