WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe...you should all see "the mask you live in" wohhhhh what are we creating for the young men... coming to be lovers, fathers.....scary.....

I don't want to dismiss the 9/11 theory completely, but wouldn't he have had to get across the length of the country in just four or five days – which, given that he arrived in Amanda Park by bus, is a bit unlikely?

Has anybody heard the name Anthony Janvier mentioned in relation to this case? Janvier was last seen in Cold Lake, Alberta (1200km from Amanda Park, WA) in April 1998 but wasn't reported missing until five months after Lyle's death because of his "transient lifestyle". He would account for the possible Canadian accent that hotel staff reported hearing – and would it explain why US police have found it difficult to identify Lyle? Janvier is listed as 6'1, Lyle 6'2. Janvier would have been 25 at the time of Lyle's death, which is almost bang in the middle of the predicted age range for Lyle. Both have brown eyes, even though Janvier was a little heavier than Lyle when he disappeared. And significantly, Janvier is described as being 'aboriginal'.

The similarities between them are certainly striking – Janvier has the same eyebrows, jawline, top lip and an attached earlobe, from what I can tell from the RCMP's pictures. And that nose...

They're not a spitting image by any means – there are marks on Janvier's face that don't quite seem to match up with morgue photos of Lyle, including a small scar adjacent to his right eyebrow. But the similarities, the timings, the distances...? Anybody else see it?

We have no proof that Lyle came in with either bus because neither driver remembered him

I have been thinking so much about this lately and don't know why... I know that the way Lyle left this world... he didn't want us to know who he was, but it is unfair to us. I believe that as a society we should and must honor one another.... I think my desire to uncover Lyle's identity is not just mere curiosity. It has always touched me how Lyle decided to end his life, and although I may possess some understand of why he would want to do that, I still have the sense of giving him back his real name, his real identity, the real name and essence of the person that once breathed. And of course, those who loved and lost him absolutely deserve to know what happened to him.

I have always believed that if I saw a picture of Lyle, I would know it was him. I have seen so many pictures, so many possibilities and there has never been one that I suspected could be Lyle.

Always wondered why there has not been a DNA test to connect Lyle to his family... or to those who have loved him. Is it the lack of resources? or what?

Sorry for rambling, just thoughts.

We really do not know if Lyle Stevik is his real name or not.
As far as his DNA for family tree, I'm not sure if his LE are letting Colleen Fitzpatrick do it.

I want to bump the isotope results for the newer members. I typed them out 11-19-2016

Thanks Alley!
I feel his heritage is a European mix. Have you read the Reddit thread about his heritage where they break everything down?

Lyle Stevik Isotope results on google drive

Summary
Measured oxygen stable isotope ratios of sequential hair segments from the decedent exhibited variation throughout the 12 months preceding the death of the individual, suggesting he had likely moved or traveled multiple times within that period. The measured stable oxygen isotope ratios were used to predict two regions within the continental USA where the individual might have resided in the months preceding his death. At the time of death, the oxygen isotope ratio data for the decedent's hair were not consistent with values expected for a resident of Amanda Park, Washington. The isotopic evidence supports the position that the individual was a traveler through Amanda Park at the time of death, coming from a region characterized by a warmer climate. However, the isotope record observed in the hair 1-2 months before death WAS consistent with a resident of Amanda Park, Washington.

When placed into geographic information system (GIS) region-of-region models, interpretation of the measured oxygen isotope ratios predicted geographical regions across the continental USA consistent with places where the individual could have resided before death. Measured stable oxygen isotope ratio values of hair sample EV-389 predicted that:

(1) The individual lead a transient lifestyle in the 12 months before death and was traveling within a month prior to his death; and

(2) Approximately 1-2 months prior to death, the individual resided in a region ("Iso-Region 1") consistent with portions of the Pacific Coast states, INCLUDING Gray's Harbor County in Washington, plus some Western States (extreme Southern Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and extreme Western Oklahoma), some Mid West States, and some North East States, as well as portions of Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia and

(3) Approximately 2.5 to 4.5 months prior to death and also 11 to 12 months prior to death, the individual resided in a region ("Iso-Region 2") characterized by a warmer climate then "Iso-Region 1", which is consistent with California, Southern Arizona and New Mexico, Western Texas and Oklahoma, plus portions of several Mid West states and North East states as well as Southern states (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and extreme Northern Georgia.

________ TOOTH ISOTOPES _________

oxygen isotope analysis of enamel collected from the molar provided information on the decedent's residence during his childhood. The measure oxygen stable isotope ratios of tooth sample EV-387 WERE NOT CONSISTENT with values expected for a resident of Amanda Park, Washington. The enamel oxygen isotopes predict that the decedent may have spent his childhood:

(1) In isolated portions of some West states, including California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas or Oklahoma; or

(2) In several Midwest States, including regions along the shores of the Great Lakes *notation, Canada included; and

(3) In portions of some South and North East states (Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina border, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and coastal portions of New Hampshire and Maine).

________ CONCLUSION HAIR ISOTOPES _________

In an initial evaluation of the data, the measured values of the hair suggests that:

(1) The decedent lead a transient lifestyle in the 12 months before death, likely making at least FIVE TRAVEL MOVEMENTS

(2) He had moved or traveled just prior to death from "Iso-Region 1" to a region characterized by a warmer climate, as indicated by an increase in the measured oxygen isotope ratios of his hair beginning 1 month before death. Higher values for hair are typically associated with warmer regions that are more coastal or at lower latitudes or elevations (see appendix 3 for spatial map)

(3) The individual was residing in "Iso-Region 1" during the time interval approximately 1 to 2 months before death and he moved to that region from a location characterized by a warmer climate. This conclusion is based upon the decrease in the measured oxygen isotope ratios of the hair, as observed in the time period 2.5 to 2 months before death.

(4) At approximately 2.5 to 4.5 months prior to death, it appears the individual was residing in a region characterized by a warmer climate that "Iso-Region 1". He also resided in this "Iso-Region 2" approximately 11 to 12 months before death and possibly again 6 months before death, although the residence at 6 months would have been a brief duration.

(5) Between the periods of residency in "Iso-Region 2" approximately 11 months before death and again possibly 6 months before death, the individual MOVED or TRAVELED AT LEAST THREE TIMES. Evidence for this conclusion is found in the decrease in the measured oxygen isotope ratios of the hair between 11 and 10 months, followed by an increase in the measured oxygen isotope ratios of the hair between 10 and 8 months and then another decrease between 8 and 7 months. The increase included the highest values measured for the hair, indicative of a region/ climate that was warmer than either "Iso-Region 1" or "Iso-Region 2".

(6) One interpretation of these data is that the individual resided in "Iso-Region 2" for two time intervals in the 12 months before his death, but made moves from this region to regions with a cooler climate and then a warmer climate in the time period 11 to 6 months before death. Approximately 2 months before death, he left "Iso-Region 2" for a region with a cooler climate. - "Iso-Region 1". THIS REGION IS CONSISTENT WITH AMANDA PARK, WASHINGTON. However, he had moved again in the month before death to a region with a warmer climate than "Iso-Region 1". That region MAY have been "Iso-Region 2", but this cannot be definitively determined based on the isotope record available in his hair.

Irrespective of how correct the geographic interpretations of the isotope data are deemed to be, it is evident from the measured hair oxygen isotope ratios that this decedent was a traveler. During the 12 month period prior to his death, the individual had likely resided in at least two isotopically distinct geographic regions and made at least three additional travel movements of short duration, two between approximately 8 and 11 months before death and one within the month before death. In the next section, we evaluate where these regions might have been.

________ Iso-Region 1 _________

The possibilities for "Iso-Region 1" include areas within a geographic band - not a specific location. In theory the hair isotope data for "Iso-Region 1" are consistent with any of the shaded regions identified in figure 4 and include several states in the USA: Washington (including Grays Harbor County), Oregon, California, extreme Southern Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, extreme Western Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, West Virginia, extreme Western Virginia and Maryland, Eastern Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and isolated portion of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

________ Iso-Region 2 _________

At approximately 2.5 to 4.5 months prior to death, and also 11 to 12 months prior to death it appears the decedent resided in a region with a warmer climate ("Iso-Region 2"). The individual may have also RESIDED BRIEFLY in this region approximately 6 months before death. The predicted regions for these periods of residence include lower latitude portions of several of the same states predicted for "Iso-Region 1", as well as additional states in the South, Northeast, and Midwest USA: Texas Illinois, Indiana, extreme northern Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Delaware, and Rhode Island.

We note that Washington, Oregon, and Nevada WERE NOT INCLUDED in the predictions for "Iso-Region 2".

Just before death, the decedent appears to have again moved or traveled to or through a region with a climate that was warmer than "Iso-Region 1". As the oxygen isotope values of his hair did not reach a consistent value before he died, we cannot determine what states this region may have included.

There are multiple reasons why individuals move and travel to different locations in short time intervals such as the 12 months period represented by the decedents hair. We offer no explanations here. We note only that figure 1 and 2 are consistent with the individual having resided in a cooler climate region approximately 1-2 months before death, following a move from a cooler climate region; the decedent that again moved or traveled to a warmer climate region just before death. Figured 1 and 2 are also consistent with the individual having made at least three separate major movements or travels between 11 and 6 months before his death and possibly several minor movements as well. We cannot speculate further on the location of these regions based only on oxygen isotope ratios measured for hair. Perhaps other aspects of the investigation may shed additional insights.

________ Interpretations _________

Similarities between the isotope data recorded by the decedents tooth enamel and hair suggests that the individual may have possibly returned to the region where he lived during his childhood within the 12-month period prior to death (evidenced by similarities between Iso-Region 2 predicted for the hair and predictions for the molar)

Bit of hope tried to establish a timeline of Lyle's movements using the isotope summary

Hi there,

I tried to establish a timeline of Lyle's movements using the summary Rosevr made of the isotope findings. For what is is worth....

Found: 17 September 2001, Amanda Park, Gray Habour County, Washington

Childhood: Not a resident of Amanda Park, Washington, most likely spent his childhood in:

1) Inisolated portions of some West states, including California, Arizona, NewMexico, Texas or Oklahoma; or

(2) In several Midwest States, including regions along the shores of the GreatLakes *notation, Canada included; and

(3) In portions of some South and North East states (Kentucky, Tennessee, NorthCarolina border, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey,New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and coastal portions of New Hampshire andMaine).

September 2000 – September 2001 traveling, multiple times (at least 5 travel movements) within the USA continent (12 months prior to his dead)

September 2000/Oktober 2000 (11 – 12 months prior to his dead)
UID resided in a region ("Iso-Region2") with warmer climate which is consistent with California, SouthernArizona and New Mexico, Western Texas and Oklahoma, plus portionsof several Mid West states and North East states as well as Southern states(Maryland, Delaware, Virginia,West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and extreme Northern Georgia.

March 2001
possibly travelled again 6 months before death to Iso-Region 2, although the residence at 6 months would have been abrief duration.

1 May 2001 (estimated 4,5 months prior to dead) UID resided in a region ("Iso-Region2") with warmer climate which is consistent with California, Southern Arizona and New Mexico, Western Texas and Oklahoma, plus portions of severalMid West states and North East states as well as Southern states (Maryland,Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and extremeNorthern Georgia. We note that Washington, Oregon, and Nevada WERE NOT INCLUDED in the predictions for "Iso-Region 2". HUHH What does this mean in plain English?

1 July 2001 (estimated 2,5 months prior to dead) UID resided in a region ("Iso-Region2") with warmer climate which is consistent with California, SouthernArizona and New Mexico, Western Texas and Oklahoma, plus portions of severalMid West states and North East states as well as Southern states (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and extremeNorthern Georgia.

We note that Washington, Oregon, and NevadaWERE NOT INCLUDED in the predictions for "Iso-Region 2". Huhhh...here I lost it...
July 2001/August 2001(somewhere in this period/estimated)resided/visited Amanda Park, Washington (isotope record 1-2 months before dead consistent with resident Amanda Park, Washington)

17 July 2001 (2 months prior to dead) / 17 August (1 month prior to dead
), resided in a region ("Iso-Region1") consistent with portions of the Pacific Coast states, INCLUDING GrayHarbor County in Washington.

plus some Western States (extreme Southern Nevada, Arizona,
New Mexico, Colorado, and extreme Western Oklahoma), some Mid West States, and some North East States, as well as portions of Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia.

How can New Mexico, West Virginia and Virginia be in Iso-region 1 an at the same time in Iso-Region 2?

17 August/? September 2001
Moved or traveled just prior to death from "Iso-Region 1" to a region characterized by a warmer climate, as indicated by an increase in the measured oxygen isotope ratios of his hair beginning 1 month before death.

17 September 2001 (date found
), traveling through/to Amanda Park, Washington, coming from a region with a warmer climate (could have come with bus, two busses at that time; a bus from Port Angeles (south) and a bus came up from Aberdeen(northbound))

Hi all I'm new here and have posted on this thread a couple times,I found a group on fb for Lyle and there are some recent post from a lady saying she would see him on a train in Illinois don't know how much validity the story holds but the daughter of the woman who found him is a member she's answered a lot of question about the day she found him I'll ask admin if I can post the link

Hi all I'm new here and have posted on this thread a couple times,I found a group on fb for Lyle and there are some recent post from a lady saying she would see him on a train in Illinois don't know how much validity the story holds but the daughter of the woman who found him is a member she's answered a lot of question about the day she found him I'll ask admin if I can post the link

Welcome to Websleuths! Lyle's FB pages/ group are linked here. When you go to the group, click on files, there's a post where you can add your WS name

I do not believe for one minute that his family knows he is our Lyle Stevik and just choose to stay silent. Ridiculous.

I do not believe for one minute that his family knows he is our Lyle Stevik and just choose to stay silent. Ridiculous.
I agree. It kind of reminds me of the FLEK mystery that was just solved. Her family was looking for her but it seems her mother was elderly and not internet saavy. Even though her story was all over the cyber world, and in some MSM, it never reached her family, until she was linked by a sleuth by DNA. He was clean, well cared for, including teeth. I also remember so many thought FLEK was from the west and she was from the east. So even we know this story so well, millions of people in North American have never heard it, or seen the pics. I am guessing his family is among them.

Maybe Lyle didn't actually think he was making it that difficult? I mean, maybe he never thought for a second that we would all be sat here 15 years later still calling him Lyle, still wondering who he was and still without identification. Maybe he just walked into a hotel, thought up a fake name because of other reasons and killed himself. Maybe his name change wasn't to do with him not wanting people to know who he was at all.

Someone mentioned that the name he assumed might have possibly been his real name. If it was his real name the authorities would be able to verify that. There is a social security number, driver's license and many other records and government system that would confirm his identity if his name was indeed Lyle Stevick. I mean, this person has had a job before, has paid taxes and has a credit histroy. Even the most low key, out of radar people can be confirmed and verified of their identity. In my opinion, and i believe it is pretty obvious with all the facts given that Lyle Stevick wasn't this young man's real name.

well, I think yeah, his name change did have everything to do with his plans of not wanting to be known or identified. I mean, this person had disposed of almost all personal belongings includin critical things like identification. He definitely didn't want to be identified, and if he thought he could be one day and took every single step that he could to make sure it is as challenging as it can be.

He might have been protecting someone, escaping from something or not wanting tom draw attention to himself in a personal way. Whatever the reasons were for the suicide, we have all the indications to think that he had thought of it for a while and went to a great effort to execute it the way he found appropriate. One thing remains pretty clear - hiding his real identity was extremely important to him.

It's not like he was at home and he wen't out of his way to get rid of everything he ever owned relating to his identity. He was at a hotel, he would have had clothes and that's it not much more I'm sure. He could have a shed load of identifying factors at his actual home.

Bless you Lyle....be save....be happy...be dead...that's what you wanted....letting him go now......

He might have been protecting someone, escaping from something or not wanting tom draw attention to himself in a personal way. Whatever the reasons were for the suicide, we have all the indications to think that he had thought of it for a while and went to a great effort to execute it the way he found appropriate. One thing remains pretty clear - hiding his real identity was extremely important to him.
I wonder if the authorities know who he was and never pursued it because he worked for them or maybe he was in witsec.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wonder if the authorities know who he was and never pursued it because he worked for them or maybe he was in witsec.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Anything is possible, but I highly doubt that. here is why... His post-morten pictures have ben made public, details have beenble. publicized as well. In this case, the authorities could have done nothing if someone came forward to know Lyle. If Lyle was a person of interest in some way, peope who wanted him to remain unidentified would have done everything to keep his death as detail-free as possible.

He was at a motel in the middle of nowhere. I tend to think he knew he was going to commit suicide at some point. The use of the name might have been his personal foreboding. If he wanted to completely disappear he could have walked miles into the nearby wilderness, and chances would be good, nobody would find his body. Though I think he was suicidal, I think he acted impulsively to do it at that instant. Most likely his story has just not found its way to the right eyes and ears.

He was at a motel in the middle of nowhere. I tend to think he knew he was going to commit suicide at some point. The use of the name might have been his personal foreboding. If he wanted to completely disappear he could have walked miles into the nearby wilderness, and chances would be good, nobody would find his body. Though I think he was suicidal, I think he acted impulsively to do it at that instant. Most likely his story has just not found its way to the right eyes and ears.

Yes, he did pick that name because it meant something to him. And yes, I do agree with your observation that he had had thought of suicide at last for a while. Yes, I think you are right. If he just wanted to die with no trace he could have walked into wilderness and die of exposure somewhere very remote. But I think it’s unlikely that he did that based on the fact that he had thought of suicide, and was not a decision of the moment. I think the longer it is thought about the more likely the person have determination and pick a route that’s relatively fast. Even the way he hanged himself, he knelt down to suffocate… he could have stood up at any point and choose to live rather than die. It tells me that this person didn’t have a change of heart and acted with great determination. I don’t think it was due to an impulsive decision... his planning was very thorough.

Yes, he did pick that name because it meant something to him. And yes, I do agree with your observation that he had had thought of suicide at last for a while. Yes, I think you are right. If he just wanted to die with no trace he could have walked into wilderness and die of exposure somewhere very remote. But I think it’s unlikely that he did that based on the fact that he had thought of suicide, and was not a decision of the moment. I think the longer it is thought about the more likely the person have determination and pick a route that’s relatively fast. Even the way he hanged himself, he knelt down to suffocate… he could have stood up at any point and choose to live rather than die. It tells me that this person didn’t have a change of heart and acted with great determination. I don’t think it was due to an impulsive decision... his planning was very thorough.

I do think he was contemplating suicide if not planning it. I just think he chose that moment more suddenly. He would not have to die of exposure by walking into the wilderness. He could gave hung himself on a tree. I wonder if he realized he was running out of money. Could there be a western union window somewhere nearby? Its too many years to check on memories, but perhaps he was growing more desperate. I brought up the wilderness, because he seems to have gone pretty far to hide his identity, but wouldn't had worked even better if he hid his own body so to speak by walking miles away from everyone? I not sure he thought it all through, or perhaps just reached a point it did not matter.

Do you know for definite he picked that name because it meant something to him then? I thought we were still in between whether it meant something or whether it was just a name. I mean, like I said up thread, my username is not my real name but it's what people call me, it means something to me, so I do agree it meant something to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1