WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a light pole at the entrance? You know the one with the white thing on the top? A street-light, maybe?

It looks like a power transformer to me. So far no one has mentioned that there's a light there.

It takes 2 days before a "package" of things with different weights arrive together in one spot 1/4 mile away? :-\

Apparently so. Tides come in, tides go back out. Not all the items the lady found belonged to Shantina and AZ and we have no idea how long they had been out there or where they came from. Crud lands on beach whenever/wherever it lands. Lady finds the items (not a package), I'm not clear when, and luckily happened to mention to her husband before throwing them all out. Maybe she doesn't pay attention to the news, maybe she didn't make the connection since stuff lands on those beaches regularly. I don't recall what day those items washed up, or what day they were reported, but a lot is coming out days later when people in the neighborhood have that "duh" moment, 4-5 days after they went missing, i.e. the folks who heard somebody banging on the side of their house/garage at 1am Sunday morning.

According to CPS, these complaints were received in the past 5 years:
• A report was filed in June 2005 that Carver suffered "serious physical abuse" by Smiley's former boyfriend. The complaint was investigated, and the boyfriend was arrested for assault - but never prosecuted.

• In March 2007, CPS investigated a complaint that Smiley had physically abused her son, but the complaint was closed as "unfounded."

• In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care.

• Another referral was made to CPS in April 2009 about Smiley and her son, but no details were immediately available. "We're still waiting to find out how much contact we had at this time," Hill said.

CPS will now conduct an extensive "fatality review," which involves going over every aspect of the case to see if mistakes were made by any agency along the way.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88624222.html

WOW...this is also at the above link:
Meanwhile, Child Protective Services confirmed that it had received 10 complaints involving Smiley and her son over the past five years, and that three of the complaints had been investigated.

I guess there is not much of a question regarding her alcohol abuse. So so very sad.

• A report was filed in June 2005 that Carver suffered "serious physical abuse" by Smiley's former boyfriend. The complaint was investigated, and the boyfriend was arrested for assault - but never prosecuted.

• In March 2007, CPS investigated a complaint that Smiley had physically abused her son, but the complaint was closed as "unfounded."

• In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care.

• Another referral was made to CPS in April 2009 about Smiley and her son, but no details were immediately available. "We're still waiting to find out how much contact we had at this time," Hill said.

CPS will now conduct an extensive "fatality review," which involves going over every aspect of the case to see if mistakes were made by any agency along the way.

above bolded by me:
I was wondering if there was a chance that she passed out and something happened after that. She didn't look intoxicated to me in the videos but that doesn't mean anything. Especially since she fell and maybe she had been drinking all day. Gosh, this is just awful! We just don't know enough. Like what directions was she asking for. That still bothers me that we don't know.

WOW...this is also at the above link:

I guess there is not much of a question regarding her alcohol abuse. So so very sad.

Oh my gosh! TEN complaints? Three were investigated? Huh? Unless they were from the "ex" and someone thought he was just being vindictive. Who knows.

roadtobeach_t607.jpg

Off Zangle Road NE in North Olympia is a narrow gravel road leading to the beach where the van Shantina Smiley had been driving was found. The entrance to that gravel road is marked by a red arrow. (Photo courtesy of reader Robert Dashiell)

Beach_Road_End2_t607.jpg

This is near the end of the beach access road where the van Shantina Smiley was driving was found. At the end of this graveled road is a very sharp drop-off to the right. The red dot marks the approximate location of the vehicle, which was removed by investigators Sunday. The waterway to the left leads to Boston Harbor. (Photo courtesy of Robert Dashiell)

What I find amazing is the fact that she did not hit anything or go over the embankment. I would have a hard time driving those roads completely sober (night vision problems). Very sad ending:(

Oh my gosh! TEN complaints? Three were investigated? Huh? Unless they were from the "ex" and someone thought he was just being vindictive. Who knows.

Maybe it's just me, but I think ANY and ALL complaints involving a child's welfare should be investigated. And especially if previous valid complaints had been made.

ITA, and now it's a "fatality review" which makes me ill...if they had investigated all of the complaints there would NOT have been TEN complaints and there would not have been a FATALITY REVIEW. This child would still be alive.

Everyone wants to take as gospel RS's diagnosis of her as an alcoholic, but dismisses his assertion she wouldn't drink around her son.

i personally am dismissing anything that RS has said.

i want to know:

why he didn't have his phone charged.(he forgot)
why he forgot his charger (he asked her to bring it.)
why he didn't call SS at 4:30 when his scout meeting ended early.(he thought she left)
why he didn't go home and get his charger. (he thought she grabbed it.)
why he hasn't mentioned SS's whereabouts when she called him @6:45(olympia)

damn. thanks for clarifiying for me.

If she in fact drove that mini van to that location, I'm leaning toward she passed out and maybe when little Azriel awoke to the water, it was too late. Although I still don't get the doors being open and where she tried to "go" after getting directions. Rest in peace little man.

Agree. Sometimes people call social services just out of malice. But, I'm sure they found "something" when they removed her son from her care for that year.

I do feel sorry for people with addictions. Many want to do the right thing, they just can't. The substance takes over and reduces them to witless fools.

I have now got a clearer picture of what happened, but one never knows.

Just because someone is paranoic doesn't mean that someone isn't after him/her. So, I will wait for more info to see what happens.

Just a terrible situation.

ITA, and now it's a "fatality review" which makes me ill...if they had investigated all of the complaints there would NOT have been TEN complaints and there would not have been a FATALITY REVIEW. This child would still be alive.

"Fatality review" ??? How many of these 'fatality reviews" do they do? are they learning anything from them ? It seems to me that many, many children die that have previously been in the CPS system. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE !!:furious::furious::furious:

i want to know:

why he didn't have his phone charged.
why he forgot his charger.
why he didn't call SS at 4:30 when his scout meeting ended early.
why he didn't go home and get his charger.
why he hasn't mentioned SS's whereabouts when she called him at 6:45.

Not sure we have to entire story either. But I forget to charge my phone all the time then I end up taking it without a full charge and I don't take my charger with me. I'm thinking he didn't call at 4:30 because he might have suspected she was drinking and wanted to jet out of there and catch up? Also why he wouldn't stop and get his charger.
However, now I am wondering if he did NOT go home before heading South for the night - did he have a bag packed on his motorcycle OR were his clothes in that van? All very strange and I am just throwing this stuff out there. No firm beliefs in any theories yet. More info needed!

i want to know:

why he didn't have his phone charged.
why he forgot his charger.
why he didn't call SS at 4:30 when his scout meeting ended early.
why he didn't go home and get his charger.
why he hasn't mentioned SS's whereabouts when she called him at 6:45.

He asked her to grab his charger when she called him at 4:15 to let him know she was leaving. She left without her call phone, so even if he did try to call her at 4:30, it would do him no good, since nobody would be picking up that phone (he might have expected she would not pick up anyway while driving, given that is now illegal in WA). Since I'm sure he expected that she had indeed grabbed his charger for him, why go home to get it?

She told him she had stopped in Olympia when she called, and he did state that. We don't know if she bothered to tell him precisely where in Olympia she called from. Don't know if police have verified what pay phone that call came from (presumably so, but immaterial now).

If everything on these last couple of pages is true, then poor little Azriel was failed by every adult in his life. This tragedy goes beyond depressing for me.

The most tragic thing about the children of alcoholics is that they often blame themselves for the parent's drinking. I pray for these children.

If she in fact drove that mini van to that location, I'm leaning toward she passed out and maybe when little Azriel awoke to the water, it was too late. Although I still don't get the doors being open and where she tried to "go" after getting directions. Rest in peace little man.

I agree with you, though I am unsure about the doors being found open. Maybe she opened all the doors looking for Az. But if she didn't open them (and she is also in the water), who did? And if she did where is she? Suicide?

This makes me absolutely sick...poor baby.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members