WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe you are right about him being on the run, I have thought about that also. But it is one of those things that you can speculate endlessly about with no concrete answer. Did he have mental health issues? Depression? Money troubles? Relationship woes? A death in the family? Problems at work etc.? We may never know. All that we do know is that he had a life he felt like he could not or did not want to return to.

Sometimes I think some of these unidentifieds are from the WITSEC that the FBI knows who they are but chooses to not identify them.

He has fingerprints avaliable, would that not of been flagged up when they were entered in to the system?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Great news, everyone!

/r/lylestevik mod Urbex announced that LE is working on isotope testing for Lyle!

I can't wait to see what the results will tell us about him.

Great news, everyone!

/r/lylestevik mod Urbex announced that LE is working on isotope testing for Lyle!

Awesome it will be good to hopefully figure out who he is and maybe put a name to him once and for all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Great news, everyone!

Wonderful news!

Great news, everyone!

How long would that normally take?

How long would that normally take?

I think in the Baby Massachusettes Doe it took them a month I believe.

It's official, this man is not Ilijah Dukic.
I just got this email message from Gray's Harbor PD which was ironically sent to me 9/11/15.
I missed it but just found it now.
My apologies.

'Brad Johansson <Baj@co.grays-harbor.wa.us>

We were able to check fingerprints and Dukic is not the John Doe referred to as Lyle Stevik. Thank you for your interest.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:32 PM
To: Brad Johansson
Subject: FW: Agency Case Number: 01-7870 NCIC Number: U960002335'

It's official, this man is not Ilijah Dukic.
I just got this email message from Gray's Harbor PD which was ironically sent to me 9/11/15.
I missed it but just found it now.
My apologies.

'Brad Johansson <Baj@co.grays-harbor.wa.us>

We were able to check fingerprints and Dukic is not the John Doe referred to as Lyle Stevik. Thank you for your interest.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:32 PM
To: Brad Johansson
Subject: FW: Agency Case Number: 01-7870 NCIC Number: U960002335'
Well at least we know that, hopefully the isotope tests reveal something helpful.

Hello, everyone, I've been following this case for months now. It's a real head-scratcher!

I've read all the posts in this forum now (there's a lot of information! Come back, ColdCaseMan! <3) so here are a few thoughts I have that I don't think have been covered in too much detail. Sorry about the long post but I have 1001 questions!

1. This was a conversation on Lyle's Facebook group recently that I found interesting. I wondered what you guys thought. What on earth is this in the motel room under the towels? Photo here. It looks like sheets of drawing paper to me (size A1?); someone else suggested it was a shelf liner but it looks too big in my opinion. If it's paper, the motel wouldn't have provided this, surely? I can't see any in the first room (room 8) either. Perhaps he bought it from the store; if so, what happened to the pens/pencils? If it is paper and it was Lyle's, wouldn't that suggest Lyle was a keen sketcher/painter of some kind? An insight into who he was a person? This would be a great place to come and paint; the natural landscape of this part of WA is beautiful. Thoughts on what this 'thing' is?

2. I'm confused about the motel to be honest. Why aren't there any reviews from previous guests anywhere? Why are they not featured on any travel guide sites? How do they attract travelers without a website*, a rarity in 2015? Not a single review in the 15+ years since they opened? Are there any locals on WS who can tell us more about this place? Why Lyle was attracted to this establishment? How did he know about it?

* They list their website on their Yellow Pages listing as a computer repair business called '4D Computers' in the Lacey, WA, area. What's all that about?

3. Who was there on Monday morning when Lyle was found? I read on here that the maid said that Lyle was the only person checking out on Monday morning (so he told them when he was leaving) but yet BW and GB* were not on the premises, right? He came to the motel after being called by the maid; she was in Olympia as per the case file. So if Lyle didn't do what he did, who would have collected his room keys and the money he owed? The maid? Is that usual practice?

* It didn't dawn on me until I read the case files again but GB would have only been in his mid-twenties at the time, right? I know that nothing to do with anything but he had amassed a mini business empire by a young age (someone on here said he owned the grocery store as well)! Good for him.

4. The fact that Lyle left so much money puzzles me (enough for four nights I think), but that's been covered in great detail already on here.

5. Anyone notice that a whole roll of toilet paper has been used and thrown in the bathroom garbage bin? There's also what looks like rolled up tissue/toilet paper in the room bin too (the one with the newspaper). It looks hard - as if it's been wet.

6. To establish whether someone is "pacing up and down" the highway suggests that Lyle was being watched for a considerable amount of time. He wasn't just pacing, but rather pacing "up and down". However, the motel is not on the main road according to Google Maps, so I wonder how BW knew this. Unless someone who was working at the grocery store told her (echoing point 3 about the store/motel being connected).

7. I know eyewitness testimony are flawed at the best of times, but one would imagine that you could remember if someone had a backpack or not (BW said she couldn't be certain). They had two interactions - when Lyle checked in and when he changed rooms - and I imagine she would have seen him from the back as he exited the front desk area. How many people would she had checked in that weekend, anyway? Less than 10? This isn't a Hilton where hundreds of guests are coming and going; I thought a detail like this would be remembered only a couple of days after the fact, but obviously not. This also differs from GB's statement where he says that Lyle arrived with no bags of clothes.

8. "The subject was seen by several people standing on the porch of his room on Saturday afternoon." That's it? Didn't these "people" go into any further detail? It's all a bit vague.

9. Was Lyle wearing his underwear inside-out? Or is that the label from the Levi's jeans? Can anyone tell? Photo is NSFW.

10. According to the case files, the maid never actually managed to clean the room that weekend (Lyle refused room service on Saturday but asked for clean towels, and then flat out "sent her away" on Sunday!). Yet, the bag in the bathroom garbage bin looks like it's been emptied to me (the bag isn't fitted to the bin like it is in room 8). I wonder if Lyle disposed of his belongings in this bag?

The only answer i know is the label is from his jeans, he had the top turned over because they were too big

Hello, everyone, I've been following this case for months now. It's a real head-scratcher!

I've read all the posts in this forum now (there's a lot of information! Come back, ColdCaseMan! <3) so here are a few thoughts I have that I don't think have been covered in too much detail. Sorry about the long post but I have 1001 questions!

1. This was a conversation on Lyle's Facebook group recently that I found interesting. I wondered what you guys thought. What on earth is this in the motel room under the towels? Photo here. It looks like sheets of drawing paper to me (size A1?); someone else suggested it was a shelf liner but it looks too big in my opinion. If it's paper, the motel wouldn't have provided this, surely? I can't see any in the first room (room 8) either. Perhaps he bought it from the store; if so, what happened to the pens/pencils? If it is paper and it was Lyle's, wouldn't that suggest Lyle was a keen sketcher/painter of some kind? An insight into who he was a person? This would be a great place to come and paint; the natural landscape of this part of WA is beautiful. Thoughts on what this 'thing' is?

2. I'm confused about the motel to be honest. Why aren't there any reviews from previous guests anywhere? Why are they not featured on any travel guide sites? How do they attract travelers without a website*, a rarity in 2015? Not a single review in the 15+ years since they opened? Are there any locals on WS who can tell us more about this place? Why Lyle was attracted to this establishment? How did he know about it?

* They list their website on their Yellow Pages listing as a computer repair business called '4D Computers' in the Lacey, WA, area. What's all that about?

3. Who was there on Monday morning when Lyle was found? I read on here that the maid said that Lyle was the only person checking out on Monday morning (so he told them when he was leaving) but yet BW and GB* were not on the premises, right? He came to the motel after being called by the maid; she was in Olympia as per the case file. So if Lyle didn't do what he did, who would have collected his room keys and the money he owed? The maid? Is that usual practice?

* It didn't dawn on me until I read the case files again but GB would have only been in his mid-twenties at the time, right? I know that nothing to do with anything but he had amassed a mini business empire by a young age (someone on here said he owned the grocery store as well)! Good for him.

4. The fact that Lyle left so much money puzzles me (enough for four nights I think), but that's been covered in great detail already on here.

5. Anyone notice that a whole roll of toilet paper has been used and thrown in the bathroom garbage bin? There's also what looks like rolled up tissue/toilet paper in the room bin too (the one with the newspaper). It looks hard - as if it's been wet.

6. To establish whether someone is "pacing up and down" the highway suggests that Lyle was being watched for a considerable amount of time. He wasn't just pacing, but rather pacing "up and down". However, the motel is not on the main road according to Google Maps, so I wonder how BW knew this. Unless someone who was working at the grocery store told her (echoing point 3 about the store/motel being connected).

7. I know eyewitness testimony are flawed at the best of times, but one would imagine that you could remember if someone had a backpack or not (BW said she couldn't be certain). They had two interactions - when Lyle checked in and when he changed rooms - and I imagine she would have seen him from the back as he exited the front desk area. How many people would she had checked in that weekend, anyway? Less than 10? This isn't a Hilton where hundreds of guests are coming and going; I thought a detail like this would be remembered only a couple of days after the fact, but obviously not. This also differs from GB's statement where he says that Lyle arrived with no bags of clothes.

8. "The subject was seen by several people standing on the porch of his room on Saturday afternoon." That's it? Didn't these "people" go into any further detail? It's all a bit vague.

9. Was Lyle wearing his underwear inside-out? Or is that the label from the Levi's jeans? Can anyone tell? Photo is NSFW.

10. According to the case files, the maid never actually managed to clean the room that weekend (Lyle refused room service on Saturday but asked for clean towels, and then flat out "sent her away" on Sunday!). Yet, the bag in the bathroom garbage bin looks like it's been emptied to me (the bag isn't fitted to the bin like it is in room 8). I wonder if Lyle disposed of his belongings in this bag?

Welcome to Ws. ChloeJ!
Excellent first post, plenty to ponder!
:welcome:

In response to ChloeJ's question about the pic of paper, wonder if that is drafting paper, iirc, Lyle's pen was found in his pocket.

Large construction project in the area circa 2001..

https://www.duke-energy.com/news/releases/2001/Oct/2001101001.html
My dad, grandpa and sister are draftsman/woman and come to think of it, that is a possibility. The pen is right, and all cap block lettering is a common form of printing on that type of paper,similar to the word suicide, because all caps like blocks are used for titles, project names, blueprints etc. This was pre-CAD and my dad and sis hand draw, print a lot still without computer. So that is an entirely real possibility, which would make the word fit based on his occupation its something they do without thinking, it could be he wrote it not really paying attention.

Here it is from a slightly different angle: Photo

With its thin consistency, it does look like drafting paper. I can't think what else it could be right now. The question is: Seeing as BW didn't mention it, how did Lyle smuggle it past the front desk without her noticing; presumably it would have been rolled up (and placed in the backpack?), but it looks pretty flat with no creases. Unless he bought it on his travels after arriving at the motel.

Unless it's something the detectives brought for wrapping evidence or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo