WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What? She bought a bottle of wine at a convenience store at 8:00?

I just watched the Safeway video somebody posted. It was at 8:00. In that video, she goes in and asks for directions and looks at a map and leaves. She didn't buy anything.

Azriel is cute hamming for the camera in that video.

2 things I noted. She brought him in the store with her. She could have left him in the van. He asked for candy, and she didn't get it for him. Good Mom.

If that's a Safeway store, it's the smallest one I've ever seen.

LOL ! I thought the same thing ... :crazy: Our Safeway stores are a full blown grocery store...

I arrived in Castle Rock around 7:40, and found her Step Father’s house. We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents. Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her. I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone. They had informed met hat she had stopped at a house in Olympia around 10:10, to use the phone, and ask for directions, and let them know she was ok.

We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back. We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock. During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

Ok. They would have had to drive around for over an hour *searching* as he claims to have called Grandpa after the call at 10:10 pm. He isn't too clear where this search occurred. In Castle Rock? In Olympia (her last known location)?

Why would he call someone in Brinnon????

But anywho...

They headed back to step-father's place. Couldn't have stayed there very long, it would have to be between 10:10 and midnight. Most likely much less than that, I don't see him calling Grandpa immediately after Shantina did...

So at midnight, they head to Olympia. According to mapquest, it's about an hour drive:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Oly...=WA&2y=US&2l=46.275299&2g=-122.906403&2v=CITY

If you're driving the speed limit ;)

So what time did the homeowner hear the commotion? Around 1 am?

Hmmm...

He says they then drove back to Castle Rock (another hour on the road, mind you) stopping to search rest stops on the way.

A "few hours sleep and drove back up to Olympia at daybreak".

Keep in mind, the time moved forward Sunday morning. So in all this running around and having lost an hour, he sure was one busy little bee.

Leaves step-father's house at midnight: one hour up to Olympia.

1 am: *search* *search* search*

[about an hour after they arrive, time moves up to 3 am]

Over an hour back to Castle Rock [searching rest stops, ya know].

Arriving back at step-father's ? am: "A few hours sleep" and on the road by daybreak (sunrise at 7:26 am).

If that's a Safeway store, it's the smallest one I've ever seen.

I thought the same thing. It looks like a gas station mart. I was watching Azriel gettin' jiggy. That was so cute. I really hope this turns out better than it looks right now.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/search_continues_for_missing_w_1.html
'snipped'
They're part of a large family that homesteaded near the Toutle River and other sites in south-central Washington. Smiley went to high school in Castle Rock and now works in medical billing, as well as doing some part-time photography work.

..more at link.. posted before.

Posters have been asking about her other family members.
I remembered reading this info the other day.

I thought the same thing. It looks like a gas station mart. I was watching Azriel gettin' jiggy. That was so cute. I really hope this turns out better than it looks right now.

What was he looking up at?

I am so sorry, but this is feeling more and more like a balloon boy - type hoax.

I was wondering if he was dancing for the security camera.

Maybe it's a QuickWay or something. Hmmm. I'll go look.

That's a convenience store. Do they have a chain by that name out there?

All the Safeway's in Oregon are part of the major chain.
I agree, though, that little store did not look like a Safeway store to me.

Many Safeways in Olympia have a Safeway-brand gas station in the parking lot. Here is google streetview of the gas station at the Harrison Ave. Safeway:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...pTpEh3OTRCgooUfiAFoD_A&cbp=12,306.12,,0,-5.01

Edited to add: better view of this same gas station from Mud Bay Rd., the convenience store part is clearly visible
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...l=47.047084,-122.942247&spn=0,359.922838&z=14

woah, so she did buy wine at the store? well that certainly cements some things. when was she going to drink this? while driving? on the beach? :(

From the article: "a half-full and corked wine bottle."

Would half a bottle of wine really cause her to be that out of it? Unless she drank before, or other medication was involved.

A corked bottle would float.

What time did she purchase this relative to the timeline?

LOL ! I thought the same thing ... :crazy: Our Safeway stores are a full blown grocery store...

That's supposed to be the Handy pantry or the Plaid Pantry or whatever those are in the Northwest.

JC, the media reporting is horrid, very unnaceptable in this case.
Bolding in case the media reads this....sheesh.

I suspect they got the wine purchase location incorrect as well.

Some Safeway locations also have gas stations which I think can include a convenience store. Two stores I go to here have Safeway gas/convenience within the Safeway parking lot.

It is odd that she was there within 10 minutes of getting directions at the Handy Pantry.

Bumping this up. Not sure where Mr Trooper got this info. If it was the media...well it could be incorrect.....thanks media.

Ok here is my google map and time line:

maps

A- Silverdale, WA
B- Handy Pantry Market 7:50 PM
C- Martin Way Diner (corn Dog) 9:00 PM
D- Gull Harbor Merchantile 9:55 PM
E- Dennis Williams House (used phone)-10:10 PM
F- Home of Jim Pribbenow- guy who found car on his beach 10:00 AM Sunday
G- New Castle WA, home of her step-father

Here are my thoughts on the situation:

I think she and her fiance got into a fight and she did not want him to go to visit the stepfather. He ended the Scout meeting early as to try to catch her before she left.

I think she may have intentionally left her cell phone at home so she had an excuse not to call anyone.

I think she got alcohol and drove around killing time drinking or to sober up and got lost.

It's possible that she saw the fiance while she was getting the dinner and that is why she took off without the food. That one is baffling. She may have been stopping so much so she could drink.

I think she called the grandparents instead of the finance and stepfather because she wanted her family to know she was okay, but did not want to face or deal with talking to the fiance or the situation. She was drunk and he would know - or something along those lines.

I think she got the directions from the people and actually I don't think at that point that she had the intention of going to Castle Rock. She only wanted to use the phone to call the grandparents. She was frazzled not because of being lost necessarily, but because of the whole situation.

I think she left the house where she made the call to her grandparents and went to find somewhere quiet and dark to spend the night in the car. This is how she found the road. Perhaps she drove to far and tried to turn around, but got stuck in the sand and this is how her car ended up backwards.

It's possible that someone saw this and she is with someone right now. Or, she's so ashamed of what happened that she is hiding somewhere. Although, since she has no money that would be hard.

It's also possible that she contacted someone she knows and they are helping her and not telling the police.

Just some thoughts...

But a new news release just came out that says they found a wine bottle wash up as well as a ball and a couple pair of shoes. One of the shoes was a size 13, the other was a childs size shoe. They also found a ball and an inhaler. I think these things were possible washed out of the car. They said the water went to the top of the seats in the car. I don't think she would have exited the car with the big bottle of wine and a ball.

What was he looking up at?

I am so sorry, but this is feeling more and more like a balloon boy - type hoax.

I was wondering if he was dancing for the security camera.

I know a TON of kids who dance for those cameras. I used to do it when I was a kid also. I don't think it is at all like the balloon boy hoax.

They said she bought the wine at 8:00. Even if they had the store name wrong, she was in the Safeway/gas kiosk video at 8:00. She bought nothing. And she does not look drunk in that video. (Azriel does a little, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member