WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read my statement before the quote:

I mean no offense, but for whatever reason, you appear to be focusing on the fiance at the exclusion of (as SuziQ points out) more likely scenarios. Or even possible ones.
Yes, I saw that. I'd like to see Mealy clarify if RS answered that call.

No offense. Just pointing out inconsistencies I've seen in his accounts. He seems to be all over the media. It would seem he'd get his story straight by now.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011366973_apwamomsonmissing1stldwritethru.html

"The search and rescue operation for the Washington mother who vanished with her son last weekend has been called off.

Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's office says detectives are still working on the case, but they are no longer searching the woods or the water for 29-year-old Shantina Smiley and 8-year-old Azriel Carver.

Mealy says investigators are still working on a number of different theories, and haven't eliminated any possibilities.

Mealy says they will find Smiley and her son. It's just a matter and when and where. And he's still hoping they will find her alive and well."

How the heck could the fiance have pulled this off? Is the step-father in on it, also? He would lie and provide an alibi for the fiance?? Seems pretty far fetched....

Maybe they're not really *missing*.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011366973_apwamomsonmissing1stldwritethru.html

"The search and rescue operation for the Washington mother who vanished with her son last weekend has been called off.

Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's office says detectives are still working on the case, but they are no longer searching the woods or the water for 29-year-old Shantina Smiley and 8-year-old Azriel Carver.

Mealy says investigators are still working on a number of different theories, and haven't eliminated any possibilities.

Mealy says they will find Smiley and her son. It's just a matter and when and where. And he's still hoping they will find her alive and well."

How on earth can they call off the searches already??? It's only been a few days. Makes me wonder if they know something we don't, perhaps they are starting to believe that SS took off willingly with her son.

I try not to presume that everyone would do as I do. I'm just puzzled. I know they apparently did let her in, but if she was so 'impared' if they called the police and the police arrived, she and the child would have been perhaps found by now. I will have to go back and re-read the articles, perhaps I am missing something.

Chances are they would not even send the police and it sure would not be a fast arrival, no rush rush

how would you propose to keep her and the child there until the cops did arrive if they even would take the call??

if you "kept" them there you might find yourself charged with kidnapping or assault

I am puzzled by the way some of these scenarios are ONLY seen on forums like this...in the "real world" people can't even get help when their own family member is mentally disturbed or drunk

How the heck could the fiance have pulled this off? Is the step-father in on it, also? He would lie and provide an alibi for the fiance?? Seems pretty far fetched....

It is usual to assume the guy in a woman's life is involved..and not that far fetched.. but in this case it seems far too random, the involvement of the stepfather etc would make this more unlikely

I think the simplest answer is probably right (usually is)... when we learned of her "relapse" and pills for depression....I think that is the answer...I think she was impaired but NOT enough for the people in the diner or at the house to hold her or restrain her...

I think that the "reunion " with the stepfather had her upset also...and may have even prompted the relapse...in AA people are told to do the steps, and "make amends" and clear the wreckage of the past, but SOME people do this too quickly, they are not emotionally ready to see people from their past and it can end up badly....

I wish we knew more about her ...how long sober?? in AA?? how bad was her problem before??

I found it "odd" from the start when her family was so adamant that she was "not into drugs" and was "responsible"....almost overkill

I think she made some really bad decisions...and ended up in the water...I think her son tried to save her or she tried to save him...and I do not think there is a happy ending here

It's not clear to me that he's saying he talked to her. His wording could easily mean she left a message, and he left a message in return.

What would he have left the message on.......she didn't have her phone.

Didn't she have a restraining order against someone?

The boy is old enough to get help, so I feel if he could he would,sadly I hope I am wrong but I don't see a happy ending to this.

According to MapQuest, the driving distance from Silverdale to Olympia is 64.36 miles(approx 1hr and 16 minutes driving time), yet it took her almost 3 hours. Were there more stops made along the way?

This woman reminds me so much of Diane Schuler driving aimlessly around.

I am local to where the couple lives. The local newspapers here have blogs that make me wonder about RS. I cannot find the orginal article but one blogger wrote that RS was not at cub scout training, it was leadership training. Another thing that bothers me is they live in Silverdale and the boy goes to a North Kitsap School. It is as if there are things that don't add up. Maybe she is running from something or someone. The Stepfather wasn't in contact with her and boys Father was not either.

The GMA interview is also very interesting, RS states the last time he talked to her was 4:15 yet on his web page he states that he told her where he was and she said she would be there shortly. He goes on Further to say that the Health issues he looked up on the internet and it couls be serious but he hasn't followed up on it yet. Is there really a health scare or is RS all about the attention? He has spent the last two days with the Media in Seattle and even the Boys Father said he is going straight to Olympia to search the woods himslef. Again If it were my loved one missing I would be at the last place they were seen and I would search myself.

I found the article with blogs pay attention to long blog wrtitten by rgdimages#217099 it sound like it was writen by RS.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/...return-says-fiance-missing-woman/?partner=RSS

Just caught up. I was hoping they would have been found by now. To all locals on the water there...Please look for anything suspicious, like a purse, ID, floating in the water. Were the tire tracks hers? Did someone push her car farther into the water. Could they both swim? Wasnt there a storm that night? OMG where are they??

Clues, But No Breakthroughs in Search for Missing Woman and Her Son

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/...ance-missing-woman/?partner=RSS#ixzz0iSMz7WKf

Mom_Son_Missing_WAOLY103_t607.jpg

Members of the Thurston County Sheriff's Department dive team search for Shantina Smiley of Silverdale on Monday in Olympia. Smiley and her son, Azriel Carver, 8, were reported missing Sunday. (Steve Bloom | The Olympian)

Mom_Son_Missing_WAOLY102_t607.jpg

A member of the Thurston County Sheriff's Department dive team search for Shantina Smiley of Silverdale on Monday in Olympia. Shantina Smiley and her 8-year-old son, Azriel J. Carver, were reported missing Sunday.

(Steve Bloom | The Olympian)

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/...return-says-fiance-missing-woman/?partner=RSS

I am local to where the couple lives. The local newspapers here have blogs that make me wonder about RS. I cannot find the orginal article but one blogger wrote that RS was not at cub scout training, it was leadership training. Another thing that bothers me is they live in Silverdale and the boy goes to a North Kitsap School. It is as if there are things that don't add up. Maybe she is running from something or someone. The Stepfather wasn't in contact with her and boys Father was not either.

The GMA interview is also very interesting, RS states the last time he talked to her was 4:15 yet on his web page he states that he told her where he was and she said she would be there shortly. He goes on Further to say that the Health issues he looked up on the internet and it couls be serious but he hasn't followed up on it yet. Is there really a health scare or is RS all about the attention? He has spent the last two days with the Media in Seattle and even the Boys Father said he is going straight to Olympia to search the woods himslef. Again If it were my loved one missing I would be at the last place they were seen and I would search myself.

I found the article with blogs pay attention to long blog wrtitten by rgdimages#217099 it sound like it was writen by RS.

Thanks for that link. He says he has been to the site and the homeowners were apparently asleep when the van drove down the driveway, past the house and down the steep beach access road (my guess is that it is at the end of Zangle Rd NE at Little Fishtrap). He wonders if she knew of the access road because she had used it on a photoshoot. He also says her overnight bag has been recovered (it says so on the LE flyer) but he doesn't know if it was recovered from the van. He reiterates the person who drove the van there must have known of the secluded access road and wonders if it was her or someone else.

One of Shantina's "friends" on Facebook has the following status: "Shantina Smilely and Azriel Carver Thanks I lost her Mother to Sucide four years ago!". The city this friend is in is Brinnon, WA....maybe SS's grandmother speaking about SS's mother?

If so, it sounds as if this young lady had a very troubled couple of years :( I hope she just needed to get away from it all with her son....that would be the "best" outcome, I think.

Also, a FB group was formed for SS and AC.

I'm disheartened that they have called off the search. I realize that if they were lost in the woods, they couldn't survive too many days in this weather and no supplies. But an 8 year old boy is MISSING. Where is the organized search to find this little boy?

I still don't understand how a good K9 wouldn't be able to indicate that the last place they were was in the van, on the beach or in the water.

If they didn't walk away from the van towards the road, the K9s s/b able to indicate that right?

If they *did* walk towards the road, LE should know that too, right?

Not knocking their K9s & handlers, but maybe it's time for a "second opinion" by a diff. K9 team....what's the worst thing that could happen if they tried that??? :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme