WA WA - Tyler Christensen, 16, Mukilteo, 19 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The main reason I think he's a runaway is the dad discouraging people from searching. I admit I'm not religious so maybe I have some cultural misunderstanding that prevents me from getting this, but if you think someone took your kid or your kid is missing and possibly hurt in the woods, why do you stop the public from helping? If law enforcement couldn't find my missing son and I was worried he was stranded off an embankment with two broken legs and no phone, you can sure bet I would personally pound down every neighbor's door until we had every trail full of searchers. I don't get it. I understand they did request surveillance video from nearby owners days later and uncovered nothing significant. There's property crimes here but non-property crimes against strangers are practically unheard of here IMO. The pockets of Lynnwood there have some less desirable activity but it's across the speedway and still not violent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people have trouble accepting help, even when they need it the most. Maybe the father was raised with the mind-set that I am the father and I should be able to protect my family. Even though we all know we need help sometimes with everything. I really feel for Tyler's family and friends.

Is anyone else in PNW area as frustrated and perplexed by the lack of media coverage on Tyler's disappearance as I am?! I went to King 5's facebook page today to see what they were saying about it, and I had to scroll for what felt like miles, past a bunch of silly posts, to get to the ONE post they had about him on April 20th. No coverage since then that I could tell. That seems so odd to me! In the days that followed his original disappearance, I kept checking back and expecting to see updates as well as interviews with friends and family members and LE, either pleading for help or pleading for him to just come home, depending on what they think the circumstances are. That would seem to be the typical, normal response. Plus, most people know nowadays that the way to get the public involved is to keep the story circulating on the news and in social media. Keep it trending and get it out everywhere!!!

The original case that brought me to Websleuths was the mysterious disappearance of Bryce Lapisa. His family and friends did a great job of keeping his face and story in the public eye. Their response to the situation seemed so much more genuine and authentic. The only public posting I have been able to find about Tyler so far was one public post from his sister and one from a friend. If they can post once publicly, why not dozens of times?!?! What happened after their initial posts that made them decide to go quiet?

I'm not accusing the family of anything, I'm just frustrated. It's been a week almost! If he was snatched or is lying injured somewhere, it feels like time is running out. So I am feeling very anxious about the fact that there seems to be a bizarre silence and a seeming disinterest from local media, the family, this boy's church, etc. It feels like somebody close to this case needs to get some fire under them and get the ball rolling! Should have already been doing that since day one. Unless they just know something/figured something out that they refuse to share publicly.

Is anyone else in PNW area as frustrated and perplexed by the lack of media coverage on Tyler's disappearance as I am?! I went to King 5's facebook page today to see what they were saying about it, and I had to scroll for what felt like miles, past a bunch of silly posts, to get to the ONE post they had about him on April 20th. No coverage since then that I could tell. That seems so odd to me! In the days that followed his original disappearance, I kept checking back and expecting to see updates as well as interviews with friends and family members and LE, either pleading for help or pleading for him to just come home, depending on what they think the circumstances are. That would seem to be the typical, normal response. Plus, most people know nowadays that the way to get the public involved is to keep the story circulating on the news and in social media. Keep it trending and get it out everywhere!!!

The original case that brought me to Websleuths was the mysterious disappearance of Bryce Lapisa. His family and friends did a great job of keeping his face and story in the public eye. Their response to the situation seemed so much more genuine and authentic. The only public posting I have been able to find about Tyler so far was one public post from his sister and one from a friend. If they can post once publicly, why not dozens of times?!?! What happened after their initial posts that made them decide to go quiet?

I'm not accusing the family of anything, I'm just frustrated. It's been a week almost! If he was snatched or is lying injured somewhere, it feels like time is running out. So I am feeling very anxious about the fact that there seems to be a bizarre silence and a seeming disinterest from local media, the family, this boy's church, etc. It feels like somebody close to this case needs to get some fire under them and get the ball rolling! Should have already been doing that since day one. Unless they just know something/figured something out that they refuse to share publicly.

We share your frustration, but you will find your answer in post #130 on page 9 of this thread.

I'm wondering if there is reason the family might suspect that Tyler hurt himself. It would explain the silence by LE as well as the request by family that there not be a huge community search effort.

Either way, I can't imagine a parent not wanting to find their child. Very confusing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Some people have trouble accepting help, even when they need it the most. Maybe the father was raised with the mind-set that I am the father and I should be able to protect my family. Even though we all know we need help sometimes with everything. I really feel for Tyler's family and friends.

IMVOO
When your child is missing u take all the help u can get to find him or her!

Tyler is a really good kid. Devoted to his family and his church. Very wholesome life. It's hard to explain, but he's not the runaway type.

Maybe he didn't want his life to be so Wholesome!
Maybe craved a little excitement!
A little adventure!

Tyler is a really good kid. Devoted to his family and his church. Very wholesome life. It's hard to explain, but he's not the runaway type.

A little adventure!

I always roll my eyes a little when people (not you) say "they're not the type to run away". Any teen could run away.

If Tyler ran away, it could be that he wanted a bit more adventure. Or it could have nothing to do with the home situation at all. If there was anything in his life going on that he felt he wanted to run from, he would per definition 'run away from home' - because that's where he lived, with his parents. That doesn't mean he's running away from his parents or home situation.

That said, a couple of things that I've read in this thread about what's been going on made me raise my eyebrows. In my many years on Websleuths I've obviously seen quite a bit of the dark side of people... and I guess my hinky meter is starting to come to life a bit. I hope I'm just jaded from the bad cases we've had on here and there's nothing nefarious going on within the family... since we've been told LE is taking this disappearance seriously, I hope that if they suspected such they'd call out their own search parties, even if it is against the family's wishes.

A little adventure!

Wouldn't a teen who loves his family and wouldn't want them to worry or call the police leave a short message letting them know he went on such an adventure?

Yes! I'm in the PNW and have looked at all the sites. For awhile KIRO and Q13 seemed to be the most investigative about this, but they must not be reporting because there's literally nothing to report. Maybe because the family requested that nothing is reported, but would news really honor that? I mean, it's the news. But yes, I've been perplexed.

I always roll my eyes a little when people (not you) say "they're not the type to run away". Any teen could run away.

If Tyler ran away, it could be that he wanted a bit more adventure. Or it could have nothing to do with the home situation at all. If there was anything in his life going on that he felt he wanted to run from, he would per definition 'run away from home' - because that's where he lived, with his parents. That doesn't mean he's running away from his parents or home situation.

That said, a couple of things that I've read in this thread about what's been going on made me raise my eyebrows. In my many years on Websleuths I've obviously seen quite a bit of the dark side of people... and I guess my hinky meter is starting to come to life a bit. I hope I'm just jaded from the bad cases we've had on here and there's nothing nefarious going on within the family... since we've been told LE is taking this disappearance seriously, I hope that if they suspected such they'd call out their own search parties, even if it is against the family's wishes.

Putting everything together, I wonder if there was an argument between him and a parent right before he left. So they knew he was supposed to go to the church group, or hoped, but really were concerned maybe he took time away from the family. But with no communication, maybe they are confused about their presumptions....

[modsnip]

I've seen these pics circulating, including a few more. Curious if these came from the family, or friends?

* One of their neighbors (who I know very well) reported that the officers who knocked on their door did not ask about security camera footage. They later checked their logs and found footage of Tyler running by (notably, he had no backpack or any other visible items on his person, which confirms that he was likely not planning anything out of the ordinary). They made a CD of the footage, but the police haven't picked it up yet. They live very close, so the footage probably doesn't tell the police much. He (my friend) plans to go around asking the other neighbors to check their camera logs, since it seems the police haven't been doing that.

rsbm

I'd like to know more about this from LE... like the exact time of this, which direction he was running, how he was running (i.e. a jog, or like he was trying to get away from someone), was anyone else seen approx. 5-10 minutes before or after Tyler was on tape (was he running after someone who may be ahead? From someone who may have followed?).

Tyler not having anything on him could also point to him having left home in a hurry for some reason.

I mean no disrespect to the parents and family, especially during this time of crisis for them, but I'm getting the impression something within the family circle is being protected or is trying to be covered up.

I read the FB search group posts over and over again last night. I have been involved in helping coordinate a search before. I want to give the family the benefit of the doubt and just say that they were having a hard time figuring out how to pull it all together in the beginning. I think the Dad was being protective of his family and he has now let Tyler's older sister sort of take over the FB group. It seems they weren't all on the same page as to how that would be used, how information would be disseminated, etc. It's pretty common for that kind of dischord or lack of cohesion in the early stages of setting something up. Most of us here have the benefit of reviewing umpteen missing persons cases. Many of us have been involved in searches. But the average person who suddenly finds themselves in this terrible situation has no idea how to get started, how to set the tone and pace, how to coordinate, etc. I want to hope that this family was just experiencing those same struggles in getting Tyler's search up and going and that the lack of information and closed off vibe was personality driven or a circumstance of logistics and not actual hiding of information.

I'm free this Thursday, Friday, and next weekend. If Tyler is not found by then, I was thinking about setting on foot, doing my own search. I might even lurk around the Slavic church around the corner, too. Does any know the exact path/trail/route that Tyler always took to get from his home to the church over here in the Harbour Pointe area?

They have not released it but one of the search flyers indicated that he was last seen in the 5300 block of Picnic Point Rd. There are several ways to get over there - if he even went that way.

I'm wondering if there is reason the family might suspect that Tyler hurt himself. It would explain the silence by LE as well as the request by family that there not be a huge community search effort.

Either way, I can't imagine a parent not wanting to find their child. Very confusing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sadly, I have wondered this, too. He left with nothing on him. But I sincerely hope he just ran away.

Was it something shared by the family or an official on their Help group page or was it in a comment or reply by someone else?

Sorry - it was a comment made by someone who was sharing the missing poster on FB.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53
Back