WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is “Lyle Stevik”. He was found 10 years ago, alone in a hotel room and sad enough to feel that there wasn’t much worth left in his life. He went far away, perhaps in the hope that anyone close to him would not know where he was, for whatever reasons unknown to the rest of the world. A man young enough to have graduated high school only a few years prior or maybe just recently graduated high school, depending on what his real age was. But “Lyle Stevik” isn’t his name at all. In fact, nobody knows what his real name is.

Who was he? A son? Grandson? Brother? Nephew? Uncle? Boyfriend/fiancé? Someone’s BFF? A co-worker? Honour student? Valedictorian? Immigrant/Refugee?

Where was he from? Canada? Another part of the US? An overseas democracy? A war torn country? A dictatorship?

What were his reasons? Was he fleeing from abuse? Was someone going after him? Was he jilted? Was he suffering from psychological trauma? A death of a parent, lover, or a friend? Persecution?

This is “Lyle Stevik”. He was found 10 years ago, alone in a hotel room and sad enough to feel that there wasn’t much worth left in his life. He went far away, perhaps in the hope that anyone close to him would not know where he was, for whatever reasons unknown to the rest of the world. A man young enough to have graduated high school only a few years prior or maybe just recently graduated high school, depending on what his real age was. But “Lyle Stevik” isn’t his name at all. In fact, nobody knows what his real name is.

Who was he? A son? Grandson? Brother? Nephew? Uncle? Boyfriend/fiancé? Someone’s BFF? A co-worker? Honour student? Valedictorian? Immigrant/Refugee?

Where was he from? Canada? Another part of the US? An overseas democracy? A war torn country? A dictatorship?

What were his reasons? Was he fleeing from abuse? Was someone going after him? Was he jilted? Was he suffering from psychological trauma? A death of a parent, lover, or a friend? Persecution?

It is just beautiful Outofthedark. Perfectly stated.

I keep thinking that if 'Lyle' knew there would be people dedicated to him years after his death, he never would have committed suicide.

As the title suggests--I hope you'll bear with me, because I'm coming in from out in left field with some thoughts on this case. All my opinion, all just speculation based on reading through all the threads and some googling and some out-of-the-box thinking.

1. Lyle (for lack of better name) was extremely thoughtful, private, and meticulous in his suicide. Thoughtful seems an odd word, but I think he tried to do it in a way so as not to hurt people close to him. I think it even bothered him that the maid he met two or three times might open the door to such ugliness and made the sign "Suicide" to put on the door to warn her then decided instead to hang himself the other way (back to door) so the public note wouldn't be on the door, insuring his absolute privacy, like the window cover and pillows and moving rooms. This was a ritual to him--probably played over thousands of times prior to actually doing.

2. For a meticulous, detail oriented person with a well-thought out plan, some pieces don't make sense, most especially for me--- Why misspell Stevi(c)k? I don't think he would have. I think he had every detail planned, including the check-in name. I think he was educated, as everyone else does, and it was a private joke or inside meaning maybe only with himself. I absolutely think he had the name in mind and did the misspelling on purpose. Now here is where I go to left field.....Lyle Stevik is an anagram for either Y Kill Steve or Kill Stevey. Which I figured out prior to getting to the part of the first thread about the A.S.H posting by "Steven" a few days prior. More on that in a minute. Anytime I see a fake name, I just doodle around immediately for an anagram...so he knows the name from some book he had to read in college, maybe, and had figured out at some point what a clever clue it was?

3. Why the Idaho address? My guess is that is where he stayed the night before. As the threads prove out--he has a multi-ethnic, normal guy, blend right in, face. Motel/hotel staff see "him" a hundred times a week. So three weeks later when the local LE go to the Idaho motel? Assuming he didn't stand out, and I bet you he would have made sure not to, nobody would remember him. He was probably sure he was entirely forgettable--who else would kill themselves if they didn't think that?

4. Why is nobody searching for him? Family? Friends? Colleagues? Because they know he is dead or they think he moved on. Think about the timing.

Between 20-30 years of age--he could be a college or grad student. Says goodbye for the year to his friends and colleagues in May and just doesn't show back up in September when school starts. People may inquire, email, call but in the end, assume, he just dropped out and went on to something else. Didn't you have friends that just didn't come back to college and you lost touch with pretty quickly if they didn't respond? And at that point, it is easy to drop 30-40 lbs over a summer without anyone inquiring about it.

And going back to how thoughtful he was (I know, weird word for the most selfish thing a person can do, IMHO) I cannot imagine he didn't write goodbye notes at some point to whoever his loved ones were. I know most people don't, but no aspect of this puts him in the "most people" category. I, heartbreakingly, don't think he will ever be identified off of missing persons because I doubt he was ever reported missing. His family knows he committed suicide and if he told them they wouldn't find him, perhaps they didn't want to prolong their agony and just accepted....this was not an impetuous act, so my guess is his loved ones knew the truth in the note....and maybe want to NOT find a body to believe he didn't do it?

5. Could he be "Steven"? I absolutely think so and feel pretty sure he was. Steven's primer described a bit of a different ending for him, but when I read that, it felt false. He wouldn't share, even in death, something that private--his exact method--with the world, it felt fake when reading it the first time---my goodness, what guy would borrow another guy's *advertiser censored* ring to commit suicide?? That makes no sense from everything else "Steven" said in his text--assured, self-deprecating, aware, amused, sardonic, committed, educated. A belt would have been much more in line, I think. A belt that maybe was part of the whole ritual--"once I get to X notch, I will do it", something like that. Much more like the voice of the man who wrote that email.

Also, yes, the dates are off but I think taking out bad assumptions, or allowing other assumptions, they work perfectly. The webmaster at ASH noted that he/she assumed note was sent on a time delay and, as such, the author was successful. Bad assumption, again IMHO, when it was finalized and sent 30 minutes prior to the first plane hitting the WTC. So he puts it on a delay send---what maybe 30 minutes? an hour? much more and he has too much time to chicken out and the sending of the note makes him work on a "deadline"--it gets sent and he can't pull it back and feels he "has" to go through with it.

It gets sent-- why? Ok, maybe because he was successful, but, just as likely, because the phone lines all went bezerk at 8:15, less than a half-hour after "last updated" by him--not just on the east coast but particularly on the east coast. All circuits were busy everywhere!

Also possible? Method didn't work, he lost consciousness, lived, someone found him, rope broke, who knows...but probably email set to be sent prior to him recovering and getting back to his computer.

Another possibility? Steven, also being extremely detailed, meticulous and "thoughtful" like Lyle, notes in his missive that it will be horrible for the loved ones who find him. Let's presume he then intended to do it away from his loved ones to save them the trauma. Maybe he lives away from them (student theory) Maybe he finalized the note and heads off to the airport to fly somewhere to do it--with the ritual/sacred rite feel of his text, I could see him making a vacation of it. Well, that didn't work. The planes stopped flying pretty quickly that morning and the entire US airspace was closed until the end of that week, IIRC. So, he is foiled with flying, but, the note is already sent. No amount of meticulous preparation could foresee 9/11 happening the same day you decide to off yourself! People were going about their daily business---I was in the middle of sending a fax when someone said a plane hit the WTC, maybe he was in the middle of carrying out his long-planned suicide if that was his daily business, you know?

6. Gray's Harbor, WA then? The timeline works, though, from about 1/2 to 2/3 of the US, unfortunately. Working backwards, and I am discounting Canada for many reasons but this is already too long so maybe another time, he arrived there on 9/14, using the address of hotel about a day's Greyhound away from there in Idaho. Backtracking from there, adding in Greyhound's routes and time tables (obtained from website), Gray's Harbor from Portland, from Boise (Meridian) from Salt Lake City from (a) most of the SW US, (b) Denver thus most of the midwestern US. Easy trip from Chicago, St. L, Kansas City, not even riding bus overnight. If riding bus overnight, can be from anywhere pretty much.

As CCM said, his town is pretty much the end of the earth. I live in NH and could tell you exactly where people think the eastern end of the earth is--in Maine.

All in all, very depressing because I think he was never reported missing, is missed but known to be dead by loved ones, could have come to Gray's Harbor by Greyhound from pretty much anywhere in the continental US--many of the northern states having accents like Canadians (I would think a WA resident could easily assume a Chicagoan is Canadian with only a 30 second check-in conversation--the o's and a's), made sure no friends or colleagues would be looking for him, left a few clues because he was too smart not to want to brag about his "feat" in some manner (ie name and ASH missive) and as such there is a very low likelihood he will ever be identified unless a friend/loved one/colleague/whomever happens across this forum or others about him. Extremely sad but I cannot see any other answers based on the information available.

I would love to be wrong and I know I'm coming from left field, but I just don't see how to narrow down from those possibilities, which makes the task of ID like a needle in a haystack.

To get from Meridan, ID to Amanda Park, WA takes over 10 hours by car. Unfortunately, I couldn't get directions for public transit.

If he was from Canada, it would take less than that if he resided in the BC area, but YOU have to take a ferry if you're coming from Victoria (4 hours by car + ferry, more than that if you take public transit). If you're coming from Vancouver and anywhere in BC, it's also 4 hours by car.

I've been to Victoria several times, and there's three parts to getting there from Vancouver. 1st half involves taking the bus, the 2nd half is taking the ferry, and the 3rd half is (again) taking the bus to your destination.

He could have been driven half-way and then might have taken the bus for the rest of the route.

To get from Meridan, ID to Amanda Park, WA takes over 10 hours by car. Unfortunately, I couldn't get directions for public transit.

If you mean publically-run transit, not Greyhound or something, then I do not think it is likely. He'd have to find a public bus across state lines, then from Spokane to Seattle, which is pretty sparsely settled.

From Seattle, it can be done (Kingston->Edmonds via Sound Transit, ferry to Kingston, Kingston->Poulsbo via Kitsap Transit, Poulsbo->Amanda Park via Jefferson Transit), but why if private bus was available the whole way?

If you mean publically-run transit, not Greyhound or something, then I do not think it is likely. He'd have to find a public bus across state lines, then from Spokane to Seattle, which is pretty sparsely settled.

From Seattle, it can be done (Kingston->Edmonds via Sound Transit, ferry to Kingston, Kingston->Poulsbo via Kitsap Transit, Poulsbo->Amanda Park via Jefferson Transit), but why if private bus was available the whole way?

I did mean public transit. Mind you, I got these directions from Google Maps. They only have a category for public transit buses, and I don't know what a private bus would fall under :confused:

Greyhound provides the times:

http://www.discoverypass.com/times.asp

and their route map is available on the website too.

Lyle paid for the extra days of the hotel, knowing they could never collect, I think a Greyhound (when airspace was closed) seems about consistent with that.....he had the cash, it appears.

JMO!

Greyhound provides the times:

http://www.discoverypass.com/times.asp

and their route map is available on the website too.

Lyle paid for the extra days of the hotel, knowing they could never collect, I think a Greyhound (when airspace was closed) seems about consistent with that.....he had the cash, it appears.

JMO!

Thanks for the info.

I'm not a big fan of coach buses, because I'm not a patient person and I can't handle waiting for the bus drivers nor would I want to be on a bus for more than 1-2 hours straight.

I almost have the FB page ready to go. Before I start creating it, would anybody like to chip in an idea for the page name? We need a name that grabs someone's attention, and my page name idea is too generic.

Does anyone know if Lyle Stevik's appendectomy scar was a normal scar or an exaggerated scar starting at his appendix? Did he have scars from drains? This information can save me a lot of stress. I am waiting on DNA comparison results between Lyle Stevik and my brother who has been missing for fourteen years. He weighed 250 lbs the last time I saw him and the writing is almost identical to my brother's goodbye note 14 years ago. I have MS and the stress is exacerberating it so it is hard for me to sit up and type. Please message me and post if anyone knows.

If this is my brother - he was a mama's boy who cut the apron strings the only way possible. He went out to make his mark on the world. He left a note written in box letters and a semi cursive signature leading us to believe he had committed suicide by stating "MY TIME HERE IS UP. NO BLAME EXSEPT MY OWN." I have been searching for someone who died in 1997 and never really looked far past that date until someone sent me the Doenetwork profile for Lyle Stevik thinking there was a strong resemblance if you took 100 lbs off of my brother. If it is not my brother than I do not know where to look next.

Can anyone tell me for sure if Patrick Beavers has been ruled out? I see that his name has come up a few times in discussion, but I have yet to find that he has been compared officially to Lyle. A family member of Beavers has asked me to take a look at his case and I want to get my "ducks in a row" before I start investigating. Thanks.
Patrick Beavers has not been ruled out yet. They are just now doing the DNA comparison. Who is the family member who asked you to look at it? I'm curious as I do not know of any other family members who are doing internet searches.

Patrick Beavers has not been ruled out yet. They are just now doing the DNA comparison. Who is the family member who asked you to look at it? I'm curious as I do not know of any other family members who are doing internet searches.

Does anyone know if Lyle Stevik's appendectomy scar was a normal scar or an exaggerated scar starting at his appendix? Did he have scars from drains? This information can save me a lot of stress. I am waiting on DNA comparison results between Lyle Stevik and my brother who has been missing for fourteen years. He weighed 250 lbs the last time I saw him and the writing is almost identical to my brother's goodbye note 14 years ago. I have MS and the stress is exacerberating it so it is hard for me to sit up and type. Please message me and post if anyone knows.

I think it was definitely normal, it had happened several years prior (my guess) as DN said it "was old". There's no available photos of the scar, so I'm just going by my presumptions. The original detective (coldcaseman) didn't quite elaborate on the state of the scar (other than it being old), but I could message him and ask, if he does reply back.

I'm sorry to hear about your MS, and I really hope you do find answers.

When I spoke with the detective currently on the case he had asked about my brother's scar and I told him it started at his appendix and was a huge scar due to his appendix being in the wrong place. I asked if "Lyle" had a normal appendectomy scar and he did not answer. So I asked again and he still did not elaborate. I then told him that I guessed he wasn't going to answer me. That is why I am asking this question here. It would tell me if the dna analysis they are supposed to be doing is a waste of time and money or if there is a definite probability. Do I keep looking elsewhere cross or uncross my fingers? If this turns out to be my brother it would leave a lot more unanswered questions - like where he would have been for four years. I am hoping it is not him, but at the same time we need to know what happened to him.

My brother is missing from Idaho and his favorite movie was in German Stalag 13. His birthdate is 1018 and he deliberately mispelled Exsept in his goodbye note. He was an avid book reader and a loner who often lived in his books. He did not drive and had only had one girlfriend in his lifetime a long time ago. He walked everywhere for miles and miles. He only wore boots and always wore a tee shirt and long sleeve shirt. There are numerous 10 dates of import in our family. It recently came to light that he may have been headed to Alaska to seek work on a fishing boat as someone recently told my mother's husband they had told him that they were hiring in the weeks before his disappearance. Our mother is blind and she depended on him heavily hence the reference to mama's boy and cutting the apron strings. If this does not turn out to be him than any help anyone could give us would be appreciated. He had an exaggerated appendectomy scar from exploratory surgery. Hazel eyes and dark brown hair and weighed about 250 lbs last time I saw him. He had no identification with him as he cut it up and hid it in a trunk.

When I spoke with the detective currently on the case he had asked about my brother's scar and I told him it started at his appendix and was a huge scar due to his appendix being in the wrong place. I asked if "Lyle" had a normal appendectomy scar and he did not answer. So I asked again and he still did not elaborate. I then told him that I guessed he wasn't going to answer me. That is why I am asking this question here. It would tell me if the dna analysis they are supposed to be doing is a waste of time and money or if there is a definite probability. Do I keep looking elsewhere cross or uncross my fingers? If this turns out to be my brother it would leave a lot more unanswered questions - like where he would have been for four years. I am hoping it is not him, but at the same time we need to know what happened to him.

I'll try Lane Youmans (aka. "coldcaseman" on the forum), he helped us out quite a bit with details and answered our questions. He's here on and off, so I could have a chance of seeing a reply. One of our posters did talk with the current detective, and Lyle is pretty much on the backburner right now, because he's working on missing persons cases, or that of a missing person (I'd have to re-read the message that I was forwarded).

Starstruck106, my heart goes out to you, I so hope that you will find out soon whether this is your brother.
The tension you are feeling must be unbearable. I'm thinking of you here in England :hug:

My brother is missing from Idaho and his favorite movie was in German Stalag 13. His birthdate is 1018 and he deliberately mispelled Exsept in his goodbye note. He was an avid book reader and a loner who often lived in his books. He did not drive and had only had one girlfriend in his lifetime a long time ago. He walked everywhere for miles and miles. He only wore boots and always wore a tee shirt and long sleeve shirt. There are numerous 10 dates of import in our family. It recently came to light that he may have been headed to Alaska to seek work on a fishing boat as someone recently told my mother's husband they had told him that they were hiring in the weeks before his disappearance. Our mother is blind and she depended on him heavily hence the reference to mama's boy and cutting the apron strings. If this does not turn out to be him than any help anyone could give us would be appreciated. He had an exaggerated appendectomy scar from exploratory surgery. Hazel eyes and dark brown hair and weighed about 250 lbs last time I saw him. He had no identification with him as he cut it up and hid it in a trunk.

The coroner does not remember the pathologist mentioning if the scar was exaggerated and he has not gotten back to me if there were any other scars from surgery so I am still waiting.

I believe Patrick Beavers is ruled out at this point. Lyle probably has family somewhere searching as diligently as I have been for the last 14 years. Don't think that because he hasn't been identified that they are not out there looking. It is like looking for a needle in a haystack and you eliminate one person after another. I will suggest Lyle on any future persons who match him that are a close match for my brother as well.
Lyle had a 2.5 inch normal appearing appendectomy scar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly