WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The officer who responded to the call said he had a difficult time finding the road where the van was abandoned, even in the daylight. Even though he is local LE. RS, on the other hand, stated he drove "immediately" to that spot and took photos. He also questioned why she would turn down a "dead end road". What makes him think she knew it was a dead end?

They pulled the van out at an open spot on the beach where a tow truck could get to, not back up the steep and overgrown road she went down. That is where the photos are taken (as you can see it is not a sloped area or difficult to access, it is the accessible but private beach). It is not odd that he went straight to that location.

And my interpretation is she is supposedly looking for the freeway but is off in a remote private beach area trying to turn around after going down a dead end road. After spending four hours lost in a ten mile square area it is not logical, but nothing in this case is.

"She said she's getting ready to hit the road and I said 'Okay I'll see you on the road,'" Simmons said. He expected to catch with them so they could drive down together, but he never saw them again.

According to RS, she called him at 4:15 to tell him she was leaving. He says his training was scheduled to end at 6:30.

How did he expect to "catch" them when they had a 2 hour and 15 minute lead?

Must be a hell of a cycle he rides...

Just keep talking, Robb.

They pulled the van out at an open spot on the beach where a tow truck could get to, not back up the steep and overgrown road she went down. That is where the photos are taken (as you can see it is not a sloped area or difficult to access, it is the accessible but private beach). It is not odd that he went straight to that location.

And my interpretation is she is supposedly looking for the freeway but is off in a remote private beach area trying to turn around after going down a dead end road. After spending four hours lost in a ten mile square area it is not logical, but nothing in this case is.

BBM.

Olympia, Wash., police haven't ruled out foul play."I couldn't even find the access road, and it was light out," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office. "You really have to know where it is. It's the kind of road you don't want to take because it's so steep and narrow."

"It's very rare for someone who doesn't know the area to wind up where her van wound up," Mealy said.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - WA WA- Shantina Smiley,29, & son Azriel Carver,8, car found near Olympia 14-Mar-10

So the question to me is, why is she acting out of character.
Some suggest a head injury, as that is what Az said, and he felt the need to explain his mom's behavior to perfect strangers in a diner, who they then let her get in a van and drive away. wow.....

Reason for head injury?
I do not think he is used to making excuses for his mom's behavior, since they live in this perfect world of scouting, wonderful family, blah blah blah.

The strangers don't see any unusual behavior, they would have smelled booze. they state she is nervous due to being lost.

I wonder how many peeps would have said, "You've been lost a long time, I will let you follow me and get you to the freeway myself?"
I think I would have done that. I hope I would have.

moo

Respectfully snipped...

there is NO way those people in the diner could have or would have stopped her....that is simply monday morning quarterback second guessing

Hindsight is great...but

she was not fall down drunk...they did NOT see her fall in the parking lot (not until they looked at the tapes later)

there is NO crime in ordering food, paying for it and deciding to leave before it is ready

and who would have her "follow" them?? IMHO she was lucky those people even let her in their home to use their phone

she was apparently NOT fall down drunk....and what and how would you expect people to do ?? call 911..and say.....a woman paid for a corn dog and left without it??/

911 would not even send a cop car out

there is such a thing as free will....she is an adult...she can do what she wants

I wouldn't have done anything at the diner...and I would not have opened the door to her at my house

If I was out and she asked me to use my cell phone in a well lighted area, yeah I would do that

I don't have superpowers , I would not forsee that she was going to drive into the "sound" or whatever

here is some more hindsight from me>>>:banghead:

It is too bad her family could not get her into a rehab if things were really bad....but of course with cuts in mental health and rehabs the days of getting help like that are pretty much gone except for celebs who can go to some retreat in Malibu or Betty Ford etc

At this point, fiance has given so many inconsistent statements, I can't keep up!! :waitasec:

Couple that with her odd, erratic behavior.....I don't know what to believe. :banghead:

I'm just sorry for whatever hell little Az is going through. If he's still alive...

I have a hard time wrapping my head around that also. If someone came to my door, asked to use the phone, was drunk, and had a child with them my first response would be to let her use the phone but have the husband or my kid call the police from their cell in another room.

You are falling into the "I would do X, therefore everyone should/would do X."

