WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
9:55 would be the GHM, wouldn't it? Which as I posted just before this one, is also a Shell gas station.

Maybe that could explain why she didn't follow the directions given for the highway---she was looking for somewhere to fill up her tank first?

9:55 would be the GHM, wouldn't it? Which as I posted just before this one, is also a Shell gas station.

Maybe that could explain why she didn't follow the directions given for the highway---she was looking for somewhere to fill up her tank first?

Well I don't know. It doesn't make sense because it was at 9:55 according to the camera, and it looks like the colors of a Shell station - but the GHM was closed and she did not go inside and in that 2nd video, she did.

Well I don't know. It doesn't make sense because it was at 9:55 according to the camera, and it looks like the colors of a Shell station - but the GHM was closed and she did not go inside and in that 2nd video, she did.

It is either two different videos or two different cameras. Could be the same place or not. I think it might be two different videos combined on this one youtube video. Not sure.

Well, it makes a certain amount of sense that she appeared to be ignoring directions to the Interstate, but was in fact considering filling the tank first, and checking out what was open, and perhaps mulling over whether or not she should just head home, or continue on to Castlerock. But the question remains, what made her go back to the residential area, and down to the beach...?

Also, can anyone find a link, or does anyone know, if it were ever determined, that her van was on the beach that night by 11 pm? I do recall, LE said they were going to canvas houses that had a view of the beach, then a day or two later came the new tidbit of info that said LE had reliable info (or whatever the wording was) that the van was on the beach at 11PM. And it was mentioned on some other forum, talked about at great length. Does anyone know if this was ever confirmed?

Mealy said surveillance video also recorded Smiley and her son on the northwest side of Olympia peering into the windows of the Gull Harbor Market at 9:55 p.m., which was closed.

Smiley and her son keep driving, but away from the freeway. At 10 p.m. Smiley knocked on the door of a private residence where an elderly couple invited her and her son in and allowed Smiley to use the phone.
I believe the bolded info above is incorrect. I believe the end of the youtube video I posted is from the GHM at 9:55 and it shows her leaving the parking lot, next to the gas pumps, heading South -left (which would be toward the freeway).
955 GHM leaves Southbound.jpg

From there, she drove to the Williams house.
GHM to Williams.jpg

Has anyone seen surveillance of her driving past the GHM after leaving the Williams?

Also, can anyone find a link, or does anyone know, if it were ever determined, that her van was on the beach that night by 11 pm? I do recall, LE said they were going to canvas houses that had a view of the beach, then a day or two later came the new tidbit of info that said LE had reliable info (or whatever the wording was) that the van was on the beach at 11PM. And it was mentioned on some other forum, talked about at great length. Does anyone know if this was ever confirmed?

Oh I never saw that. I would be very interested to know about that if anyone has a link.

"We have very good information that the van was at the beach at 11:00 that night."

at about 2:18 on the video.

Oh, I just realized he says on that video right before this that "we believe she was at GHM at about 10:35 that evening".

Oh I never saw that. I would be very interested to know about that if anyone has a link.

Yes, I will keep on searching, and I recall that people were discussing in comments on an article, that some neighbor had thought they saw headlights down there at about the time of the 11 pm news. This is a VERY important detail, but without a link, it is only speculation. :(

So if what I posted above is correct*:

She was at GHM at 9:55
at Williams at 10:10
at GHM again at 10:35*

If she was just seen driving by it again on her way from the Williams - just after they gave her directions - would it have been 25 mins later? How long did she stay at the Williams?

Also, I have been wondering when the Williams said Az "seemed" hungry - what made him "seem" that way. Was he rubbing his tummy? Were they eating the pizza then (at 10:10 pm on Sat. night) and Az was staring at it, or did they get it out for him? If he 'said' he was hungry, wouldn't they have said "he said he was hungry so we gave him a piece of pizza", not seemed hungry?

Transcribed from above video regarding 10:35 at GHM and 11 on the beach by Mealy:

"We believe that she was at the Gull Harbor Mercantile at about 10:35 that evening, and we have very good information that the van was at the beach at 11 o'clock that night so given the drive time and stuff there's not a lot of time that anything criminal could have happened to her."

Transcribed from above video regarding 10:35 at GHM and 11 on the beach by Mealy:

"We believe that she was at the Gull Harbor Mercantile at about 10:35 that evening, and we have very good information that the van was at the beach at 11 o'clock that night so given the drive time and stuff there's not a lot of time that anything criminal could have happened to her."
Thanks, this is an important detail, but I wonder what conclusion must now be drawn???:waitasec:

It does make me wonder, as well, since this is a private beach, belonging to a community of private homes, why would they not have reported a van there at 11 PM???

Classmates of Azriel Carver meet to say their final goodbyes
Today, 11:26 AM · UPDATED

Referring to Azriel Carver's big smile, Vinland Elementary School Principal Charley McCabe asked the second-graders: what is an "infectious smile?"

"When he laughed, it made other people laugh so much," said Nathan Willis, 8, a classmate of Azriel's.

http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/ckr/news/91562274.html

:blowkiss: to Azriel

So according to Mealy's time line - what happened between 10:35 and 11:00 (25 mins)? It would not have taken her that long to get from GHM to that location off Zangle. It should have taken about 6 mins.

I guess I don't agree with Mealy's statement that nothing criminal could have happened to her in those 25 minutes. Someone could have followed her down there or she could have followed someone she was meeting down there - and then something went horribly wrong.

Or - nothing criminal happened and she drove down there on her own and it took her 25 mins. to find that spot, they went to sleep in the van, tide came in and took them away. Items from the van were washed out of the van by the tide and then deposited at that spot (where they were found) on the beach. She is in the Puget Sound and has not yet surfaced.

"We have very good information that the van was at the beach at 11:00 that night."

at about 2:18 on the video.

Oh, I just realized he says on that video right before this that "we believe she was at GHM at about 10:35 that evening".

Thanks.

And btw... that settles the question once and for all about the two shoes. Starting about 55 seconds in, he confirms that the smaller shoe found was a 9 wide, and ID'd by Robb as "similar size and similar shoe that shantina liked to wear". Not positively identified?

So the smaller shoe was probably Shantina's, the larger shoe.... ?????

Thanks.

And btw... that settles the question once and for all about the two shoes. Starting about 55 seconds in, he confirms that the smaller shoe found was a 9 wide, and ID'd by Robb as "similar size and similar shoe that shantina liked to wear". Not positively identified?

So the smaller shoe was probably Shantina's, the larger shoe.... ?????

Right, this one video has brought alot sharply into focus...I am glad Jules found it, as I was going crazy, thinking I imagined the bit about the van there by 11 pm---yes, and now we know there was a man's shoe...much to ponder...:waitasec:

It does make me wonder, as well, since this is a private beach, belonging to a community of private homes, why would they not have reported a van there at 11 PM???

Especially considering how upset they were to find the van there the next morning?

I wonder what information led them to believe she was there at 11pm. Did someone actually see the van?

If someone noticed the van there at 11 pm it is too bad they didn't let the owner of the home know. As he said in 911 call, he would have just pulled them out and scolded them for driving down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper