WA WA - Tyler Christensen, 16, Mukilteo, 19 April 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have been thinking about this case since early this morning. If Tyler wasn't running away, perhaps he was unexpectedly ambushed somewhere along the way, like in a trail, or was followed. Perhaps a person (or persons) he trusted knew the route he would take, and took advantage of the environment/setting and the time of day. I must admit, these woods in this area are super creepy during the day... and at night.

I have been thinking about this case since early this morning. If Tyler wasn't running away, perhaps he was unexpectedly ambushed somewhere along the way, like in a trail, or was followed. Perhaps a person (or persons) he trusted knew the route he would take, and took advantage of the environment/setting and the time of day. I must admit, these woods in this area are super creepy during the day... and at night.

Is there a lot of gang activity in the area or is it just in certain areas? On the thread about Jose, who went missing in the same area you mention gang activity: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Lynnwood-29-Aug-2015&p=12493691#post12493691

With all the woods in the area and possible gang activity or even homeless camps within the woods police don't know about, that is worrying...

I wondered about other possible scenarios, too. He's 16. Others in whatever social circle he had would be getting their drivers licenses. Perhaps a friend or acquaintance drove by and stopped and picked him up. And then...something happened? I wouldn't even think that someone would need to lay in wait for him to run down a trail - someone untoward could have just been there waiting for anyone to run by...or been there hanging out and saw an opportunity.

The lack of MSM coverage and LE's seeming slow-down on the search does lead me to think that they have information they are not releasing and that the scenario they think is most probable lacks the sense of urgency that a suspected abduction or fall down a ravine would bring on.

Is there a lot of gang activity in the area or is it just in certain areas? On the thread about Jose, who went missing in the same area you mention gang activity: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Lynnwood-29-Aug-2015&p=12493691#post12493691

With all the woods in the area and possible gang activity or even homeless camps within the woods police don't know about, that is worrying...

No, no gang activity here in Mukilteo that I know of and I've lived here for 12 years. I do know activity is very prominent in the Lynnwood and the Everett areas. But the possibility of a homeless camp could possible as I know that Mukilteo has been having serious issues this last year, and recently, with aggressive homeless panhandlers at the Mukilteo QFC supermarket and their parking lot.

It's a relatively upscale area, I would say. There's neighborhoods that have gang activity but they are far removed. I think there is probably some drug use but I wouldn't guess gangs. A neighboring school has more gangs, according to my husband, but they wouldn't trickle into Mukilteo/Picnic Point Road much. It's pretty safe for walking/etc.

Been looking at the Mukilteo Beacon's online Police Beat for the Log of 911 calls to Mukilteo police for the week of April 6 to see if anything stood out before Tyler went missing. I found this listed:

Property – 12300 blk Harbour Pointe Blvd.

A caller reported finding a suitcase in the woods. The suitcase was full of clothing and booked as found property.

This was the area the suitcase was found...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...2!3m1!1s0x549003883f38b131:0xd2e74815f5acab9e

I always roll my eyes a little when people (not you) say "they're not the type to run away". Any teen could run away.

If Tyler ran away, it could be that he wanted a bit more adventure. Or it could have nothing to do with the home situation at all. If there was anything in his life going on that he felt he wanted to run from, he would per definition 'run away from home' - because that's where he lived, with his parents. That doesn't mean he's running away from his parents or home situation.

That said, a couple of things that I've read in this thread about what's been going on made me raise my eyebrows. In my many years on Websleuths I've obviously seen quite a bit of the dark side of people... and I guess my hinky meter is starting to come to life a bit. I hope I'm just jaded from the bad cases we've had on here and there's nothing nefarious going on within the family... since we've been told LE is taking this disappearance seriously, I hope that if they suspected such they'd call out their own search parties, even if it is against the family's wishes.

*Bolded by me. Same here I'm afraid. Broadly speaking I'd say there are only two scenarios plausible that would fit in with LE's response in this case so far.

Based on LE's and the family's seeming lack of urgency to locate Tyler I believe it's most probable they're already privy to information and evidence that would lead them to think Tyler left of his own accord and is either somewhere in hiding(stationary) and is for some reason waiting it all out or has run away and is still on the move possibly en route to his planned destination. In this scenario I would give more credence to him voluntarily disappearing but staying nearby with friends or acquaintances. I'm not sure how likely it'd be to suggest he's still moving or covered a lot of distance in the time he's been missing since he'd need to have taken some personal items. Even if we made the argument that he purchased a disposable phone, he'd still need the cash to do that not to mention at least a backpack with some clothing. Either way I'm getting the vibe that whatever he's doing or wherever they think he's at they don't deem him to be in danger.

The second scenario I think is also plausible given the circumstances is that LE have some irrefutable evidence to suggest Tyler's deceased and the reason why they're not acting in a more public way is that they already have a solid suspect and don't want to spook him. I've observed this approach before in other high profile cases where (at least on the outside) it seemed LE weren't doing much while it later came to light that a lot was going on behind the scenes. If this is the case here(and I pray to God it's not) and law enforcement have little or no physical evidence or a body but are certain they already have their man, it would make sense to put him/her under surveillance and just bide their time.

I know we don't have a whole lot to go on here in terms of evidence, witness accounts or even family/friends public statements but based solely on the behavior displayed by LE and the family I'd say the above two hypotheses have significant merit. At this point I've completely discarded the theory that he might have suffered an accident because I have to believe that if the parents didn't have indisputable evidence to the contrary they would be leading searches all over the area. If they even suspected that a fall or an accident was possible I think both LE and the family would be doing extensive searches.

I'll keep reading here and praying for a swift and positive resolution to this case. It's always so sad when a young life is thrown into limbo - neither gone nor found, neither dead nor alive.

Again praying for the parents.

Tyler's sister just posted to the Help Find Tyler FB group page that Lindsay Cohen with KOMO News just interviewed her. Should be on the 6 o'clock news tonight.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1724064874515029/permalink/1725694341018749/

Wow, very odd wording in that post by his sister!!! To "talk about Tyler"? To "learn more" about him? It doesn't say to help with the search, etc. although yes the hashtags indicate that's still active. But this does NOT sound like what I thought it would. Very strange. It does make me think they know more about what's going on, it's suspected to be intentional, etc. Wow. Maybe they think he's worried his family will be mad that he left and he's scared to come home, etc. Wow.

Wow, very odd wording in that post by his sister!!! To "talk about Tyler"? To "learn more" about him? It doesn't say to help with the search, etc. although yes the hashtags indicate that's still active. But this does NOT sound like what I thought it would. Very strange. It does make me think they know more about what's going on, it's suspected to be intentional, etc. Wow. Maybe they think he's worried his family will be mad that he left and he's scared to come home, etc. Wow.

I tend to think that she was just trying to craft an eloquent post. All of her posts seem to be carefully worded and well spoken. You may be right - and certainly the tone is not an urgent one - but I also think it may just be part of her personal communication style. Given the dischord with Dad early on in the search, she may be trying to tread lightly to preserve her family's privacy and/or dignity. I do agree that it sounds more and more like they know he is alive.

Can we talk about the $1500 reward for information leading to a safe return? How are reward funds usually generated? Are they usually so low? This is a small community with average incomes in or very close to six figures. Plus, they are in a culdesac and a church and Dad works at a very large employer - places where people would want to contribute. Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like my immediate neighbors here would drum up a significant award in a day for the safe return of my missing son. I think this also suggests an accident in the woods is out. I remember seeing $1500 the night it seemed would be his last alive if he was really in the woods and thought it was odd. I don't know this family from any other in our neighborhood, but I and all my neighbors would give $1500 in a heartbeat to have him home safe if we were working from the understanding he's not a runaway. I am not really familiar with how small or large rewards usually are but this seemed odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we talk about the $1500 reward for information leading to a safe return? How are reward funds usually generated? Are they usually so low? This is a small community with average incomes in or very close to six figures. Plus, they are in a culdesac and a church and Dad works at a very large employer - places where people would want to contribute. Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like my immediate neighbors here would drum up a significant award in a day for the safe return of my missing son. I think this also suggests an accident in the woods is out. I remember seeing $1500 the night it seemed would be his last alive if he was really in the woods and thought it was odd. I don't know this family from any other in our neighborhood, but I and all my neighbors would give $1500 in a heartbeat to have him home safe if we were working from the understanding he's not a runaway. I am not really familiar with how small or large rewards usually are but this seemed odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I've thought $1500 was very low and doesn't give a sense of urgency. It's more like they want information rather than expecting to find him, as they maybe know he doesn't want to be found. I can't wait for the KOMO interview!

From Cohen's story, it states:

"He was running late and so he was going to jog," said Andy Christensen, Tyler's dad. "He has a certain trail he takes that can get him there pretty quickly. That was the last that we saw him."

I would like to know where this "certain trail" is so I can walk it myself.

Lindsay Cohen's story is already on KOMO's website:

'It gives us hope that he's out there:' Family prays for teen's safe return

http://komonews.com/news/local/it-g...-out-there-family-prays-for-teens-safe-return

It definitely comes across IMO as a plea to TYLER...not to a possible abductor, not to the public to search trails/ravines/woods.

I don't understand the part about him running late and therefore decided to jog. Jog vs walk? If he was running late, wouldn't he a) get a ride from a parent or older sibling or other youth group member and/or b) wouldn't he call or text that youth pastor that said Tyler always texted him if he was planning to attend?

The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday that the investigation into missing 16-year-old Tyler Christensen of Mukilteo points toward him “making plans to leave the area and that he left his home on his own volition.”

Finally some answers! Some sense of what's going on!!!

Wow. Well, I think the family's interview with KOMO may have been better timed if they had a) been more forthright and b) gotten their message out ahead of the SD. And now I am totally curious about that suitcase!!!!

Runaways deserve to be looked for, too, but the question then becomes what are they running from and who will be looking for him vs who he will be willing to come back to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back