Identified! WA - Snohomish Co., WhtFem 516UFWA, 15-22, hitchhiker, Aug 1977 - Lisa Roberts

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if this unidentified girl might be Margaret Kay Holst, age 18, who disappeared from Omaha, Nebraska on 4 August 1977.

View a photo of Margaret Kay Holst, 18, missing 4 August 1977 from Omaha, NE at:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2589dfne.html

View a composite sketch of an unidentified homicide victim from 1977 (Courtesy of Snohomish County Sheriff's Office) at:

http://www.theheraldbusinessjournal.com/article/20080501/NEWS01/97575371/0/images

LINK to Margaret's thread on Websleuths Missing Forum:

NE NE - Margaret Kay Holst, 18, Omaha, 4 Aug 1977 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thanks for the post, Richard! Margaret has been mentioned before....she is not on the rule out list...but there was some discussion about the distance creating a low level probable match.

35 years yesterday, SJD was found.

I hope this is the year we find your name.

Hi! First time posting here, but this case always bothers me. Just wondering if anyone has thought of Nancy Jason as a possible identity? I see she hasn't been ruled out. Nancy appears to be a bit shorter, but you never know when she had been measured last. She was known to have hitchhiked.

Hi! First time posting here, but this case always bothers me. Just wondering if anyone has thought of Nancy Jason as a possible identity? I see she hasn't been ruled out. Nancy appears to be a bit shorter, but you never know when she had been measured last. She was known to have hitchhiked.

Welcome to Websleuths, Mopp: :welcome:

Here's the link and a side-by-side of Nancy Jason and "Precious Doe" so everyone knows who you are talking about.

jason_nancy.jpg
photophp.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/jason_nancy.html

There is a pretty good resemblance. The height is a little low, but for skeletal remains, not too low.

The timeline is just right.

Washington State is quite a ways away from where she was expected to have gone (i.e., Florida), but stranger things have happened.

I was in contact with Snohomish LE today to see if any new rule outs had been made. Det. Scharf response:

"Nothing new to report. I’ve been tied up on other cases and have not been able to work on this case for some time. I appreciate it that she is not being forgotten."

I sent him links to several of the newer cases in NAMUS that have been discussed as possible matches.

Welcome Mopp! So thrilled to have another interested in Precious Snohomish Jane Doe.

I think based on some research I did on Nancy Jason and the cult she was supposed to be following, unlikely that she would have been in the WA region.

But, like CarlK said, stranger things have happened!

On a search for Carlene Tengelsen your comment came up. I realize it is old. Which case are you talking about here?

Finally read Rose for her Grave about Randy Roth. In it, he refers to his brother's crime several times. In one version, she was a hitchhiker (male) who killed his Uncle.

In another, she was a young woman he recognized from their home state, North Dakota (where the family lived prior to moving to Washington state). After a fight, he strangled her.

DM's statements and some of the biographical info from Rule's book suggest to me that if she knew him from North Dakota, maybe she was a relative (as we have talked about for) and maybe she threatened to tell his mother after he made a pass at her.

Based on the info on his "abnormally" close relationship with his mom, it wouldn't be a far stretch for this to set him off and also maybe a possible reason why there was no evidence of sexual assault...

Some ancestry searches reveal that several ND families migrated to the Everett Washington area between 1950s-1980s, so its not unbelievable that he may have known SJD.

I now believe that SJD was not reported missing, or if was, discrepancies in early description have lost any missing reports to time.

Just hoping the person (or persons) who hold the clues to her identity do the right thing. Since DM has already served his time doesn't seem like anything punitive can come of the truth.

Thanks to WS member Ricochet, I was able to locate the sophomore and junior year photos of Laurie Allison Smith from the 1970 and 1971 Las Cruces High School yearbooks. Ricochet was able to obtain her middle name and that her her hometown was Las Cruces. She had been attending college at Pima Community College in Tucson.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12469/0

Lauriesmithsophmore_zps397c7f141.jpg
lauriesmith_zps553482881.jpg

These photos were taken about 6-7 years prior to her disappearance, but I couldn't help but notice her amazing resemblance to Precious Doe

lauriesmith_zps553482881.jpg
photophp.jpg

All in all, I would say probably not, primarily because (1) she is a little too short compared to PD, and (2) the circumstances suggested by her then boyfriend on the www.missingin.org site suggest that she was likely the victim of a homicide in Tucson AZ. But I had to put it up nevertheless because the resemblance is so close.

BTW, for some reason, I am unable to access the missingin.org site.

they have both nuc and mt DNA for the UID and for Laurie it says for DNA "Sample submitted - Tests complete". so whether they got one type or the other, presumably if the UID were Laurie, it would have been a match (assuming of course Laurie's DNA was added to CODIS).

All in all, I would say probably not, primarily because (1) she is a little too short compared to PD, and (2) the circumstances suggested by her then boyfriend on the www.missingin.org site suggest that she was likely the victim of a homicide in Tucson AZ. But I had to put it up nevertheless because the resemblance is so close.

BTW, for some reason, I am unable to access the missingin.org site.

What do y'all think of this gal? I didn't see her on the rule-out list.

Phyllis Berry
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/544dftx.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2927/8

Negatives would be distance of last known location- Texas
Height- listed at 5'5.... However, I noticed that Namus shows Phyllis as 63"-67". That's still a bit of a long shot, but closer.
Weight estimate of PD does not sound like the "slender build" described of Phyllis. Although she could have gained or filled out a bit in the time she was missing.

Positives: Hair style, possibly life style- but there's really very little info about Phyllis.
No known tattoos or scars that rule her out. A birthmark could be distorted in postmortem decomp, and I don't know that the investigators would make note of a "freckle" on PD hand. The small space between her front teeth doesn't seem real obvious to me in her pictures.

My suspicion is that Phyllis was probably murdered by the guy she was seen riding off with, or someone in his group. But she certainly could have taken off on the road in the free-spirit style of that time. Terlingua is where she is listed as missing from, but I doubt that's where she lived. Odessa PD is listed in Namus as a contact, and that's much further up toward NM. There was a notation added in Namus just in Oct of 2012- I wonder if they are looking at Phyllis' case again. I just wish we knew more about her.

Glad to see this thread going strong. Kudos to everyone for keeping up the search. If needed, and to get this UID more exposure, I can design a UID web and print flyer. See my fb page for more info: BOLO FLYER

Not many details on this lady, but was just added to Charley Project in March, 2013.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/tharp_nancy.html
tharp_nancy4.jpg

Her characteristics say Blonde, but this photo looks like a dark blonde/light brown.
She favors Snohomish Jane...

About a year ago, when she was added to NamUs, I found a woman in Facebook with the same name, who looks spot-on like this MP would look if she was about 35 years older. I pointed her out to the NamUs Regional Administrator. I don't know if anyone ever looked into it though.

I created a hi-res web flyer for everyone to pass around and post on the internet so this case can get more exposure. Great for emailing. There is also a hi-res 8.5x11 CMYK print flyer available on my facebook page, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho
Back