WA WA - Sky Metalwala, 2, Bellevue, 6 Nov 2011 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Well, you might want to read this article, about a couple who left their child in a stroller outside a restaurant while they ate in the US, as was a common Danish practice. They were a bit surprised that the US frowns on that behavior.

Cultural, it seems. Cultural, to supervise your kids.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/14/n...ide-restaurant-is-returned-to-her-mother.html

I remember this story. I'd say it might be cultural if both parents came to the US as adults, but they did not, they came here as children. Mom has been in the US since she was 10 or 12 according to previous MSM articles.

I understand what you are saying. However, say she hasn't done anything wrong and she takes the test, which shows she's not telling the truth, when she really is. Then the focus will not go where it should anyway.
I checked your link and it does say most states won't admit it. I live in Florida and they are not used in court here. I was only passing along advise from DH, who retired after 40 years as a detective and then police chief.
Didn't mean to upset anyone.

If my child were missing....I'd be lying in the middle of the street screaming for help.

MOO:innocent:

YOU didn't upset me, sorry if it sounded that way. I just want to see this moms head explode and I hate feeling that way towards anyone. My point though is the Dad took the test and it was inconclusive-it didn't clear him but he's going to go through it again. Let's say she takes the test and fails even though she is innocent (let's pretend)-I don't see how evidence would materialize to build a case against her, IF she were innocent. IMO she's guilty but just not sure of what. As far as misdirected focus-I think that's where they are right now-she's being an obstacle in the recovery of her son.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/parents-sky-metalwala-denied-custody-4-year-old-da/nFZYh/

A four year old who hasn't seen him since December says "he's mean". How much of that is based on actual actions on the father vs. Mom's ranting and manipulation shaping her perceptions.

I didn't think it was possible to be disgusted more with Julia. Yet, it keeps piling on.

Yeah, and CPS is not going to want to admit they may have been wrong in their recommendations to the court last year in connection with the custody case, so they will try to stick with the daddy is abusive theory for awhile.

Casey Anthony did that to her myspace. IIRC, she erased dozens of Caylee's pictures on the day she 'went missing.'

It still bothers me that that was never brought up at trial.

That's not true. Anyone with a lawyer is unlikely to take one, and she had advice from her divorce attorney early on.

I will NEVER ever take one again, after having failed one miserably. I was just volunteering to take a poly to help train mall security, I worked in the mall and they were looking for volunteers to help train the polygraphers. I went down in absolute flames, although I told the complete truth on every question and wasn't stressed at all.

If I am accused of a crime later in life, you can bet I will NOT submit to a poly.

They're not reliable. At all. They're like playing a ouiji board.

Uh so no. I'm not going to submit to sitting there while you guys play with a ouiji board to determine whether I'm guilty.

I am an attorney myself. I also feel guilty even when I;m innocent. So I'd probably be like you and fail miserably.

Yet, if my kid went missing I would be on LE's doorstep demanding to take one. LDT's are not evidence. They cannot be used as such in most jurisdictions. They are a tool to help LE narrow things down, shift their focus, etc. I would want to take every step possible to try to clear myself so they could focus on finding my baby. At least, if I was innocent I would.

Also, I think when it is something as serious as a missing child, such a test would be vastly different to take than in another situation. Your responses would be forceful and sincere as you desperately try to help LE find your kid. IMO.

I know everyone is aghast that she left her preschoolers home alone, but I have to add this. In my preschool playgroup there was this french woman married to a german guy, very upper middle class, their home was worth like, 450K.

Both very well educated. Both had masters degrees plus.

They would leave their kids alone, INEXPLICABLY. She'd go grocery shopping for an hour, etc., and she thought nothing of it. As a group of playgroup moms, we told her she would be charged with a jailable offense if she was caught doing this in the US, and it's DANGEROUS.

Just throwing that out. Some cultures think nothing of leaving their preschoolers without any supervision, oddly enough. : (

In this case I don't think it's "cultures". I know French people, German people and dozens from other European and Asian countries and they would be just as aghast as we are. This is a problem with certain people who lack common sense or protective instinct, IMO.

Ok. Well, you might want to read this article, about a couple who left their child in a stroller outside a restaurant while they ate in the US, as was a common Danish practice. They were a bit surprised that the US frowns on that behavior.

Cultural, it seems. Cultural, to supervise your kids.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/14/n...ide-restaurant-is-returned-to-her-mother.html

My mom is from Holland, my dad from Spain. We have many French, German and other friends from Europe. It is decidedly NOT a cultural practice in Europe to leave children alone, unattended.

In Northern Europe, people used to (and sometimes still do, but not as much) leave babies in a pram outside a shop on a warm day. You would see sometimes six prams with babies outside. They did this because warm, sunny weather is hard to come by in the region and they believe it is healthful for kids.

But life is/was different there. People all watch out for each other's children and people didn't go around snatching kids from public places often, especially not babies. Moms would go into small shops (not massive markets like Target or Walmart or Stater Brothers or whatever), and leave the small baby right outside the door, where they could peer out at him or her now and then, while they shopped and visited. It was, unbelievably to us, safe.

But leave a toddler who can walk away alone outside or in the house unattended, drop them off at a park alone? Never. And now with the heavy influx of immigrants from other cultures and the increase in crime, the pram practice has mostly faded.

Even after being arrested for it before? I don't think so.

Yes even after being arrested for it before- especially if they don't believe they did anything wrong in the first place-- see all the "how to train up a child" parents, even after the death of a child these parents believe it is their right- and often continue to blame the child for it's death or injury.

Still really new to WS, but I've been reading about Sky and Baby Lisa obsessively. One thing that stuck out to me about JB's story that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is this: How did JB call her friend if she left her cell phone at home? I know it has been mentioned that she went to a gas station and presumably borrowed their house phone to make the call. But I don't know about you folks -- I, for the life of me, would not be able to call a single person (other than my husband or my mother) because all my friend's numbers are programmed into my cell and I just pick the contact I want to dial. The phone does all the work. I'm 37 and can remember life before mobile phones; JB is 30 (?) and is firmly in the cell phone era. She probably has never had to remember a phone number in her life, they've all been programmed into her phone.

I think I'm rambling, but did anyone else notice this?

Was CPS still involved with this family? I know that when my son was abused and we had an active CPS case the caseworker was required by law here to physically lay eyes on my child at least once every 30 days. I wonder if they had an active case, and if so, when the worker last visited, and when the worker was due to visit next.

Still really new to WS, but I've been reading about Sky and Baby Lisa obsessively. One thing that stuck out to me about JB's story that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is this: How did JB call her friend if she left her cell phone at home? I know it has been mentioned that she went to a gas station and presumably borrowed their house phone to make the call. But I don't know about you folks -- I, for the life of me, would not be able to call a single person (other than my husband or my mother) because all my friend's numbers are programmed into my cell and I just pick the contact I want to dial. The phone does all the work. I'm 37 and can remember life before mobile phones; JB is 30 (?) and is firmly in the cell phone era. She probably has never had to remember a phone number in her life, they've all been programmed into her phone.

Welcome Garv!! Glad you weighed in. That's a very good point. I do know a few people's numbers by heart...my mom, dad, sister, best friend, but only a handful. I'm assuming she either knows it by heart, or wrote it down and brought it with her...which would be odd if you didn't know you were going to "run out of gas." I hope it's a detail the police ask the gas station attendant about. Interesting.

Yes, this has occurred to me too, especially since she didn't have her handbag, only her wallet, so even if she had important numbers written in an address book, it certainly wouldn't be in her wallet. She must have written the phone number down before getting in the car, and LE must have found it.

This is another thing that points towards her unclear thinking. It's like she had a plan, an idea of how to set up the situation, but there are so many holes in it. It's a strange combination of rational and irrational.

Yes, this has occurred to me too, especially since she didn't have her handbag, only her wallet, so even if she had important numbers written in an address book, it certainly wouldn't be in her wallet. She must have written the phone number down before getting in the car, and LE must have found it.

This is another thing that points towards her unclear thinking. It's like she had a plan, an idea of how to set up the situation, but there are so many holes in it. It's a strange combination of rational and irrational.

Do they have phone records or evidence she even called the friend? Perhaps the friend and her pre-arranged a time for her to drive to meet her?

Do they have phone records or evidence she even called the friend? Perhaps the friend and her pre-arranged a time for her to drive to meet her?

The police stated she was astonished to arrive and find Julia without Sky. She states, IIRC, that she took a polygraph. She likes the Find Sky Metalwala FB page. I think she had nothing to do with this.

On another note, I notice that Julia's FB friend list has been rapidly shrinking.

We have too many of these confusing “missing” children cases going on right now. This is just crazy. Sometimes the stories are so weak I almost want to believe them under the thought that no one would be dumb enough make up these stories that have so many unexplainable holes.

Was CPS still involved with this family? I know that when my son was abused and we had an active CPS case the caseworker was required by law here to physically lay eyes on my child at least once every 30 days. I wonder if they had an active case, and if so, when the worker last visited, and when the worker was due to visit next.

Yes. Reports are that there had been several referrals to CPS about the family. When and by whom and what outcome, I do not know.

The running out of gas story is what gets me. If you thought you were running out, wouldn't you keep driving until you would be close as possible to a gas station? Not to mention, she used to live in the area, so she knew where they were.

Most vehicles manufactured in the last decade have a surplus after the warning comes on. I know mine can go another 30 miles according to the manual. Why wouldn't you try to coax your car to go another mile to the gas station, then to just park, and leave your child with unlocked doors.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a Melinda Duckett case and Sky is never found.

Just a few thoughts after catching up...

- I might be able to excuse her leaving the children as a cultural factor (but probably not) if, and only if, she had not a) been in trouble for it previously; b) had not become a US citizen a decade ago; c) had not been residing in the US for the substantial amount of her life. I've only lived in the UK for a few years but it was my responsibility to learn the laws of my adopted country.

- I am not a mental health professional though I am married to one. ;) I do not believe if she murdered Sky that it was a psychotic break. This is just my opinion but psychotic women are prone to victimise more than one child (e.g. Andrea Yates) OR one child was murdered while the others were spared because they were not in the home at the time (e.g. Dena Schlosser). Typically psychotic women also are more likely to confess immediately after the murder. I cannot recall a psychotic filicide that involved a convoluted, if seemingly haphazard, cover up. (Doesn't mean there isn't one but I can't think of it.)

I do have to say I could be totally wrong because she very closely fits known demographics of psychotic maternal filicides including past homicidal ideations and a history of mental illness. At this time I am still leaning towards non-psychotic - admittedly though it could just be me being a harda** too. :) There is a well established link between filicide and suicide (more prevalent in paternal filicide). For maternal filicides suicide of the mother occurs in 16-29% of cases. It occurs more in psychotic episodes.

This is a study of psychotic vs. non-psychotic filicides for those interested. From the conclusion:
Many of the cases in our sample involved women with multiple, severe stressors, including financial problems, housing problems, ongoing domestic violence, worsening mental illness, limited social support, conflict with family members other than sexual partners, and serving as primary caregiver for at least one young child. These stressors have been identified as motivating in studies of maternal filicide. Perhaps because of or in addition to these stressors, one in three women in the sample (psychotic and nonpsychotic) had severe conflict with the father of their children within days of the filicide.

http://www.jaapl.org/content/31/4/459.full.pdf+html

From another study researching the link between filicides and suicides I found this interesting:
One mother of two was in the midst of a custody dispute with the father that involved only one of the children (whom she believed would be in danger from the father). She killed only the child involved in the dispute and herself.

http://www.jaapl.org/content/33/4/496.full.pdf+html

I know I sound like a broken record, but mom stopped that car at that particular spot for a reason. She used to live at that very apartment complex. The car was not out of gas and started right up when LE tried it, so she pulled over right there on purpose.

Why did she stop at that very spot and who does she know that still lives at that complex? That person/persons is who LE needs to question and poly.

I know I sound like a broken record, but mom stopped that car at that particular spot for a reason. She used to live at that very apartment complex. The car was not out of gas and started right up when LE tried it, so she pulled over right there on purpose.

Why did she stop at that very spot and who does she know that still lives at that complex? That person/persons is who LE needs to question and poly.

Do we know what apartment complex she used to live at? I knew it was in the area but didn't recall hearing which one.. I will add it to the map if you can give me the address/link etc

tia

Do we know what apartment complex she used to live at? I knew it was in the area but didn't recall hearing which one.. I will add it to the map if you can give me the address/link etc

tia

This is all I have:

"Sam Metalwala, Solomon's brother, said Sky's mother once had an apartment in the neighborhood where the car was found on Sunday and that she may have been there because it was a familiar place."

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/be...ph-test-133433438.html?commentPage=4#comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo