WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a minivan and there are three different "trim levels":
- basic: no automatic doors
- mid: automatic passenger sliding door (on key FOB)
- high: two automatic sliding doors AND automatic hatch (all on key FOB)

Iirc, the side door opened, and several orange lights came on, as Az was exiting the van to go into a store. Mom was still inside the van.
The orange lights caused me to think the door was opening without Az's assistance. So imo, the sliding door was automatic, on key/fob, I don't know what fob is...

If Shantina is dead and the body isn't found for a while (weeks or months even) would an autopsy/tox screen accurately show whether or how much she drank that night?

Such an interesting question but complex to answer. Performing a tox screen on the deceased often times is conducted by a forensic pharmacologist with a specialty in the dead. I am a pharmacist who works with the living. lol

However, pharmacology is a huge part of our training and therefore I understand a great deal of the terminology, chemistry, and explanations.

Not knowing when Shantina will be found I would say the number one method used to come up with a blood alcohol level would be:

1. vitreous fluid within the eye for determining the alcohol level (it is 99% water). Considered to be very accurate.

If an intact bladder - urine could be used (gives average levels over perhaps hours)

Alcohol does NOT remain in the stomach very long - it is rapidly absorbed into the blood during life...so a HIGH gastric content would indicate recently ingested alcohol prior to death.

There are a couple metabolites (fatty acids etc) that could be found in the hair; these tests are not very accurate and very complex.

The absorption, distribution, and excretion of alcohol is affected by body weight, stomach content, gender, physical illness, medications, liver and kidney function, to name just a few. The metabolic breakdown and pathways make it difficult to explain in simple lingo. Please remember - alcohol is considered a drug.

Just a couple simple suggestions for a very complex topic. Hope this helps those with questions.

ETA: I don't know the effects of salt water on the eyes - that may make a huge difference.
Also, a blood test would be great, but not knowing the condition of the body or when it will wash on shore, I stick with the vitreous fluid in the eye.

I think she's gone, but not in the water. I think she was waiting for someone and wanted to shed her "life" and move on. She drove around and waited until Azriel fell asleep, so it was easier for her to do what she needed to do...she met "someone" (planned) and whoever it was told her where to go to get to the beach (which she couldn't have found on her own, sober or drunk)...she only asked directions from others as a distraction and an alibi (on tape...she knew she would get caught on videotape) IMHO.

I'm so sorry Azriel...this should have never happened to you.

Marlou

I agree. I think she is somewhere...but not in the water. She may have pretended to be drunk, confused and lost.

I am not sure she meant harm to her son. She may have abandoned him, but maybe not drowned him. This is not fact, nor rumor...I am just making a guess.

Sarx and eyes4crime, thank you so much for answering questions and providing so much valuable information. It was very helpful.

Thanks!
BeanE

I agree. I think she is somewhere...but not in the water. She may have pretended to be drunk, confused and lost.

I am not sure she meant harm to her son. She may have abandoned him, but maybe not drowned him. This is not fact, nor rumor...I am just making a guess.

I agree. I have been reading this case and haven't posted as I really don't know that I have anything to add except my opinion, LOL. I think she is cunning and set this up. The driving around, leaving the cell, missing purse/overnight bag, etc. all add up for me. I am very interested in the tox results on Azriel. If there is anything in his system that shouldn't be there, then I will be convinced 100%. i suppose right now I am about 85 - 95%. I don't think the BF had anything to do with this, I think he suspected something was wrong and was wanting to find her, but, I think the only thing he is guilty of is loving her. MOO

I agree. I have been reading this case and haven't posted as I really don't know that I have anything to add except my opinion, LOL. I think she is cunning and set this up. The driving around, leaving the cell, missing purse/overnight bag, etc. all add up for me. I am very interested in the tox results on Azriel. If there is anything in his system that shouldn't be there, then I will be convinced 100%. i suppose right now I am about 85 - 95%. I don't think the BF had anything to do with this, I think he suspected something was wrong and was wanting to find her, but, I think the only thing he is guilty of is loving her. MOO

I go back and forth with this case. If we are talking percentages I'm 50/50. I know it makes sense that she drowned and is underwater because it takes awhile for bodies to surface and if's she hung up on something she may never surface. However, they were looking in the water so soon after the disappearance, and with Azrial being found, it just seems she should have been found by now. Also, the knock on the door at 1am on the very night the van was in the water and she knocked on another door in that same area earlier in the night, is more than a coincidence to me. However, if she ran off she would have been spotted somewhere by now, and how is she living and surviving. Then again the driving around, going into stores, getting the wine, it's like she was stalling, trying to think, and get her nerve up for something.

Confusedashell.gif lol

Sadly, I agree with Rosie, Nancee and Evelyn. It's the only scenario that adds up.

It was two weeks ago tonight. If she went into the water in the other scenario, I don't see how she would go this long without survacing. The force of a tide that may have caused a body to get hung up on an object will reverse every twelve hours. But the same forces that caused Az to wash up at Fox Beach, did they say any other items from the car were found there too? Not that I have read. They were found 1/4 mile away.

But, it stands to reason that there was something found that caused the active search for her to end.

It was two weeks ago tonight. If she went into the water in the other scenario, I don't see how she would go this long without survacing.

Easily. In cold water, the body could stay submerged for months until decomp forced it up.

Even then, there's no guarantee that the body would surface and land at a beach. It could have gone out to sea by now.

was a time of death ever released on Azriel? tyia

I have thought this at times, but it just doesn't add up. Shantina was young and attractive, and had gone back to college and had earned honors. She was gainfully employed by a medical group, with full time work awaiting her - and was engaged to be married, and had her son in scouts. Even if she were unhappy in her relationship, at 29, she was young and pretty enough to begin anew. I think it is more likely that she was stalling for time to meet someone, and that something went awry from there. I cannot imagine that she wanted her son dead. On her MySpace, it says "proud parent". Something went dreadfully wrong, is the way I see it.....

I don't see anything that points to this being a murder ...this seems to be a very tragic accident

look how long it took before Laci Peterson's body washed up

I feel that Shantina is a victim, her son was a victim, her fiancee etc are victims...

I don't think there is anything to sleuth....alcholism is a horrible disease and a family disease....this is a sad reminder that people can need help and don't know what to do..I feel very sorry for all of these people.

Hopefully other families can "see" themselves or their loved ones by looking at this sad example and get the help that they so desperately needed. Apparently the LE are not looking at this as a murder case. This is just a tragedy IMHO

I don't see anything that points to this being a murder ...this seems to be a very tragic accident

look how long it took before Laci Peterson's body washed up

I feel that Shantina is a victim, her son was a victim, her fiancee etc are victims...

I don't think there is anything to sleuth....alcholism is a horrible disease and a family disease....this is a sad reminder that people can need help and don't know what to do..I feel very sorry for all of these people.

Hopefully other families can "see" themselves or their loved ones by looking at this sad example and get the help that they so desperately needed. Apparently the LE are not looking at this as a murder case. This is just a tragedy IMHO

LogiclMinds - I agree they are all victims of the disease of 'addiction'. Alcohol addiction is a lifetime battle and as much as Shantina looked like her life was finally going well, one drink WILL ruin it all.

This case is so very sad - A young boy with his entire life to live and a vibrant, intelligent, and caring mom who lost her life to a human condition - alcoholism. The disease of addiction is tragic and I send my heartfelt sympathies to all those who love and care for mom and son.

You're so right - there is nothing more to sleuth. moo

Sarx and eyes4crime, thank you so much for answering questions and providing so much valuable information. It was very helpful.

Thanks!
BeanE

Thanks BeanE. I forgot to put the links in my comment - so tired and with a bit of the flu that everything seems difficult to me today.

I'm wishing a forensic pathologist or toxicologist specializing in post mortem would join WS. moo

ETA: Thank you Sarx - these dogs are amazing and I appreciate them so much - their sense of smell puts our sniffer to shame. Beautiful and intelligent animals that can be trained to the death scent as well as an individual scent. What an honor to train and take care of such amazing animals - gotta love them all.

Thanks!
BeanE

Yes, thank you from me, too.

Hi, everyone.

Sarx, it is so amazing to me how these dogs' noses can detect and track scents that our human noses cannot. Fascinating.

eyes4crime, fascinating info as well. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Diseño por Arcsin ....a quote from the blog

it is a blog by some kid in another country, with very badly translated English from whatever his native language is , maybe Spanish?? I think he took a news item in his native language and put it into babblefish for a very very poor translation

JMO

Thought folks might find this interesting. Or may just BIZARRE:

http://www.aegee-nis.com/2010/03/search-for-missing-mom-shantina-smiley_19.html

Freak out: "The seek for a missing mom Shantina Smiley resumed today, a day after the body of her puppyish son was constitute clean up on a beach of General's Puget Safe...."
(just a snippet of the weirdness)
:eye::hypno::offtopic:

Sounds like it must have been in another language originally, then was put through one those translation sites like babelfish. "Iroquoian haircut" for mohawk--LOL!!

Sounds like it must have been in another language originally, then was put through one those translation sites like babelfish. "Iroquoian haircut" for mohawk--LOL!!

hahaha. that makes sense. like the one part where "we are all severly hurting" was (apparently) translated to "we are all seriously symptom" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor