Identified! WA - Skamania County, Male, 30-45, May'03 - Name Withheld

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have not seen a pic of the shoe. I understand that they found 1 mocassin type shoe and 1 wool sock with the unidentified in Washington. Depatie was last seen in scrubs and tshirt. But I still feel like it could be the same man because everything else seems to match. I also wonder about the dentals. It should be an easy match or rule out.

I think you should submit it brownie. Hope you have more success than we have had with the one we've turned in already! It's been nearly a year since I first made contact and we're still waiting. I would recommend you start with the National Center for Missing Adults. Good luck!

I sent it in to the Skamania County Sheriff's office - while nagging about the one we have submitted before - last APRIL!!! It doesn't look like sublty is the way to go with these folks! And as luck would have it, sublty is NOT my forte.....

Side by sides for you All;

Attachments

• depatie_jonathan3.jpg
    depatie_jonathan3.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 33
  • Unidentified WA 6-19-2004.jpg
    Unidentified WA 6-19-2004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 34
I also emailed Rocky at Doenetwork and got a response almost immediately. This was received on Monday.

My name is Rocky Wells and I am with The Doe Network. I recieved your suggested match. Thank you.

I checked our database and Law Enforcement is looking at this possible match now.

Thanks again,

Rocky

So maybe we will hear something one way or the other!

I guess we should change the heading to include submitted??

I was thinking about thread. Did anything ever happen?

Thank you :D

Christine and I have both attempted many times to contact LE in WA and AZ and have never received a response. It's so frustrating!

Perhaps I shall try once again....

Just adding my two cents here, I think this is a great match.

I emailed Rocky at Doenetwork again to see if anything has happened with this yet. I will post when I hear a reply...hoefully soon!

Wow!!!! That was quick...Rocky says it has been ruled out with dentals! So now we know!
Carrie,

First I must appologize. I sent you an email back in June...I assumed you recieved it. I should have followed up but I was ill at the time.

This was ruled out via a dental comparison.

Again sorry,

Rock

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:00 PM

While browsing through the Charley Project Males, I came across the profile of John Baptiste Reamer, a white/native american missing from Helena Montana in March 94.

reamer_john.jpgreamer_john3.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reamer_john.html

His pronounced jawline and sloped forehead, combined with his Native American ancestry reminded me immediately of this Washington State John Doe (which I am sure that most of us have seen countless times while browsing UID profiles).

U200500037S_3628.jpg
http://doenetwork.org/cases/73umwa.html

When I located the UID profile, I saw that there was an 8-year lag between disappearance and estimated date of death. I also noted that he left behind his belongings, suggesting that he had not planned his disappearance.

However, a few things in the narrative caught my attention:
(1) Most of his family is rooted in the state of Washington.
(2) He was facing possible incarceration for violation of conditions of probation, thereby giving him an incentive to flee and go into hiding.
(3) His height (5'11" - 6'0") is within the upper estimated range for the UID.
(4) His age at the time of disappearance plus 8 years would make him 33 years old in 2002 (the estimated year of death). This is consistent with the estimated age of the UID.
(5) His White/Native American ancestry is consistent with the UID.

Another small thing, One of the items found with the UID was a gold necklace. In His photo, he is wearing what appears to be a gold necklace similar to the one shown .

This may be a long-shot, but do any of you think that it is worth a shot? BTW, I have a feeling that the jawline in the artist's reconstruction might be a bit exaggerated.

Hm.

In the other photos when Reamer is not grinning to show his pointy chin, his jaw is quite square. The reconstruction looks like one of those that's exaggerated to show prominent characteristics rather than being realistic. And it's from just skeletal remains, right? Those are always funky.

The time line fits. He's got the ancestry and the ties to Washington.

I say yeah, send it in.

I went ahead and submitted. Here is my letter to Mary Manhein, NamUs Case Manager:

Ms. Manhein:

This e-mail is in regards to a cold case involving an unidentified male, possibly white American Indian found on 19-Jun-2004 in the city of Washougal, Skamania County WA (See links)

https://identifyus.org/cases/2054
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?U200500037S
http://doenetwork.org/cases/73umwa.html

While browsing the various missing persons websites, I came across the profile of John Baptiste Reamer, a white Makah Indian, reported missing from Helena Montana in 1994 (See Link).

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reamer_john.html

His pronounced jawline and sloped forehead, combined with his Native American ancestry reminded me immediately of this Washington State John Doe.

At first, I was skeptical of the connection due to the 8-year lag between disappearance and estimated date of death. I also noted that he left behind his belongings, suggesting that his disappearance was either unplanned or involuntary. However, a few of the following details suggest that there might be a connection:

• Facial Features -- Both Mr. Reamer and the UID have squared jawlines, prominent cheekbones and unusually short sloping foreheads (although the jawline in the artist’s facial reconstruction appears to be exaggerated to emphasize prominent characteristics.)

• Ancestry – Makah Indian – UID was described as possibly white American Indian.

• Age – Mr. Reamer was 25 when he disappeared in March 94. He would be about 33 at in 2002, when the UID was estimated to have died. This is consistent with the UID’s estimated age.

• Height – Mr. Reamer stood about 5’11” to 6’0”. This is consistent with the UID’s estimated height (i.e., between 5’7” and 6’0”).

• Circumstances -- Mr. Reamer has family connections, and presumably, a familiarity with the state of Washington. He was facing possible incarceration due to violation of conditions of probation, thereby giving him an incentive to flee and go into hiding for an extended period of time.​

Another small thing, One of the items found with the UID was a gold necklace. In His Charley Project photo, he is wearing what appears to be a gold necklace similar to the one shown (although you cannot see if the necklace has a gold nugget pendant) .

I noted in the UID profile page that DNA is available (presumably meaning that it was entered in the CODIS system). I do not see any indication that a DNA profile for Mr. Reamer was entered in CODIS.

If Mr. Reamer’s DNA profile is not in CODIS, I ask that you look into these cases as a possible match.

I just got a reply from Helen Bouzon from the LSU Faces Lab.

Carl,

I got the dental information from Montana for John Reamer. It does not appear to match our case. I put a call into Sakamania County Sheriff regarding the status of the DNA but have not heard back from them.

Helen

So you can add John Reamer to the excluded list for this UID.

Nice work, Carl. Every ruleout helps. Keep up the good work!

Copying CarlK's post to start the new thread.

There is another thread on this topic, but it is dedicated to a specific possible match, which has since been ruled out. So I am starting a new thread.

The Doe Network:
Case File 73UMWA http://doenetwork.org/cases/73umwa.html
NamUs UP Case File 2054 https://identifyus.org/cases/2054

2715781970045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2728964650045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified Male

* The victim was discovered in August 2003 in Southwestern Skamania County, Washington
* Estimated Date of Death: August 2, 2002 - May 1, 2003
* Cause of Death: Believed to be blunt force trauma to skull.
* State of Remains: Mostly decomposed; some missing bones.

Vital Statistics
o Estimated age: 30 - 45 years old
o Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"-6'0". weight unknown due to decomposition.
o Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly of Asian or Native heritage. Dark brown / black hair; unknown eye color.
Antemortem injuries to left nasal bone and left eighth rib.
o Clothing: One moccasin-type slipper and one wool sock.
o Jewelry: One gold necklace with pendant of soldered gold nuggets.
o Dentals: Available. Amalgam fillings noted on teeth #3(LOBD), #18(OB), #20(O); natural crown and root is partially missing on tooth #22; enamel broken on teeth #8,9 and 27; teeth #1,16,17 and 32 not seen, may be antemortem loss or congenital absence
o Fingerprints: Not Available.
o DNA: Available

Case History
The victim's femur was located in Southwestern Skamania County, Washington in August 2003 by a neighborhood dog.
The rest of the body was recovered June 19, 2004 in a vacant wooded lot in rural Skamania County.

2598215720045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Victims' Gold Necklace

What do you think about this person?

Jonathan Depatie
Missing 8/11/01 from Missoula, MT
Height: 5'10"
Square Jaw

http://www.nampn.org/cases/depatie_jonathan.html

www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/depatie_jonathan.html

It looks pretty good to me. Nothing there to contradict.

You should turn it in to LSU Faces Lab. If you call the Skamania County authorities, they will just refer you to Mary Manheim at LSU. My experience with LSU was very positive, in that that they were very willing to diligently look at tips from the public.

It looks pretty good to me. Nothing there to contradict.

You should turn it in to LSU Faces Lab. If you call the Skamania County authorities, they will just refer you to Mary Manheim at LSU. My experience with LSU was very positive, in that that they were very willing to diligently look at tips from the public.

Seems like a very reasonable submission to me too, and CarlK is right- they are very willing to take a look at possible matches and are very nice, good hearted people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FormerSoldier
Back