WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering just going back through Namus state by state and looking at each missing person case, rather than just the ones that fit his specs. I work for a law enforcement agency and back in the day I would book people into the booking system from the booking slip that the officer would fill out. Then I would proceed to run the suspects criminal history and warrants, etc. More than once I wouldn't be able to find anything on someone who obviously had a record, so I would try to match tattoos listed on the criminal history against the suspect. On one specific occasion, I found a possible match, but according to the system it was a white guy
with red hair, while the suspect in custody was Hispanic. As it turned out, the suspect in custody was a very light skinned Hispanic with light brown hair that could've been mistaken for red hair. Then I realized that it really depends on the person taking the initial report and how they see the person in question. Our Lyle might be in Namus somewhere described totally different than what we see. So I'm gonna give it a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I totaly agree...as we know dead people look most of the time quite different from what they looked like in life. To train the eye I compare post mortem pics, reconstructions and pictures of people who have been identified and lot's of times they look very different. About the descriptions, you are also right...where I would say brown hair, you could be saying something different. With Lyle we have a lot of reconstructions and morque pics, so a broughter picture, but maybe it also blurs the eye...if you look, as we say, through your lashes and in a different corner maybe you can find him. It's a lot of work just going through all the pictures en reading all the files (again) but If you are willing to...great!

I totaly agree...as we know dead people look most of the time quite different from what they looked like in life. To train the eye I compare post mortem pics, reconstructions and pictures of people who have been identified and lot's of times they look very different. About the descriptions, you are also right...where I would say brown hair, you could be saying something different. With Lyle we have a lot of reconstructions and morque pics, so a broughter picture, but maybe it also blurs the eye...if you look, as we say, through your lashes and in a different corner maybe you can find him. It's a lot of work just going through all the pictures en reading all the files (again) but If you are willing to...great!

Exactly. It's driving me crazy that nobody is looking for him. But it could be that someone IS looking for him, and we just haven't found them yet. [emoji17]

Have you ever been to a viewing where the person's face looked nothing like what you see in the casket? Happened with my dad.

You have to look at the various photos of Lyle because he looks different. He looks very Native American in some of them but it may not be what he actually looked like while alive.

What Happens to My Body Right After I Die?
Hour 1 - At the moment of death, all of the muscles in the body relax, a state called primary flaccidity. Eyelids lose their tension, the pupils dilate, the jaw might fall open, and the body's joints and limbs are flexible. With the loss of tension in the muscles, the skin will sag, which can cause prominent joints and bones in the body, such as the jaw or hips, to become pronounced.

Hours 2 to 6 - Beginning approximately in the third hour after death, again depending upon numerous factors, chemical changes within the body's cells cause all of the muscles to begin stiffening. Known as rigor mortis, the first muscles affected include the eyelids, jaw, and neck. Over the next several hours, rigor mortis spreads up into the face and down through the chest, abdomen, arms and legs until it reaches the fingers and toes.

Hour 12 and Beyond - After reaching a state of maximum rigor mortis, the muscles will begin to loosen due to continued chemical changes within the cells and internal tissue decay. This process occurs gradually, over a period of one to three days, and will be influenced by external conditions such as temperature (cold slows the process down). Rigor mortis dissipates in the reverse order in which it occurred, i.e., from the fingers and toes, through the arms and legs, and then up through the chest to the neck and face. Eventually, all of the muscles will again relax, reaching a state known as secondary flaccidity.

Thank you for the info. I haven't ever so I have no idea what that would be like. Thnak goodness.

I'm considering just going back through Namus state by state and looking at each missing person case, rather than just the ones that fit his specs. I work for a law enforcement agency and back in the day I would book people into the booking system from the booking slip that the officer would fill out. Then I would proceed to run the suspects criminal history and warrants, etc. More than once I wouldn't be able to find anything on someone who obviously had a record, so I would try to match tattoos listed on the criminal history against the suspect. On one specific occasion, I found a possible match, but according to the system it was a white guy with red hair, while the suspect in custody was Hispanic. As it turned out, the suspect in custody was a very light skinned Hispanic with light brown hair that could've been mistaken for red hair. Then I realized that it really depends on the person taking the initial report and how they see the person in question. Our Lyle might be in Namus somewhere described totally different than what we see. So I'm gonna give it a shot.

Awesome. Let us know how you get on. Someone must be looking for our Lyle, they just must be.

Does anyone know who the actor Paul Wesley is? I saw him on the front cover of something or other in the store the other day and thought of Lyle. Just his features. Very defind. That same jaw shape. Obviously I'm not saying Lyle is Paul's long lost brother lol. But I mean, I googled him and turns out his parents are polish. I wonder if Lyle could be too with sharing their distinct features.

Either that or you guys think Paul looks nothing like Lyle and I am just losing the plot :)

What happened to the investigator? I know he would post early on in the case. Did he retire? Do we know who the new investigator is?

The original investigator is now the coroner. The people on Reddit are in contact with both the coroner and detective.

Does anyone know who the actor Paul Wesley is? I saw him on the front cover of something or other in the store the other day and thought of Lyle. Just his features. Very defind. That same jaw shape. Obviously I'm not saying Lyle is Paul's long lost brother lol. But I mean, I googled him and turns out his parents are polish. I wonder if Lyle could be too with sharing their distinct features.

Either that or you guys think Paul looks nothing like Lyle and I am just losing the plot :)

I wonder how Polish his parents really are. He looks like the typical European (Polish, Hungarian, German). If you go to the DNA thread I started you'll see how mixed I am

Has anyone done their DNA for genealogy?

I see the Paul Wesley resemblance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't think you are totaly crazy :santahat:

The original investigator is now the coroner. The people on Reddit are in contact with both the coroner and detective.

I wonder how Polish his parents really are. He looks like the typical European (Polish, Hungarian, German). If you go to the DNA thread I started you'll see how mixed I am

Has anyone done their DNA for genealogy?

True, true. I didn't think of that. Just taken it for what I have read.

Good :) You are one of only a few.. haha.

Ty, stood in a shop talking under my breath going 'Lyle!' So I think I am a little crazy haha.

Ever met a "normal" person? And did you enjoy it? You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane...No we're never gonna survive unless. We are a little. Cray cray crazy....

But most of the time very serious......

Might Lyle Stevik be someone who "should have" died in the terrorist attacks of September 11th? He could have been written off as a casualty and that's why no one's looking for him.

If this is the case, he must have already been severely depressed (evidenced in part by that drastic weight loss) before the attacks. Afterwards (after many of his coworkers died) he suffered survivor's guilt on top of the existing depression, which made him follow through with the suicide he'd likely been contemplating for a long time.

EDIT: All my own opinion, my own speculation, of course.

Might Lyle Stevik be someone who "should have" died in the terrorist attacks of September 11th? He could have been written off as a casualty and that's why no one's looking for him.

If this is the case, he must have already been severely depressed (evidenced in part by that drastic weight loss) before the attacks. Afterwards (after many of his coworkers died) he suffered survivor's guilt on top of the existing depression, which made him follow through with the suicide he'd likely been contemplating for a long time.

EDIT: All my own opinion, my own speculation, of course.

I think this is definitely an option. As long as there no other voices in that hotel room like the maid thought.

Or I thought maybe he lost his only loved one in there that day.

I think 9/11 has been mentioned before. Is there a database of those missing with photos? That might be a good place to start...

I don't want to dismiss the 9/11 theory completely, but wouldn't he have had to get across the length of the country in just four or five days – which, given that he arrived in Amanda Park by bus, is a bit unlikely?

Has anybody heard the name Anthony Janvier mentioned in relation to this case? Janvier was last seen in Cold Lake, Alberta (1200km from Amanda Park, WA) in April 1998 but wasn't reported missing until five months after Lyle's death because of his "transient lifestyle". He would account for the possible Canadian accent that hotel staff reported hearing – and would it explain why US police have found it difficult to identify Lyle? Janvier is listed as 6'1, Lyle 6'2. Janvier would have been 25 at the time of Lyle's death, which is almost bang in the middle of the predicted age range for Lyle. Both have brown eyes, even though Janvier was a little heavier than Lyle when he disappeared. And significantly, Janvier is described as being 'aboriginal'.

The similarities between them are certainly striking – Janvier has the same eyebrows, jawline, top lip and an attached earlobe, from what I can tell from the RCMP's pictures. And that nose...

They're not a spitting image by any means – there are marks on Janvier's face that don't quite seem to match up with morgue photos of Lyle, including a small scar adjacent to his right eyebrow. But the similarities, the timings, the distances...? Anybody else see it?

I don't want to dismiss the 9/11 theory completely, but wouldn't he have had to get across the length of the country in just four or five days – which, given that he arrived in Amanda Park by bus, is a bit unlikely?

Has anybody heard the name Anthony Janvier mentioned in relation to this case? Janvier was last seen in Cold Lake, Alberta (1200km from Amanda Park, WA) in April 1998 but wasn't reported missing until five months after Lyle's death because of his "transient lifestyle". He would account for the possible Canadian accent that hotel staff reported hearing – and would it explain why US police have found it difficult to identify Lyle? Janvier is listed as 6'1, Lyle 6'2. Janvier would have been 25 at the time of Lyle's death, which is almost bang in the middle of the predicted age range for Lyle. Both have brown eyes, even though Janvier was a little heavier than Lyle when he disappeared. And significantly, Janvier is described as being 'aboriginal'.

The similarities between them are certainly striking – Janvier has the same eyebrows, jawline, top lip and an attached earlobe, from what I can tell from the RCMP's pictures. And that nose...

They're not a spitting image by any means – there are marks on Janvier's face that don't quite seem to match up with morgue photos of Lyle, including a small scar adjacent to his right eyebrow. But the similarities, the timings, the distances...? Anybody else see it?

I do see it. And the scars etc could have come across him after his disappearance since there was a 3 year gap between his disappearance and Lyle's deaths.
I am not sure if Anthony has been discussed here before but :goodpost:

ETA: Also, Anthony has numerous aliases - which could account for 'Lyle Stevik.'

Sorry I was a bit unclear with my first post, the scar was on Janvier's photo before he disappeared. But you're right, that could be explained away with time, or just poor morgue photography.

Sorry I was a bit unclear with my first post, the scar was on Janvier's photo before he disappeared. But you're right, that could be explained away with time, or just poor morgue photography.

Sorry I was thinking of it the other way around ...my mistake :)

This is definitely one to look into. I hope some of the other sleuthers who have been on Lyle's thread a little longer than me can shed any light into if Anthony has been discussed/ruled out.

Oh by the way!! I didn't realise you were new here. That was a great first post!!

:wagon:to WS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member