WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I am sorry I did not read the warning before I posted about RS. I will not do it again

I have seen this reference a few times on WS about SS choosing the DW house because of some Christian symbol or such, but I can't recall my reading about it from any news article.

I am interested to read about it.

Can someone help me by providing a link? Thanks!

I have seen this reference a few times on WS about SS choosing the DW house because of some Christian symbol or such, but I can't recall my reading about it from any news article.

I can't find the link at the moment, but I do recall the picture of the symbol on the back of the car. I always thought it odd that she could see that small symbol on a car in the dark but couldn't see the huge I-5 signs.

Later, they ended up at a home on 46th Avenue in Olympia. They stopped at the home to ask directions — apparently drawn by a Christian symbol Smiley had seen outside, Mealy said.

http://m.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/15/pray-their-safe-return-says-fiance-missing-woman/

I don't know how big the symbol was or what it was on or if it was a sign or what.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it, I think there was a news video that showed it, and it was a sign in the yard. I could be wrong. God knows where that video is.

ETA again: I just spent some time searching WS and Google for the video interview. Haven't found it yet. Initially they were referring to the Williams as an older couple. Using older couple as keywords might bring it up.

Thank you elf69 and BeanE.

I appreciate it.

Just a curiosity thing, as I can't seem to help but read everything I can about this mystifying case.

(I've just discovered how to change colors here...heehee; fun)

No, the referenced statement is not a direct quote. They are a reporter saying his/her interpretation of what someone else said:

Smiley called Simmons at around 6:45 p.m. from a pay phone, asking him to bring her cell phone, but Simmons was already on his way.

Here's what a direct quote looks like. Note the quote marks:

Thurston County sheriff's detective Lt. Chris Mealy said there are no signs of foul play in or around the van, and that while the case is being called "suspicious," no suspects or persons of interest have been identified.

"We haven't established there has been a crime committed. We just don't know what happened to her," he said.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/87628727.html

Investigators have determined that Shantina left Silverdale at 5 p.m. Saturday. At 6:45 p.m. she called her boyfriend from a pay phone asking him to get her cell phone, but he didn't answer, Mealy said.

I apologize, I can't explain how the wrong link was put to that statement, aside from I obviously made a mistake. I don't remember reading the statement that is now at that link but I did read what I posted, more than one time before I put it in the comment. Above is another link to the statement I originally posted. (and I just checked, it is still there)

My original point was (and still is) it is no wonder we are confused when we read conflicting statements. It was never to imply Robb did not answer his phone, I am sorry if it was taken otherwise.

Later, they ended up at a home on 46th Avenue in Olympia. They stopped at the home to ask directions — apparently drawn by a Christian symbol Smiley had seen outside, Mealy said.

http://m.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/15/pray-their-safe-return-says-fiance-missing-woman/

I don't know how big the symbol was or what it was on or if it was a sign or what.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it, I think there was a news video that showed it, and it was a sign in the yard. I could be wrong. God knows where that video is.

ETA again: I just spent some time searching WS and Google for the video interview. Haven't found it yet. Initially they were referring to the Williams as an older couple. Using older couple as keywords might bring it up.

bbm
LOL at that. I have seen them referred to as elderly as well. If that is the case I am ancient.

I have seen two different men at the house Shantina stoped at, one looked to be in late 30's or early 40's and now this young guy i just saw on the news link. Did anyone else notice that?

I saw in a news clip the reporter panned to a bumper sticker on the back of a van or car parked in their driveway. I have not personally seen anything in the yard. If I come across it again I'll post the link.

But I'll tell you one thing, the sign at street level in front of the fire station may not have been visible in the dark but the one on the light box sure would have been - as long as it was turned on.

I found the one on the street level while I google-drove the path from the Mercantile to the turn off for Zangle (where street view ends) to try and get a feel for what she would have seen - what her other options may have been. Just trying to get into her head.

I have seen two different men at the house Shantina stoped at, one looked to be in late 30's or early 40's and now this young guy i just saw on the news link. Did anyone else notice that?

Mr DW is between 45 & 49, the second man is TW, I figured he was a relative of DW since he said; (not a quote - but paraphrased) We might be the last people who saw them (or her) I hope that is not the case.

IIRC LE confirmed that she left at 5. I'm happy to pull the link if you'd like. Poke me for it.

Yup, you are right, I have no doubt they know what time she left -

I was simply stating that at that time he did not say 'She left at 415 or 430'. In that statement he only said " She called me at 415, she was getting ready to hit the road, she asked if I need anything, I asked her to get my charger... I said I'll see you on the road... she was getting ready to hit the road.

I was replying to to: "Shantina didn't leave at 4:30. She called to say she was leaving, at 4:15."

IMO Saying someone is Getting ready to hit the road at 415 and Saying someone left at 415 are not the same. MOO

Thank you elf69 and BeanE.

I appreciate it.

Just a curiosity thing, as I can't seem to help but read everything I can about this mystifying case.

(I've just discovered how to change colors here...heehee; fun)

There is a picture with the symbol on the back of his car that prompted her to stop, but for the life of me I can't find it. Ugh. I will keep looking later on this evening.

Yes. I believe that is their son.

You should re-read the post by nao. It did not say that he/she threw trash on the beach. Nao is saying he/she would PICK UP trash and throw it above the high tide line, so it wouldn't get washed back out when the tide came in.

Thankyou Bobcat for understanding. I thought- ABOVE- the high tide line made it clear. Yesterday there was a backpack(full of sand) shoes are common, tis the windy season, lots of debris. In a couple of days when the debris is dry and less yukky and dryed excess sand can be easily removed, i'll do a trash run.
I feel the need to defend myself, so thanks for the welcome.
In regardeds to knowing the tides, i understand the rythem but unless i'm fishing(need high tide fishing off a dock) i would not no where in the cycle we are -as in highest lowest. I don't think in the dark Shantina could of figured where the tide was, nor do i think she even took it into consideration. People losing their car or tent in warmer climates is not uncommon.
If i woke to water in car, i would first go to open door, but if there was pressure , i'd panic then hit the buttons to open side and back hatch. Did you guys figure out if they were push button open???
I will try to write with more clarity, i know i'm not good at it.

I remember that. I thought it might be their son. I could be wrong.

I recall in the timeline of events that SS, just prior to knocking on the door of the DW house, had pulled up the the Gull Harbor Mercantile, but its pay phone was out of order.

Was there no other businesses that might have a pay phone in that area? Was it essentially a residential area? It's just another curious thing that she'd take a chance calling upon a stranger's house rather than keep looking for a pay phone.

Come to think of it, though, I imagine that there are a lot less pay phones nowadays because most people have no need due to the proliferation of cell phones.

No idea, of course, but I wonder if when she drove up to the DW house she happened to see them through a window (in addition to the Christian car decal), and just got those indefinable feelings of trustworthiness by looking at them.

It's just that I find it sad what I read the aunt of AC had said about SS: "I think she was just being a silly, stupid woman who trusted the wrong people." I wonder if this aunt regrets the way her words came out--it made me wince a bit..

At any rate, I feel SS's instincts were right---I don't get any sense from DW family that they were anything but kind to her and her son. I'm glad AC had this last bit of kindness from this family; I'll bet he enjoyed that pizza, as all kids do! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyW528