WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the theory of his weight loss is just mere speculation. To some he may look emaciated, but in reality, he may have just been naturally thin. Some people have that kind of body type and what others see as abnormal, unhealthy and too thin may be their normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not just that he was thin. His belt shows wear at increasingly tighter notches, as if the wearer had been losing weight for some time.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

^I think this is accurate and important to remember. I dont think he wasn't reported missing.

The man I found was posted on a missing person's journalist's facebook page that has 500k likes. However, the post is just one of many with less than 1000 likes/shares. Carlos wasn't reported missing in the USA at least from what I found. Perhaps he felt disillusioned and depressed about not finding work in the states and killed himself? It could be anything and likely not criminal. In the post, the sister of the man says he went to the US to find a better life.

I haven't found out much else besides what I wrote on reddit. Seeing the pictures of his young male relatives have almost convinced me this is a match. The physical similarities are unmistakable. Along with the date the sister says he went missing in the post. (Sept 12, 2001) -- a mere 4 days before Lyle died. However one facebook comment by a supposed friend of Carlos contradicts this so we don't know if the last seen date is accurate or not.

Pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/teyt0

http://imgur.com/a/8IvlO

The missing part... Yeah, that's true. There are many people who go missing and nobody reports them due to disconnection in their relationships, cirucmstances, etc. The man you mention is not in any US missing persons database. How long had he been in the US at that time? What was his immigration status? If he didn't even have residency and didn't work jobs that required background check, then it is easy to see why he would stay out of radar. Did he have any family or friends in the US, or he just moved for work. If he didn't have anybody close then people who used to know might have assumed that moved away without saying much.

If one has been traveling a lot, making lots if acquaintances and continually moving from place to place, it is extremely easy to just be a transient and remote memory in someone's mind. If Lyle was from a different country, it surely explains as to why no one has comes forward to recognize him. I don't think people in other countries are aware if this case - they certainly have issues of their own to deal with.

So, what was the last time anyone saw Carlos? Are we able to establish a solid timeline here? What about him? What was he like? How can we reach out to the family? I don't use facebook and don't speak Spanish so I don't really know what my options are here.

It's not just that he was thin. His belt shows wear at increasingly tighter notches, as if the wearer had been losing weight for some time.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Yeah, I remember that, but that still doesn't explain the weight loss theory. The belt could have simply been longer/ bigger for him, or he could have purchased a used one. All I am saying that in my opinion that is not a solid evidence to state that he lost significant amount of weight. It's like finding someone dead in baggy clothes that are 3x larger than their regular size and assuming that the person lost significant amount of weight. It's simply an assumption, not a conclusion from anything.

One major issue I see with him being a recent Mexican immigrant would be that Lyle was said to be an English speaker with a possibly Canadian accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One major issue I see with him being a recent Mexican immigrant would be that Lyle was said to be an English speaker with a possibly Canadian accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the eye witness is very vague and foggy in their description, so one could potentially argue that he doesn't remember the right thing. Also, Lyle didn't appear to say much, so I am not sure why it was assumed that he was a Canadian. It wasn't like he was hanging out at the front desk and carrying on a conversation. If they only exchanged a few words, I am not confident the person who interacted with him could sum up his background so quickly. So, I remain skeptical.

As a Canadian myself I have no idea what a Canadian accent is and what people mean by it. Acadian? Quebec French? Newfoundland accent? Canada is a big country. Very vague.

I don't speak Spanish myself but a couple of people have volunteered to reach out. We will see what comes of it, I will post here or reddit. Don't have any more information

As a Canadian myself I have no idea what a Canadian accent is and what people mean by it. Acadian? Quebec French? Newfoundland accent? Canada is a big country. Very vague.

I can usually tell if someone is from Canada by the way they say words like out, about, shout, etc.
It's sounds more like aboot, shoot, and root, instead of ow/pow. It's a nuance I picked up on when I watched "You can't do that on Television" which was filmed in Ottawa, I think. That one diphthong gives it away, at least for me, anyway.
I guess I'm not the only one who has picked up on that, someone actually made a video of it, LOL
[video=youtube;PwI5z29BAjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwI5z29BAjQ[/video]

Like the characters in Fargo. :)

FWIW people in the Upper Plains region of the US speak with an accent close to what is described as a "Canadian" accent. It's a regional thing.

I still stand by the theory that Lyle might have been abusing a drug or drinking heavily for a period leading up to his death. Suicide is not the act of a well adjusted person who is feeling fine. Not speaking down to anyone here.

I can usually tell if someone is from Canada by the way they say words like out, about, shout, etc.
It's sounds more like aboot, shoot, and root, instead of ow/pow. It's a nuance I picked up on when I watched "You can't do that on Television" which was filmed in Ottawa, I think. That one diphthong gives it away, at least for me, anyway.
I guess I'm not the only one who has picked up on that, someone actually made a video of it, LOL
[video=youtube;PwI5z29BAjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwI5z29BAjQ[/video]

Even though that's true, that's a generalization. I have known many Canadians. Some sound "Canadian" and many others don't.

FWIW people in the Upper Plains region of the US speak with an accent close to what is described as a "Canadian" accent. It's a regional thing.

I still stand by the theory that Lyle might have been abusing a drug or drinking heavily for a period leading up to his death. Suicide is not the act of a well adjusted person who is feeling fine. Not speaking down to anyone here.

I respect your viewpoint but I also don't understand how you arrived there.

Not all people who committed suicide are ex-alcoholics and drug addicts who snap one day. I can think of tons of people who committed suicide due to deep depression, loneliness, isolation and just pain.

What is "well adjusted" in your mind? It is safe to say that someone who decides to check out bears an overwhelming deal of pain that an average person doesn't.

Even though that's true, that's a generalization. I have known many Canadians. Some sound "Canadian" and many others don't.
I know a lot of Canadians, too. Is this some sort of competition? LOL

Agree about the regional accents. Accents in upstate New York sound "Canadian" and so do Michigan and other upper midwestern states...and accents within Canada differ widely to those with well-tuned ears (sort of like in the US South -- to someone living in North Carolina, there are many, many flavors of Southern accent and Texas sounds nothing like North Carolina, and various parts of North Carolina have their own accent, and South Carolina sounds pretty different from NC and Louisana is its own thing...etc.).

However, to the statement that Lyle "might" have been abusing a drug or drinking heavily... no. Well, OK, "might" is a pretty serious hedge, so yes, he also "might" have done a lot of things. But I don't see anything in this case that would suggest he was a substance abuser. I don't even know of any study that shows that people who commit suicide are more likely to be substance abusers than the general population. Of course he wasn't "feeling fine" but there are many ways of being "not fine" and not all of them involve substance abuse. Maybe he did abuse substances, maybe not. I don't recall anything about his autopsy saying that he had a high blood alcohol level or that his tox screen came back positive for this or that substance.

On reddit someone posted they tried to order emails pertaining to the case via FOIA; it was denied with LE saying its now a criminal case. I think someone used the wrong term to deny the records and nothing more

On reddit someone posted they tried to order emails pertaining to the case via FOIA; it was denied with LE saying its now a criminal case. I think someone used the wrong term to deny the records and nothing more

Very possible. Also interesting how the records were denied. If there is an ongoing investigation, that would make it understandable.

Two different cases (Andrea Doe and an unidentified man in Reno) announced identifications today based on cold hits on fingerprints that have apparently been recently added to AFIS. So maybe there could be new news on that front after all.

ETA: this is the information from Washoe JD's article:

“The FBI’s recent NamUs system has added additional resources so new hits, or information, are being obtained on old cases despite having run the fingerprints through the system previously,” says Dr. Knight. “Medical examiners and coroners across the U.S. are obtaining identification on individuals from unidentified cold cases from 10, 20, or more years ago. This allows those cases to finally be closed, and those individuals to finally be laid to rest.”

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/...uckee-River-in-2008-identified-421916053.html

Two different cases (Andrea Doe and an unidentified man in Reno) announced identifications today based on cold hits on fingerprints that have apparently been recently added to AFIS. So maybe there could be new news on that front after all.

ETA: this is the information from Washoe JD's article:

“The FBI’s recent NamUs system has added additional resources so new hits, or information, are being obtained on old cases despite having run the fingerprints through the system previously,” says Dr. Knight. “Medical examiners and coroners across the U.S. are obtaining identification on individuals from unidentified cold cases from 10, 20, or more years ago. This allows those cases to finally be closed, and those individuals to finally be laid to rest.”

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/...uckee-River-in-2008-identified-421916053.html

That could be a big break in this case, and a few others that have fingerprints available.
I wonder if this means they will start putting military fingerprints into AFIS now?

That could be a big break in this case, and a few others that have fingerprints available.
I wonder if this means they will start putting military fingerprints into AFIS now?

The information on Andrea Doe/Andrea Kuiper's announcement says she was fingerprinted when she applied for a Federal job, so it sounds like they've probably added at least a hundred thousand prints, maybe more. Also sounds like maybe more sophisticated or intelligent analysis software. The quotes sound like many people have been identified.

Now I'm all jittery wondering who else will be located.

The information on Andrea Doe/Andrea Kuiper's announcement says she was fingerprinted when she applied for a Federal job, so it sounds like they've probably added at least a hundred thousand prints, maybe more. Also sounds like maybe more sophisticated or intelligent analysis software. The quotes sound like many people have been identified.

Now I'm all jittery wondering who else will be located.

Me, too! This is very exciting.
(rbbm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members