If you are saying the couple didn't let her in, they apparently did. Police haven't said that the call wasn't made.
If you're saying that she didn't leave the house, she did. Verified with cameras.
If you're saying that the couple didn't think she was impaired, she sure as hell looked impaired on the videotape! Perhaps not drunk but "not all there."

The officer who responded to the call said he had a difficult time finding the road where the van was abandoned, even in the daylight. Even though he is local LE. RS, on the other hand, stated he drove "immediately" to that spot and took photos.

"Immediately" means he went there right away. "Immediately" does not mean he found the road easily, or knew exactly where it was, though I'd assume that LE would have told him "hey, it's a really hard to find road, you have to look here."

He also questioned why she would turn down a "dead end road". What makes him think she knew it was a dead end?

Maybe there was a sign saying "dead end road"?

A few things I would like to point out.

1.) She never told anyone she called what city or area she was (as far as what has been reported). The people who let her use the phone would have told her so she could relay the info over the phone.

2) She never used debit/credit cards...Paid Cash.

3) She was in a remote area...What are the odds that hey would have suveillance cameras?

4) She made herself very visible (ie...leaving the hazard lights on). Was she waiting for someone and wanted them to see her...IT seems she was driving around wasting away time.

5)Have they checked the empty vacation homes?

You are falling into the "I would do X, therefore everyone should/would do X."

If you are saying the couple didn't let her in, they apparently did. Police haven't said that the call wasn't made.
If you're saying that she didn't leave the house, she did. Verified with cameras.
If you're saying that the couple didn't think she was impaired, she sure as hell looked impaired on the videotape! Perhaps not drunk but "not all there."

On what videotape did she appear "impaired"? Link please.

A few things I would like to point out.

1.) She never told anyone she called what city or area she was (as far as what has been reported). The people who let her use the phone would have told her so she could relay the info over the phone.

2) She never used debit/credit cards...Paid Cash.

3) She was in a remote area...What are the odds that hey would have suveillance cameras?

4) She made herself very visible (ie...leaving the hazard lights on). Was she waiting for someone and wanted them to see her...IT seems she was driving around wasting away time.

5)Have they checked the empty vacation homes?

RS claims she told him she was in Olympia when she called at 6:45. During the phone call police say he never answered.

I wonder if it has been determined that she did take luggage/bags with clothing etc. with her? Did she in fact have a purse with her? Who could answer that? Her fiance? His daughter?

"Immediately" means he went there right away. "Immediately" does not mean he found the road easily, or knew exactly where it was, though I'd assume that LE would have told him "hey, it's a really hard to find road, you have to look here."

Maybe there was a sign saying "dead end road"?

That would have made it much easier for LE to find, don't ya think?

I've seen 2 different views of them in a store. One, she walks in, smiles and then just stands there. Az tries to hand her something, and she just stands there. The other shows a brief shot of her at the counter. Is this the same store?? Looks like the same clerk..

On what videotape did she appear "impaired"? Link please.

Her in the gas station/convenience store? You didn't think she looked "impaired"? :waitasec:

I am not as sharp as all of you therefore I am confused. He talked to her 4:10 or 4:45 (saw both times) she was leaving. He was scheduled to end training at 6:30 but ended 4:30- He should have told her he was almost finished (did he??) He states the last time he talked to her was when she called to tell him she was leaving. He states he talked to her when he was making minor repairs- he told her where he was at etc. Why did they not meet up?? When he was talking about getting finished early, he states that he thought he would catch up with her soon and they could ride together. How was he going to do that since he was on a bike(was it a bike or motorcycle) I do not think he had the opportunity to do anything to her since she was seen on videos but I wonder why his story is not adding up. Something is not right with his stories.

I would like to hear from the step father if he knew she was coming for a visit. Maybe the trip was not planned, maybe she was drinking, taking her pills, decided to take off, called him, he ended his session, took off after her. Maybe they had been arguing and he does not want anyone to know there were kinks in their relationship?? I am so confused, it looks like she really did not want to find I-5 and go to step-fathers, maybe she did not know what she wanted----so sad for the little boy.

That would have made it much easier for LE to find, don't ya think?

Unless there were multiple DE roads, and LE was trying to find the correct one.

Or the sign wasn't at the entrance but a few feet in, not clearly visible from the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18