WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if she had a head injury even before she fell at the diner? It seems there is a few hours unaccounted for before she made it to the diner.

It sounds like she had run into traffic earlier (per the fiance's website), but she also appeared to be lost.

Since the van doors were open when the van was found, I hope that means they made it out of the water safely. Strange that her purse was gone but her wallet was there, although the wallet may have falllen out unnoticed if she grabbed the purse quickly while getting out of the van. Whatever the cause, it sounds like something was mentally off. I hope she and her son are found okay.

Or it fell out if her purse tipped over when the van got stuck. It may not have even been in her purse to start with; sometimes I'll take mine out just to make a quick run into a store or if going through a drive-thru, and don't always return it to my purse, but leave it on the seat or center console until I get home.

I'm not one to jump on the husband/bf, but RS's website is making my hinky meter go crazy. It does NOT seem like a "help find X" page, it reads like an alibi! Maybe I'm influenced by my background - which actually is in defense - but it reads like a list of answers to questions LE would ask.

I had Cub Scout Training that was planned to finish at 6:30
Shantina called me twice around 4:15 to let me know she was heading out. I asked her grab my phone charger, since my phone was near dead.

Question: Why didn't you guys drive up together?
Answer: I was supposed to have Cub Scout training until 6:30.
Question: According to the Cub Scouts, the training was over by 4:30.
Answer: The training wrapped up early.

Okay, if the training wrapped up by 4:30 (according to his website), how did he not know it was almost over by 4:15 when Shantina called? Wouldn't he say, "I'm almost done, why don't you just wait and we'll drive together."

If at 4:15 he asks her to get his cellphone charger, wouldn't that trigger her memory to make sure she has her cell phone too? I don't think that conversation happened. Why the obsession with the cell phone charger?

I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone.

Again, shouts to me "I don't have a phone!"

We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock.

Again... "I didn't have a phone!"

WHY do we care whether and when YOU had a phone? Shouldn't this be about finding Shantina?

Website has... vague description, no description of tattoos, no description of clothes. How is that helpful to finding Shantina? It's not, but it gives a play by play alibi for her fiance for reasons unknown.

I didn't want to say anything about the fiance either but my hinky meter went off yesterday when I saw his website. It did sound like he was coming up with his alibi. I hope I am wrong...

I'm not saying the fiance had anything to do with this at all. This could be a nervous reaction. Based on their MS pages, it looked like they were happy and in love. But when I read the webpage, it jumped out at me as an alibi diary, complete with the details needed for LE to check and clear a defendant. Except it's way too early - no one is charged with a crime!

Again, it could be just a scared, nervous guy who doesn't know how to help find his wife, so he makes a webpage. But it just reminds me too much of when a client walks into a lawyers office with a PERFECT diary establishing a defense before they're even asked what the problem is - upon closer inspection, you always find something like... "November, 2007 - saw Avatar with John. Awesome movie" ... woops!

Odd that the dogs haven't been able to give LE a clue about what happened to them..(.or did I miss what happened w/ the dogs following their scent?)

I hope LE brings the dogs to the house she made that phone call in and follow her scent from there. Maybe they should look into who was living in that house. Maybe he followed her, and he pulled along side of her and said do you want to use my phone, I live a few blocks away. Why would she randomly pick out someones house to use a phone?

I just thought of something else, her car was found backed in? Then maybe the person did that on purpose. He knew the tide would be coming in soon. He backed in so when he left the car he wouldn't get as wet? Thinking also the car might float down the lake a bit. Just trying to figure out this whole thing.

I didn't want to say anything about the fiance either but my hinky meter went off yesterday when I saw his website. It did sound like he was coming up with his alibi. I hope I am wrong...

Part of me wonders if completely innocent husbands are just paranoid after so many high-profile crimes where the husband eventually is found guilty, that they do things like this just to try to completely exonerate themselves before the media even comes knocking!

Anyone with a tech background? Is there a way to see when/how the website is updated? I'd like to see if the times changed after the media reporting.

I'm not one to jump on the husband/bf, but RS's website is making my hinky meter go crazy. It does NOT seem like a "help find X" page, it reads like an alibi! Maybe I'm influenced by my background - which actually is in defense - but it reads like a list of answers to questions LE would ask.

Question: Why didn't you guys drive up together?
Answer: I was supposed to have Cub Scout training until 6:30.
Question: According to the Cub Scouts, the training was over by 4:30.
Answer: The training wrapped up early.

Okay, if the training wrapped up by 4:30 (according to his website), how did he not know it was almost over by 4:15 when Shantina called? Wouldn't he say, "I'm almost done, why don't you just wait and we'll drive together."

If at 4:15 he asks her to get his cellphone charger, wouldn't that trigger her memory to make sure she has her cell phone too? I don't think that conversation happened. Why the obsession with the cell phone charger?

Again, shouts to me "I don't have a phone!"

Again... "I didn't have a phone!"

WHY do we care whether and when YOU had a phone? Shouldn't this be about finding Shantina?

Website has... vague description, no description of tattoos, no description of clothes. How is that helpful to finding Shantina? It's not, but it gives a play by play alibi for her fiance for reasons unknown.

Maybe he's just not thinking clearly because he's really upset...getting this website up so quickly is more than Josh Powell did for Susan....I think there's too many odd things about that nite to consider the fiance′ right now.

:twocents: FWIW ;)

Why would she randomly pick out someones house to use a phone?
Because...
According to the guy whose house she stopped at, she picked that house because of the "Christian sticker on his car." This was stated in one of the videos where he was interviewed.

Website has... vague description said:
I agree! Why not give as much info about her and her son as possible? he is only giving his whereabouts. And why isnt he updating his website with additional info?
I think it's time we do a little more digging on RS. Too bad it's such a common name, might be kinda difficult.

Good point, Texas Mist about Josh Powell. He's now back in our state (Washington) and there has been some news regarding this. Personally, I think he is just anxious that people will look to him and a bit paranoid - without necessarily being guilty.

What I found more odd was the interview with the exhusband who lives in Castlerock. My husband and I were watching the interview with him last night and noticed that his demeanor is almost smiling and there is one point where he gets choked up and acts as if he's crying but his deameanor doesn't really change - his head just bows and is partially covered by his hand. I'd like to know more about that story...

Someone posted earlier in the thread about a DV situation. I'm wondering who the male involved was.

Maybe he's just not thinking clearly because he's really upset...getting this website up so quickly is more than Josh Powell did for Susan....I think there's too many odd things about that nite to consider the fiance′ right now.

:twocents: FWIW ;)

It seems VERY unlikely that this man could be involved in any way. His whereabouts are accounted for throughout the entire time that late evening while mom and son were seen wandering around from diner to convenience stores to stranger's houses. The fiance' had already arrived at the relative's home and was with that person at the same time Shantina and Azriel were "lost" many miles behind their intended destination.

jmoo

I still think if he could , the boy would seek out help, if Mom was for what ever reason unable to.

I agree! Why not give as much info about her and her son as possible? he is only giving his whereabouts. And why isnt he updating his website with additional info?
I think it's time we do a little more digging on RS. Too bad it's such a common name, might be kinda difficult.

One of the tweets I saw from daughter (about 6 hrs ago) said they were in a hotel now...doesn't sound like he has access...just a thought.

Because...
According to the guy whose house she stopped at, she picked that house because of the "Christian sticker on his car." This was stated in one of the videos where he was interviewed.

Im not buying that story...Sorry.

Because...

With that indication of the direction of her thought processes, it is time to search local churches, religious retreats or camps in the area, boy scout facilities, and any other home or car with any such type of sticker or cross, etc. that might be seen by someone driving in the dark or even on foot. She was seeking help and directions, and thinking of places that would be "safe", sometimes it is best to start by trying to think like the missing person and going in whatever direction that might lead.

jmoo

"Since the disappearance happened in Thurston County, the Kitsap County Sheriff's office is not taking an active role. However, deputies did make a welfare check to a residence at the request of the Thurston County Sheriff's office, said deputy Scott Wilson with the Kitsap County Sheriff's office."

http://www.seattlepi.com/sound/416825_sound87673977.html

Is Kitsap County where the grandparents live? I wonder if that is who the "welfare check" was on?

Hmm interesting info in this article (bolded by me):

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...ear-old-son-fiance-believes-could-be-sinister

March 14, 2010 - (VIDEO) A desperate search for 29-year old Shantina Smiley and her 8-year old son Azriel Carver is underway in Thurston County. They have been missing since Saturday evening.

Description of Shantina Smiley and her son, Azriel Carver:

Shantina Smiley - 29 yrs.
5'9" tall; 140 lbs.
Dark brown hair
Brown eyes

Azriel Carver - 8 yrs.
4'2" tall; about 100 lbs.
Blond hair, mohawk style
Brown eyes

During a phone interview with Examiner.com late Sunday evening Smiley's fiance, Robb Simmons, pleaded:

"Please, if you have Shantina, let her go. Please let her and Azriel go. Please leave them somewhere safe where we can find them. She is my fiance, I want to marry her and spend the rest of my days with her."

TIMELINE:

Saturday:

4:15 p.m. - Simmons stated that at around 4:15 pm. Saturday Smiley called Simmons from their home to let him know she was on her way from their Silverdale home to her visit her stepfather in Castle Rock.

Simmons planned to meet Smiley in Castle Rock later because he had a Boy Scout event to attend that afternoon.

As it turned out, Simmons got out early and was planning to head to Castle Rock on his motorcycle, as Smiley had borrowed his van.

Simmons said Smiley was excited to visit with her step-father who she had not seen in some time. She forgot her cell phone at home.

6:47 p.m. - Simmons said Smiley stopped at a Handy Pantry and called him from a pay phone.

Before 10 p.m. - Smiley stopped at Martin's Café to get food for her son, Azriel.

Around 10 p.m. - Shortly after leaving the café, around 10 p.m., Smiley stopped at a stranger's home to borrow a phone to call her grandparents in Brinnon to let her know she was okay. . She could not reach Simmons because his cell phone battery had died, and was in a poor cellular reception area.. She called her grandfather in Brinnon instead, telling him she was safe and on her way to Castle Rock.

The home where Smiley made that call was 4 or 5 miles, Simmons said, from where the van was found the next morning.

Around midnight - When Smiley did not arrive at her stepfathers home in Castle Rock and no one heard from her, Simmons said he and Smiley'sstepfather drove up and down the highway looking for her. They contacted police and put out a request to check on Smiley and her son.

Police, Simmons, and Smiley's stepfather had no luck finding Smiley and her son.

Sunday:

10:30 a.m. - On Sunday morning her van was spotted in the waters of Dana Passage, which is just north of Olympia. Both doors were open and her wallet was inside but her purse was gone.

The Oregonian Reported that Sunday morning local resident Jim Pribbenow was alerted by a neighbor to the gold 2005 Dodge Caravan on private beachfront property around 10:30 a.m.

“The back hatch and the side door was open,” Pribbenow said. “The front end had gone in the mud and you could see where the wheels had spun in trying to back out.” (the van was back end in the bay)
Simmons, told Q13Fox News that things aren't adding up and he is hoping nothing sinister could have happened to Smiley and her son. He says it doesn't add up that she would even be in the area of Dana Passage.

"Being that it was down a dead-end road, and then going down a dirt road around a bluff to the water makes no sense," said Simmons, "she would not go down that road, it's a dead-end."

Simmons says they don't have any friends in that area, and is hoping nothing sinister may have happened.

Simmons also said he is in contact with Smiley's ex-boyfriend, and her Son’s Father in New York City.

"I'm scared that something bad happened," said Simmons, " and I just want to say to whoever has them, send them home please, just drop them off somewhere, let them be found, let them come home, let them be safe."

Simmons described them as a "Scout" family, heavily involved with the cub scouts, and friends say she is responsible, and very loving, and has no history of drug use.

Detectives say anyone with information on Smiley and her son can call Thurston County Crime Stoppers at 360-493-2222, the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office at 360-786-5500 or 9-1-1.

"Since the disappearance happened in Thurston County, the Kitsap County Sheriff's office is not taking an active role. However, deputies did make a welfare check to a residence at the request of the Thurston County Sheriff's office, said deputy Scott Wilson with the Kitsap County Sheriff's office."

http://www.seattlepi.com/sound/416825_sound87673977.html

Is Kitsap County where the grandparents live? I wonder if that is who the "welfare check" was on?

No, Kitsap is where Shantina and her fiance live. Cowlitz Co. is where they were headed (and where Shantina grew up). Brinnon, where the grandparents live, is in Jefferson Co.

Perhaps the welfare check was performed while the fiance was in Castle Rock, just to be sure that Shantina and Azriel weren't at home? It also sounds like the fiance is staying at a hotel in Olympia while the search is ongoing, so maybe the sheriff was checking up on the property/the fiance's children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme