WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a DNA test be able to prove Lyle was Native American or not?

Would a DNA test be able to prove Lyle was Native American or not?

23 and me Ancestry Service. $99

IIRC, Colleen Fitzpatrick did it for Banjaman Kyle. I believe the ME has to contact 23 and me to get the info uploaded

I was going to post about it; 2-3 months ago but got busy

Benjaman Kyle - *As of November 2012 noted forensic genealogist Colleen Fitzpatrick is collaborating with DNA testing company 23andMe for pro bono autosomal testing. By compiling an extensive family tree based on his DNA matches, she has identified a set of second cousins from the Western Carolinas who are collaborating with her to determine Benjaman's identity.

The mystery of 'Lyle' has remained (as I think he knew it would), sadly, now for 12 years and it is still poignantly haunting the minds of even more people.
I believe that the scrunched-up hand written note that read, 'SUICIDE' was written by Lyle and left in his room in a very obvious place when he was observed alternately, 'pacing' and 'walking' beside the two-lane highway, as described by the hotel manager.
I think he was contemplating throwing himself out in front of a passing car but decided that this might be an unsuccessful method of suicidal operation, in that it might be that he might cause an accident of some type if a car swerved to avoid him, or that he might actually be injured and left alive but maimed and so he chose to abort this idea.
Upon returning to his room he then screwed up the note and threw it in the waste bin as it would not be required to prove that hanging himself was an intentional act.
I think he fully recognised that throwing the screwed up message 'SUICIDE' into the waste basket was a symbolic representation of the action he was about to engage in that was the throwing away of his life by committing suicide.
I believe after reading the (very much appreciated) actual investigating officer's special contributions to this forum that Lyle was a medically educated and trained person because of the comments made on the nature of his studious handwriting, and the fact that he chose to choke off both of his carotid arteries with a ligature and even knew that there would be some jerking spasms after he lost consciousness which might rouse neighbors in the next room, hence the placement of the pillow against the wall in the closet. That kind of knowledge isn't general in society.
However, it's also possible that if there was, as speculated, a backpack accompanying 'Lyle' when he arrived at the motel then it contained something which he had arranged to give to someone he was to rendezvous with at the side of the highway on the same day the manager saw him pacing beside the highway.
That may well have been money and could have been in connection with the recent events of the attacks on the U.S. of September 11, 2001.
I doubt that idea though.

Excellent post, brett! I totally agree with one slight difference: IMO, he crunched up and tossed the note not as symbolism but because he no longer needed it. Had he walked into traffic, the note would have ensured that investigators would know it was an intentional act. There would be little doubt, however, by hanging himself that it was anything but intentional, so the note wasn't needed. Just my opinion.

The mystery of 'Lyle' has remained (as I think he knew it would), sadly, now for 12 years and it is still poignantly haunting the minds of even more people.
I believe that the scrunched-up hand written note that read, 'SUICIDE' was written by Lyle and left in his room in a very obvious place when he was observed alternately, 'pacing' and 'walking' beside the two-lane highway, as described by the hotel manager.
I think he was contemplating throwing himself out in front of a passing car but decided that this might be an unsuccessful method of suicidal operation, in that it might be that he might cause an accident of some type if a car swerved to avoid him, or that he might actually be injured and left alive but maimed and so he chose to abort this idea.
Upon returning to his room he then screwed up the note and threw it in the waste bin as it would not be required to prove that hanging himself was an intentional act.
I think he fully recognised that throwing the screwed up message 'SUICIDE' into the waste basket was a symbolic representation of the action he was about to engage in that was the throwing away of his life by committing suicide.
I believe after reading the (very much appreciated) actual investigating officer's special contributions to this forum that Lyle was a medically educated and trained person because of the comments made on the nature of his studious handwriting, and the fact that he chose to choke off both of his carotid arteries with a ligature and even knew that there would be some jerking spasms after he lost consciousness which might rouse neighbors in the next room, hence the placement of the pillow against the wall in the closet. That kind of knowledge isn't general in society.
However, it's also possible that if there was, as speculated, a backpack accompanying 'Lyle' when he arrived at the motel then it contained something which he had arranged to give to someone he was to rendezvous with at the side of the highway on the same day the manager saw him pacing beside the highway.
That may well have been money and could have been in connection with the recent events of the attacks on the U.S. of September 11, 2001.
I doubt that idea though.

I believe his deliberate misspelling of 'Stevik' as oposed to 'Stevick' also was, so as to ensure that the reference to the novel, 'You Must Remember This' would become significant in the later search for his true identity, because, well 'you must remember this' is something that he has certainly managed to get the public to do for twelve years now, hasn't he?

It also makes me wonder whether the place he chose to commit suicide, 'Amanda Park' is also an actual deliberate clue he's left behind?

I wonder this because, not only is there a novel which 'Lyle' (imho) deliberately connected himself to in an unmistakeable way by deliberately misspelling the surname of the character he was 'impersonating' there is also the song, 'You Must Remember This' which is attached to the romantic movie 'Casablanca'.
In that film there is a broken romance to which the song 'You Must Remember This' is irrevocably connected, and to such a degree that the piano player is violently forbidden to play it by the movie's main protagonist. (Without giving away too much of the story, if you've never seen it.)

I think that perhaps there was a broken romance connected to 'Lyle' and the woman whom he had had a relationship with or had been in love with and had never had the love reciprocated by might have actually been named 'Amanda Park'.
I wonder if there are very many Amanda Parks with online profiles and if any of them might recognise 'Lyle'?

I just did a quick Facebook people search and am going to send this message to the first Amanda Park I have on the list,

'Hi,
You do not know me, but I am part of an online group investigating the identities of unknown missing persons called 'Websleuths'.
We are currently investigating a 12 year old mystery that I believe you may have some knowledge of that could lead to the identity of a missing person being identified. It's a long shot and a very strange case, and if you're interested in looking at some information regarding why you've been contacted please search for the 'Lyle Stevik' Facebook page created by one of the members of 'Websleuths'.
Thanks for reading,
sincerely...'

There were only about seven on Facebook, surprisingly. I will let you know what responses I get.

A paramedic? First Aid trained?

Maybe one or both of his parents were either medical professionals or they might have been employed in a morgue.

A paramedic? First Aid trained?

Maybe one or both of his parents were either medical professionals or they might have been employed in a morgue.

I always saw "Lyle" as leaning more towards being an engineering major, but I guess he could have been pre-med. I really like the idea about one or more of his family members being in the medical profession. It might not necessarily be his parents, maybe an older brother or sister?

Hi
So far I've been met with stony silences, however I looked through some of their pages and one of the Amanda Parks that I've attempted to contact is from Korea and lives in Washington and I noticed she has a little brother who bears a few similar features to Lyle.
I wonder if anyone else thinks so too?

Here's a link to his FB page,
<modsnip>

I know it's a long shot, but I really get the feeling that there's a lot of deliberate 'coincidence' in this aspect of how this tragic story has been made to unfold.
Maybe it'd be worth just trying to 'friend' them all with Lyle's FB page, so at least they'd get to see his face before they decided it was just another spammer?

Even if it's a nothing lead, isn't it amazing how it has forced a part of the ongoing investigation to involve even more people to become aware of Lyle's story, almost forcing those who've come along afterwards to have to continue to 'remember this'?

She lives in Forks, Washington which from what I can ascertain is about 60 miles/120 km from Grays Harbor, Washington and very close to the Canadian border and it's connected directly by highway 101.

She lives in Forks, Washington which from what I can ascertain is about 60 miles/120 km from Grays Harbor, Washington and very close to the Canadian border and it's connected directly by highway 101.

i'm not following. you're contacting people named amanda park because he killed himself in a place called amanda park? be careful. i applaud any attempts to think outside of the box but the people on the receiving end are going to think someone crazy is sending them messages so don't get yourself in trouble.

i'm not following. you're contacting people named amanda park because he killed himself in a place called amanda park? be careful. i applaud any attempts to think outside of the box but the people on the receiving end are going to think someone crazy is sending them messages so don't get yourself in trouble.

I appreciate your concern, but I am crazy.

I don't think that's a good idea either. And I can't send invites through the group, people have to ask me if they can join.

And I think it might be against Websleuth rules to contact people outside on social media, etc.. not 100% sure, but believe people have been banned so to speak.. be careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly