Identified! WA - Skamania County, Male, 30-45, May'03 - Name Withheld

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agreed, nobody has a jawline that pronounced, with the possible exception of Steelers mascot Steely McBeam. ;)

Carl, thank you for copying the text of the email you sent. I've written a few such emails myself but it can be awkward so it's helpful to see how others write inquiries to LE.

Fairy1 sent the UID/Depatie match to Skamania Co. Sheriff's Office in March 2009 and brownieccs2009 reported that Rocky from Doe Network said the match had been ruled out by dentals.

That thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79709&highlight=depatie

Agreed, nobody has a jawline that pronounced, with the possible exception of Steelers mascot Steely McBeam. ;)

Has anyone checked Steely's Date of Last Contact? :)

I was going to post that Depatie had been ruled out but ... apparently not. I can't find confirmation of this at least.

This Doe is very similar to another, "Lyle Stevik" who has received much more discussion in the Cold Cases forum. "Lyle Stevik" is the name given by a suicide who checked into a motel then checked out for good - it's also the name of a character in You Must Remember This, a novel by Joyce Carol Oates.

Both are found in the Pacific Northwest with a date of death in the early 2000s (Stevik killed himself 9/17/2001), are fairly tall, fit men in their ~20s with native/Hispanic/white admixture and a very pronounced jaw.

Depatie has been ruled out as "Lyle" but almost any possible match for Lyle is a possible match for this Doe, who was obviously more decomposed, being found around two years after death rather than the day after. (Depatie was much older than the estimated range for Lyle but looked younger and was a student, so possibly also dressed younger).

Oh and for what it's worth, in trying to find a rule out, I found a "Jon Depatie" in Barre NY quite by accident. There isn't another one on Zabasearch, nor is there a Jonathan. It's unlikely to be him but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Michael and UID side by side.

Attachments

• wallace_michael.jpg
    wallace_michael.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 7
  • 73UMWA.jpg
    73UMWA.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 9
I don't see why not. Age, height, jaw forehead all look like possibles to me.

I thought so too, I just didn't want to jump into other people's work. lol I'm a newb at the unidentified stuff, but it is extremely interesting to me...

It looks quite possible to me, too.

Do you think I should make my first attempt at calling this in? LOL Never done this before but was wondering about this guy again today...

Sure you should. It's not that intimidating. The folks at LSU are friendly people.

What do you think about this person?

Jonathan Depatie
Missing 8/11/01 from Missoula, MT
Height: 5'10"
Square Jaw

http://www.nampn.org/cases/depatie_jonathan.html

www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/depatie_jonathan.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

MERGED POST FOLLOWS To bring to first spot.

There is another thread on this topic, but it is dedicated to a specific possible match, which has since been ruled out. So I am starting a new thread.

The Doe Network:
Case File 73UMWA http://doenetwork.org/cases/73umwa.html
NamUs UP Case File 2054 https://identifyus.org/cases/2054

2715781970045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
2728964650045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified Male

* The victim was discovered in August 2003 in Southwestern Skamania County, Washington
* Estimated Date of Death: August 2, 2002 - May 1, 2003
* Cause of Death: Believed to be blunt force trauma to skull.
* State of Remains: Mostly decomposed; some missing bones.

Vital Statistics
o Estimated age: 30 - 45 years old
o Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"-6'0". weight unknown due to decomposition.
o Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly of Asian or Native heritage. Dark brown / black hair; unknown eye color.
Antemortem injuries to left nasal bone and left eighth rib.
o Clothing: One moccasin-type slipper and one wool sock.
o Jewelry: One gold necklace with pendant of soldered gold nuggets.
o Dentals: Available. Amalgam fillings noted on teeth #3(LOBD), #18(OB), #20(O); natural crown and root is partially missing on tooth #22; enamel broken on teeth #8,9 and 27; teeth #1,16,17 and 32 not seen, may be antemortem loss or congenital absence
o Fingerprints: Not Available.
o DNA: Available

Case History
The victim's femur was located in Southwestern Skamania County, Washington in August 2003 by a neighborhood dog.
The rest of the body was recovered June 19, 2004 in a vacant wooded lot in rural Skamania County.

2598215720045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Victims' Gold Necklace

This guy showed up in DoeNet today:

James Dennis Bailey
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4304dmnv.html

2641527830045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2715781970045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2728964650045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

His height is slightly above the range (but not too far for skeletal remains).

but his facial shape is identical to the John Doe.

ETA: I sent an e-mail to Helen Bouzon of LSU faces lab, and she immediately responded as follows:

Carl,
There do not appear to be any dental records which could be used for comparison. However, according to NamUs, DNA has been submitted and will be entered into CODIS. The DNA on the WA case is already complete and in CODIS.
Helen

Not a lot of information to go on, but it sounds like there will be an answer. He does look like the sketches.

Ok, I tried merging Carlk's post to the first spot but it did not work. :( It only merged the first post to carls post of today.

Will try one more time. If not, then they will have to read out of order. :( sorry!
:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FormerSoldier
Back